NEW PETS!!!

NEW PETS!!!

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Is it just me or does the tiger just feel like the red-headed step child of the mix. It even got skipped in the reveal…

Personally I would have liked a raptor instead of a reskinned panther.

You’ll have one. A shadowstepping, smokefield making bundle of teeth and victory. Tiger was the first one revealed BTW.

Didn’t get the in depth treatment the other ones did, but Tiger was shown first.

Smokescale is a quadruped that looks like it uses the same rig and sound files as the rockhound.

Could have swore the tameable ones walked on their hind legs and had itty bitty arms. Seemed very raptorish. I could certainly be wrong.

Yeah, I’m wrong.

I looked at the Druid reveal on Dulfy, it’s a quadruped dino. Still a toothy dangerous critter, but it’s not a raptor.

Works for me though. We got wyverns. This is acceptable to me.

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: ReiCH.6273

ReiCH.6273

Don’t know if someone’s mentioned this already but since we’re getting new pets, can we please have them remember their own names and not be juvenille any more? At least the new ones… can we do that? please?

In most games, Casuals are the majority. In GW2, Casuals are the game. Azumi.9572

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Then we will find out the location for these pets is someplace we might reach in several months using an entire large guild. We can only stay there by ourselves for a few minutes without dying. Oh, and there is a good chance the pet will not be there when you arrive.

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Must admit that the mere idea of a Wyvern pet is tempting, but a bit expensive IMO.

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

OH.MY.GOD!!! They Wyverns are sooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOooooo cute!!! . I can’t wait! My ranger shall now be complete!

and thats the main problem with ranger and their pets since release….

people choose them cause of the skin

why anet dont you detach pet skins from their skills?

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Because having a pig flying around breathing fire would be very weird?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Weird…

Yes.

Very cool….

Also yes.

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

and now people choose the weakest pets only cause their are sooooooo cuuuuuuuuute and wondering why they are kicked after entering dungeons^^ thats even more weird behaviour than breathing fire flying pigs

and btw we´re killing fire elemental with fire ….. the game is also weird out now

(edited by Zaron.1987)

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

and now people choose the weakest pets only cause their are sooooooo cuuuuuuuuute and wondering why they are kicked after entering dungeons^^ thats even more weird behaviour than breathing fire flying pigs

and btw we´re killing fire elemental with fire ….. the game is also weird out now

Grats at being the most generalizing and passive aggressive post here. The happy face just makes people take you less seriously btw.
But no, continue on with insulting people just because they are excited about a new pet dragon. How dare they be happy about something that you don’t like.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Zalani.9827)

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Kitty.1502

Kitty.1502

Happy about the new pets, sad that the pets will suffer from the same crippling issues they’ve had for the past 3 years. I have given up hope that ArenaNet can fix pets. They fundamentally don’t understand rangers or pets.

Tarnished Coast-[NOPE]
Kitten – Zerker Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitten
Kitty Smallpaw – Condi Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitty%20Smallpaw

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Pompeia.5483

Pompeia.5483

1) Killing FE with fire has always been the greatest amusement of mine and I specifically try to go to it, primarily, with my FT engi. It was one of the first things I noticed when I started playing GW2… elementals and creatures not being immune to their element or specific condi’s (like Earth ele’s immune to bleed) on a consistent basis. But I will abuse the hilarity and severe lack of logic for the laughs as long as I can. And I can assure you, my Dragon’s will be breathing fire on FE too.

2) Having the Fire Wyvryn completes my Daenerys character. You have no idea how amazingly exciting that is and happy I am to have two dragons with me at all times (Tequatl mini, too). I do not care, in the least, if it is a weaker pet or not. I theme all of my characters to someone from a book, movie, or TV show (not that I have anyone to RP with). I imagine this is true for others, too. It just makes the game that much more exciting.

Amanda Corsiva – Revenant && Katereyna – Chillomancer
Jenna Gracen – Scrapper && Merit Sullivan – Guardian
Daenerys Ceridwen – Druid && Vexia Gracen – Chronomancer

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

It was mentioned in the twitch stream that the new pets are not only for the Druid elite spec, but “for all rangers” as well.

https://youtu.be/K2ZHhJQn0B8?t=1650

Irenio – “’There are new pets that will be available in Heart of Thorns.”
Rubi – “And this is for all rangers, not just the druid.”
Irenio – “That’s right. This is kind of the thing that all rangers are getting access to in the Heart of Thorns.”

This is confusing to me. How can it be “all rangers” if the new pets are only available in HoT areas for those that own HoT? It would not be for all rangers, it would be only for rangers that own HoT.

As the juvenile form of the pet needs to be charmed, a regular ranger would not be able to get them as the juvenile form would only be available in HoT-only areas.

@Gaile (hiya, Gaile!)

• Is this just incomplete information given during the twitch stream by Rubi and Irenio or incorrect words used?
  • Do the new pets actually require HoT and the Druid elite specialization unlocked to get them, but once gotten they can be used by non-druid rangers?
  • Or is it as it came off as being – that HoT is not required to get the new pets as it was said that all rangers will have access to them?
  • And if they are available to all rangers, does this possibly mean that pact Tyria will be seeing Mordrem and the juveniles of the new pets for base rangers to charm so base rangers can charm them outside of HoT-only content areas?

Interesting questions! I’m going to ask Irenio if he has a chance to take a look at these. I’m vested in the Ranger in a major way, and I don’t want to misspeak.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

There is nothing wrong or sinister about the new pets being only available in HoT areas. The point is that even vanilla Rangers who purchase HoT will have access to them, that you don’t have to be Druid specced to slot these pets. That’s all good and they don’t owe people any more than that.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Todd.6573

Todd.6573

It was mentioned in the twitch stream that the new pets are not only for the Druid elite spec, but “for all rangers” as well.

Irenio – “That’s right. This is kind of the thing that all rangers are getting access to in the Heart of Thorns.”

This is confusing to me. How can it be “all rangers” if the new pets are only available in HoT areas for those that own HoT? It would not be for all rangers, it would be only for rangers that own HoT.

As the juvenile form of the pet needs to be charmed, a regular ranger would not be able to get them as the juvenile form would only be available in HoT-only areas.

@Gaile (hiya, Gaile!)

• Is this just incomplete information given during the twitch stream by Rubi and Irenio or incorrect words used?
  • Do the new pets actually require HoT and the Druid elite specialization unlocked to get them, but once gotten they can be used by non-druid rangers?
  • Or is it as it came off as being – that HoT is not required to get the new pets as it was said that all rangers will have access to them?
  • And if they are available to all rangers, does this possibly mean that pact Tyria will be seeing Mordrem and the juveniles of the new pets for base rangers to charm so base rangers can charm them outside of HoT-only content areas?

“In heart of thorns”, i would assume since “Heart of thorns” is the name of the expansion, they are available in the expansion areas (meaning rangers that can access those areas). Ergo – people that buy the expac.
They might make exeptions for SPvP though since they are all about even playingfields there.

Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.
- Theodore Roosevelt

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl.5802

Itzpapalotl.5802

Who says I take my ranger into dungeons? And even if I did, why does it matter to you anyway? It’s a cool pet and it’s adorable. Just because it “may” not be that great of a pet doesn’t mean I can’t have fun with it. So yes, I will remain excited about a new cool and cute pet…because I can and I will use it, whether you like it or not. Playing a game is about having fun not about what other people say someone should run. Good day.

(edited by Itzpapalotl.5802)

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

Ruby said several times how rushed all the guild chats were because of being done at Twitchcon and having to meet some kind constraint, so they were really just skimming a lot of stuff.

Regarding Smokescale; those are so much worse to fight than almost any other mob in the HoT betas. I think they could be really great pets, not only because they are tanky, but because they’ll blind your enemies. (If they have all their normal skills).

In the life-stream they did. I feel like smokescales will be nerfed and wyvern require a buff.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Irenio CalmonHuang

Previous

Irenio CalmonHuang

Game Designer

The new pets do not require that you have the druid elite specialization.
They will require that you find and tame them (outside of PvP).

The pets can be found on new jungle maps, so you’ll need to have Heart of Thorns to gain access to those new companions.

I hope that clarifies some of the confusion!

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: NeyteriKiyeri.4207

NeyteriKiyeri.4207

cool! New pets to collect My ranger is ready for that.

Follow your heart and your dreams won’t be far behind.

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: JerekLo.5893

JerekLo.5893

I will name my bristleback “pokey”.

Jerek Lo | Singh | Slagg Blackclaw | Wilhelm von Wilhelm | Viscerious
Sorrow’s Furnace
Kabal of the Righteous [Seed]

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: octagon.6504

octagon.6504

Where does it say that new pets will be in HoT zones only? I couldn’t find any quotes to that.

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Where does it say that new pets will be in HoT zones only? I couldn’t find any quotes to that.

Three posts above yours is pretty definitive.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

@Gaile (hiya, Gaile!)

You’re most certainly gonna need HoT to get the new ranger pets, but you’re not gonna need to be a druid to get them.

Irenio did not misspeak nor did he give incomplete information. What he says is pretty clear:
“’There are new pets that will be available in Heart of Thorns.
“That’s right. This is kind of the thing that all rangers are getting access to in the Heart of Thorns.

He specifically says “in the Heart of Thorns” e.g. the expansion pack.

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Akath.2650

Akath.2650

Will these new pets be available, in structure PVP, even for those that do not own a HoT copy?

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

Ruby said several times how rushed all the guild chats were because of being done at Twitchcon and having to meet some kind constraint, so they were really just skimming a lot of stuff.

Regarding Smokescale; those are so much worse to fight than almost any other mob in the HoT betas. I think they could be really great pets, not only because they are tanky, but because they’ll blind your enemies. (If they have all their normal skills).

In the life-stream they did. I feel like smokescales will be nerfed and wyvern require a buff.

They might, but I hope we can test them this weekend!

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

The new pets do not require that you have the druid elite specialization.
They will require that you find and tame them (outside of PvP).

The pets can be found on new jungle maps, so you’ll need to have Heart of Thorns to gain access to those new companions.

I hope that clarifies some of the confusion!

Thank you very much, Irenio, for taking the time to pop in here and supply detailed answers to my inquiry! I thoroughly enjoyed the druid reveal. You and Rubi did a great job presenting it and I look forward to romping about with it when HoT releases.

@Gaile
And thank you as well, Gaile, for inquiring on the exact details. I love ranger as well (I have 7 right now and will look to make several more after HoT’s release). I did not want to make any assumptions or misinterpret the information they shared on the new pets. I was immediately imagining wyverns flapping about in our existing, beloved areas and I did not want to get my hopes set on seeing that if it was just my misunderstanding. Thank you for all of your help with this and everything else!

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: Killjoy.9213

Killjoy.9213

Tigers are now officially on the “Tamable” list? By the love of Dwayna, I’n tearing up from emotions. :’)

EDIT: A-Net, you guys Have just won back my respect. I salute thee!

(edited by Killjoy.9213)

NEW PETS!!!

Posted by: ReiCH.6273

ReiCH.6273

Any words if pets will start remembering their own names any time soon? Sure it can’t be that hard to fix that one little super annoying thing…

I can’t be alone in this….

In most games, Casuals are the majority. In GW2, Casuals are the game. Azumi.9572