NPC mounts? Are you kidding?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: bmountjoy.1423

bmountjoy.1423

Why in the name of all things holy would the developers give NPC’s mounts and not players? More GW2 players have requested mounts than raids, and many players (myself included) will never ever raid, so wtf ANET?

The existence of waypoints is a ridiculous fallacy. When ANET tied the cost of repair to waypoints while leaving them in the lore as functional portals they completely eliminated any possible immersive perception of travel.

I never played the original GW because I hate human characters. The developers made more races available in GW2 because there are players like me who won’t even try a game without beast races. There are SOOOOOOO many people who will never even try this game because there are no mounts. On top of that, showing mounted NPC’s is just salt in the wound for players who want mounts (and I mean functional mounts, not that magic carpet trash.)

If you are a player who wants to exclude as many people as possible then I understand why you would not want mounts. If, however, you are a player who complains that this game does not have enough people then give up your prejudice and just deal with the addition of mounts.

I’ve played this game since the original beta in 2012 and I can’t even bring myself to log in anymore. The RP elements of this game need a complete overhaul. If you are an action gamer who hates RP elements that I ask you to consider whether your feelings are worth it if the result is a mass exodus of players from the game.

Posted by: JediYoda.1275

JediYoda.1275

they did it so they can taunt us all the way to bank with our money laughing at us

“If only ANet had some kind of forum they could use to communicate with us……”
“ANet. They never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity to not mess up.”
Mod “Posts created to cause unrest with unfounded claims are not allowed” lmao

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

theyre just critters with some special mechanics, fella.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I feel the same way about NPC fishermen.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Because NPC = master race!

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

So wait… you’re saying you’ve been playing a game without mounts since beta, and that you also feel that some sort of mass exodus will happen because some mobs use mounted models?

Uh. Dude. If mounts were that important to people they would have left a long time ago. There is no mass exodus happenning over a few mounted enemies (that are mounted for gameplay design purposes, not for travel)

I hate to break it to you, but “immersive travel” has never been a staple of the guild wars franchise. We had fast travel between every town and outpost in the first game as well (and it was free) because the game isn’t designed around wasting people’s time. Running isn’t a plus in GW2. It’s a death penalty, and it has always been that way.

The idea of someone that won’t play a game because there aren’t “beast races” is strange to me. You’re missing out on a huge number of fantastic games for reasons that I don’t quite understand.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Blackanthem.1603

Blackanthem.1603

So wait… you’re saying you’ve been playing a game without mounts since beta, and that you also feel that some sort of mass exodus will happen because some mobs use mounted models?

Uh. Dude. If mounts were that important to people they would have left a long time ago. There is no mass exodus happenning over a few mounted enemies (that are mounted for gameplay design purposes, not for travel)

I hate to break it to you, but “immersive travel” has never been a staple of the guild wars franchise. We had fast travel between every town and outpost in the first game as well (and it was free) because the game isn’t designed around wasting people’s time. Running isn’t a plus in GW2. It’s a death penalty, and it has always been that way.

The idea of someone that won’t play a game because there aren’t “beast races” is strange to me. You’re missing out on a huge number of fantastic games for reasons that I don’t quite understand.

^^ Exactly

Posted by: gannondorf.7628

gannondorf.7628

This thread again… Can we just play an MMORPG that oustide a bit of meta rpg? Why an MMORPG must have mounts? Is there wow that add this thing in MMORPG games? Mounts serve barely to nothing in gw2. This is already portals, and a charr or a norn mounting something? People who don’t want to try gw2 coz they want mounts, let them don’t play it, they narrow minded. I’m actually very glad to find an MMORPG when i don’t must to ride some odd beast that serve to nothing other than skin. Let gw2 like this.

(edited by gannondorf.7628)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I see. Yet another “I want X because every other game in the history of games has X” thread.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Because maps need to be designed for the mechanics within the game, and adding that might have altered the map in a way outside of its intended design— with the potential pitfall that whatever you added is so good, after all it wasn’t part of the design— that it breaks the content so badly it becomes almost mandatory. The new maps, for example, are designed with gliding as a main focus.

You can’t just put stuff in, just because.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

Mounts, here we go again…..

Posted by: Lysander Freeman.4186

Lysander Freeman.4186

Dagnar Stonepate, anyone?

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

If it’s the NPC I’m thikning of then it’s hardly a good advert for mounts. He fell off it and got his kitten handed to him.

He should have walked…

Posted by: Ranlares.2513

Ranlares.2513

This game would be ruined if we got mounts, please anet know, please stand your ground on mounts

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

who cares? Mounts would be pointless when we can just waypoint.

Posted by: tluv.5821

tluv.5821

Why in the name of all things holy would the developers give NPC’s mounts and not players? More GW2 players have requested mounts than raids, and many players (myself included) will never ever raid, so wtf ANET?

I highly doubt that is the case OP. More people have asked for challenging group content as opposed to a cosmetic skin. There was never a need for mounts as it was fairly easy to get around without speed boosts. And you get plenty of speed boosts as it is. I can get the idea if the maps were larger and things to do were sparse. But they aren’t. Waypoints add to the lore. And you say you can’t bring yourself to log in. To log in because you don’t have a mount. This is something they’ve stated from the beginning, since before launch. So you have been logging in all this time and are just now getting upset about them NOT implementing a feature that is obviously so important to you, that’s you’re own fault.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians
Formerly [QT] Questionable Tactics

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

Because maps need to be designed for the mechanics within the game, and adding that might have altered the map in a way outside of its intended design— with the potential pitfall that whatever you added is so good, after all it wasn’t part of the design— that it breaks the content so badly it becomes almost mandatory. The new maps, for example, are designed with gliding as a main focus.

thinking about it, if they ever do a crystal desert expansion, mounts could be a neat mechanic there (and only there, much like how gliders are magus falls only)

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

In contrast to the nay sayers kittenpond in their usual flamebait way like gannondorf, I don’t hate mounts but I also don’t really care that they aren’t (and probably won’t ever be) in GW2. Portals and waypoints fulfill their purpose well enough.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

How about use your two good legs and run forest run

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

thinking about it, if they ever do a crystal desert expansion, mounts could be a neat mechanic there (and only there, much like how gliders are magus falls only)

That actually sounds like a great idea, and it can perfectly be fit into the lore of the game. It makes perfect sense to get around on mounts in an endless, inhospitable area, and no sense whatsoever to have waypoints in random locations in a wasteland. I hope one of the devs sees this and keeps it in the back of his/her mind.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

But… this is a MMOG! MMOs = Mounts!
Do…Don’t they…? >.>

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

A game without mounts will never sell. Launching without a strong mount system guarantees that a game will fail fast and hard.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Anyone who stops playing a game because he saw an NPC riding a mount was going to stop anyway.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Roda.7468

Roda.7468

who cares? Mounts would be pointless when we can just waypoint.

I for one like seeing the scenery as I travel at a quick pace to my destination.
also it is tiring to see my character running across an entire region on foot.

(edited by Roda.7468)

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

A game without mounts will never sell. Launching without a strong mount system guarantees that a game will fail fast and hard.

I like the cut of your jib. +1

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

I for one like seeing the scenery as I travel at a quick pace to my destination.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_the_Traveler

Or with trait for fast travel. Then can enjoy travel faster and enjoy scene.

Sorry for you luck. But boots made for walking.

Do not like boots you can use broom or carpet for sale in gem store.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Nyraxx The Necromancer.1728

Nyraxx The Necromancer.1728

I think i’m really only interested in cosmetic mounts.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

I think i’m really only interested in cosmetic mounts.

Riding broom and carpet. Buy them and show support to Anet for cosmetic mount. Maybe they make more if people buy more already there.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

I like that some npc’s have mounts. Adds variety.

Having played other mmo’s that allow players to have mounts, I think it would a move in a bad direction. First player’s want mounts, then they want faster mounts, then they want flying mounts; then no ones on the ground anymore or traveling so quickly we’re not connected to the environment anymore.

gw2 has wp’s and movement speed increase’s. Personally I think the current system is a good balance for getting around.

OP said “On top of that, showing mounted NPC’s is just salt in the wound for players who want mounts (and I mean functional mounts, not that magic carpet trash.).” – So the real argument isn’t even rp, it’s either a matter of taste on anet’s part or op just wants to move faster.

Posted by: Kobra X.6903

Kobra X.6903

The existence of waypoints is a ridiculous fallacy. When ANET tied the cost of repair to waypoints while leaving them in the lore as functional portals they completely eliminated any possible immersive perception of travel.

I never played the original GW because I hate human characters. The developers made more races available in GW2 because there are players like me who won’t even try a game without beast races. There are SOOOOOOO many people who will never even try this game because there are no mounts. On top of that, showing mounted NPC’s is just salt in the wound for players who want mounts (and I mean functional mounts, not that magic carpet trash.)

If you are a player who wants to exclude as many people as possible then I understand why you would not want mounts. If, however, you are a player who complains that this game does not have enough people then give up your prejudice and just deal with the addition of mounts.

I’ve played this game since the original beta in 2012 and I can’t even bring myself to log in anymore. The RP elements of this game need a complete overhaul. If you are an action gamer who hates RP elements that I ask you to consider whether your feelings are worth it if the result is a mass exodus of players from the game.

Yup… I really believe Anet is head in the sand… Id love to see mounts not hangliding lmao.

Posted by: Roda.7468

Roda.7468

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Superior_Rune_of_the_Traveler

Or with trait for fast travel. Then can enjoy travel faster and enjoy scene.

That’s still at the pace of run. Just a slightly faster pace of run.

Sorry for you luck. But boots made for walking.

Do not like boots you can use broom or carpet for sale in gem store.

I tried the broom. It feels slow and soulless.
I want a mount with purpose! (Both functionally and character..ly!)

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

Give mounts +33% perma ms and they will break nothing. Also the core maps are easily breakable already anyway.

gw2 has wp’s and movement speed increase’s. Personally I think the current system is a good balance for getting around.

Not really, it’s annyoing as hell and it depends on your profession. Also based on your current build you have to change your traits/skills just to be faster. Open menus and click on buttons/items. Wow! Walk to your location and change everything back. – Open menus and click on buttons/items again. Wow!

IMO there are also too many waypoints. Once you have all you don’t really walk through the map, you just tp, tp and tp. I think less waypoints and mounts would have a better balance.

(edited by Neox.3497)

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I think mounts would be fine as long as they make it a utility skill. Provides a speed boost at cost of a utility.

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

Nope. I hope they never add mounts to this game.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

People who were going to quit over not having mounts were going to quit regardless if they added mounts

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Please keep in mind probably 95% of the plant life in this game does not have legs, those Mordrem probably were not created with workable legs so they need those mounts because of their disability; what’s next are you going to start throwing handicapped people out of their wheel chairs because you don’t get to have a mount?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

My argument against mounts three years ago was that NPCs didn’t use them. That’s still largely true, but not true enough that I would continue to use that as a reason going forward.

I’m mostly against mounts because I think they are both boring and distracting, but then I suppose a lot of skins and colors in this game are similarly boring or distracting.

tl;dr I really can’t think of any reason that mounts should not be in the game. (Still, I don’t really see them as improving anything either.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

My argument against mounts three years ago was that NPCs didn’t use them. That’s still largely true, but not true enough that I would continue to use that as a reason going forward.

I’m mostly against mounts because I think they are both boring and distracting, but then I suppose a lot of skins and colors in this game are similarly boring or distracting.

tl;dr I really can’t think of any reason that mounts should not be in the game. (Still, I don’t really see them as improving anything either.)

Those Mordrem are not using mounts, they are using them as handicapped devices; it’s another fine example that shows that Mordremoth is the dragon of the mind because it’s so thoughtful.

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Game is in sure need of mounts and and quickly as a matter of fact. Mounts have always been a cosmetic thing and the reason why mount requests have persisted since launch is because no one has ever given an adult answer to refute cosmetic claims.

However it goes further from that with HoT in that devas have gone out of there way to implement mounts without mounts. Mushrooms, traits, skills, runes, and masteries all exist to cover a mounts core duty is simply to much. HoT has a higher density of mobs and WPs are spread farther apart. We already have posts QQn about people not pressing the dead in more dangerous parts of the map. HoT shouldn’t become Orr I remember Orr as a map filled with mobs and ton if enemy CC and I don’t want HoT to become some kitten map. Speed is used to bypass mobs and people are forced to trait, rune, or place skills and weapons for that speed. If we had mounts people could bypass mobs to events without these silly running builds which is what they are and people refusing to wp during events because the wp is to far or other reasons wouldn’t be a problem. In my own case my main is a mesmer and I have travelers runes, focus, and signed of inspiration also while Chrono I have the mandatory 25% movement trait. With mounts none of that would be needed or probably exist. I’ve yet to get speed shrooms but its all to much to replace a simple thing like mounts.

Even with this HoT will no doubt be kittened because you can’t expect someone to change there build for the sake of speed. Yet the people who don’t are those who are picked off the tail end of a zerg or those zerged by mobs trying to get to an event or even those who refuse to waypoint.

Posted by: Dovienya.6597

Dovienya.6597

Dagnar Stonepate, anyone?

yeah, that’s the first thing that flashed in my mind the first time I saw the champ in the first story instance. I was also kind of hoping he was also unique because this thread also flashed in my mind, unfortunately.

Posted by: ChrizZcE.5981

ChrizZcE.5981

I´d love mounts in the game.

(edited by ChrizZcE.5981)

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Cosmetic mounts would sell good (not crap like magic carpet and broom…wtf).

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

Sarcasm? I hope so. If not it’s the funniest post in this thread, imho, because it’s so obviously uninformed and does not pertain to GW2 at all. Since this game is running quite well for more than 3 years now, without mounts, could you define “hard and fast” for me?

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

Sarcasm? I hope so. If not it’s the funniest post in this thread, imho, because it’s so obviously uninformed and does not pertain to GW2 at all. Since this game is running quite well for more than 3 years now, without mounts, could you define “hard and fast” for me?

I was just to respond him the same but you were obviously faster

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Posted by: Cosbuster.4379

Cosbuster.4379

Well, you can always press “F” to steal their mount, just beware of the cops.

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

theyre just critters with some special mechanics, fella.

Exactly this. Mounts are completely unnecessary with the number of movement speed abilities, traits, etc that are available. You’d probably move SLOWER on a mount than without.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

problem with mounts:

In gw2 mounts are exclusively used by enemies. if a mount is used in any case by an ally is probably only if the mounted thing is an object.

Tanks, golems (see taimi), choppers and the like are all used. NO -LIVING- MOUNTS THOUGH.

And now because you have cowboy frogs riding beetles, you want your pegasus?

You can glide already, jump higher then humanly possible, and run at superspeed, why would you need a mount?
- to show you’re above others?
- to gain unfair p2w advantage to others?
- to clutter the screen with stuff which isn’t usefull
if mounts would get combat possibilities outside transforms, for gems or behind a RNG wall this forum would explode you would have 100000 posts of people who are raging and demanding to have mounts be turned into mini’s or something. And a lot of people who would just leave. If everybody would get ’m for free WHAT WOULD BE THE PURPOSE? To kill framerate even more?

I feel sorry for the dead horse, by beating it so long now the first horseburgers should be very tender now…. A new orrian delight…. Deluxe version delivered on a scale of Zhaithan.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

Not sure how feasible it would be but in a future expansion it would be cool if we had to use mounts to get to different places just like how we use Gliding in Heart of Thorns. It’s safe to say that waypoints render mounts useless but surely there could be a region of the world where leylines are scarce and therefore waypoints are extremely rare.

I could see a Kralkatorrik expansion where we have to ride a mount to get over uninhabitable regions of Dragonbrand corruption, maybe a breed of minor dragon immune to its’ effects. Or maybe a Seadragon expansion where you can traverse the surface of the ocean Windwaker style in a vessel, as a quick way of getting to the region you want to dive into.

But I can’t see mounts being introduce elsewhere in Tyria without some sort of restrictions like the ones placed on Gliders.

Posted by: Kobra X.6903

Kobra X.6903

Nope. I hope they never add mounts to this game.

why do you say this? I find this to be a community where to many people want the uncool thing.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

mounts arent cool tho, they are just a tool and you dont need all the tools to get the jobb done.