Need to make Support give credit

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Hey Anet, if you are going to make the Support role a serious role now,

its time you think about giving Support role players some Reward Contribution during events like other games with Dynamic Events do.

If I am actively preventing my team from getting eliminated, or from getting CCed, I should be equally as rewarded as somebody that does nothing but DPS.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Support roles get rewarded the same as DPS roles, Condition Damage Roles etc but all roles are required to do some sort of damage to at least one enemy in order to get a reward. This is for both Dynamic events & PvP.

Perhaps more context is needed in your post for me to fully understand what you mean precisely, but as a general rule, you only need one or two hits per mob or enemy player, and you get credit on their death, which equals reward whatever your role is.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Support roles get rewarded the same as DPS roles, Condition Damage Roles etc but all roles are required to do some sort of damage to at least one enemy in order to get a reward. This is for both Dynamic events & PvP.

Perhaps more context is needed in your post for me to fully understand what you mean precisely, but as a general rule, you only need one or two hits per mob or enemy player, and you get credit on their death, which equals reward whatever your role is.

He’s going under the assumption that since Revenant apparently have defined roles based on the legend used, the entire system in the game that tracks participation should be overhauled to give players who want to heal the zerg the entire fight credit for the event.

And to add onto what I said, the OP doesn’t understand the impact his suggestion would have. It would require an overhaul in the participation tracking like I mentioned but also require an overhaul in how scaling is done.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: meeflak.9714

meeflak.9714

He’s going under the assumption that since Revenant apparently have defined roles based on the legend used, the entire system in the game that tracks participation should be overhauled to give players who want to heal the zerg the entire fight credit for the event.

And to add onto what I said, the OP doesn’t understand the impact his suggestion would have. It would require an overhaul in the participation tracking like I mentioned but also require an overhaul in how scaling is done.

I actually think what he’s talking about comes from the poi from last week., where Collin said they are bringing support roles into a more defined position in hot. And will quite possibly be required for harder content

All professions lvl 80. x2 elementalist
main Druid ~~Adalyn Del Rayna~~ [SIGH]
[Ehmry Bay]

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Hey Anet, if you are going to make the Support role a serious role now,

Support is already a serious role. All meta build have a huge place for support which is needed to complete most content the way we do. Harder content will push the need further, which is nice, but the role is really present right now.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Ayrilana.1396

um, I just played a revenant as 100% heal in SW events on the weekend.
I didn’t miss even one reward chest.

So what’s the fuzz all about? I don’t get it.
Furthermore open world pve does not require any support roles as it is today.
pure dmg build is the most effective way at the moment.

You weren’t 100% heal as you had to have gotten kill credit off something so your participation was applied towards the meta event. The problem with scaling is that it’s based solely on numbers and not individual builds. If you do Teq with 25% of the people dedicating themselves as healers, you’ll get the same scaling as if everyone was full DPS. The only difference between the two is one has a much more likelihood of failing.

Ayrilana.1396

I actually think what he’s talking about comes from the poi from last week., where Collin said they are bringing support roles into a more defined position in hot. And will quite possibly be required for harder content

I know and most of my post was regarding that with using revenant as an example.

Ayrilana.1396

You weren’t 100% heal as you had to have gotten kill credit off something so your participation was applied towards the meta event.

well you have to hit stuff in order for the revenant to drop his HP orbs. with 100% I meant my gear and traits. a better wording would have been max heal. you also need to hit stuff in order to fuel your energy bar which in return fuels your skills.

So I don’t see a way not getting credit.

Yep that would explain how. However, if a moderate number of people showed up to timed events such as Teq, VW, or TT with the role as yours, how successful would the events be? They can build those type of roles in future events but applying it to current ones would requiring a reworking of several systems.

Posted by: A OK.8276

A OK.8276

Don’t be afraid to get in there a tag a boss/mob every now and again. Multitasking is rewarded in this game.

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

Are you sure supports get as much credit as you think? I’ve run a pure support paladin with zergs across maps, world bosses and the edge-of-the-mist borderland.

I found that on many targets, even those that took ages to take down, the damage I did wasn’t enough to qualify me for loot. Wacking that wurm for 30 seconds straight with a healing mace doesnt seem to meet the “tag” requirements.

I eventually gave up support in favor of a tanky necro and my zerk warrior which seem to qualify for far more loot in passing.

Ayrilana.1396

Are you sure supports get as much credit as you think? I’ve run a pure support paladin with zergs across maps, world bosses and the edge-of-the-mist borderland.

I found that on many targets, even those that took ages to take down, the damage I did wasn’t enough to qualify me for loot. Wacking that wurm for 30 seconds straight with a healing mace doesnt seem to meet the “tag” requirements.

I eventually gave up support in favor of a tanky necro and my zerk warrior which seem to qualify for far more loot in passing.

Ran SW for fun with a healer ele and never had issues. The test with rev and that was it with my pure support testings.

But what I did is with a lvl 40 engi in lvl 35 gear doing the lvl 47 Modniir WB event just 3 or 4 weeks ago.
I got the champion bag for fighting Modniir the first time (before the main fight), from two of the war beasts and after that the reward chest for defeating Modniir.

No I was not in a party.

It was pretty hard as most hits I made were glancing, but it summed up obviously to get the credit.

However there is something else messing with us.

For example the Caledon Worm.
My ele is full zerker glass build and sometimes I don’t get credit for killing the three stooges before the worm appears. And believe me that build is made for nuking and I know how to do it.

So I don’t know what’s going on here and it doesn’t make sense that you missed out on getting credit. Even my noob engi did it.

Something else is going on here.

You don’t get credit for killing the individual champs or for the event they’re part of? The event itself is based on kills so you have to kill the trash mobs with them to get credit.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Yep that would explain how. However, if a moderate number of people showed up to timed events such as Teq, VW, or TT with the role as yours, how successful would the events be? They can build those type of roles in future events but applying it to current ones would requiring a reworking of several systems.

How successful you ask?
Well… if they would remove the timer on Teq guess it could be doable in a few hours XD

Yea… anything without a timer actually becomes very faceroll easy with purely defensive specs.

There’s a video somewhere on youtube of a GS warrior in full clerics(? could be more defensive) that literally just facetanks lupi and doesn’t even dodge. That said, it takes him like an hour to do.

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Can you actually do that? Can the revenant actually spend 100% uptime purely putting out heals without damaging anything? Or is there downtime where they have no choice but to wait and attack. Legitimately asking I didn’t play the rev more than a few minutes this weekend. Because if they can’t, then they’re going to get credit by attacking during downtime.

Ayrilana.1396

Can you actually do that? Can the revenant actually spend 100% uptime purely putting out heals without damaging anything? Or is there downtime where they have no choice but to wait and attack. Legitimately asking I didn’t play the rev more than a few minutes this weekend. Because if they can’t, then they’re going to get credit by attacking during downtime.

Not sure. I figured his post was brought on by the beta weekend and the beta test. It came off as he was suggesting full support and not a hybrid doing both.

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Yes there is.
I wrote a guide here
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3cy6yl/revenant_guide_to_healing_and_tanking/

You can heal and give stability with Dwarf/Centaur combo to group. During Jormag this is great, and for other bosses. Most energy is spent on healing skills and moving tablet for more heals to group. Current Centaur has no damage skills if you notice.

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

Pure support exists in this game, but I don’t think that any role should get away without doing any dps.

What arena net seems to be doing is creating mechanics through which players can support allies through effects generated by attacks and damaging abilities. Think Sigil of Water, Transfusion trait for Necromancers, Blast Finishers heal for Engineers, Revenant Staff Auto Attack, etc. That isn’t even mentioning all of the boon sharing and debuffing that also contributes to party damage and sustain. The lack of ally-targeting in this game (in particular, targeted healing) effectively kills the UI Game that WoW Healing and support turned in to.

Think about it, in a game like WoW, you could slot all healing skills and heal a dungeon—never dealing any damage to an enemy. That is impossible in this game—you can not create a build with no damaging abilities, and sitting on your hands while your “support” skills come off of cd is just a crappy way to play (both from effectiveness and “not being a crappy team player” standpoints).

So, should support be used to determine event participation? Definitely, sacrificing dps for outgoing healing or boon-sharing (which I do on multiple characters) shouldn’t be punished. But I don’t think that you should ever get above silver rewards if you never touch an enemy.

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist