Nerf hero challenges in HoT maps

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Forestgreen.7981

Forestgreen.7981

Alot of the champions are simply not soloable and with how few players running around the maps its incredibly hard do them daily.

-The TD sniper champ takes out 40% of my health per hit from anything which is ok since you can kite but the adds that spawn does a leap attack of 8k per leap. Are you kidding me?
-The vampire champ in VB will easily heal to half health if you don’t instant break his CC bar which is impossible alone and you must dodge every SINGLE attack he does on you or he will outheal you.
Just to name a few. Seriously what happens when the next expansion hits none of the content can be completed at all.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Try using map chat. Its OP.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

Try to Tag up even around Mentors people gather.
I have Commander tag and when I taged up few times just for a chain event,I needed the exp for Mastery, we ended up finishing the Tarir event with 4 commanders and 60+ ppl
[and please if you choose this way,do not ashame the commander tag like many does lately,just hurts our credibility :-) ]

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Try to Tag up even around Mentors people gather.

This is true. I’ve sometimes used my mentor tag just to show that there’s someone covering a certain area of Verdant Brink and within a couple minutes I have 10 others with me.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Incognito.3529

Incognito.3529

Alot of the champions are simply not soloable and with how few players running around the maps its incredibly hard do them daily.

-The TD sniper champ takes out 40% of my health per hit from anything which is ok since you can kite but the adds that spawn does a leap attack of 8k per leap. Are you kidding me?
-The vampire champ in VB will easily heal to half health if you don’t instant break his CC bar which is impossible alone and you must dodge every SINGLE attack he does on you or he will outheal you.
Just to name a few. Seriously what happens when the next expansion hits none of the content can be completed at all.

“what happens when the next expansion hits” – When next expac hits, HoT become free-to-play.

“none of the content can be completed at all” – Simply not true. All HP in this game can be at least duoed. Even Balthazar HP.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I don’t know what time you play at but the maps are far from empty when I’m playing them. I completed the HoT maps on 12 characters recently with very little difficulty, I joined a few HP trains in Auric Basin and Tangled Depths but most of them I did through asking in Map Chat with very little difficulty because of the daily chests for doing these HPs.

Posted by: Griffin.5379

Griffin.5379

The very first time I entered AB and started a hero challenge I got invited into a group and we made a run through all challenges right then XD

Posted by: green plum.7514

green plum.7514

Even solo you can gather all HP needed to max out the elite specialization in no time. And there are always people to help out with champion challenges. I think that nerving them would take something every from these maps. I haven’t played the game basically since HoT was released (and back then I only played fro 2 days or so due to being extremely busy with work), but even with a fresh lvl 80 and general lack of any idea what I am doing, I quite enjoy the experience of exploring the maps and completing the challenges.

Posted by: HoneyBadger.5691

HoneyBadger.5691

Found them all soloable on my mesmer pretty easy, except mushroom queen that I needed a group for. Although, you can find a vid on youtube of someone soloing mushroom queen pretty handily.

And, there are lots of HP trains.

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

The first thing coming to my mind – when LFG or Mapchat doesn’t work (which is very rare) – is friends or guild members.
Some things aren’t made for solo play in the first place in an MMO like GW2 while many others are possible.

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

A significant niche of the modern MMO (yes, I know what it stands for) is the solo player. It makes no sense whatsoever to require groups for open world content. The current game in HoT is not solo friendly—at all. And, you can know this from the common solution to solo problems—find a group. I hope GW2 will, at some point, design for all playstyles: easy grouping for those who desire it, and solo-friendly content for those who wish to play solo.

Posted by: SirServed.5693

SirServed.5693

Most of them are soloable if you take the time to pay attention to what the enemies can actually do. Even if you don’t do them solo, a good 90% of them can be done with as few as two players. There are ways around being hit, even if it’s plain old moving out of the enemy’s arc of attack by using their attack timing against them.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

A significant niche of the modern MMO (yes, I know what it stands for) is the solo player. It makes no sense whatsoever to require groups for open world content. The current game in HoT is not solo friendly—at all. And, you can know this from the common solution to solo problems—find a group. I hope GW2 will, at some point, design for all playstyles: easy grouping for those who desire it, and solo-friendly content for those who wish to play solo.

But you and the OP are the only one in the thread saying this. Most people can either solo the hero points they need, or get people to do them very easily. You don’t have to group to get people in map to come help you with a hero point. I do it all the time.

Pifil.5193

For the vast majority of my time in GW2 I am a solo player. That doesn’t mean I avoid other players, it means I don’t party up to do things, I go from event to event as I please and normally only squad up for meta events or to taxi for meta events.

That’s always been the beauty of GW2 for me, you don’t need to group up to do things, you can just ask in map chat is anyone wants the HP, people arrive, do the HP, say thanks and you all go your separate ways, no partying up required.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

The reward for hero challenges in HoT is not for doing them daily, but so you have an incentive to help other people doing them. No nerf needed

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

The reward for hero challenges in HoT is not for doing them daily, but so you have an incentive to help other people doing them. No nerf needed

The rewards are not enough incentive if they aren’t anybody playing on the maps. As the game moves forward not nerfing the challenge is extremely idiotic and poor designed.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

The rewards are not enough incentive if they aren’t anybody playing on the maps. As the game moves forward not nerfing the challenge is extremely idiotic and poor designed.

The daily rewards for helping with hero challenges are also not sufficient enough to drag players away from meta-events, and often, the hero challenges are in obnoxious spots to reach or to fight in (Tangled Depths, Balthazar). Grouping isn’t instantaneous, and waiting more than a few minutes for help isn’t good game design (blah blah manifesto “no waiting to have fun”). And if a challenge goes south, as it often does with Balthazar and his cheap kill-all attack, most people don’t even bother showing up again.

So, no, “just LFG” isn’t a sufficient response against poorly tuned hero challenges, even if there’s allegedly loot to be had for helping.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Pifil.5193

The game hasn’t moved forward yet though. The HoT maps are still full, they’re still busy and the meta’s are still being run. When the next expansion is released or another few LS zones are released then it may be time to nerf the HPs but not now.

Posted by: FrostDraco.8306

FrostDraco.8306

The daily rewards for helping with hero challenges are also not sufficient enough to drag players away from meta-events, and often, the hero challenges are in obnoxious spots to reach or to fight in (Tangled Depths, Balthazar). Grouping isn’t instantaneous, and waiting more than a few minutes for help isn’t good game design (blah blah manifesto “no waiting to have fun”). And if a challenge goes south, as it often does with Balthazar and his cheap kill-all attack, most people don’t even bother showing up again.

So, no, “just LFG” isn’t a sufficient response against poorly tuned hero challenges, even if there’s allegedly loot to be had for helping.

You’re kidding right? There is enough time to finish all event outpost, and run an HP train with time to spare before the meta even starts.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

But you and the OP are the only one in the thread saying this. Most people can either solo the hero points they need, or get people to do them very easily. You don’t have to group to get people in map to come help you with a hero point. I do it all the time.

Determining a minority or majority here on the forums is generally used as a rhetorical device. That is, you are obviously in the minority and therefore your opinion doesn’t matter. This device avoids entirely the discomfort and work of actually engaging with the issue at hand.

My position depends upon the solo player in MMO’s being a niche of concern. Do you think there are people who like to play solo? If so, do you think they might have a problem with content that is not solo-friendly? You know, that content that people say well just group up to complete. And, is HoT group-centered? Ha. It’s nothing but various groups running around.

The point is there is no need to niche it when designing for the modern MMO. You can meet the desires of many constituent groups at the same time. Why not be aware that there are a niche of solo players and include them in the design. This is what they did brilliantly in Central Tyria.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

Try changing servers.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Determining a minority or majority here on the forums is generally used as a rhetorical device. That is, you are obviously in the minority and therefore your opinion doesn’t matter. This device avoids entirely the discomfort and work of actually engaging with the issue at hand.

My position depends upon the solo player in MMO’s being a niche of concern. Do you think there are people who like to play solo? If so, do you think they might have a problem with content that is not solo-friendly? You know, that content that people say well just group up to complete. And, is HoT group-centered? Ha. It’s nothing but various groups running around.

The point is there is no need to niche it when designing for the modern MMO. You can meet the desires of many constituent groups at the same time. Why not be aware that there are a niche of solo players and include them in the design. This is what they did brilliantly in Central Tyria.

I have a guild full of people who play solo who made it through all their elite specializations, by simply doing something very simple. They say something in map chat.

The problem is your definition of play solo. Most people who play solo aren’t worried about seeing someone else on the map helping them. What they mean by play solo is not having to party. Most of the people I know who play solo would never consider soloing a champion.

This game has never been solo friendly in the definition of the word you seem to be using, which is doing it by myself without any other players around at all. Because you couldn’t get Orr temples that way, and they’ve been in the game since launch.

Not to mention a lot of hero points are communes anyway, but that aside, you can get those hero points without ever grouping, which is what most people mean.

If you want to take a small percentage of the people who solo and say the game doesn’t support those people in every instance, I’d just shrug and suggest that a single player game might be more their style.

Because I have a guild full of casual people who say they solo…but they don’t mean by it what you’re saying solo means.