New Cultural Armor/weapons

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tron.3471

Tron.3471

What do you think the odds are for some new cultural armor? I’m really hoping we see at least one new set.

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

God I wish. I remember reading a comment from a dev a long time ago (I cant cite it anymore, and things change so this may be moot aanyway) that they are straying away from cultural looks. I remember reading a lot of unhappy posts after, because humans are always the ones who have armor designed around them, so charr and asura players were kittened especially since they would always just have stretched/compressed versions.

And if its still true thats just too bad, they made the cultures so cool and rich in this game.

Funny though because more cultural stuff is so requested. I couldnt even count how many times ive read requests for NPC town clothes as outfits specifically.

But in the end I’m just bitter because I want more norn stuff. Humans got back items with their gods, lots of steampunk stuff that looks good with charr and asura, we see so much planty stuff now… but my norn has been in cultural for the last two years because I dont think anything else looks right on her!

/end silly rant

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

(edited by Lindelle.3718)

Posted by: Mishee.5719

Mishee.5719

I would love some cultural armor. For the same reason Lindelle just wrote.

Posted by: yanipheonu.5798

yanipheonu.5798

While it’d be cool, I’m not holding my breath. Most likely any new skin set would be held for within the jungle. Which makes total sense really.

Still though. Maybe an update one day….

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i don’t think it’s coming, no. i mean, i’d appreciate it if the new armor was more appropriately adapted to asura, charr, and sylvari (sylvari dudes had to deal with norn-sized gear for SO LONG), but i don’t think ANet will add more race-bound stuff.

plus, cultural weapons were never really race-exclusive anyway.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

God I wish. I remember reading a comment from a dev a long time ago (I cant cite it anymore, and things change so this may be moot aanyway) that they are straying away from cultural looks. I remember reading a lot of unhappy posts after, because humans are always the ones who have armor designed around them, so charr and asura players were kittened especially since theybwould always just have stretched/compressed versions.

And if its still true thats just too bad, they made the cultures so cool and rich in this game.

Funny though because more cultural stuff is so requested. I couldnt even count how many times ive read requests for NPC town clothes as outfits specifically.

But in the end I’m just bitter because I want more norn stuff. Humans got back items with their gods, lots of steampunk stuff that looks good with charr and asura, we see so much planty stuff now… but my norn has been in cultural for the last two years because I dont think anything else looks right on her!

/end silly rant

braham armor, mace, and shield? :P those might as well have been cultural gear, they scream “NORN”

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Lindelle.3718

God I wish. I remember reading a comment from a dev a long time ago (I cant cite it anymore, and things change so this may be moot aanyway) that they are straying away from cultural looks. I remember reading a lot of unhappy posts after, because humans are always the ones who have armor designed around them, so charr and asura players were kittened especially since theybwould always just have stretched/compressed versions.

/end silly rant

braham armor, mace, and shield? :P those might as well have been cultural gear, they scream “NORN”

And how unfortunate my main ranger cant make use of any of them.

(And still though, for norn… that and maybe the winter adventurer outfit is all I can think of!)

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Agreed – I hope they bring more cultural armor and weapons.

Heck – I hope they bring more expensive armor and weapon skins in the game. I hope they bring an expansion’s worth of cosmetic choices so we can finally have more stuff to get.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Tron.3471

I really hope so too. I will be a little disappointed if they don’t but oh well. But there better be like Harper said, an expansion’s worth of cosmetic choices. Especially since they said this expansion is more of a character progression expansion.

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

I’d love to see some cultural stuff! Especially some asuran armor that doesn’t look like a technical harlequin. At least something that doesn’t make my characters bald as soon as I put them on.

Most importantly: Finally some asuran boots! Without toes clipping out at the side! Without the foot being squished into a downscaled human boot. Light asuran shoes that are actually covering the foot and aren’t just trident-sandals.

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

I dream !! Want cultural armor! Full of cultural armor! T0 – T1 -lvl lvl 1 10 20 -lvl T2 T3 – T4 lvl 30 – lvl 40 T5 – T6 50 – 60 70 T7 T8 80 !!

Please, arena net! let us have a rich and prosperous racial cultures!

# Asura because I’m worth it!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Personally, while i’d like for them to make more cultural-themed armor (esp. for Norn and Charr), i wouldn’t like any more race-specific ones.
I wouldn’t mind more armor that are thematically made for specific professions, as well (just, again, not profession-locked).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I dream !! Want cultural armor! Full of cultural armor! T0 – T1 -lvl lvl 1 10 20 -lvl T2 T3 – T4 lvl 30 – lvl 40 T5 – T6 50 – 60 70 T7 T8 80 !!

Please, arena net! let us have a rich and prosperous racial cultures!

+1

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Until they actually hear us screaming bloody murder about all the character artists sinking their time into outfits, the idea they’re going to suddenly deliver armor skins 15 at a time (3 weights x 5 races) is ludicrous.

They are making money off the least-effort model imaginable. Don’t expect them to give that up to put more work in for less return.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Lindelle.3718

Personally, while i’d like for them to make more cultural-themed armor (esp. for Norn and Charr), i wouldn’t like any more race-specific ones.
I wouldn’t mind more armor that are thematically made for specific professions, as well (just, again, not profession-locked).

For me this is probably more what I meant. I don’t care of other races could wear norn armor, I just want the option for more cultural themed stuff.

Tron.3471

For me this is probably more what I meant. I don’t care of other races could wear norn armor, I just want the option for more cultural themed stuff.

I disagree, I think it helps give the races a uniqueness. Could you imagine if human heavy t3 wasn’t race-locked…… I would also like to see some profession specific armor too, thats a cool idea.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

actually i hope they get rid of cultural limits and make them for every race, they can always give the race the advantage of having them cheaper then other races.
like T3 chest is 30G but of others it’s 50G, if you like them so much for a different race you have to pay the price.

Posted by: Phoenix Fire.6203

Phoenix Fire.6203

I think profession armor would be divine, but not locked. And while their is good plant stuff now, I would love something new. Norn don’t get anything is this game, they really need like shaman outfits, or armor like in eotn that actually looks like something a Norn would wear.

Plays on Fort Ranik.
Ceara Bramble 80 sylvari engineer.
Freyr Treewalker 80 sylvari ranger.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The devs have said before that they would much rather design armor assets which can apply to all players and not just small groups of them in direct response to requests for more cultural armor, so I don’t have much hope for more cultural armors (nor profession armors). Much as I’d like to see another cultural set at some point, since they tend to look best on the non-human races since they’re actually built for those body types.

I suppose cultural themed armors that are still wearable by all races would work OK, but aside from maybe Sylvari and the obvious plant theme, I’m not even sure if most of the races have enough of a “theme” to create a universal armor set like that. And I’m sure there are armors in the game that you could already apply towards racial themes.

Posted by: Thalimae.3406

Thalimae.3406

I personally don’t care whether or not the armour sets are race-locked but I really really want more race themed armour skins for non-human characters (i.e. planty armours for Sylvari, spirit themed armours for Norn, etc.) and I’m a bit disappointed with the few options we get. If you don’t like any of the cultural skins you’re left with some of the dungeons skins or hope that something fitting hits the gem store.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I suppose cultural themed armors that are still wearable by all races would work OK, but aside from maybe Sylvari and the obvious plant theme, I’m not even sure if most of the races have enough of a “theme” to create a universal armor set like that.

Norn definitely do have that distinct cultural theme, and most of already existing armor do not fit that theme at all. This is most visible in light armor category, where basically nothing beyond Norn culturals qualify.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Silverlilly.4526

Silverlilly.4526

It would be spiffy if they had cultural armors for non citizens of the race IE you could get for karma a Norn made armor for you human like we did in GW1 I would also like to see a secondary human culture set for Ebon Hawk and other outpost like places

Posted by: Tipsy.5802

Tipsy.5802

Like how do the Sylvari dress/adapt in the Maguuma jungle? Do they need to adapt at all?Perhaps they’ll discover new plants/material to craft clothes with?
Would the Charr craft special armor to protect themselves from the vicious vines?Perhaps Rytlock found an answer in the fade to enhance the armor of the charr?

If they truly want to make gw2 more about the journey I think it is a logical step to add more cultural stuff like armors and weapons,..
Even in our world all the different clothing styles we as humans have fascinate me.
We can’t deny our culture if we want to tell the stories of folks across the globe.
And the question is; how will each race adapt to the challenges of survival in the Maguuma jungle?
When new areas are introduced to the game, it is an opportunity to flesh out the culture and customs of each of the races of gw2.

(edited by Tipsy.5802)

Posted by: Baktwerel.9108

Baktwerel.9108

I’ll just leave these NPC only cultural armors here, just in case a developer stumbles into this topic. -wink wink-

Please???

Attachments:

Posted by: Aethelbert.1497

Aethelbert.1497

It would be nice to have new cultural armor. The shots with NPCs Baktwerel attached to the post are not necessarly what I believe people desire: these are town clothes of the sort, after all. But new designs would always be a welcome addition, considering how few there acrually are. It would be a logical step forward to introduce tier 4 cultural armor, maybe as a gold sink (again) or as a reward for something else.

But of course it will hardly be implemented. There are ton of new visual styles that could be used for armors with comeback of Mursaat and introduction of new friendly races. And, of course some obligatory barky jungle-themed armor.

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

Definitely want to see more race-themed armour, specifically for my Sylvari <3 Cultural and Twilight Arbor being my only options makes me sad.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

maybe as a gold sink (again)

Oh my god I can’t even imagine how expensive T4 cultural armor would be if they actually increased the price comparatively. 500g? A thousand? Please no.

Aethelbert.1497

maybe as a gold sink (again)

Oh my god I can’t even imagine how expensive T4 cultural armor would be if they actually increased the price comparatively. 500g? A thousand? Please no.

150-200 gold for full set would be okay, in my opinion. Optimal, I would say.
And of course prices for t3 should be reduced. Jump from 7 gold for full of set of t2 to 110 (somewhere around that number) for t3 is insane, especially for a rare quality gear set.

Posted by: Wolfe.9850

Wolfe.9850

Honestly, and I know a few people won’t agree with me, I’d kinda like to see the current Cultural Armors not restricted to that race. There’s some parts from Human, Norn, and Asura heavy that I’d love to see on my Charr and visa-versa.

Aethelbert.1497

Honestly, and I know a few people won’t agree with me, I’d kinda like to see the current Cultural Armors not restricted to that race. There’s some parts from Human, Norn, and Asura heavy that I’d love to see on my Charr and visa-versa.

I can’t help but disagree. The whole point is in the fact that it’s exclusive. How can charr wear a tiny asuran boot with three holes made for toes?

(edited by Aethelbert.1497)

Tron.3471

I can’t help but disagree. The whole point is in the fact that it’s exclusive. How can charr wear a tiny asuran boot with three holes made for fingers?

I agree, if they add more cultural armor I hope its still race exclusive. It helps give them some slight uniqueness in a game where looks are the endgame.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Definitely want to see more race-themed armour, specifically for my Sylvari <3 Cultural and Twilight Arbor being my only options makes me sad.

heh.. ask me as medium charr player…i got either rags and ropes that basically a drover wears (what is ironically also the name of the set), bones and dirty cloth, or a mix of both…aka rags and ropes with bones and dirty cloth….and burning armor if you wanna stretch CoF armor as cultural. I totally support more race theme armor, no matter what race

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

heh.. ask me as medium charr player…i got either rags and ropes that basically a drover wears (what is ironically also the name of the set), bones and dirty cloth, or a mix of both…aka rags and ropes with bones and dirty cloth….and burning armor if you wanna stretch CoF armor as cultural. I totally support more race theme armor, no matter what race

The new trend is xenophobic clothes :P Rashy&Basalt trend.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

The new trend is xenophobic clothes :P Rashy&Basalt trend.

Nah not really man lol. Just some people play a race for their style and designs..ya know for example norns with the clearly viking inspired thing going on…fur armor, lots of trophies worked into the designs like deer antler helmets and animal skulls while the next guy likes the sylvari and their plant armors and flowers and whatever. I just happen to like the more “rough” and spiky aswell mechanical charr designs..and who says it needs to be race restricted? If its made like dungeon armor everybody can wear\enjoy it.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I want a Cultural tier 0 armor/weapon.

In Cultural tier 0, it gets sold in white weapon/armor vendors.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant