New HoT Rewards Extremely Unbalanced

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

TL/DR: Meta Events (Gerent, VB Night, Octovine, etc.) seem to reward less than the event chains despite requiring more coordination and skill.

With the re-balancing of the rewards, meta-events that require player coordination seem far less rewarding than the regular event chains that require very little coordination. Why were the meta-event rewards left more or less the same while regular event rewards were buffed to the extreme?

(I’ll focus on Verdant Brink as it seems to be the worst case of this reward imbalance of all the HoT maps)

For example, play through daytime VB and you’ll get dozens of crowbars, ridiculous amounts of map currency, and tons of loot. Play through a T4 nighttime VB and you get a fraction of the crowbars, map currency, and loot.

Daytime VB gives massive rewards after each event, meanwhile nighttime VB only gives rewards after meta-event progression (3 crowbars or less depending on participation), boss kills, and the end chest (15 crowbars, delivered after all airship cargo despawns). An uncoordinated VB night rewards virtually nothing compared to daytime VB and even a coordinated nighttime VB still seems to reward significantly less than daytime VB. If you start VB night with no crowbars you’ll barely get to open any chests, while during the day you get crowbars faster than you can use them.

What gives? I can be playing a VB day and feel ridiculously rewarded (obscenely rewarded!!!….), and then suddenly night comes around and each event I complete gives me absolutely nothing. Then every once and a while I get a meta-event progress chest with no more than 3 crowbars (usually fewer). Finally the end chest comes around and it feels barely better than some of the “bigger” chests I get from daytime events. The only thing that makes the nighttime meta-reward special is the Bladed armor piece (which is a positive change I might add).

This reward imbalance seems to generally hold true on the other maps (Auric Basin/Tangled Depths) as well.

An uncoordinated VB night should be about as rewarding as VB day, while a coordinated T4 VB night should be more rewarding simply because it takes more effort on the part of the players. The same should be true of the meta-events on other maps as well.

I love being able to jump on Verdant Brink during the day and play casually and feel rewarded. I just want the same to be true of nighttime meta-events (which is one of my favorites).

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Complains about more loot.
/thread

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Complaint: HoT is inaccessible.
Solution: More loot.

Genius.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Terrible analogy is terrible Manasa. Take AB. The loot in AB used to be locked behind a meta event. Instead of doing that, the loot is now available for just doing events. Several events have been added to make it easier for solo players even. I have casual people in my guild who could never solo AB before and now they can.

They can’t solo the meta any more than you can solo Tequatl. But they can solo many events and get rewards and collect zone currency.

Manasa Devi.7958

Analogy? What analogy? There is no analogy in my above post.

My number one complaint about HoT are the timers. They’re still there. You still need to log on at the exact same time as before this useless update and you still need to taxi. The metas are as inaccessible as ever.

I don’t give a rodent’s rectum about how hard or how easy it is to gather loot in HoT. I never did. There’s not a single skin in it that I want anyway.

But I don’t care anymore. I don’t expect anything anymore, it’s become blatantly obvious that this game no longer aligns with my interests.

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

But I don’t care anymore. I don’t expect anything anymore, it’s become blatantly obvious that this game no longer aligns with my interests.

You’ve been complaining about every release the game’s had for over three years now. Clearly, your interests are aligned with it, because not only are you still here, but you shelled out money for Heart of Thorns despite having spent years deriding every single thing the game has done.

You can’t fool me. I see past your trickery!

Manasa Devi.7958

You’ve been complaining about every release the game’s had for over three years now. Clearly, your interests are aligned with it, because not only are you still here, but you shelled out money for Heart of Thorns despite having spent years deriding every single thing the game has done.

You can’t fool me. I see past your trickery!

Blatant lies.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Analogy? What analogy? There is no analogy in my above post.

My number one complaint about HoT are the timers. They’re still there. You still need to log on at the exact same time as before this useless update and you still need to taxi. The metas are as inaccessible as ever.

I don’t give a rodent’s rectum about how hard or how easy it is to gather loot in HoT. I never did. There’s not a single skin in it that I want anyway.

But the rewards have been spread out so you can get them without doing the meta at all. Your complaint is actually solved. Before you needed to do the meta to progress in lots of stuff. That’s not the case anymore.

For example, if in the past someone wanted a tiger or electric wyvern for their ranger, they had to beat DS, that’s not the case. If someone wanted noxious pods, the big load at the end, they’d have to beat DS, but taht’s not the case.

So what exactly are you missing by not doing the metas now?

Manasa Devi.7958

Duh… The meta-events? Actual gameplay? Did you miss when I said I didn’t care about the rewards?

This update fixed nothing about HoT for me.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s better the way it is now otherwise people would just farm the final meta rather than do the event chain. It’d be like SW all over again.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

The increased event rewards are great, actually makes stuff worth doing. Rather than nerf this back to pre-patch levels they just need to buff the final meta rewards as well.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

The increased event rewards are great, actually makes stuff worth doing. Rather than nerf this back to pre-patch levels they just need to buff the final meta rewards as well.

This.
They’re currently pretty underwhelming when compared to the zone events. They need some kind of unique trophy skins or something. Maybe enhanced drop rates, or a selection of HoT crafting mats or something less random than the normal boxes?

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

What exact rewards are you talking about, because i’ve done a couple of the events and crashed 99% of the time..

I actually got one reward and it was a load of trash loot..

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Duh… The meta-events? Actual gameplay? Did you miss when I said I didn’t care about the rewards?

This update fixed nothing about HoT for me.

Wow, I find myself agreeing with Manasa. If rewards were my primary motivation for playing GW2, I would have stopped ages ago. I stick to stuff that’s fun for me and I agree that timers for the meta events are off-putting. I stopped participating in Dry Top while it was still new because it got boring quickly — to me, the metas in the new zones work the same way.

I don’t want my play time to feel like a job, where I have to be at a certain place at a certain time or I won’t get my paycheck.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Banchou.5628

Banchou.5628

I agree too, principally on Dragon Stand and Tangled Depths, in rewards terms they feel unworthy to do – at last Chak Gerent/MoM are fun to do. (if you don’t crash on the last one, of course lol)

Ayrilana.1396

If they give the final metas too good of a reward, people will farm just that like they do VW.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If they give the final metas too good of a reward, people will farm just that like they do VW.

People are going to farm something to accumulate the huge amount of map currency required for various legendaries, weapon sets, etc. Why shouldn’t the longer metas be ultimately more rewarding (and fun) than the smaller, shorter local events?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Ayrilana.1396

People are going to farm something to accumulate the huge amount of map currency required for various legendaries, weapon sets, etc. Why shouldn’t the longer metas be ultimately more rewarding (and fun) than the smaller, shorter local events?

This isn’t about longer metas vs shorter metas. This is about the final meta (gerent, VB bosses, octo).

Manasa Devi.7958

They can’t farm the metas like they do VW.

Because of the rotten timers.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

but the metas do have the daily chest with the selectable stuff … like reclaimed plate from VB

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

From VB nighttime, I got reclaimed plates, bladed armor, and a chest full of currency.

From daytime, I got… more worthless crowbars that I don’t need, since I have a ton already.