New Legendary Crafting Problems

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

This is my first and last HoT legendary. The sheer hassle is simply not worth it! Everything is RnG or time-gated behind repeating the same map meta events over and over for a single mob.

I’m stuck on 3 items on Hope4 and they are quite literally impossible to get! Here’s the Wiki Guide: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/HOPE_IV:_The_Catalyst

Salivary Stone – Activate the M-PEC before defeating a Champion Stonehead near the Griffonfall Pylon in Auric Basin to gather its salivary stone. — Ok, so I’m here at the event in Verdant Brink looking for a champion stonehead, and only see veterans because I’m alone (no surprise there). I did DS a few times, nobody and I mean NOBODY does the events after DS! They grab their pod loot and leave.

Malodorous Mucus – Activate the M-PEC before defeating a Champion Arrowhead at Arrowhead Vale in Auric Basin to gather its mucus. — An easy champion to spawn, it’s on a Hero Point Challenge. I spawn it, activate M-PEC and just before it dies, I get downed. I got revived, and it dies. Because the game (for some unknown reason) decides to REMOVE the M-PEC buff when you get downed, I did not get the item! No problem, spawn it again. I spawn the champ again, make sure not to die or go downed and that I have the M=PEC buff before I kill it. The champ dies and STILL no item!!!!!! WTH?!

Mushroom Emperor’s Volatile Spores – Activate the M-PEC before defeating a Champion Mushroom Emperor in Tangled Depths, Auric Basin, or Dragon’s Stand to gather its spores. — The only Mushroom I’ve seen, is in DS after the dragon was killed. And of course, because it’s WAY too difficult to kill, nobody does the event. Sigh…….

If it’s proving impossible to get these items now while HoT is the current expansion, what is going to happen when the new content is released? Why are these events no solo-able for those of us trying to craft these weapons?

Rentapest.6503

I thought I’d give that Champion Arrowhead another go, so I relogged to another toon that didn’t have the HP. I had the M-PEC buff, but I got downed AS the darn thingn died and insnta-rallied off it.

Still no item…….what a joke.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Some of those you are going to the wrong location.

Everything released from Episode 2 and onwards is very easy to craft. It just requires a ton of refining T5 ore/wood.

Edit: You’ll have an easier time doing the champ emperor in TD. Just ask people in map chat if you need help.

The HP arrowhead doesn’t drop it if you’ve already killed it that day. It’s in the bouncy chest. That event with Dawkurra can also spawn them. Use range attacks and stay to the sides of you are not able to melee it.

Read the description again for the location of the Stonehead one. You’re on the wrong map.

As always, the wiki pages for those collection items provide a lot of help.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Rentapest.6503

Attempted the Arrowhead HP yet again, 3rd toon relog.

Successfully killed it while having the M-PEC buff…..still no item.

The “special extraction technique” is not per-toon, because I’ve killed mobs on differennt toons that have map completion inn HoT zones and have gotten items.

Ayrilana.1396

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

In an MMO, shouldn’t it be okay to require some group effort as part of optional achievements? Legendaries are, in part, to show that the player has gone above & beyond the basics and I think that includes some harder bosses, adventures (which I personally hate), JPs, dungeons, fractals, etc.

ANet has begun to address the worst problems with event-driven legendary unlocks, including removing events entirely from the Gen2.2 weapons. I agree that they’ve been slow, even too slow, getting around to dealing with bugs or unreliability of the achievements.

One thing I’ve noticed is that some players are reluctant to share the love when these events come up. I called a couple of them today as they were up, but I didn’t have a chance to type for some of the other… and I was the only one calling them out.

For the ones I did call out, people showed up to every single one. There’s no way for me to tell if that’s because they needed the chieves too, or if they were just being helpful.

I understand the OP’s frustration. I disagree that the achievements are impossible (or likely to be so after the 2nd expansion) & I disagree about removing hard-to-solo events from achievements. Ask for help; it’s an MMO, there are lots of people who love to be useful.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Zehnchu.4985

Zehnchu.4985

On another Legendary I ran in to a problem I was doing the Kudzu I: The Experimental Longbow, The one flower that is need to complete this is on a dead map Tiny Vinewrath Blossom main boss in the Silverwastes, was there for 5 hours seen only eight other people .

Fun times.

RAWR!!!

Ayrilana.1396

On another Legendary I ran in to a problem I was doing the Kudzu I: The Experimental Longbow, The one flower that is need to complete this is on a dead map Tiny Vinewrath Blossom main boss in the Silverwastes, was there for 5 hours seen only eight other people .

Fun times.

Did you use LFG? On NA servers there’s almost always a farm map running.

Posted by: Miellyn.6847

Miellyn.6847

Salivary Stone – Activate the M-PEC before defeating a Champion Stonehead near the Griffonfall Pylon in Auric Basin to gather its salivary stone. — Ok, so I’m here at the event in Verdant Brink looking for a champion stonehead, and only see veterans because I’m alone (no surprise there). I did DS a few times, nobody and I mean NOBODY does the events after DS! They grab their pod loot and leave.

You are not supposed to look in VB or DS after the Stonehead, the stonehead you want spawns during the pylon activation event in the southwest of AB.

Mushroom Emperor’s Volatile Spores – Activate the M-PEC before defeating a Champion Mushroom Emperor in Tangled Depths, Auric Basin, or Dragon’s Stand to gather its spores. — The only Mushroom I’ve seen, is in DS after the dragon was killed. And of course, because it’s WAY too difficult to kill, nobody does the event. Sigh…….

There is a camp just right into the depths from the starting Waypoint in Tangled Depths, the mushroom spawns there.

Meena Wolfsgeist | Ranger
Ceana Mera | Mesmer
Indra Nebelklinge | Revenant

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

HOPE is by far the hardest hot legendary I’ve attempted. I’ve made three of them so far. Nevermore was not nearly as hard as HOPE. If you want help with HOPE, hit me up in game. Happy to give you a hand.

Edit: That is if you’re on a US server.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

That event with Dawkurra can also spawn them. Use range attacks and stay to the sides of you are not able to melee it.

There is also one that sometimes appears near the north gate. It can be up at the same time as the mordrem events so it shouldn’t be the one left over from Dawkurra. That one is obviously much easier since armors can easily break its bar.

Ayrilana.1396

That event with Dawkurra can also spawn them. Use range attacks and stay to the sides of you are not able to melee it.

There is also one that sometimes appears near the north gate. It can be up at the same time as the mordrem events so it shouldn’t be the one left over from Dawkurra. That one is obviously much easier since armors can easily break its bar.

Yeah. Forgot about that one since I have sometimes seen it attacking the veteran vinetooth.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

So how do I get to spawn the Icebrood Quaggan Champion? The event where the Svanir kidnap the little quaggan needs to fail, so it can become the champ, but people just play the game and do the event. Asking them to let the event fail doesn’t help, either they speak no English or they don’t give a kitten.

What am I supposed to do? Get online in the middle of the night, wait for the new episode to launch today so people are less likely to be in that zone? Is that how the designer envisioned this step in the HOPE quest?

I don’t get it really, and waiting for the event and then watching someone kill the few Svanir kidnappers in the last 10 seconds of the event is just enraging.

Here’s a tip Anet: don’t require events to fail to do a quest. It causes anger, trolling and a feeling of wasted time.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Faaris.8013

I spawn it, activate M-PEC and just before it dies, I get downed. I got revived, and it dies. Because the game (for some unknown reason) decides to REMOVE the M-PEC buff when you get downed, I did not get the item! No problem, spawn it again. I spawn the champ again, make sure not to die or go downed and that I have the M=PEC buff before I kill it. The champ dies and STILL no item!!!!!! WTH?!

Maybe they changed it, but I was able to die at the Risen King in Cursed Shore, spawn at the waypoint and reactivate the Soul Battery, and on my way back I got the collection item because the people in the tomb finished the king. I wasn’t even in the tomb, fair enough.

Posted by: Rasgalinj.2763

Rasgalinj.2763

I have no clue what to tell you other than that I had the exact opposite experience while crafting the HoT axe. All “challenge” collection pieces went smooth, took some time but nothing frustrating. The grindy bit however was absolutely terrible, and pretty much ruined the whole experience. Wish they would focus more on fun tasks and challenges rather than mass-repeating grindy crap, maybe the whole end-game bit would actually be fun and not work.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

So how do I get to spawn the Icebrood Quaggan Champion? The event where the Svanir kidnap the little quaggan needs to fail, so it can become the champ, but people just play the game and do the event. Asking them to let the event fail doesn’t help, either they speak no English or they don’t give a kitten.

What am I supposed to do? Get online in the middle of the night, wait for the new episode to launch today so people are less likely to be in that zone? Is that how the designer envisioned this step in the HOPE quest?

I don’t get it really, and waiting for the event and then watching someone kill the few Svanir kidnappers in the last 10 seconds of the event is just enraging.

Here’s a tip Anet: don’t require events to fail to do a quest. It causes anger, trolling and a feeling of wasted time.

Champion Icebrood Quaggans can also spawn during Claw of Jormag and the torch defense events in Bitterfrost Frontier

Posted by: Ceesa.1350

Ceesa.1350

I’ve made HOPE and I understand your pain, especially with this event. I basically had to do it during off hours. When someone came by, I ran over to them and in Say Chat started spamming “Please STOP! I need this event to fail for an achievement!” Like, tons of spam. They have a better chance of seeing your speech bubble if your character is right on top of theirs.

Anyway, it took a few days of trying, but I eventually found a couple people who were willing to help me let the event fail and then help me kill the champ that spawned afterwards.

As to your other complaints in this thread, yes some of the achievements are hard to get (like killing the Vinetooth champ), but you’ve misread some or haven’t done enough research on how to get the collection done. Take your time and you can do it.

Faaris.8013

As to your other complaints in this thread, yes some of the achievements are hard to get (like killing the Vinetooth champ), but you’ve misread some or haven’t done enough research on how to get the collection done. Take your time and you can do it.

Nah, that wasn’t me, Vinetooth was easy to get, like most of the others. Next hurdle after the quaggan was the mushroom emperor. When I finally got people to join I got downed when he was at 1% and lost the buff. I rallied when he died without the collection item. Had to do it again…

Most of the collection items were easy and fun quest parts. They could do away with the failed events and I don’t see the value in frustrating players by removing the buff when downed. When I died at the lich king guy I put on the buff at the waypoint and then got the item, without even being close to the corpse. At the shroom, I was just in a downed state and didn’t die, but got no item. That’s not good mechanics.

Right now, I only need another flask (quite expensive) and the Dragon’s Stand collection items. Since I also need another 220 crystalline ingots, I’ll take the time to do three metas there. I don’t have the gold to buy the other things anyway, so I’m not in a hurry.

I can recommend doing these quests though, it’s classic questing, ArenaNet just hides it behind legendaries.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve made HOPE and I understand your pain, especially with this event. I basically had to do it during off hours. When someone came by, I ran over to them and in Say Chat started spamming “Please STOP! I need this event to fail for an achievement!” Like, tons of spam. They have a better chance of seeing your speech bubble if your character is right on top of theirs.

Anyway, it took a few days of trying, but I eventually found a couple people who were willing to help me let the event fail and then help me kill the champ that spawned afterwards.

Why not just do the champ quaggans that spawn during Jormag? That’s what I did.

Posted by: DarkForcE.9210

DarkForcE.9210

I got my HOPE done. I can share to you my pains here

Salivary Stone – Activate the M-PEC before defeating a Champion Stonehead near the Griffonfall Pylon in Auric Basin to gather its salivary stone.

Do the South Pylon event in Auric Basin. The final pylon will have 2 Champion Stonehead spawns. Kill either will do

Malodorous Mucus – Activate the M-PEC before defeating a Champion Arrowhead at Arrowhead Vale in Auric Basin to gather its mucus.

This is not HP one. It spawns normally like other mobs. You can find it somewhere near Skritt camp in Arrowhead Vale within Auric Basin. It come out occasionally

Mushroom Emperor’s Volatile Spores – Activate the M-PEC before defeating a Champion Mushroom Emperor in Tangled Depths

You can find him near starting waypoint to the north within Tangle Depth map.

Hardest part is gathering people to help you out

(edited by DarkForcE.9210)

Posted by: Gemnaid.4219

Gemnaid.4219

Why do you think they changed how all they New legendaries are made?

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Why do you think they changed how all they New legendaries are made?

because it was too time consuming to add 80 new art assests, link to individual event chains, test each chain, make sure there was no fail condition etc….

Plenty of reasons, players playing the content had zilch to do with it.

Posted by: Brigand.9502

Brigand.9502

I feel your pain and can add this:

I can’t even complete the stuff necessary for the VANILLA legendaries. The dang events are broken for some of the collections and there’s no patch/update in sight.

One thing is kinda funny though: Multiples times a day I hop onto a character that I have parked at one of the broken events and see all the other people over and over again that keep doing the same thing as me. We’re like “sup…still broke as $%#@?”. “Yeap”. log off

Posted by: nickcosta.8256

nickcosta.8256

I thought Astralaria was a pain to make util i started making HOPE…so much more painful, the 5 Min cd items u have to activate before killing the mobs was a good idea…with a horrendous implementation. It’s fiddly, prone to make you fail to kill or be killed trying to activate the thing while u look for it in the inv. If u get downed the buff disappears.
And the cherry on the cake is that the M-PEC can burn out..and guess when it did for me?…at 10% HP of the frikking Champion Arrowhead after I had been waiting for it for hours that felt like Eternities (yeah I just said that >_> ).

Best part of the story is that now you can’t complete HOPE IV collection coz of this is bugged: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Branded_Devourer_Ichor
The event chain was bugged long time ago, they made the item drop from another mob, and now the event of that mob is bugged.
I’m glad they stopped doing the leges this way xD
For our and their sanity!

Gandara (TAC)
15chars

(edited by nickcosta.8256)

Faaris.8013

@nickcosta: Fields of Ruin, area north of Sniper’s Woods. Kill Branded Devourers until the champ spawns. Might take 5 to 10 minutes. Did it 4 weeks ago.

Posted by: Neutra.6857

Neutra.6857

@nickcosta: Fields of Ruin, area north of Sniper’s Woods. Kill Branded Devourers until the champ spawns. Might take 5 to 10 minutes. Did it 4 weeks ago.

That event is bugged. Or at least last I checked it was bugged.

Faaris.8013

Since nobody here gave any details, I just went to the forest area and checked. The Giant Branded Devourer event icon in the GUI shows up when you enter the area, but there is no Giant Branded Devourer anywhere. Yesterday it was the same, so it’s not only happening on a single map instance.

About 4 to 5 weeks ago, I was able to trigger its spawn and get the Ichor. Something happened between then and now that bugged the event.