New Player vs. Vet Player value

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

For $50 here’s the breakdown.

Character Slots: Vet – 0, New – 6
Bank Tabs: Vet – 0, New – 1 (or is it 2 or 3 now?)
Maps: Vet – HoT (3 maps I think), New – the whole game + HoT
Story: Vet – HoT, New – Chapter 1 + HoT (I think you still need to purchase chapters 2 and 3)

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Since when does the core game contain 6 character slots?
We have no information about the number of maps. We are also getting plenty more than just new maps with HoT.
You get Zhaitan Story + Modremoth Story. You have to buy Mordremoth Rising Story (Living Story S2).

I suppose we are also disregarding the fact that veteran players have had access to the game for potentially 2,5 years?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Vet (assuming purchase at release): 3 years of gaming time, New: 0…

I make a proposal, vets get to buy HoT at $30 (currently the HoT – base game price) but they’re banned from the game for a period of time equal to the time since they bought the game until they buy HoT..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Genei.7502

Genei.7502

What about veteran players that recently convinced friends to buy the core game in anticipation of the “expansion”? HoT isn’t an expansion by definition. It is much more like an “expandalone”. Even WoW waits years to fold an expansion into the core.

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

Oh look, another thread where a guys fails to read.

The expansion is priced 50$
The base-game is just a free gift, usable for those who are new and want to get into gw2 without getting struck by a giant paywall (basegame + HoT).
This gift is only available for pre-purchase so far.
After the pre-purchase phase is over, the expansion-price will still be 50$ WITHOUT the core game as free gift.

Now if you want to discuss if 50 bucks is worth it or not, that’s a whole different story, but don’t fall for this flawed line of argumentation.
I can not understand how so many people can fail to read properly to the same time.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

The expansion is priced 50$
The base-game is just a free gift, usable for those who are new and want to get into gw2 without getting struck by a giant paywall (basegame + HoT).
This gift is only available for pre-purchase so far.
After the pre-purchase phase is over, the expansion-price will still be 50$ WITHOUT the core game as free gift.

except…

you can’t buy the core game from Anet currently,

the FAQ says:

Q: Do I have to own Guild Wars 2 to play the expansion?
A: Yes, but Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns includes the Guild Wars 2 core game.

(note that this doesn’t say anything about pre-orders, just HoT including GW2. in fact, this seems to indicate that this has nothing to do with prepurchases.)#

a free gift should be available to everyone,

and an Anet employee said on reddit that “FYI: There won’t be any other HoT editions, just so you know.” not pre-purchase editions, just straight up HoT editions.

and all this info is sitting here, easy for anyone to find and look at. to be honest, I can not understand how so many people can fail to read properly to the same time.

Posted by: Aeon.4583

Aeon.4583

Let’s call everything by the real name. Site says: Expansion + free orginal game for newcomers… this is totally wrong. They are selling original game + free expansion for new players who doesn’t have a game ( Original game (50$) + FREE EXPANSION (0$) ). It is still same price from orginal game, it means expansion goes for free, and old players just been screwed. I’ve never seen an expansion with price of core-game in my life, unless it is a standalone-game.

Posted by: Machiavell.7396

Machiavell.7396

John Smith: “You rang?”

Unofficial Master Bugfinder and Design Critic.
“He will improve everything that ArenaNet added to infinity and beyond.”

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

@ Gray:
The FAQ is all nice and dandy, but how about you look into gailes recent post. What do you think has more weight? A spelling mistake in a FAQ, or a specific declaration on a specific question, spawned by said FAQ entry?

@Aeon:
Check the WoW xpac prizes (to release) again.
BC 40$
WOTLK 40$
CATA 40$
MOP 40$
WOD 50$

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

(edited by Arantheal.7396)

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

@Arantheal:
I’ve double checked all gaile’s recent posts on reddit and here, and at no point does she say that the core game won’t be available with HoT after release. she states that the game is a free bonus several times, and claims that the price of the expansion is $50, but nowhere does she say that the expansion will be available without the core game post-release. in fact, there’s nothing anywhere to suggest that HoT will ever be available without the core game.

Posted by: Alexxander.8306

Alexxander.8306

Can we stop the disinformation?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3a95r8/to_those_who_said_anet_will_support_people_who/

HoT will ALWAYS include the base game. Period.

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

As a veteran gamer playing ANet games since the first GW1 betas, I have always felt valued by Anet.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Vet (assuming purchase at release): 3 years of gaming time, New: 0…

^^ This

I don’t get what the problem is about the new player and vet player debate. They lowered the barrier of entry into the game for new players, that’s what happened, giving away the core game for the price of Free as a bonus to anyone who buys HoT. Nothing more, nothing less, and it’s a good thing for everyone that they lowered the barrier for entry. Players demanding more because they’ve been playing for more forget that all these years they’ve been playing and enjoying the game, while new players are not.

The real problem is the 50$ price tag, from the content we’ve seen it’s not worth it. Let’s stop pretending this is about entitlement and vets getting nothing, Anet favoring new players and other things like that.

If HoT was 20$ nobody would care and nobody would ever bring up this vet vs new player nonsense. So, let’s all complain about the real problem (the price tag), voice our opinions on that so they add some more value to it (character slots etc) NOT because we are vet players and want more than the new players, but because the 50$ price tag needs more value to be justified.

Or at least “force” the devs to release the actual size of HoT map, length of story, amount of dungeons (if any), what challenging group content means etc so we can all see if 50$ is a fair price or not.

Posted by: MMOGamer.6175

MMOGamer.6175

Anyone in marketing and sales learns in day 1 it is easier to keep a customer, than it is to find new one.

Glad ArenaNet isn’t a car dealership.
You would have to rebuy your old car packaged with your new car.

Posted by: Aeon.4583

Aeon.4583

@Aeon:
Check the WoW xpac prizes (to release) again.
BC 40$
WOTLK 40$
CATA 40$
MOP 40$
WOD 50$

Really? Those are prices for WoW in your country? So i am not totally screwed after all