New Profession: Revenant

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

So possibly similar to elementalist attunements (or as someone else mentioned, engineer kits), you channel a particular legend to gain a specific skill set at a time, making this potentially a very flexible class.

Which would likely mean no weapon swap.

But it would give the heavy armor type one class that can’t weapon swap. Just like the other two armor types. (Engineer for medium, Elementalist for light).

Posted by: zityz.6089

zityz.6089

Channel Prince Rurick? Why would I want a skill that makes me bumrush mobs alone and die every five seconds?

This made me laugh way more than it should have. Kudos!

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

I think there will only be 4 Legends, and you’ll access them similar to how a Mesmer uses his Shatter skills. Once you select one, your primary skills will change (similar to an Elementalist).

Posted by: johnsonade.9547

johnsonade.9547

So possibly similar to elementalist attunements (or as someone else mentioned, engineer kits), you channel a particular legend to gain a specific skill set at a time, making this potentially a very flexible class.

Which would likely mean no weapon swap.

But it would give the heavy armor type one class that can’t weapon swap. Just like the other two armor types. (Engineer for medium, Elementalist for light).

That honestly makes a lot of sense. I know some people will want weapon swap. I mean both classes that can’t swap weapons really aren’t huge fans of it but we’ve grown to accept it for the most part. If the legendary summons allow triggering of sigils on a more frequent basis like engineers and eles enjoy, there will be benefits, but most heavy armor users are just used to being able to weapon swap. Eagerly awaiting more updates regardless of how that decision falls.

I think there will only be 4 Legends, and you’ll access them similar to how a Mesmer uses his Shatter skills. Once you select one, your primary skills will change (similar to an Elementalist).

I dunno… What if it’s a lore/exploration thing where you try to learn about or encounter as many legends as possible, like ranger pets? Only now you’re maybe you’re looking for scrolls or enchanted items that belonged to these legends? I bet we’d be seeing nerf requests all over the forums until the meta settled, but I’d be so down to learn a new profession and more about the lore through the Revenant class.

(edited by johnsonade.9547)

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

OK, the Ranger Pet concept never entered my head. That would be quite incredible.

Posted by: invimmorta.4698

invimmorta.4698

I just want to point out for others, especially those who subconsciously want to play a dervish, revenant is not one. I don’t get where this is coming from but you people are annoying.
There is logically no sign of dervish looks or mechanics in this class whatsoever. It is a class which summons spirits from the mists, relies on heroes from the past and interacts with the world using ‘spirits’ and ‘forces’ instead of senses, hence no eyesight (just like, e.g. ritualist in gw1).
I understands you want something, but twisting facts and logical fallacies will not make it happen, no matter how hard you try.
On the other note, the class looks amazing, cant wait to try it.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

I just want to point out for others, especially those who subconsciously want to play a dervish, revenant is not one. I don’t get where this is coming from but you people are annoying.
There is logically no sign of dervish looks or mechanics in this class whatsoever. It is a class which summons spirits from the mists, relies on heroes from the past and interacts with the world using ‘spirits’ and ‘forces’ instead of senses, hence no eyesight (just like, e.g. ritualist in gw1).
I understands you want something, but twisting facts and logical fallacies will not make it happen, no matter how hard you try.
On the other note, the class looks amazing, cant wait to try it.

It was explained in the stream that you channel legends of certain spirits to change your class skills. People are not getting it from nowhere.

Posted by: Pants Are Dangerous.2079

Pants Are Dangerous.2079

@Invictus

Thanks, I see your point. Besides I suppose people can always play another class if they don’t like the revenant.

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

It was explained in the stream that you channel legends of certain spirits to change your class skills. People are not getting it from nowhere.

Indeed. Channeling spirits looks like the open-to-all-races equivalent of avatars.

Doesn’t mean we’ll see any of the rest of the dervish playstyle come through, though, of course.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Testudo.4620

Testudo.4620

Does that mean all the dervish fans were playing norn before now?

Also I’d just like to point out that the Revenant on the official site isn’t holding a bow as it’s pointy and doesn’t continue past the bottom of the man’s hand.

Zhaife
Graduated top of class esports academy
#1 on fractal leaderboards

draxynnic.3719

When was the last time you saw a norn player use an animal form? They’ve become a casualty of the generally poor showing of transformation elites coupled with the way racial skills are generally lowballed in power to avoid optimised race/profession combinations from developing.

Agreed regarding the revenant on the official site, by the way. Looks like a curved one-handed sword rather than a bow to me.

Posted by: Testudo.4620

Testudo.4620

Incidentally, I see Norn use their animal form all the time. The rush is really useful in the Thaumanova fractal. :P

Zhaife
Graduated top of class esports academy
#1 on fractal leaderboards

draxynnic.3719

Yeah, I think I see what you mean, but that’s basically slotting it as an ‘I need this specific skill in order to deal with this specific situation’ rather than being part of anyone’s general use build.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I am wondering if the spirits channeling will be utilities or F keys mechanic.

I would like to see 4 F keys avalible and you could put one spirit in each of those, from the list of avalible ones off-combat (similar like Ranger pets).

The one thing Colin has mentioned and you guys don’t remember is the return of Weapon Enchanting, possibly Ritualist style.

I can already see the split in specializations – heavy with enchanted weapons and more traditional caster channeler.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

I like the concept of the Revenant.

Please Anet, add some (Canthan) Ritualist-hairstyles to the game. I’d like to play a human Der… Ri… Revenant.