New Racial Voice Actors?

New Racial Voice Actors?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

From the footage I saw of the various interactive dialogues of the playable characters, either the human males voice has significantly changed, or there is a new voice actor.

This presents a very weird inconsistency with the rest of the story.

If there is a new voice actor doing lines for the races, will all ambient/reactionary dialogue be re-recorded, or will we have weird and splintered voices moving between the “old” voice of the character in reactionary/ambient/vanilla personal story dialogue and the new HoT dialogue.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Scott McGough

Scott McGough

Narrative Lead

Next

The Human Male PC is still Nolan North, same as in the core version of GW2. Could you be more specific about what you mean when you say it sounds significantly changed?

Tonally, we did shoot for a terser, more urgent and in-command feel to the PC’s lines, as arriving on the scene of the Pact fleet wreckage is a much more intense situation than, say, bantering with Lord Faren at a party (as seen in the Human Noble Personal Story).

—Scott McG

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

The Human Male PC is still Nolan North, same as in the core version of GW2. Could you be more specific about what you mean when you say it sounds significantly changed?

Tonally, we did shoot for a terser, more urgent and in-command feel to the PC’s lines, as arriving on the scene of the Pact fleet wreckage is a much more intense situation than, say, bantering with Lord Faren at a party (as seen in the Human Noble Personal Story).

from the footage I heard, not just the tone change but the entire form of the vocals. the “vanilla” human male has a very refined and unique voice, and seems very composed under pressure (in a good way) and this new take on it seems to contradict that original portrayal (and seems to lose the accent a fair bit)

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Will any of the new vocalizations be used in the Stronghold beta on Tuesday? I wasn’t able to do the Closed Beta thanks to the bug with the portals so I haven’t heard the male voice myself yet. But if it’s enabled in Stronghold I can go on a human male for a round and listen for it to give some feedback.

That assumes that North re-read any of the base skill shouts, that is. If the new stuff is all only in Heart of Maguuma, I obviously won’t hear any difference

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Vizen.2049

Vizen.2049

The voice actor sounds to me very much the same, he was taking command, and there was more emotion and urgency in his delivery i will admit. It feels allot more refreshing that the older story quest dialogue especially when comparing too Trahearne dully delivered speeches and monologue. Outside of that I can’t say i notice the difference that you mention rapthorne =S

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

It sounds like Nolan North to me. Same with April Stewart.

I have to give the guys at ANet credit, actually. My character sounded like they were in charge and ready to lead and deal with the situation when they arrived. The new direction they’ve been given sounds 100 times better than the personal story face-to-face cutscenes.

I look forward to hearing more of it and seeing them adopt it in living world updates and future expansions.

My only criticism is I hope they record more dialogue than the standards we hear for the open world dialogue. Having Laranthir go, “Yay it’s the commander!” and hear my character go, “Time to bust some heads” felt a bit out of place, especially since I’ve heard the line a million times before. Getting some new dialogue that’s more appropriate for it would feel better.

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

It totally worked, great voice acting really felt like the player character was taking command.

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: YuiRS.8129

YuiRS.8129

No idea why would you say that, it’s clearly the same voice actor. He’s actually really good, but he’s been forced into pretty much the single “calm and rational” mood for every piece of VO he had to do and now they are giving Nolan North some room to cut loose. The male human has a great commanding rumble in his voice when he gets kittened, it’s great.

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I really loved the voice acting in the Beta, the intro was done just right and hearing my character speak again immediately made my character feel involved in the story. The text balloons were a nice touch. I also had no problems with the voice acting from the npc’s in the map.

EverythingOP

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Ferever.7014

Ferever.7014

Hey just a confirmation if you are bringing the VO back is it confirmed that Ron Yuan is still doing the Charr male voices?

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

Nolan North? I think you mean Nathan Drake, it’s ok though I see how this can be mistaken

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Scott McGough

Previous

Scott McGough

Narrative Lead

Hey just a confirmation if you are bringing the VO back is it confirmed that Ron Yuan is still doing the Charr male voices?

Yes, Ron Yuan is still providing the voice for the Charr Male PC.

—Scott McG

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: DocZed.6973

DocZed.6973

Can we take a moment to celebrate Nolan North?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLVYbAa_I-M

PS: while the Devs are monitoring this thread, was the choice based on his portrayal of “Vossaler Azelas” from FFXll?

All 9 classes leveled and geared to 80!
Remnants of Hope [HOPE]: Tarnished Coast

(edited by DocZed.6973)

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Lagos.6938

Lagos.6938

What about Charr Female? She was my favorite VA, and still has a similar cadence but sounds a bit ‘off’. Is it someone else or did Kate Miller have a cold that recording day?

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

What about Charr Female? She was my favorite VA, and still has a similar cadence but sounds a bit ‘off’. Is it someone else or did Kate Miller have a cold that recording day?

Hmm, really? for a long time the female charr PC voice made me shudder. I still wouldn’t say i like it – she just doesn’t sound like a charr the way the female NPCs do…

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Nataris.2350

Nataris.2350

I’ve only heard Sylvari Male, Human Male, Charr Female and Charr Male so far, but all of those sound much better than in the old personal story. Kudos to everyone involved imo.

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

They still sound about the same, but it seems like dialog on the whole is a bit more fluid, natural and complete. There IS more urgency and variance in their tones. I don’t know how the pre-HoT voices were recorded, but it seemed like they recorded lines in conversations individually (? because you can skip them? I think?) for those two-characters-standing-in-front-of-a-backdrop cutscenes. Playing through the core GW2 story on my new sylvari, she does sound a little flatter, and certain never yells or anything as they do in HoT. I very much like how my sylvari woman sounds in HoT. It was jarring at first to have her talking so much while moving through the world vs. basically total silence outside of cutscenes, so maybe that is part of why it seems weird to some people. Love it.

New Racial Voice Actors?

Posted by: Ranlares.2513

Ranlares.2513

Personally I would live to be able to choose from 2 or threee voices for my character, though I know that this is a ridiculous amount of work at this point. I think the female human voice is almost annoyingly assertive in HoT. There is no range to it, just flat mad everywhere no matter what