New Trait System, Gold Back?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Eldric.2109

Eldric.2109

Hi!, i am in a situation that i am sure many are, i level a new character to lvl 80, and would like to pick traits, but running around unlocking them don’t feel like an option so that leaves buying them. But with the new trait system coming, anything said about that we get our gold back that we spent on traits? I suppose we made the decision to buy them, but still would be good to know if i should put money on it or just wait.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

afaik, they never said that the new unlocking system is for free. They said that the current system of unlocking traits will be replaced by a new, easier system. but (if I didn’t miss anything), they only showed level 80 characters with all traits unlocked so far. So how you actually unlock them is unknown.

In the first unlocking system, it was for free for all existing characters. So unlocking them now, would mean that you don’t have to unlock them again. Wether or not unlocking them now is going to be cheaper or not is unknown. If it is chaper, I don’t expect a refund cause the price is fully optional right now.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Eldric.2109

Eldric.2109

Weren’t we supposed to spend hero points to unlock them or am i mixing this up with skills?

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

It won’t ever happen. The entire point of coming up with new systems is to force people to re-gear so that they will buy more gems to convert to gold.

Remember when they made divinity runes worthless? Most likely thousand of people didn’t have the patience to farm 60g for strength runes so they bought gems to convert them.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Weren’t we supposed to spend hero points to unlock them or am i mixing this up with skills?

This is correct. It’s one of the few very known things about what’s coming, in fact.

OP, those who’ve already spent gold on traits likely won’t get that back. Heck, those who unlocked them via world events won’t have any special compensation. If you can hold out a bit longer without traits, you will save your resources come the changeover. To be ready you will want to unlock as many skill challenges in the PvE maps as you can stomach doing, on as many alts as possible. 65 is the working figure for now, with more needed later when HoT arrives if you want the elite spec.

While those who spent coin on traits before the announced change might well feel aggrieved over this (and with good reason if they spent a lot in the days right before the announcement and would not have spent it until the new system showed up had they known), anyone spending on it post-announcement has had fair warning and should factor in the coming changes when deciding if it’s worth the outlay in order to have traits now.

Any time there is a major system overhaul there are going to be teething pains. ANet has historically done what it can to reduce this, eg when dyes went account wide people that had unlocked the same dye on multiple accounts got credit for the extra unlocks in the form of unidentified dyes to keep, use, or sell. /grins … the only time I’ve ever been over 400 gold was when I finally sold off a few stacks of those to make bank space, long after the change. Anyway, I’m sure they’re trying to come up with a method of compensation that is fair as well as accurately targeted. But if they can’t, well, gold will continue to flow into wallets and in not too long the impact will be smoothed over.

Posted by: DestinyEdge.2046

DestinyEdge.2046

I think those will just be converted into the new SP currency too for Mystic forge.

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

It won’t ever happen. The entire point of coming up with new systems is to force people to re-gear so that they will buy more gems to convert to gold.

Remember when they made divinity runes worthless? Most likely thousand of people didn’t have the patience to farm 60g for strength runes so they bought gems to convert them.

No it’s not, that’s a really absurd position to take.

@the OP, think of it this way: If you ever get any benefit from straight buying the traits (which you are in this case) you’re not getting that gold back. The new system doesn’t negate all the things you’ve done using the traits you obtained.

Posted by: Syione.3046

Syione.3046

I don’t mean to hijack the thread I just want to know if I have this correct.
I have 4 characters that are lvl 80. (I know I’m a slacker) Once HoT is live all of them will have 400 hero pts just for being 80. My ranger Jandu has 351 slot skill pts which means he will have the 65 extra pts so he can become a Druid. Ringil my Mesmer only has 31 which means if I do nothing with him he will have to earn 34 pts to become a Chronomancer. My first question is do I have to have all the traits and for the two characters will low slot skill points can I use the skill scrolls to make up the difference?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No, skill points from scrolls will be changed into the new MF currency. Only skill points from leveling and skill challenges will be changed into Hero Points.

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

I have 4 characters that are lvl 80. (I know I’m a slacker) Once HoT is live all of them will have 400 hero pts just for being 80. My ranger Jandu has 351 slot skill pts which means he will have the 65 extra pts so he can become a Druid. Ringil my Mesmer only has 31 which means if I do nothing with him he will have to earn 34 pts to become a Chronomancer. My first question is do I have to have all the traits and for the two characters will low slot skill points can I use the skill scrolls to make up the difference?

Your 80s will have 400 from leveling, yes. However, beyond that, they will only have points based on the number of currently-named Skill Challenges completed (commune spots, for example). Any skill points earned from leveling up after hitting 80 won’t net you hero points. If of the 351 points on your ranger, only 20 are from skill challenges, you would still need to get more.

Also, the 65 beyond 400 is the estimate for unlocking every base part of a class (skills, core specializations). We don’t yet know what it will take to unlock an elite spec.

Windsagio.1340

Your 80s will have 400 from leveling, yes. However, beyond that, they will only have points based on the number of currently-named Skill Challenges completed (commune spots, for example). Any skill points earned from leveling up after hitting 80 won’t net you hero points. If of the 351 points on your ranger, only 20 are from skill challenges, you would still need to get more.

Also, the 65 beyond 400 is the estimate for unlocking every base part of a class (skills, core specializations). We don’t yet know what it will take to unlock an elite spec.

Note that you can also look in the game completion stats for a character to see how many skill challenges you’ve gotten completed. I’ve made a point to make sure that all my characters have at least the 65 for all the base specs.

Posted by: Palindrome.8904

Palindrome.8904

Note that you can also look in the game completion stats for a character to see how many skill challenges you’ve gotten completed. I’ve made a point to make sure that all my characters have at least the 65 for all the base specs.

Or, you know, open the map and see the count :P

Windsagio.1340

Or, you know, open the map and see the count :P

That’s what I meant, I phrased it exceptionally poorly

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

This is correct. It’s one of the few very known things about what’s coming, in fact.

Thanks for clearing this up. Must have missed this part. Looking at the wiki, the heropoints replace skillpoints and can be used both for skills and traits.

I suspect that existing characters will get one of the following two things.
Option A: unlocked traits will stay unlocked. This gives an issue with conversion, but like the conversion from traitsystem 1 to the current one, they can do it simply that all existing characters gets all traits.
Option B: existing skills and traits get locked again, but you get the amount of skillpoints spend on them back in the form of heropoints.

In any case, I don’t see a refund of the gold happening.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

And it is highly likely that you will be required to unlock all core specializations before you are allowed to unlock an elite specialization on that character.

So 465 for core + whatever for elite. I’d expect 100 or more for elite.

Posted by: Sigmoid.7082

Sigmoid.7082

And it is highly likely that you will be required to unlock all core specializations before you are allowed to unlock an elite specialization on that character.

All we know at the moment is that you need lvl80 for the elite specs nothing more. Its entirely possible you won’t need everything unlocked. Iirc they said for everything its about 465 and 400 from levels, no mention of needing everything unlocked to get elite.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

That’s somewhat cynical. Any evidence of ANets intent or simply an assumption?

All we know at the moment is that you need lvl80 for the elite specs nothing more. Its entirely possible you won’t need everything unlocked. Iirc they said for everything its about 465 and 400 from levels, no mention of needing everything unlocked to get elite.

My understanding as well. Although the didn’t mention how Elites would fit into it. They did mention that the numbers were still being worked on, so come release at 80 we could have all the points we need, some of the points, most of the points or none of the points.

Posted by: Bezagron.7352

Bezagron.7352

Has Arenanet stated it’s actual skill challenges completed & not skill points. If so doesn’t this work against PvP players unlocking PvE traits & skills not to mention WvW players that don’t PvE much.

Hmm… Maybe PvP & WvW could purchase these challenges which could;

• Complete them
  • Or grant the reward but still allow them the option later to do the challenge.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Hello gals and guys.

Can somebody please explain to me what the purpose of these new “Mystic Forge” currency will be?

I’m asking because aside from Mystic salvage kits, I simply don’t use the MF at all.

(In fact throwing things down the toilet is one of the aspects of the game I despise the most…)

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

(edited by Ardid.7203)

Posted by: MattyP.6954

MattyP.6954

Gold is so cheap that you should be able to farm it back before the changes are even implemented…

Server — Fort Aspenwood
Mains — Mathias of the Wood [Ranger]; Collaborator Bluatt [Engineer]
Alts — Necromancer, Warrior, Elementalist

Windsagio.1340

Hello gals and guys.

Can somebody please explain to me what the purpose of these new “Mystic Forge” currency will be?

I’m asking because aside from Mystic salvage kits, I simply don’t unse the MF at all.

(In fact throwing things down the toilet is one of the aspects of the game I despise the most…)

Everyething that miyami (sp) sells for skill points right now.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Miyani’s goods, eh?
So, nothing useful to me, with the occasional exception of augur’s stone.
Argh… that sound so… useless. So I will have tons of a currency I hardly use, in exchange for losing a lot of the skills I do use most of the time?

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Has Arenanet stated it’s actual skill challenges completed & not skill points. If so doesn’t this work against PvP players unlocking PvE traits & skills not to mention WvW players that don’t PvE much.

Yes, they have. In blogs and in live streams they have said more than once that skill points from scrolls and from post-80 “level ups” will all convert to the new currency, and the only sources of Hero Points (which you spend for traits and skills in the new system) will be leveling up and doing in-world Hero Challenges, currently named Skill Challenges.

This gives them a finite pool of points available with an easily trackable source of those points.

Check the breach of faith thread for discussion of the impact on non PvE’ers.

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

Miyani’s goods, eh?
Argh… that sound so… useless. So I will have tons of a currency I hardly use, in exchange for losing a lot of the skills I do use most of the time?

I’m in the same boat.

• I don’t need to upgrade mats… because I need mats of various tiers to make ascended gear.
  • I don’t want to gamble away my ectos and shards which I need for Ascended. Since I have no intention of making a legendary, every mystic clover would be a loss.
  • I am not rich enough to spend 250 ectos and 750 orichalcum ingots on a single exotic forge skin.
  • The ascended back pieces are semi-affordable… 50 ectos and 250 tier 6 mats, but all but one of my characters runs around without a back-item showing, and books and quivers would not fit most of my characters.
  • Infusions are way, way, way, way, way too expensive for the effect. ’nuf said. And I can get WvW infusions which would do more for me anyway.

Ascended gear and superior siege is all.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Miyani’s goods, eh?

If your current character (that uses all those skills aforementioned^) is L80 and has never done a single Skill Challenge, that character will have 400 Hero Points which is 7/8ths (400/465) of all Hero Points possible.

If your current character (that uses all those skills aforementioned^) is not L80, that character will obtain the 400 Hero Points upon reaching L80, anyway.

If you are referring to Tomes and/or Scrolls that are sitting in the bank, and were hoping to use them on some possible to-be-created-in-the-future characters, then that won’t be possible in the future. Of course, no skills were being used on those possible future characters, at this time, as well.

Who knows? Maybe Miyani will have new, desirable items added to her list of goodies! =)

Good luck.

Posted by: Nephziel.6053

Nephziel.6053

Do you ask for a refund after you have eaten a bar of chocolate?!
I do not see the reason why they should refund your gold.
You have bought something of a specific value at the time and used it but now that the value is changing you want a refund.

Windsagio.1340

Miyani’s goods, eh?

It’s not really a new feature, it’s to make it so no functionality is (or resources are) lost when they take out skill points.

If they didn’t do this conversion, or something related you wouldn’t be able to buy those items at all.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

The gold you made was made considering what you’ll spend it in.

Now that’ll change. You’ll make other amounts of gold, and they’ll be spent in other things.

Value of items will change accordingly.

They can’t give you a refund for something you already used just because they are replacing it with something different. That’ll only give lots of players lots of gold that will only inflate the economy and devalue gold even more, players with more characters would get way more gold.

And not everyone spend gold to unlock their traits, and they most definitely don’t have recorded the way a trait was unlocked. So they can’t know if you actually paid for them or did the content instead.

So what you ask can’t be done.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

Do you ask for a refund after you have eaten a bar of chocolate?!
I do not see the reason why they should refund your gold.
You have bought something of a specific value at the time and used it but now that the value is changing you want a refund.

exactly, that’s like when others would like to refund their time invested in events to unlock the traits without gold not gonna happen