New camera = Oculus Rift support?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: StevenMah.9854

StevenMah.9854

Anyone thought the same? :P I’d be super surprised if Arena-net doesn’t have a few Oculus lying around in their workspace (doesn’t mean they would be happy to implement it though…)

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

No, people have been asking for these things before Oculus rift was just a concept.

You have to build your game around VR for it to work. It could be retrofitted but it wont be as good. Guidl wars 2 is ultimate a third person combat game, it will not work well with the rift.

Also the rift is a 200-400 piece of equipment with a niche fanbase what makes you think ARenanet will support it?

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

No, people have been asking for these things before Oculus rift was just a concept.

You have to build your game around VR for it to work. It could be retrofitted but it wont be as good. Guidl wars 2 is ultimate a third person combat game, it will not work well with the rift.

Also the rift is a 200-400 piece of equipment with a niche fanbase what makes you think ARenanet will support it?

There was a ton of news out of GDC this year about VR in general. There are a fairly large amount of these devices coming. Sony has one. Valve has one. There is Oculus. Microsoft is going to be peddling one that is a bit different. There are a few others too. This is something the industry is already looking toward as a part of the future. It’s a valid question.

I personally think that they could be tinkering with it, not for GW2, but for the future. A lot of the stuff that ArenaNet release is testing for later things. I think the rare and exotic food we saw at the Ram Fest. was testing for 500 cooking. The lottery tickets and daily Ram Fest. envelopes were the same thing. Silverwastes seems to me to be a precursor to the systems we will experience in HoT only they will be a little more fleshed out. It’s all iteration. They add this camera, and if they happen to have a Valve VR kit lying around and someone wants to tinker with it they will.

The thing about Valve’s VR kit that is so inspiring is people say they are experiencing “Presence” with it. Presence is what happens when you are in VR and you have a subconscious level reaction to something. An arrow flies at you from a Ranger and you try to avoid it at a “fight or flight” level of your brain that goes beyond thinking about it. Games don’t offer that type of experience at the moment. I know I would be interested in that sort of experience in an MMO for sure.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Iason Evan.3806)

Posted by: Kulf.4617

Kulf.4617

Although I am a big fan of Oculus Rift and I’d like GW2 to have support for it, I personally do not think it will work well at all.
I mean just walking around using Oculus Rift is enough to make many people have motion sickness and wanna puke, imagine jumping around with hammer skills or dodges, the camera just goes 360 spin all over the place, that is gonna make anyone puke.

Posted by: Thenme.6491

Thenme.6491

There might not be an official support bu there is allready oculus rift for gw1 and gw2 out there its just show you the screen but when they add pov it would just be like u play

Posted by: choucs.4507

choucs.4507

oculus rift is dying, im buying the steamVR thats releasing this year.

Posted by: Kodiak.3281

Kodiak.3281

This is actually the first thing I thought about when I read the camera changes as well regardless if it has any merit. There’s been a lot of buzz about VR this year and who knows what the future holds.

Kodiak X – Blackgate

Posted by: Zenopheus.3950

Zenopheus.3950

I have an Oculus Rift DK2 and this was also the first thing I thought when I heard the news.
VR is coming in a big way soon. First Person support is the first of many hurdles that ArenaNet needs to address. Keeping the experience the same for 2.5D players while making the necessary changes to avoid VR motion sickness will be a real challenge for designers and engineers. They also need to refactor a bunch of rendering shortcuts that become more apparent when in VR. Not to mention they have to ensure VR players don’t get an unfair advantage over 2.5D players.
ArenaNet has the skills, its just going to take some time.