New legendary weapons look underwhelming.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

I might be in the minority here and I’m perfectly willing to take criticism but I want to see if others are in the same boat as me.

When I saw the new axe, I thought it was awesome. I felt like even though the style was taken from that of Twilight and Sunrise, that it worked. The pistol was the same way. It felt great and seems like it will work really well for Engineers. Then there is the staff. I liked the concept but it didn’t really do much for me as I just saw what looked like a dead branch with a raven on it. It looked like a Halloween skin or possibly one from black lion traders. Then I saw the raven pop-up when it was wielded and liked it more. Crossing my fingers, I was hoping that Nevermore (the staff) would look a lot better in action during the guild chat stream….and it did, and didn’t.

All three weapons seem to have weaker footfalls that don’t last as long as the current generation. The axe wasn’t really unique enough. The pistol was pretty on par of what I would expect but I felt like it needed something. Different projectiles perhaps. Then the staff was nice but I felt the blue raven that appears when you wield the weapon was way too big. I did like the subtle ravens going up the staff though but maybe those should be bigger.

What I’m really getting to here is that I don’t feel like these are really on par with what I was expecting. I heard about this legendary journey and how it will take quite a bit of time to complete a collection and upgrade the precursor. I guess in my head I thought I would be getting much more in-depth legendary weapons.

Ones that stand out for me are ones that really have their own flavor and do something different. Juggernaut, for instance isn’t like all the other legendary weapons. You actually change over to a metallic look. This kind of makes it easy to notice when another player in PvP or WvW weapon swaps but its still a nice effect. Predator is the same way. You get a unique aura that really shows the weapon and your character off. I noticed that Nevermore kind of did this but maybe not enough. The ravens flying around were pretty cool but it seems like there needs to be more or maybe form a dark cloud around the character when the staff is wielded.

One thing I would also like to add is that without seeing legendary armor, I can see why maybe they didn’t go too crazy with effects. I’m just curious as to what others think.

TL;DR version: Like title says, the legendary weapons don’t really look like what I would expect from a legendary journey. They don’t really feel that unique and kind of just appear as glorified BL skins. However, I do understand they might be holding back from going all out because of technical restrictions or legendary armor.

ALSO, I don’t want to discredit or put any of those who worked on these weapons down. I just wanted to provide some feedback.

Maguuma Guardian

(edited by Blackarps.1974)

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

Idk, I absolutely loved the axe, kind of hated the pistol and didnt care much about nevermore

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Pistol looks like a sawed-odd Predator that’s fueled by lightning instead of fire.

The other two are very impressive.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Derenek.8931

Derenek.8931

Skins aren’t as important as stat swapping. This makes them suddenly more powerful than ascended gear. All players will eventually feel they have to have that gear to be part of end game

Blackarps.1974

Skins aren’t as important as stat swapping. This makes them suddenly more powerful than ascended gear. All players will eventually feel they have to have that gear to be part of end game

I see it more of a complete package, you know? I want every part of it, even down to the purple name tag that comes up in chat.

Maguuma Guardian

Posted by: Woobins.1803

Woobins.1803

“Aren’t as important”
“All players”

Speak for yourself.

I personally prefer the skins more than the ability to stat swap, because the current implementation doesn’t allow for sigil swapping, so in my mind, stat swapping is largely irrelevant.

Furthermore, the main reason why I cant be bothered doing map comp/requirements for a legendary is as an Engineer main, none of the legendary’s are appealing, including juggernaut (to me anyway, YMMV) and even if I was, they’re currently bugged/hidden on a lot of our skills.

On another note;

I really hope they add more ‘punch’ to the pistol firing sound at least instead of these cheesy throwback sci-fi noises (we already have Quip..).

Also why the suppressor/silencer kitten? It’s like hey here’s this glowey-as-flaming/lightning wreathed weapon of destruction that you can see from everywhere ((but its really really quiet so its all good)).

(edited by Woobins.1803)

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Weak footfalls is not a new thing to Gen 2 legendaries.

Look at Meteorologicus and Howler. The footfalls are minuscule and barely noticeable on my male norn.

What’s worse, Meteorologicus’s footfalls are a copy paste from bolt, except Bolt’s are just cooler.

What’s more, Meteorologics STILL hasn’t had an aura update, and in the case of Howler the footfalls have very short duration.

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I like Nevermore as a model overall, but I can’t really get myself to like the effect of the Spirit Raven. The projectile, footfalls, the sleeve, the way it looks on your back, the murder of “crows” flying above you—great—the slowly flapping Spirit Raven though.. not a fan, at all. It’s too big, obscures too much of the character, looks low-resolution/washed out, and it’s flat, that’s right, flat. When viewed from a straight on angle, it’s “invisible”, it’s thinner than paper. Not a fan, at all. If they’d work a bit more on that part of the Staff, I think it could be a very cool Legendary.

The other two, I like them, quite a bit too. Axe looks fantastic, and I only wish Chronomancer could wield an Axe (especially with that pendulum at the bottom), fitting a “time & space” theme. Pistol has at least decent looking electrical effects, compared to Bolt’s stretched, terrible looking electricity effects shooting off your body (I really wish they’d revisit that and clean it up a bit, it looks terrible), or the weird footprints of Meteorlogicus (thunder clouds on the ground, shooting lighting up into the air.. weird concept to me, could do with a revisit as well). Overall, a nice new trio of new Legendaries, but that raven seriously needs work still. It looks as bad as when it were datamined two years ago (—Sorry to whomever designed it, I just don’t like the execution, the concept is nice).

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

I dont like them personally. Hope is actually somewhat decent but its also copy-paste of predator. I hope new legends looks much better – looking at you sword and hammer

I wonder how legendary armor looks like at this point.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Posted by: VentiGlondi.9830

VentiGlondi.9830

I’d take HOPE over Twilight any time

Posted by: Aesa.4819

Aesa.4819

I wish Nevermore had more pronounced footfalls, they are barely noticeable right now. If the footfalls would be better, I think the staff would be really nice

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I like the staff it’s an improvement IMHO over Bifrost
I think the axe is nice, but I have no huryy making an axe.
I think an engineer with HOPE, predator and the Juggernaut would look nice and shiny

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Pistol is amazing

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Opinions about art differ! Film at 11.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Yelloweyedemon.2860

Yelloweyedemon.2860

Eeeh… Kinda like the two copy pasted Greatswords we had for years? The ugliest weapons existing in Tyria…

Fashion police should immediate arrest & perma ban anyone with Eternity/Twilight because my eyes bleed every time I see someone with them.

Oh and don’t mention those fractal abomination looking things they call weapons…

LOL

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Just leaving this here….sometimes less is more.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

they are all underwhelming IMO. The only one I like is The Flameseeker, and I have it. the rest are not that great looking.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

I like the toned down legendaries better than OMG EFFECTS!. I like everything about Nevermore except, well, the main effect. The spirit raven is too big and too blue and overwhelms everything else. The raven bolts are pretty big too – scale all that down and I would be over the moon with it, but that means someone would be unhappy about it, so … no win situation.

Posted by: Sidenti.6035

Sidenti.6035

I think all the Legendaries look ridiculous. I don’t care for any of the particle effects and have resolved to transmute Kudzu with a nice Ebon Vanguard skin should the opportunity arise.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

I find them all amusing and fun to go for.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

eh.. i think they are just right. The staff effects are too busy imo…the raven spirit covers way too much of the staff if drawn but then again i dont feel like making a staff anyways.

Axe is lovely, specially with the observatory theme to it. Perfect legendary for a druid imo. Also it looks painfull and sharp and the gold\blue theme is quite nice too. Beats frostfang for me by miles…never was a fan of it. Certainly gonna make it

Hope is the wet dream of many engineers and its a serios gun for once and also its
huuuuge and its shot sound isnt annoying either like at the predator. Ill certainly craft it.

Nevermore is…well its not my deal but its not ugly by all means, just too busy, you can barely make out the cool arm effect with that giant spirit in the way. Gonna skip this one this time. Well maybe the precursor comes without the spirit raven cause the “blank” staff with the crow already would do it for me.

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

I like the subtle legendaries way more than the ridiculous ‘effects everywhere!!111’ stuff.

On a related note, I think they should get rid of those gaudy footsteps entirely, for all legendaries. Doesn’t really work in a multiplayer game, way too messy.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

I would have to see how they look ingame, from the images though, they don’t make me want to work towards them, I would love a Legendary staff but I play necro and that shiny rainbow disaster just doesn’t do it for me, and the new staff I feel has been made nearly exclusive for the new Ranger Elite Spec, which is a shame,

Maybe we will eventually see new Legendary’s being added that will give us all the type of weapons we like, for now though pre cursor crafting is a miss for me.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

I find the crow confusing, how is a raven tough? We step up to Lupicus & sick our bird on him? His response…

PUNT…dead lol.

It’s all good, I’m just happy that they are making more.

(No matter your opinion on the pistol, can we agree its an upgrade to Quip.)

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Black Lion weapons are on par with legendaries these days in terms of looks.

Posted by: ImdA.4701

ImdA.4701

I personally like Hope, but im kinda disappointed about both staff and axe. Anyway, I already have Bifrost and Frostfang, so doesn’t really matter.

Posted by: Deim Hunir.8503

Deim Hunir.8503

After seeing the new weapons in action I have to say I’m surprised I actually like the pistol considering I dislike the other elemental legendaries, especially the incinerator and Bolt.
The effects look nice.
The staff is my favourite though.
The axe is nice aswell … the whole celestial theme could be nice on a druid.

Posted by: Corran.4957

Corran.4957

If only pistol had more use on a mesmer – would use Bolt/New Pistol for a all round electrical effect. Could even pretend that it the electricity passing from bolt to power the pistol

Posted by: Nocta.5274

Nocta.5274

Definitely making the pistol, it looks really cool. I’m hoping P/P stays viable for Engi because of that pistol skin lol

Characters :
Nooctae ( Thief ) / Encelya ( Engineer ) / Jane Crimson ( Elementalist ) / Kowywr ( Revenant )
Europe, Vizunah.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I’ve never found any of the legendary weapon designs and/or effects to be worth the effort needed to acquire them. They are just not all that interesting or attractive.

In fact, I find many of the BL skins (pact fleet especially) to be of higher quality and of a more attractive design. They should throw some legendary effects on those skins, or separate the legendary effects from the skins so one unlocks the effect that can be used on the weapon of the player’s choice.

Regarding the new legendaries they have shown:

The axe was the first legendary I’d consider doing all the work to acquire.

However, I was basing this thought on the pic that got posted where it was white. Now I see that it is not white, but gold.

::sigh::

I cannot stand how they keep taking these great designs and ruining them by making them gold-colored instead of a neutral or more commonly used color.

Seeing this constant destroying of weapon styles with gold elements also forces me to become disappointed all over again because I’m reminded that weapons cannot be dyed.

So many good weapon styles that I will not work toward acquiring simply because of the color chosen for it, despite the style being perfect for one or more of my characters.

So much work is put into these weapons, but their obsession with making everything gold turns this player away from being interested in them at all, sadly.

It’s such a shame.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Blackarps.1974

A lot of good points here so far. It seems like most people are on the same page. The medium of not too much but not enough effects is pretty clear.

I want to address the few that didn’t quite seem to see the point of my post. Its not that my view of art or what a legendary should be is so different, its that I feel these weapons don’t really offer anything special or different. I was expecting this round of legendary weapons to be a little more than what we’ve seen because of the “journey” we have to go on. This isn’t a rant or rage post and I’m sorry if it came off that way. I was just curious if others saw/thought what I did.

Maguuma Guardian

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

Well maybe the precursor comes without the spirit raven cause the “blank” staff with the crow already would do it for me.

Oh, hey – I completely forgot about that. I would totally be on board with a version that doesn’t have the big blue bird, but keeps the cloud of ravens. I’m back on the train!

Posted by: Shogun.7401

Shogun.7401

HOPE is much better than Quip.

I wonder who designed Quip!!!

Posted by: Canakun.8031

Canakun.8031

don’t craft one then

Mamorou Itou Defense Club.
Protect him at all costs.

Posted by: Bitoku Kishi.8346

Bitoku Kishi.8346

Personally I think all 3 of them look significantly better than their old legendary equivalents. I’m really looking forward to seeing what else they come up with for the others now.

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

I find the staff the best personally. Gonna be making it for my mesmer.
I’m not into the tech theme with the pistol, and I’ve been celestialed out with the greatswords.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

(edited by Zalani.9827)

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

I hope they don’t change a thing about Nevermore

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

HOPE is much better than Quip.

I wonder who designed Quip!!!

Some joker probably.

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

I liked the original image of HOPE better (though I still wasn’t fond of the colour).
Not huge on it now (and I find the concept/lore boring and… not very legendary-sounding)

Astralaria would have been alright had the entire blade transitioned into space, but having an actual edge just looks tacky.

And I agree with the sentiment that the Spirit aspect of Nevermore diminishes its appeal; it’s too bright and gaudy… :-(

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Staff is less amazing than I originally anticipated, but pistol got my FULL ATTENTION.

I used to look down on it due to plain design, but after seeing the detail and the bolts it shoots out, I’m absolutely in love with it!

Too bad I do not use pistol so often, aside with playing a condition engi in WvW roaming.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

Or…for the same price you could make like 20 ascended weapons, all of which can contain the ideal sigil for their stat set rather than having to share, and can be spread across multiple characters to avoid having to transfer all your gear every time you play something else.

Posted by: Akachi.1352

Akachi.1352

Weak footfalls is not a new thing to Gen 2 legendaries.

Look at Meteorologicus and Howler. The footfalls are minuscule and barely noticeable on my male norn.

What’s worse, Meteorologicus’s footfalls are a copy paste from bolt, except Bolt’s are just cooler.

What’s more, Meteorologics STILL hasn’t had an aura update, and in the case of Howler the footfalls have very short duration.

At least you get footfalls, Flameseeker Prophecies doesn’t have any, and it’s the only gen 1 legendary without them to make it worse.

Back to OP though, I think it’s really horses for courses, as I found then all amazing, then again I am comparing them to FP

Posted by: Thagyr.4136

Thagyr.4136

I will definitely be making the HOPE pistol. More so because I have Quip and it’d be nice having a semi-serious legendary for my condi engi. Quip wasn’t really strong in the looks department or the footfalls area. It was just a noisy as heck weapon.

(edited by Thagyr.4136)

Posted by: Avador.8934

Avador.8934

It’s just a matter of personal taste. I for example like them a lot. Especially the staff.

I am lazy to write it over and over. So sorry for my English.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Love them. Especially the way to acquire them.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

Probably I shall get Nevermore!

Posted by: Daedolon.4583

Daedolon.4583

Finally a Legendary pistol that looks great & suits perfect for my Engineer,
I just wish there was also a legendary rifle that suited the Engineer.
The Predator’s got a Scope and it’s looks great with Warrior class but
when used by the Engineer its held like a shotgun so looks rubbish, I hope the GW2 : HOT has a Legendary shotgun (side x side sawn off would be great )

Posted by: Johntrc.8250

Johntrc.8250

Do you think that they might add the hand holding animation to the Legendaries we already have ?

Olorin Isemortis
Elementalist
Followers of the Great Cthulhu [FOGC]

Posted by: Zach.2618

Zach.2618

when used by the Engineer its held like a shotgun so looks rubbish, I hope the GW2 : HOT has a Legendary shotgun (side x side sawn off would be great )

I main engi and got the predator and it’s awesome:D I like to imagine I’m just so kitten like Rambo I can shoot a flaming sniper rifle without aiming and from the hip lols. If they were to create a shotgun rifle legendary I’d hope it will be a funny kind of weapon like quip haha I would like a diff style legendary for each weapon type 1 fun and 1 serious haha

Posted by: Kodama.6453

Kodama.6453

Same for me, I love H.O.P.E. and will definitely get it.
And even if it isn’t fitting the shotgun of engineer skills, I would love to see a legendary gatling gun as a new legendary rifle.
Let’s make it that way we are preparing a giant skritt meeting where they all connect their minds to create a new weapon to fight the dragons out of scrap. And this would be the new legendary gatling gun Ratatat! Effects when pulling the weapon and foot prints would be bullet casings spreading around!