New precursors still be obtained using RNG?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: kantoku.5421

kantoku.5421

For example from the mystic forge or from random mob/chest drops. I understand that they’re supposed to be account bound, but will we still be able to gamble for them?

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

from what i undestand :

new precursor – from crafting only, and account bound.
old precursor – RNG as in the current system, and tradable.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

The new precursors and legendaries will not be tradeable, but it isn’t clear whether you can get them from drops or the Forge.

The old ones will still be obtainable from drops, forge and TP but are also obtainable from the new collections system. They will also be tradeable. So expect TP prices to start tumbling as more and more appear.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I read this paragraph in the blog,

“This crafting system is an account-based activity, which means you’ll only be able to craft each precursor this way once. However, all of the currently existing precursor acquisition methods will remain intact in addition to this new acquisition method. That means that if you want a particular precursor more than once, you’ll have to fall back to the original methods of acquisition.”

as saying the new ones can be gotten the old ways. Or else they are saying you can’t make double Legendaries if the mood so moves you.

I can see that it could be read as the old ways will work only for the old precursors, which will also have the new ways, and the new ones will only get the new ways, but I’m going to keep seeing it as every pre has the same two ways of getting it.

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

I read this paragraph in the blog,

“This crafting system is an account-based activity, which means you’ll only be able to craft each precursor this way once. However, all of the currently existing precursor acquisition methods will remain intact in addition to this new acquisition method. That means that if you want a particular precursor more than once, you’ll have to fall back to the original methods of acquisition.”

as saying the new ones can be gotten the old ways. Or else they are saying you can’t make double Legendaries if the mood so moves you.

I can see that it could be read as the old ways will work only for the old precursors, which will also have the new ways, and the new ones will only get the new ways, but I’m going to keep seeing it as every pre has the same two ways of getting it.

Well, now there’s a double-deal for double legends. You craft one old and one new, you have two Legendary, let’s say, swords to dual wield. They can have any stats. Advantage: you can change their skins to either one, and you get both skins. It’s making double-legends less redundant, in this way.

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

ok so this is how I read it:

1. New precursor = Account bound. Obtainable only through collection.
2. New legendary = Account bound
3. Old precursor = Tradable for the final form pre-legendary. Skins will be updated. Obtainable through existing methods as well as through collection.
4. Old precursor = Account bound for the two(?) pre-precursor forms. Obtainable only through collection.
5. Old Legendary = Tradable.

Posted by: dobri.7820

dobri.7820

It’d be good to know if the new precursors will be still available true the old means of acquiring. And if they (the new precursors) will be tradable.

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Not entirely sure if there will be more ways of obtaining the new precursors, but the new precursors are confirmed to be completely untradable.

“We also want to better preserve the prestige associated with crafting a legendary weapon, so the new legendary weapons, and their precursors, will not be tradable. Keep an eye out—we can’t wait to start showing them off when they’re ready!”

Posted by: Ralanost.8913

Ralanost.8913

It’d be good to know if the new precursors will be still available true the old means of acquiring. And if they (the new precursors) will be tradable.

If you read the blog post you would know already. Yes, the old precursors can still be found via drops or the mystic toilet. The old precursors gained the current way will still be tradeable. Any precursors made with the mastery system will be account bound. The new legendaries will only be available through the mastery system, so neither they or their precursors will be available for trade.

Lazaar.9123

If you read the blog post you would know already. Yes, the old precursors can still be found via drops or the mystic toilet. The old precursors gained the current way will still be tradeable. Any precursors made with the mastery system will be account bound. The new legendaries will only be available through the mastery system, so neither they or their precursors will be available for trade.

Not quite, the old precursors that are crafted with the recipe obtained from the new system will be tradable.

" This final collection unlocks the recipe to craft the polished final iteration of the precursor. For all of our existing precursors, this is a tradable exotic weapon, but they will all be updated to use new skins that look much like the legendary weapons they’ll one day become. "

Ralanost.8913

Not quite, the old precursors that are crafted with the recipe obtained from the new system will be tradable.

" This final collection unlocks the recipe to craft the polished final iteration of the precursor. For all of our existing precursors, this is a tradable exotic weapon, but they will all be updated to use new skins that look much like the legendary weapons they’ll one day become. "

Yes, existing, as in current ones. Like ones in the game right now. Read it again.

Lazaar.9123

Yes, existing, as in current ones. Like ones in the game right now. Read it again.

No, existing refers to the legendaries and precursors that are not the new ones coming in Heart of Thorns, in the two paragraphs before that is specifically says the two tiers that build-up to the full precursor are untradable, but it says the precursor you craft with the recipe obtained from completing the final tier is a tradable exotic weapon.

As a reference that they have used the terminology in this way before, here is a quote from the mastery system blog.

“Master Legends: Train in legendary crafting to learn to create all existing legendary weapon precursors and new legendary weapon precursors introduced with Heart of Thorns.”

(edited by Lazaar.9123)

Ralanost.8913

No, existing refers to the legendaries and precursors that are not the new ones coming in Heart of Thorns, in the two paragraphs before that is specifically says the two tiers that build-up to the full precursor are untradable, but it says the precursor you craft with the recipe obtained from completing the final tier is a tradable exotic weapon.

As a reference that they have used the terminology in this way before, here is a quote from the mastery system blog.

“Master Legends: Train in legendary crafting to learn to create all existing legendary weapon precursors and new legendary weapon precursors introduced with Heart of Thorns.”

Well, then either the blog post is wrong or WP is.

Lazaar.9123

Well, then either the blog post is wrong or WP is.

I just looked through the comment section, and he admits that he read it wrong.

Edit: Post tidying.

(edited by Lazaar.9123)

Posted by: dobri.7820

dobri.7820

if You read my post I was wondering about the NEW Precursors

and in the blog posts it states that old ways of getting precursors will be still valid way to get a precursor (if for example if you want to make 2nd dublicat of a legendary)

so there is a confusion in me:
Is it possiple to get new prec as drop/MF?
will it be accound bound?
-if yes -what do I do whit it if I don’t want it?
-if no -how do I get to do 2 identical HoT legendaries (lets say for example two staffs)

I remembet reading somewhere that The only way of getting HoT-Prec will be the prec-crafting way + Hot-precs will be Accound-bound
but blog states somthing else.

(edited by dobri.7820)

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I’m not sure why there is so much confusion…

Old precursors:
1. MF
2. Random drops
3. 1 per precursor per account by crafting/collection
- can be traded and sold to other players

New Precursors:
1. 1 per precursor per account by crafting/collection
- account bound

The whole point of new legendaries is that you CAN’T just buy them, you have to earn them.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

“This crafting system is an account-based activity, which means you’ll only be able to craft each precursor this way once. However, all of the currently existing precursor acquisition methods will remain intact in addition to this new acquisition method. That means that if you want a particular precursor more than once, you’ll have to fall back to the original methods of acquisition”

This suggests to me that they will in fact be obtainable via drops and Mystic Forge.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

When it comes to crafting the account bound ones, will you be able to craft the old school pre cursors? To make weapons like Bolt, Sunrise etc? Or is this crafting method for the brand new legendaries?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Posted by: tfcgeneralkmk.9508

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

When it comes to crafting the account bound ones, will you be able to craft the old school pre cursors? To make weapons like Bolt, Sunrise etc? Or is this crafting method for the brand new legendaries?

yes you will be able to do you just won’t have to rely on TP, mystic toilet or a very small RNG rate to get the precursor for them

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Actually I read that the new precursors were actually the old ones and they would be obtainable from a combination of a crafting/mastery system they are implementing requiring that you complete a certain line of mastery in order to get the precursor. There was also mention of a revamp to the rewards system coming not with loot mind you but adding loot options when the mastery was updated to include certain items needed in crafting legendaries from activities like chests at the end of jump puzzles for example.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

“For now, I’ll say that we’ve been working kitten new legendary weapons, the first handful of which will be introduced in Heart of Thorns, with more to come in subsequent updates.”

This sounds to me like we aren’t getting a new legendary for every weapon in the game at HoT launch either. A “handful” doesn’t scream “full set” of new legendaries to me. It’s also quietly tucked into the text as well.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Sir Cusfreak.5971

Sir Cusfreak.5971

I hope that the new Precursors can be obtained by drops as well as “the journey”. BUT I must say that if a new precursor is obtained by a drop, or by the forge, it absolutely SHOULD be able to be sold. I like the idea that if I use “the journey” method, it’s mine and mine alone – because I chose that one. But if it’s obtained by drop or forge, and it’s yours and yours alone, that’s not cool. If I got a precursor that was for a legendary I don’t want, and I can’t do anything with it, that would really suck. That’s not fun. I hope they clarify this soon.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

I hope that the new Precursors can be obtained by drops as well as “the journey”. BUT I must say that if a new precursor is obtained by a drop, or by the forge, it absolutely SHOULD be able to be sold. I like the idea that if I use “the journey” method, it’s mine and mine alone – because I chose that one. But if it’s obtained by drop or forge, and it’s yours and yours alone, that’s not cool. If I got a precursor that was for a legendary I don’t want, and I can’t do anything with it, that would really suck. That’s not fun. I hope they clarify this soon.

What part of not tradeable don’t you get. It’s pretty clear they don’t want prestige to be purchased by someone playing the auction house.

If you don’t get a precursor you want, too bad. I get ascended boxes with stats I don’t want all the time.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Why change it now though, by not making them tradable it will allow those who have 10’s of 1000’s of gold to dominate the market when it come out what is needed, imagine if it does require the same MATs as current legendary’s and you have to farm for them now instead, people who can control the market can push them prices WAY up, it makes no sense to make 1 set tradable and 1 set not,

Not to mention that by making them non tradable they will hurt there own Gems – Gold market.

Ralanost.8913

Why change it now though, by not making them tradable it will allow those who have 10’s of 1000’s of gold to dominate the market when it come out what is needed, imagine if it does require the same MATs as current legendary’s and you have to farm for them now instead, people who can control the market can push them prices WAY up, it makes no sense to make 1 set tradable and 1 set not,

Not to mention that by making them non tradable they will hurt there own Gems – Gold market.

Absolute nonsense. They changed it since most people hate the current method and think the TP lessens any uniqueness or prestige legendaries have. And they are right. They should never have been on the TP in the first place. But they aren’t changing how the old ones work. You get one from drops or the mystic toilet? You are still free to put it on the tp. But you can’t do that with the new ones. It means that anyone that puts in the effort can get one and at the same speed. Not just people with deep pockets.

Just be honest and say that you hate not being able to get ahead of others by spending your money.

Posted by: Machiavell.7396

Machiavell.7396

Judging by Fractals, new precursors might aswell be Bound on Pickup like exotics in Fractals are.

Unofficial Master Bugfinder and Design Critic.
“He will improve everything that ArenaNet added to infinity and beyond.”

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

I am quite sure you will be able to sell them to merchants for 1 Gold.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

People need to stop reading what they want out of the developer were clear as day and I’m not sure how much more black and white they could have been.

Existing Precursors -as in the ones we currently have in the game NOW- can either be crafted only the one time or obtained through dumb luck RNG, as that system is not going away. So the existing Precursors have their original method, as that is not going away, or the new method of Mastery.

New Precursers -as in for new Legendary weapons not yet introduced in the game- will be ACCOUNT BOUND, UNTRADABLE, and possibly Mastery Only (certainly doubt they’d be drop or random RNG through the Mystic Forge if they’re untradeable). In fact, reading this part “The methods by which you’ll craft these legendary weapons are similar to the existing system, but we’ve refined it into more of a journey, similar to precursor crafting.” sounds as though they’re not made like the current ones. This can be assumed that they might not even need the Gift of Fortune (wouldn’t that be a God send of a change?).

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

I think the old Precursors/Legendaries should become account bound just to go along with the new ones that will be coming to the game. And any of them that are currently in the TP should remain there until it is either bought or removed by the owner, and then instantly become account bound when you do so.

The rng aspect to get them should stay but the trade-able method should once and for all be done with imo.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

New precursors better be obtainable with mystic toilet too.

Ralanost.8913

New precursors better be obtainable with mystic toilet too.

They won’t be. Nor do I see why they should be.

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

yes you will be able to do you just won’t have to rely on TP, mystic toilet or a very small RNG rate to get the precursor for them

Oh thank you for the clarity and response! Sounds good, I like this!!!!

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Just be honest and say that you hate not being able to get ahead of others by spending your money.

I have never bought a pre or a legendary off the TP I have sold a few quite a few that I have gotten from the forge, but the point remains the same, if they require the same mats as the old ones people will dominate the market, if the MATs where only used for legendary’s that would be fine, but alas they are not, there are several things in game that need those MATs to craft, certain armor/weapons etc,

So from this update those people who do not care about legendary’s are going to get hammered by the TP prices for those MAT’s when they need them for the other gear they are crafting,

For me when Powerful Blood hits 1g each it will be great, but as this game is firmly designed for the causal player and not people like me who play more, they are going to get ruined by this update if they want anything nice.

I have no problem with Pre’s and Legendary’s made via the mastery system being account bound, but if it comes from a drop of forge it should be tradable.

Ralanost.8913

I have never bought a pre or a legendary off the TP I have sold a few quite a few that I have gotten from the forge, but the point remains the same, if they require the same mats as the old ones people will dominate the market, if the MATs where only used for legendary’s that would be fine, but alas they are not, there are several things in game that need those MATs to craft, certain armor/weapons etc,

So from this update those people who do not care about legendary’s are going to get hammered by the TP prices for those MAT’s when they need them for the other gear they are crafting,

For me when Powerful Blood hits 1g each it will be great, but as this game is firmly designed for the causal player and not people like me who play more, they are going to get ruined by this update if they want anything nice.

I have no problem with Pre’s and Legendary’s made via the mastery system being account bound, but if it comes from a drop of forge it should be tradable.

From what I recall the mastery line for legendary precursors cost a lot of mastery points. So not only will they have to sink all those mastery points into the crafting, but they will still have to spend the experience and then do the various objectives as well. 3 stages worth. I will be surprised if people will really dedicate all their points so quickly to making a legendary? It will block all progress they can make in Maguuma while they are doing that. I really don’t think crafting mats will be affected that much especially with them coming from events in HoT. And precursors that drop or come from the mystic toilet have already been confirmed to still work as they do now.

ZudetGambeous.9573

From what I recall the mastery line for legendary precursors cost a lot of mastery points. So not only will they have to sink all those mastery points into the crafting, but they will still have to spend the experience and then do the various objectives as well. 3 stages worth. I will be surprised if people will really dedicate all their points so quickly to making a legendary? It will block all progress they can make in Maguuma while they are doing that. I really don’t think crafting mats will be affected that much especially with them coming from events in HoT. And precursors that drop or come from the mystic toilet have already been confirmed to still work as they do now.

Whoever gets there first decides the prices of new legendary’s. They will know the mats needed for the collections before anyone else and can buy every single one of those mats off the TP. I know I will be working 24/7 to get that mastery unlocked asap otherwise you won’t have a snowballs chance in hell of being able to afford a new legendary.

Ralanost.8913

Whoever gets there first decides the prices of new legendary’s. They will know the mats needed for the collections before anyone else and can buy every single one of those mats off the TP. I know I will be working 24/7 to get that mastery unlocked asap otherwise you won’t have a snowballs chance in hell of being able to afford a new legendary.

That’s just paranoia speaking. There will be people buying mats. There will be people selling mats. It always evens out in the end.

ZudetGambeous.9573

That’s just paranoia speaking. There will be people buying mats. There will be people selling mats. It always evens out in the end.

It evens out to the price the market decides… I paid a grand total of 20g for my first light armor ascended set because I got there first and bought all the silk I needed for 8c a scrap.

If you get there early enough you beat the market and you will come out ahead. But of course most people aren’t motivated enough or would rather just complain. I’m sure there will be 100 threads about how xxx is too expensive now, even though you could have bought it much cheaper if you wanted but you chose not to.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

It evens out to the price the market decides… I paid a grand total of 20g for my first light armor ascended set because I got there first and bought all the silk I needed for 8c a scrap.

If you get there early enough you beat the market and you will come out ahead. But of course most people aren’t motivated enough or would rather just complain. I’m sure there will be 100 threads about how xxx is too expensive now, even though you could have bought it much cheaper if you wanted but you chose not to.

It might surprise you but most people play their games not to roleplay Wall Street stock exchange constantly monitoring prices on a trading post and would rather be awarded the materials by playing the game instead of the most efficient option always turning out to be the trading post.