New weapons/abilities glued to specialization

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

This is a curiosity.
I’m basing this post on information found on wiki about reaper minor adept Shroud Knight -You can equip greatswords and use reaper shouts.

Tonight I’ve been goofing around with trying to create some possible builds for HoT as a necromancer and it got me thinking….why is it that new weapons and abilities(6-10) are bonded to a specific specialization when we’ve never seen that before with any other Specialization . Obviously Wells are made more powerful through Vampiric Rituals, but you don’t need blood to use wells.

I would like to try for example shout rise as part of a MM spec, but oh w8, if I want that one single shout now I NEED to pick reaper. And if i choose reaper I say goodbye to spite or blood; the latter two being just truely awesome for many diffent kinds of combat.

So I keep coming back to a potentially awesome ability that I won’t be able to use bc I need to take an entire line that doesn’t fit as well with my play style just to do so.

I’m not sure if there truly are major balance issues if the new weapons and abilities were unlocked from their governing specializations, or if it’s just a marketing thing to get people to buy HoT.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So what you want is basically the ability to use the Elite Specializations with no downside?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

So what you want is basically the ability to use the Elite Specializations with no downside?

no. my question is why are the weapons and abilities 6-10 glued to the elite. Dagger functions on its own, regardless of whether you decide to choose blood or not. You are not locked out of using dagger if you DON’T spec into blood for example.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Because weapon and utilities are part of the Elite Specialization, while the standard weapons and utilities are tied to the profession itself.

Most likely due to balancing.
Being able to use for example Chronomancer utility skills while at the same time also being able to use the same three standard lines as people are using now would most likely lead to rather bad and unbalanced results.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Because weapon and utilities are part of the Elite Specialization, while the standard weapons and utilities are tied to the profession itself.

Most likely due to balancing.
Being able to use for example Chronomancer utility skills while at the same time also being able to use the same three standard lines as people are using now would most likely lead to rather bad and unbalanced results.

Not just this but you have to remember that Anet will give each profession multiple elite specs in the future. If skills and weapons weren’t tied to elite specs, then the skills and weapons of different elite specs could be combined. This would increase the complexity of a profession exponentially with each added elite spec.