Next xpac is announced, HOT free?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Archlvt.2036

Archlvt.2036

The title pretty much encompasses my entire question. I quit before HOT, and I don’t plan to pay for it now. The game was going in a horrible direction when they introduced the living story and changed the trait system. Willing to give the game another go when Fire comes out. Will HOT be free or will I have to buy both?

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

No, HoT isn’t free, but it’s also not required to play PoF.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

if you want to play hot yes you will have to pay for it 20 bucks and 30 bucks for pof for a total of 50 or just go for 30 on pof.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you don’t like the direction the game took just before HoT, this expac probably won’t make you happy either, since it doubles down on the new trait system, the living world stories, and nearly everything else that HoT introduced (many of the details are different, but the overarching goals, mechanics remain the same).

You can play this weekend’s demo for free and check it out. Or wait for October to see reviews.

PS the cost of PoF basic is US$30. If you bundle in HoT when you pre-purchase, it’s US$50 — that’s the same price that HoT alone cost 2 years ago, but this time, you get both HoT & PoF. (So there’s a weak argument to be made that you do get HoT included with the “full” price… but I doubt that will sway anyone on the fence about HoT in the first place.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

The title pretty much encompasses my entire question. I quit before HOT, and I don’t plan to pay for it now. The game was going in a horrible direction when they introduced the living story and changed the trait system. Willing to give the game another go when Fire comes out. Will HOT be free or will I have to buy both?

No hot is not free, so good news is you only have to buy HOT if you want it.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

You get the core game for free, but not the first expansion (HoT).

As for the living world seasons, they are actually fun, except for a couple of episodes and the increasingly bad writing.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

you can treat HoT and PoF as 2 mutually exclusive product, each with its own feature…

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

@OP
Since you weren’t here for the release of HoT, there was a big outcry because some players claimed Anet was cheating them by valuing the core game at $0 and charging $50 for HoT. This current pricing model is at least partially influenced by those events.

Posted by: Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497

Wait… you’re saying the living story and trait changes were ‘unhealthy’ for the game? You… didn’t want the game to progress… at all?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Wait… you’re saying the living story and trait changes were ‘unhealthy’ for the game? You… didn’t want the game to progress… at all?

Not going to argue about the changes themselves, because i have a …mixed feelings about the living story, but you do remember, that a change is not always a change for the better?
“progress” doesn’t mean “do any change whatsoever, regardless if it’s good or bad”.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Sifu.9745

Sifu.9745

HoT is not free … yet! But i’m sure if you can wait for 2 or 3 months HoT will be free, because otherwise Anet is going to loose a lot of players.
In World of Warcraft, for example, you only need to buy base game (you get 1 month free time that way) + last xpac. All previous expacs (5 of them) are included, so you get them for free.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

But i’m sure if you can wait for 2 or 3 months HoT will be free, because otherwise Anet is going to loose a lot of players.

HoT isn’t required like WoW’s expansions are, so they don’t actually need to give it away. They’d probably lose more players if they did, since it’s such a difference experience compared to the core game.

It may change with 3rd expansion however. Either HoT will go F2P, the $50 bundle will include all expansions, or they’ll simply continue to sell each expansion individually.

Posted by: Despond.2174

Despond.2174

Like others have said, it’s not required. It’s already been reduced in price, and in the future I am sure they will bundle it even more cheap with a 3rd xpac. Support the devs, it’s an xpac that you don’t need but if you want it it’s a very small price to pay. There’s no way it should ever be free.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

There’s no way it should ever be free.

Well, to me will depend on gw2 pof playerbase.
If HoT zones are going to be empty ( ppl won’t get achievement nor content ), maybe they will give hot free as they did for the core game.

I have no problem in giving the previous expansion as free, if required, but i also understand and agree with the “standalone expansion” concept they’ve worked on.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There’s no way it should ever be free.

Well, to me will depend on gw2 pof playerbase.
If HoT zones are going to be empty ( ppl won’t get achievement nor content ), maybe they will give hot free as they did for the core game.

I have no problem in giving the previous expansion as free, if required, but i also understand and agree with the “standalone expansion” concept they’ve worked on.

It won’t be empty. HoT is offering a different kind of content than PoF that appeals to different players. And you still need those zones to get the new legendaries.

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

HOT will probably be empty initially, but it wont not be forgotten since you need a lot of the maps for legendaries.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

And all the people that will decide they would like Gliding, or Guild Halls and/or Scribing, as well as Gen2 Legendaries.

Astralporing.1957

And all the people that will decide they would like Gliding, or Guild Halls and/or Scribing, as well as Gen2 Legendaries.

Most of them will have the gliding already (i honestly don’t expect for the next expac to bring in a lot of new players that didn’t have Hot before). There will be a new guild hall in PoF (and i assume scribing won’t be limited to Hot either – though some scribing currencies might not be easily available outside of it), i also don’t expect the number of people going after gen2 legendaries to increase significantly, unless one of the new ones will be way better visually than all we’ve got so far.

The last wave is likely going on now, while people are trying to finish achievements etc. before the next expac hits.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

HoT won’t be empty, the meta events will still happen even after PoF is released. Players are still doing world bosses in core tyria and those aren’t even required for legendary weapons nor do they have lots of achievements, with few exceptions. The meta events of HoT give a lot of loot for their completion so it’s unlikely those meta events will ever be empty.

The question will be different, if PoF maps do NOT have huge meta events, they will die when players finish their achievements and story there, then go back to HoT maps for the meta events. Which is why I find it unlikely that PoF maps won’t have meta events, but we’ll see about that. Huge open maps are good for exploration the first few times around, but do not have the long lasting value of a meta event.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Most of them will have the gliding already (i honestly don’t expect for the next expac to bring in a lot of new players that didn’t have Hot before). There will be a new guild hall in PoF (and i assume scribing won’t be limited to Hot either – though some scribing currencies might not be easily available outside of it), i also don’t expect the number of people going after gen2 legendaries to increase significantly, unless one of the new ones will be way better visually than all we’ve got so far.

The last wave is likely going on now, while people are trying to finish achievements etc. before the next expac hits.

According to the Path of Fire FAQ, it seems one will need Heart of Thorns to access Scribing, and to claim and upgrade the new Guild Hall.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010688287-Guild-Wars-2-Path-of-Fire-FAQ

There certainly seem to be a good number of posts about players, new and old, purchasing the bundle, so….I guess time will tell.

Regardless, Core maps still have players; I suspect HoT maps will, as well.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The question will be different, if PoF maps do NOT have huge meta events, they will die when players finish their achievements and story there, then go back to HoT maps for the meta events.

I wouldn’t count on seeing the bigger split-group events like HoT. That design came out of season 1, which only worked back then because the content was temporary and always active. It quickly failed in HoT once the majority left, which turned it into LFG-only content. World bosses are still popular today because people can casually show up and play. Expect to see them continue in the style of the core game as they’ve done with season 3, where it’s all balanced for single groups of 3+. The split design only guarantees that it will eventually fail, since it’s not futureproof, when they could simply avoid the problem by having multiple objectives that don’t need to be completed simultaneously.

The only viable way to do events that require larger amounts of coordinated players and appeal to the majority is by splitting them from the open world. Put them in their own instance that you actually have to queue in to, meaning it’s always active, and is automatically set up with balanced teams for the multiple objectives. Simply put, make them activities.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

It quickly failed in HoT once the majority left, which turned it into LFG-only content.

That LFG-only content is more alive than the other content in the game though. I don’t see an issue with the LFG-only content myself, it gives longevity to the maps. The LS3 maps will die long before HoT maps do.

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

Probably not,
As others have stated this isn’t required to play PoF and if Anets past is any indication, standalone expacs seem to work for them.
In the future I am sure the expacs will be bundled, but this will also depend on how successful PoF is imo

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Astralporing.1957

That LFG-only content is more alive than the other content in the game though.

Or it seems so, because all the activity is compressed into one, two instances.

Actions, not words.