Night time

Night time

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

Just a small piece of feedback, I was kind of a little disappointed in the night time element (no MMO ever does this well, they all wimp out and make it basically the same as day with 5% less lighting a few luminescent light globes and changing a couple of mobs types).

I guess I was hoping for a sense of danger, stick close to camps, be careful where you walk, terrifying enemies chasing you back to the safety of your camp fires.

I’m not sure what the specific answer is but I’d go with less light and more dangerous creatures for starters.

In some respects the camps should almost be safe spots rather than the farming centres they become during the night. I would not have had the mobs invade the camp I would have had the supplies being necessary to keep the camp safe during the night which means you need to fearfully exit the camp to secure supplies as the central fire burns lower and lower.

The danger is away from the camp, not in it. Pretty much a reverse of the current camp dynamic. If we can’t manage that then at least make it darker and harsher at night.

Night time

Posted by: Dest.7410

Dest.7410

Bump for good idea on night time events. Would love a sort of a keep-the-fire-burning or similar event. And indeed, at the moment it feels safer to stay at an abandoned place during night (or early evening light-wise :P )

Night time

Posted by: Doni.3402

Doni.3402

sounds very good Mian
I like your ideas

Night time

Posted by: ibiris.8674

ibiris.8674

What sort of cycle is the day/night environment on? Is it linked to a real life time zone, or is the cycle sped up (a la GTA5)?

Rob

Night time

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

I read on a different post about this same topic that the night time events and such were not ready, or not in this version of the beta this weekend.

Night time

Posted by: brently.7946

brently.7946

What sort of cycle is the day/night environment on? Is it linked to a real life time zone, or is the cycle sped up (a la GTA5)?

It is not true to life. Night time is kitten min long (there’s a timer). Day time does not have a timer but it seems about the same, maybe slightly longer.

+1 to the idea of less lighting and more danger outside of camps at night time. I always loved horror games and wished they would add more of a horror element into gw2. Obviously not extremely scary because they have to consider people that can’t handle that, but a little would be nice.

Night time

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

It’s not a horror survival game though but darker nights could be a good thing.

Night time

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I agree, the night doesn’t feel very frightening. Also it’s – like all other maps – far too bright. It’s night after all… make it darker.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Night time

Posted by: Reinate.7594

Reinate.7594

i was hoping for something akin to Pitch black … all those Mordrem rampaging around in the dark and the only thing that offers protecting is the campfire lights.
fending off increasingly difficult waves as the darkness closes in and our light starts to falter.