No EXP Once Masteries Are Capped

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Rentapest.6503

Rentapest.6503

If a player does not have Heart of Throns, upon reaching level 80, they continue to level over and over but are awarded spirit shards.

However, if a player has Heart of Thorns, upon reaching level 80, they get to chose a mastery to level. Once you have leveled all the available masteries, your experience bar sits at 0/0 exp. You see yellow text saying you’ve earned x-amount of experience, but it goes nowhere and we do not get spirit shards!

So, the only way for a HoT player to gain spirit shards, is from the dailies. And maybe very rarely bags or looting them.

My question is, why are HoT players effectively punished?! Our experience bar should revert to ‘normal’ so we too can gain experience and spirit shards!

Personally, I use my shards a lot for crafting. Both ascended items, legendaries and whatever other skins I want to make. I’m quite frustrated that I’m gaining experience, and it’s going to complete waste!

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

If a player does not have Heart of Throns, upon reaching level 80, they continue to level over and over but are awarded spirit shards.

No, they don’t. That functionality was removed back in April, to prepare for the introduction of the Mastery System.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

No, they don’t. That functionality was removed back in April, to prepare for the introduction of the Mastery System.

That said, it would still be good if the game offered us something for the XP gained after maxing masteries.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Faab.8049

Faab.8049

That said, it would still be good if the game offered us something for the XP gained after maxing masteries.

Why should it? I mean, I understand your point, but consider why you expect XP to gain you something?
Traditionally, Exp is provided as a currency to improve the character as they play along. This is normally done in the form of levels. Once you hit max level, there is really no reason to further gain anything from Exp. You have already maxed out what you can learn.
Masteries provide what A-net calls horizontal levels, which is basically a similar Exp sinks as additional levels is. Once you hit max level, there is really nothing to be further learned. Exp gain is hard linked to level progression, so once that requirement falls way, there is no reason to be rewarded for it anymore.

The only way you can gain exp is by playing the game, and while playing the game you recieve rewards (loot, currency etc). That is the rewards you can expect.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why should it? I mean, I understand your point, but consider why you expect XP to gain you something?

I don’t expect it to, I want it to. For two main reasons:

• This game always used to offer some reward for gaining XP after L80.
  • Nearly everything in the game offers XP (and XP boosters) and it feels as if value is being wasted when that XP has no use past a certain point.

I also feel the same way about other currencies, including luck (which is nearly valueless for those who maxed MF).

ANet has consistently found ways to turn otherwise no-value rewards into low-value rewards, including the Herta & Mawdrey II (bloodstone dust eaters), Star of Gratitude (empyreal eater), Princess (dragonite eater), spirit shards (leveling tome alternative), and so on.

tl;dr it would be good if the game offered us something for XP past L80.

Faab.8049

Oh don’t get me wrong, I agree that Exp gain after max level should lead to reward in some way. Now it is a reward that is wasted on max level.
Or put it another way, Non-Maxed chars recieve Exp as a reward for events. Maxed chars dont, and so recieve less of a reward than non-max chars do for the same event.
A-Net could do a EXP to Karma conversion for Max Levels, as an example, to boost the ’ loss’ Exp gain.

What I meant is that the established ‘use’ of Experience in most games is for level progression, so after reaching max level the experience is a worthless currency.
GW2 specifically has indeed granted rewards for repeatingly gaining levels (skill points first, then spirit shards, and now nothing). I expect that A-Net reasoning went along that line, that Exp is just a leveling currency and is worthless once you reach max level.

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

according to them, what will happen is the introduction of new lines of masteries.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What I meant is that the established ‘use’ of Experience in most games is for level progression,

I get that “in most games” it’s different. I don’t see how that matters for GW2, especially since in GW2 it only started mattering recently (and, as I mentioned, ANet has gone out of its way to offer tiny rewards for excess in other currencies).

ANet has been very good about ignoring established conventions that don’t make much sense. A lot of them, such as “excess XP” are carry overs from when role playing was done with pen & paper. I think the important benchmark should be: is it good for gameplay, for maintaining a happy & loyal customer base, and are the implementation/maintenance costs a good value — not whether it’s what other games have done in the past.

That said, it’s not at the top of my list of things I wish ANet would change soon — gliding being extended to core Tyria, for example, was a much better (if unexpected) feature to work on.

Posted by: keenedge.9675

keenedge.9675

Gliding in Tyria, while fun, is really of no use other than promoting HoT to the F2P masses.

“John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Gliding in Tyria, while fun, is really of no use other than promoting HoT to the F2P masses.

And preventing deaths from jumping off stuff and forgetting you can’t glide.

Posted by: ShadowCatz.8437

ShadowCatz.8437

There will be plenty of complaints from ppl only trying to make a jump (press space bar) and suddenly will be gliding when not expected in places like JP when one only wants to just get from one elevation to another or open ground. That did happen to me in HoT when I only wanted to get up on a root for a Vista and suddenly I was gliding away which made me gliding down to my death… :-(

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There will be plenty of complaints from ppl only trying to make a jump (press space bar) and suddenly will be gliding when not expected in places like JP when one only wants to just get from one elevation to another or open ground. That did happen to me in HoT when I only wanted to get up on a root for a Vista and suddenly I was gliding away which made me gliding down to my death… :-(

That’s probably true, though I haven’t personally experienced that, but I have jumped to my death a couple of times.

Faab.8049

AH, yeah the jump to glide error.
Its a mixed belssing and a curse.

When you are on a laggy connection, pressing, and keeping the jump key pressed, will ensure that the glider deploys at the apex of the jump. Otherwise you dont deploy and have to reset.
On the other hand, when doing a difficult jump, you want to be sure that the moment of jumping is not missed due to lag, so you keep it pressed and that it registers properly.
Resulting in a failed jump…

Posted by: xlion.3065

xlion.3065

I’m predicting the “Zero Glider” skin for 700 gems. A must have for the JP enthusiast once gliding hits core Tyria.?

(edited by xlion.3065)

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I’m predicting the “Zero Glider” skin for 700 gems. A must have for the JP enthusiast once gliding hits core Tyria.?

They’ve already stated Jumping Puzzles will have a strict No Fly Zone. So you probably shouldnt expect this to be an issue.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

So? You ever saw an rpg with still nets xp after capping out? I don’t.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Wonder why we have all these threads about this now. This change has been in effect for a while now. Since well before HoT, and skillpoint scrolls were replaced with spirit shards. Every time we leveled up for almost a month or more we got nothing from it, not saying that was right, just saying it seems a little late to worry about this now.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

xlion.3065

They’ve already stated Jumping Puzzles will have a strict No Fly Zone. So you probably shouldnt expect this to be an issue.

Not quite. Quoting from the blog post:

These zones have been set up around sensitive areas like the ends of jumping puzzles to prevent skipping content

So there should be room to mess up earlier by accidentally deploying your glider.

xlion.3065

So? You ever saw an rpg with still nets xp after capping out? I don’t.

GW1: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Skill_point
GW2: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skill_point

xlion.3065

Wonder why we have all these threads about this now. This change has been in effect for a while now. Since well before HoT, and skillpoint scrolls were replaced with spirit shards. Every time we leveled up for almost a month or more we got nothing from it, not saying that was right, just saying it seems a little late to worry about this now.

With more and more players maxing out the current masteries this becomes an issue again.
In expectation of new masteries added to the game you might want to consider at some point to no longer play level 80 alts which do not have map completion.

Posted by: softblackcarbon.1537

softblackcarbon.1537

Just so ya’ll know, the experience you’re earning isn’t going nowhere. It’s being banked and can be used for completion of future mastery lines when they are introduced. Players who had maxed all of their HoT masteries before the addition of the raid had their Forsaken Thicket mastery instantly maxed after their first VG kill and were able to train those right away given they had the mastery points.

While I agree, it would be nice to be gaining spirit shards, at least it isn’t completely going to nothing.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Just so ya’ll know, the experience you’re earning isn’t going nowhere. It’s being banked and can be used for completion of future mastery lines when they are introduced. Players who had maxed all of their HoT masteries before the addition of the raid had their Forsaken Thicket mastery instantly maxed after their first VG kill and were able to train those right away given they had the mastery points.

While I agree, it would be nice to be gaining spirit shards, at least it isn’t completely going to nothing.

Incorrect, that forsaken thicket XP came from killing VG itself. Your XP is not “banked”.

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

I have reached the point of maxing out the Core Tyria masteries today and would really like to see some sort of mechanic that allows me use XP I gain in the “off-HoT” maps now.

e.g.
>> Extra Tomes of Knowledge (that at least can be used for Spirit Shards)
>> Extra Transmutation charges (no encourage more changing of skins for those that does not get plenty from PvP tracks)
>> Some sort of account bound consumable that adds a reduced number of XP points (1/4 conversion perhaps) to HoT mastery tracks. Playing HoT maps would still be way better than farming XP in core Tyria, but it would help out a bit for those last two tier that require millions of XP to complete.
>> Some sort of account bound consumable that allows you to change soul bound WvW Proofs to account bound versions to make leveling elite specializations on alts easier (Would also encourage PvE players to go and populate the WvW maps these days)

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)