No exp, no loot, no point

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

This is my only serious complaint about HoT to date. The Silverwastes was bad enough with mobs offering no loot – now event mobs don’t even give experience. Don’t offer charges of ‘on kill’ sigils. Don’t increase the stack of my killstreak boosters. Oh, and when i get sick of mindlessly killing things for no reward, The event greys out and i don’t get anything for my time sunk.

This makes events feel like a trap you have to avoid falling into, and that is simply terrible design.

Posted by: Entromorph.8607

Entromorph.8607

Getting xp for killing mobs has always been subpar.

Also, no loot? Play more, put effort in, get better loot bags. What’s the issue with loot?

Narrrz.7532

Also, no loot? Play more, put effort in, get better loot bags. What’s the issue with loot?

The issue is that event mobs don’t drop them, or only mobs spawned by certain events drop them. There’s little reason to put in more than the bare minimum effort to ensure an event completes if you’re getting no loot or exp (which has now become just another kind of loot). Better yet, you can just go find an event which gives you spawns that will progress you towards your mastery & offer a chance at drops as well.

One of the main reasons people play games of this kind is for the rewards, and while the map rewards are a nice bonus they are not enough in and of themselves to replace loot from enemies.

Posted by: illustriouz.2594

illustriouz.2594

Also, no loot? Grind more, put grind in, get better grind bags. what’s the issue with grinds?

FIFY

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Im getting loot left and right out in Verdant brinks….i dont even open chest boxes often and im having to empty my 135 slot inventory at the end of night event >.>

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Narrrz.7532

Im getting loot left and right out in Verdant brinks….i dont even open chest boxes often and im having to empty my 135 slot inventory at the end of night event >.>

Verdant brink isn’t nearly so bad. AB & TD are a lot worse, and i think dragonstand is a culprit as well.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Verdant brink isn’t nearly such a culprit. AB & TD are a lot worse, and i think dragonstand is a culprit as well.

Aww, that could be it then, i havent left verdant brink because i havent gotten my bladed coat piece!

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Narrrz.7532

The most agitating thing is, it’s not consistent, even within an event. The final event for the nuhoch lane in tangled depths spawns in a bunch of mobs when the chak boss burrows, which all give exp, but when it unburrows it starts spawning more mobs, which don’t offer exp.

If you don’t want people to exploit these events for farming, make the spawns tied to the boss’s health, or make scaling spawn harder rather than simply more enemies.

Posted by: Divine Flavor.2016

Divine Flavor.2016

I don’t really get the point of loot drops at this stage, anyway – this is supposed to be a continuation for level 80 characters, and at this point, most people probably already have exotic or ascended gear. What do you want to do with a greenie, besides sell it on AH for pennies, or salvage it?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I don’t really get the point of loot drops at this stage, anyway – this is supposed to be a continuation for level 80 characters, and at this point, most people probably already have exotic or ascended gear. What do you want to do with a greenie, besides sell it on AH for pennies, or salvage it?

Even level 80 characters want loot and crafting items for projects. There’s more than just getting ascended gear for 80s.

Posted by: emanueldst.8049

emanueldst.8049

it sucks , there are so many mobs that dont give exp or loot , it just doesnt make any sense

Celtic Lady.3729

it sucks , there are so many mobs that dont give exp or loot , it just doesnt make any sense

I don’t understand the point of the lack of XP, other than to artificially slow down mastery acquisition, but the controlled looting in this game is something they do because of their economy.

I play several MMOs and this one gives the least in overall loot of all of them. Just the way it is.

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

This may come as a complete surprise to you but some classes are absolutely inferior at tagging and AoE damage.

Narrrz.7532

This may come as a complete surprise to you but some classes are absolutely inferior at tagging and AoE damage.

yeah, i remember trying to get key fragments on marionettte as a mesmer… that was distinctly sub-par.

I don’t understand the point of the lack of XP, other than to artificially slow down mastery acquisition, but the controlled looting in this game is something they do because of their economy.

I play several MMOs and this one gives the least in overall loot of all of them. Just the way it is.

I understand the reasoning, and agree with the purpose, but criticise the implementation.

By all means skew drop chances on highly-scaled swarms of event spawns so that the amount of gold & materials entering the economy are balanced, but if you take them away entirely you simply drive players away from the unrewarding content towards the more rewarding stuff.

plus, especially in this game, if it doesn’t pop up yellow exp numbers and doesn’t give loot or a stack of my on-kill sigil, it actually doesn’t feel like i’ve killed an enemy at all. Totally unfulfilling.

Posted by: Canakun.8031

Canakun.8031

This is my only serious complaint about HoT to date. The Silverwastes was bad enough with mobs offering no loot – now event mobs don’t even give experience. Don’t offer charges of ‘on kill’ sigils. Don’t increase the stack of my killstreak boosters. Oh, and when i get sick of mindlessly killing things for no reward, The event greys out and i don’t get anything for my time sunk.

This makes events feel like a trap you have to avoid falling into, and that is simply terrible design.

?
i get exp from every mob in the expansion, as well as events.

i’m not too sure what you’re saying? sorry

Mamorou Itou Defense Club.
Protect him at all costs.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Frankly, I haven’t noticed mobs that don’t give XP or loot but I can think of a reason they wouldn’t. You get enough of both through the completion of the events those mobs are in. I don’t really get the complaint .. what does it matter if the XP and loot come from the event or the mobs in them?

Narrrz.7532

Frankly, I haven’t noticed mobs that don’t give XP or loot but I can think of a reason they wouldn’t. You get enough of both through the completion of the events those mobs are in. I don’t really get the complaint .. what does it matter if the XP and loot come from the event or the mobs in them?

If it were more like the silverwastes, then yeah, i could accept it as a substitute.

The problems are:
-Events do not individually provide rewards, except in specific cases – bosses etc
-Magic find has no effect on loot other than mob drops (R.I.P. that entire system of salvaging your loot for account bound magic find chance increase)
-The birthday booster & item have no effect on anything besides mob kills; Heroic/New Exp booster are only partially effective; The old boosters similarly don’t work at all

The only loot comes from the mapwide meta progression, which is intermittent, insufficient, &only loosely tied to your own contribution, in that you can get your participation up entirely by doing events which do not contribute to it in any way.

Whatsmore, it encourages laziness/minimal input. If you stumble across an event being done by 3 or 4 players already, all you need do is the minimum to assure you get credit and a bonus to participation. Silverwastes suffered from the same thing, with afkers who would just tag the events and then let others complete them. The current afk system is badly broken and doesn’t combat this at all.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Am I missing something here? Are you making real-world money off of loot? Cause if not, why does it kittening matter? You play games to kill time. You play games to have fun. Loot and exp are just bits on a server. What’s the big kittening deal? Why are you turning this into an optimization problem?

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Celtic Lady.3729

For argument’s sake, what would be wrong with receiving loot and XP from both the individual mobs killed and for a reward at the end of completing a given event successfully?

Narrrz.7532

Am I missing something here? Are you making real-world money off of loot? Cause if not, why does it kittening matter? You play games to kill time. You play games to have fun. Loot and exp are just bits on a server. What’s the big kittening deal? Why are you turning this into an optimization problem?

Are you serious? The primary reason to play games like these are the in-game rewards. Very few people play soley for the experience, and they are much more likely to quit after the first few times through.

The loot is what keeps people coming back.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I noticed this yesterday too and it does suck. I think there are various reasons for this tbh.

Cause 1: Players on forums moan they only get “junk” blue and green drops all the time from mobs/chests.

Effect: Anet says to themselves “so they don’t appreciate the loot we give them. Lets give them events where mobs drop no items so when they do get greens/blues in other areas of the game they will appreciate them more!”

Cause 2: Back in the day some players moaned that greedy players were using Magic Find gear to get better drops and this was having negative effects for other players who played with them because they were doing less damage. So what did Anet do? They finally removed Magic Find from gear. The result? Since players could not use gear for better chances at getting more/better loot they looked at what else they could do to replicate this. Enter the Berserker Meta. Obviously if you are killing things faster you are increasing your drop chances/loot gained.

Cause 3: Before HOT is released players post on the forums that they are concerned new HOT maps will take people away from other maps because the loot will be better/more enticing. Thus players who do not have HOT and who are still in these maps will find it harder to do events and earn rewards, especially Silverwastes which is still pretty well much a new area to the game.

Personally I think drops in this game have always sucked to a degree. You can kill mobs and get nothing. You can go 5+ mobs like this and get nothing. Sure it might not be much of a problem if you are in zerkers gear and killing mobs at a decent rate. But for those of us who never went for that meta and went for something with more survivability we suffer because of the slower kills. I can understand why they implemented this system too. 1 to fight bots and 2 they probably figured people will kill things in groups thus no need for everything to have a drop because a group can kill things dang well fast and have lots of loot from all the mobs dropping.

Add to that they want you to do events rather than just going around and killing things mindlessly or farming certain areas for long periods of time. Again I can understand this but it just sucks when you are trying to get somewhere and there are annoying mobs in your way all the time and so you kill them to be done with it and then get no reward for your time.

I am now also going to compare this game to another game that I came here from for the drop/loot systems. Just so you get an idea how having good drops can improve on gameplay. Namely Runescape, yes it is not a AAA game or a very great one for that MMO epic feeling. Yet it does FAR better than this game for the drop/loot system. Now in that game you truly have to “grind” for your levels. You do this by killing mobs non stop for hours on end and the best method is usually choosing a mob type and staying in their zone and killing for very long periods of time. This may sound boring and well, it pretty much is. However because of the drop rate you notice it far less. Simply because you get a drop EVERY kill. Yes the vast majority of the drops are junk such as gold coins which could be worth anything to the value of 2 copper up to 2k copper. If not that you may get herbs to make potions or other craft mats. Only certain creatures actually drop weapons or armours and those that do are usually rare and require a certain lvl or other some such to be able to even fight the creature. The coins do add up and you feel like you are progressing in the end because of this. Also since you are getting a drop every kill and the pool of items is pretty vast it feels like you are opening up a birthday or xmas gift each time as you just never know what will pop out. So again this adds to the fun of the killing and takes your mind off the mindless grindy boring combat system.

I feel the loot/drop system in this game seriously needs to be looked at and changed. Gives us a drop EVERY time. Make it a crappy 2 -100 copper if you must. That’s fine, I don’t care it’s a low amount because it is at least SOMETHING. Remove weps/armours from drops, make them exclusive to crafting or rare creature drops. Replace the weps/armour drops with something else. Heck more leather/cloth/loot bag drops would be more appreciated I am sure.

Ok, rant over. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Faab.8049

Faab.8049

Agreed on this. Gaming is entertainment, killing time, having a good time etc.
Sure, loot is a reward for the time invested, but just compare it to the loot you get from an FPS, or a puzzle game, or racing sim.

Paulytnz.7619

Agreed on this. Gaming is entertainment, killing time, having a good time etc.
Sure, loot is a reward for the time invested, but just compare it to the loot you get from an FPS, or a puzzle game, or racing sim.

I have to counter this by saying times you are not killing mobs for the fun of it. It may be they are in your way or are a slight danger to you. So taking your “time” in the game which you would rather spend on doing something more “fun” to deal with this threat and then getting no loot reward for it can leave you with a sour feeling in your mouth.

Loot comes part and parcel with these types of games, you can’t compare them to FPS, puzzle games or racing sims. In a FPS usually you are playing online/multiplayer and the reward is your skill is better than the other player by taking them down. For racing the same thing and puzzle games its about getting a higher score.

Summary – loot can add fun to the game because it rewards players for taking the time to kill things instead of just running through (which is another part of the problem here). It is also a great way to earn wealth in a game which is NOT a bad thing. People like to do things in games they can’t so easily do in real life and making vast fortunes in game is one of the big things in that regard.

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

It has been proven that if you give loot from mobs in events people prolong event to farm the mobs or fail events to have them reoccur. This would be the same for xp since they are tied to masteries look at cof farm.

We abuse the system and anet tries to find ways to limit those abuses. and cof isn’t ban-able I’m sure anet will take steps to limit this kind of stuff in the future and why we don’t get loot or xp during events.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

Celtic Lady.3729

It is also a great way to earn wealth in a game which is NOT a bad thing. People like to do things in games they can’t so easily do in real life and making vast fortunes in game is one of the big things in that regard.

Players also like to use the wealth earned in games to buy in-game items that they can’t otherwise get or would take a really long time to farm, thus adding to the enjoyment of playing the game in general. And no, that isn’t a bad thing.

Paulytnz.7619

It has been proven that if you give loot from mobs in events people prolong event to farm the mobs or fail events to have them reoccur. This would be the same for xp since they are tied to masteries look at cof farm.

We abuse the system and anet tries to find ways to limit those abuses. and cof isn’t ban-able I’m sure anet will take steps to limit this kind of stuff in the future and why we don’t get loot or xp during events.

Well this is understandable but I am sure they can think up better ways to combat this. Another thing all this is doing is taking value away from our Magic Find levels that we are all building up by sacrificing some of our loot that we could sell instead. Not to mention boosters and other rewards such as from the Birthday gifts etc. They try to fix one thing but in the process break 2 other things, it seems to be coming a trend here…and hey I am usually one of the “fanboys” some would say so that says something….

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I’m getting too much loot. After a meta event it takes me like 10 minutes to open 5 inventories worth of random bags while talking to a merchant. I’m not complaining, but holy cow does a lot of stuff drop.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

From what I have seen, the events where enemies don’t give XP is on purpose to prevent endless farming. Just look at what happened with the mushroom farm and then the skelk farm.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

Best place for exp and loot while doing events is still Cursed Shore and it’s events that can give up to 50-60k exp. Too bad it gives Tyria points.

(edited by Lévis.5489)

Narrrz.7532

From what I have seen, the events where enemies don’t give XP is on purpose to prevent endless farming. Just look at what happened with the mushroom farm and then the skelk farm.

They have fixed these events in the laziest way possible, and surprise, this has created the problem that now instead of the events being worth infinitely prolonging, the events aren’t worth doing at all

There is a happy medium here where you allow the mobs to offer rewards but simply prevent it getting out of hand.

And since you cannot fail most of the events in the new zones, intentional failing is unlikely to ever become an issue.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

I’m wondering if this is intentional for the moment to increase the focus on Halloween?It would also be abused I guess in regards to XP. People would just farm the most efficient area ad nauseum. Be a bad look to release an expac and just have everyone farming one area/event I guess?

I agree it also seems kind of kitten loot wise.On the flipside it’s nice to not have to play Inventory Wars 2 for a change, one of my biggest gripes with core.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

Verdant brink isn’t nearly so bad. AB & TD are a lot worse, and i think dragonstand is a culprit as well.

dunno how tangled depths or dragon stand but while sitting at auric basin I need to clear out from loads of loot at least twice a meta-cycle….

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

oh wow now people are acting like loot doesn’t matter in a rpg…

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Psychology 101 If you dont have a reason to do something you wont do it, loot and XP are 2 big reasons to do events . Sure an event can be fun the first few times you do it but past that if there’s no incentive why do it ? That’s why a lot of games use Skinner boxes because it keeps the player engaged long past the point at which the fun has been sucked out of it.

Posted by: ChrizZcE.5981

ChrizZcE.5981

I completely agree OP.

There are no rewards for doing anything in the game. You only get rewards by spending real money on the gem store.

You do however get showered with tons of worthless loot. It´s Anets sleazy way to get you to buy another bag slot with real money.

Posted by: Faab.8049

Faab.8049

Summary – loot can add fun to the game because it rewards players for taking the time to kill things instead of just running through (which is another part of the problem here). It is also a great way to earn wealth in a game which is NOT a bad thing. People like to do things in games they can’t so easily do in real life and making vast fortunes in game is one of the big things in that regard.

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer. I realize, and appreciate, that loot forms a part of the game experience. The chance to get someting rare.

My response was maily aimed at the ‘No loot, no point’ comment from the OP. The way it comes acros is that he/she has not other reason to play than to get loot.
By comparison, other game types offer no loot but instead offer the ‘reward’ in a different format. RPG’s have always had rare gear as part of their reward system, but to me it is just a nice side thing. It’s the sense of achievement (Personal Skill challenge, Achievement Point) that I find rewarding as well.

And no, I dont enjoy killing mobs for the sake of killing them. I enjoy doing the events (meta chains) and the gameplay challenge that comes with it (Wyvern Patriarch for example).

Posted by: TheydonBois.9208

TheydonBois.9208

Agree wiith OP – protected the Exalted to 5 mirrors, fought all the creatures, and got 5 Aurulium and xp from completing, but no rewards from the mobs at all.

The next event was protecting him look through ruins, then a massive fight with a Modrem Legendary, and got nothing but a completion with 10?15? Aurilium – and this may have come randomly mid way through due to participation.

Hours spent in an area building up the reputaion and tiers for little xp and little reward will not entice people to do the wonderful events littered around.

Posted by: CrimsonDX.4821

CrimsonDX.4821

I think I prefer this method since it puts less focus on trying to tag as many mobs as possible. Makes events a lot less stressful imo.

Ayrilana.1396

They have fixed these events in the laziest way possible, and surprise, this has created the problem that now instead of the events being worth infinitely prolonging, the events aren’t worth doing at all

There is a happy medium here where you allow the mobs to offer rewards but simply prevent it getting out of hand.

And since you cannot fail most of the events in the new zones, intentional failing is unlikely to ever become an issue.

Lazy way of fixing? Really? I see people that keep saying that as if they could do better. So how would you fix it to prevent people exploiting the event while maintaining its challenge? If you can’t think of a good way then you really have no reason to call it lazy.

Narrrz.7532

Scale mob difficulty rather than numbers. lower individual mob XP/bias the loot table towards lower value drops. Cap out total spawn numbers.
I’m sure there are other ways which would achieve the same aim without causing (as much) player dissatisfaction. I honestly can’t think of a worse way they could have implemented it.

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer. I realize, and appreciate, that loot forms a part of the game experience. The chance to get someting rare.

My response was maily aimed at the ‘No loot, no point’ comment from the OP. The way it comes acros is that he/she has not other reason to play than to get loot.
By comparison, other game types offer no loot but instead offer the ‘reward’ in a different format. RPG’s have always had rare gear as part of their reward system, but to me it is just a nice side thing. It’s the sense of achievement (Personal Skill challenge, Achievement Point) that I find rewarding as well.

And no, I dont enjoy killing mobs for the sake of killing them. I enjoy doing the events (meta chains) and the gameplay challenge that comes with it (Wyvern Patriarch for example).

While i agree that loot cannot compensate for a lack of gameplay, it allows gameplay to continue to be engaging past the point where you have gotten bored of the challenge. How many times did you run breach or vinewrath before it stopped being engaging to you? If you don’t have any strong interewt in the rewards, i daresay it wasn’t all that many.

I don’t want to say that loot is my main or only reason for playing but i feel that if it wasn’t for the rewards, i would have moved on from GW2 some time ago (and wouldn’t expect HoT to entertain me much beyond this month)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Don’t offer charges of ‘on kill’ sigils.

This one bothers me.

Content that artificially renders purchased gear ineffective is poor design.

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

If Anet makes an event that spawns unlimited enemies until x objective is reached, they should make mobs stop giving xp and loot after a certain point is reached instead of not giving it at all. My biggest problem with giving no loot or xp for event mobs is that half the people just stand around and do nothing inside the blue circle while the other half kills mobs. Also, getting xp in the new zones is not easy. In SW, you had opportunities to help out at multiple towers and escort dolyaks for xp. In the new zones you are pretty much stuck in one meta event train and too bad for you if the game crashes when you are almost finished.

Osu

Ayrilana.1396

If Anet makes an event that spawns unlimited enemies until x objective is reached, they should make mobs stop giving xp and loot after a certain point is reached instead of not giving it at all. My biggest problem with giving no loot or xp for event mobs is that half the people just stand around and do nothing inside the blue circle while the other half kills mobs. Also, getting xp in the new zones is not easy. In SW, you had opportunities to help out at multiple towers and escort dolyaks for xp. In the new zones you are pretty much stuck in one meta event train and too bad for you if the game crashes when you are almost finished.

Getting XP in HoT is very easy. With full boosts, you can get up to 1.5M-2M XP/hr.

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

Wow same post on a different thread. At least your consistent… in missing the point.

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

no loot for events is very deliberate

Orr tagging was diseased gameplay, and it is inevitable in any event where you get loot for directly killing spawned event mobs no matter how you configure it. It also rewards killzerker builds over sustainable builds.

The idea is that player should be rewarded for contributing, NOT rewarded for playing suboptimally just so they tag more enemies

Narrrz.7532

no loot for events is very deliberate

Orr tagging was diseased gameplay, and it is inevitable in any event where you get loot for directly killing spawned event mobs no matter how you configure it. It also rewards killzerker builds over sustainable builds.

The idea is that player should be rewarded for contributing, NOT rewarded for playing suboptimally just so they tag more enemies

That’s very arguably an issue with the system for deciding whether or not a player is awarded loot. While i definitely agree with you, i don’t feel the solution to the problem, “these players/this build gets all the loot” is to make nobody get any loot

Paulytnz.7619

What they could do is as an event scales up the loot rewards scale down to compensate for the fact that a lot more mobs are spawning and are possible for you to tag. This could help break up the Zerg mentality/meta as well somewhat.

But seriously they need to look at the drops for when you are out and about soloing map completes etc. It gets old fast when you kill something and get nothing for your effort. Especially as I said before if you are in non zerker gear and those kills come much slower.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

For argument’s sake, what would be wrong with receiving loot and XP from both the individual mobs killed and for a reward at the end of completing a given event successfully?

Nothing. But I don’t see the OP’s issue that even though you get XP and loot form the event, you don’t always get from mobs. To me that’s semantics.

Narrrz.7532

Nothing. But I don’t see the OP’s issue that even though you get XP and loot form the event, you don’t always get from mobs. To me that’s semantics.

It’s pretty simple. I get maybe 20k exp from an event – sometimes more, sometimes less. That event probably took me 10+ minutes to complete.

How many mobs can you kill in 10 minutes? with just a few small boosts active, i can easily get about 1k a mob, and probably make a handful of silver as well. Even at a fairly conservative kill rate, i’d pretty easily outstrip that 20k from the event and have some loot to show for it as well.

And then, just for kicks, lets tag the event at the very end of that 10min. Maybe i can’t get gold contribution, but i at least get bronze and i bet i could get silver for probably 15k exp.

So… what’s the incentive to actually stick with the event?

Ayrilana.1396

It’s pretty simple. I get maybe 20k exp from an event – sometimes more, sometimes less. That event probably took me 10+ minutes to complete.

How many mobs can you kill in 10 minutes? with just a few small boosts active, i can easily get about 1k a mob, and probably make a handful of silver as well. Even at a fairly conservative kill rate, i’d pretty easily outstrip that 20k from the event and have some loot to show for it as well.

And then, just for kicks, lets tag the event at the very end of that 10min. Maybe i can’t get gold contribution, but i at least get bronze and i bet i could get silver for probably 15k exp.

So… what’s the incentive to actually stick with the event?

For the mobs that spawn during the event