No expansion - disadvantage?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Rofo.4782

Rofo.4782

Hey, just a quick question.

How much of a disadvantage I’ll be when playing without expansion?
I know HoT have some new things like specializations etc.
Can I play base game without being inferior to players who bought the expansion, it’s possible that I’ll buy it in some time because right now I’m a bit short on money.

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

Short answer: yes, youre in disadvantage, mostly in PvP and WvW (because of elite specs). Though you can enjoy most of PvE content (exept raids) without HoT. In PvE HoT gives some quality of life and build diversity, but core game is still playable and enjoyable.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Yes, the elite specializations are in practice stronger. There are also some stats that are not accessible.

That being said, the degree of disadvantage really depends on what you want to do. It’s significantly worse in any Player vs player content. There are also certain classes that will do better without the expansion as well depending on what you play. On the other hand, Open World is more or less the same.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you’re short on cash, don’t worry about buying the expansion. Wait to find it for an extreme discount.

• For PvE, you can go entirely without HoT to enjoy the core content.
  • In PvE PvP & WvW, you’ll have to work harder to remain competitive. Limiting yourself to a subset of builds is always more difficult, regardless of the reasons.

The main things that you’ll miss out in PvE on won’t prevent you from participating & enjoying the game. To a certain extent, you won’t miss what you haven’t experienced yet.

edit: thanks to zealex for catching my typo

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

If you’re short on cash, don’t worry about buying the expansion. Wait to find it for an extreme discount.

• For PvE, you can go entirely without HoT to enjoy the core content.
  • In PvE & WvW, you’ll have to work harder to remain competitive. Limiting yourself to a subset of builds is always more difficult, regardless of the reasons.

The main things that you’ll miss out in PvE on won’t prevent you from participating & enjoying the game. To a certain extent, you won’t miss what you haven’t experienced yet.

second bullet point you must mean PvP & WvW

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

second bullet point you must mean PvP & WvW

Indeed. Thanks — I’ll fix it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Hey, just a quick question.

How much of a disadvantage I’ll be when playing without expansion?
I know HoT have some new things like specializations etc.
Can I play base game without being inferior to players who bought the expansion, it’s possible that I’ll buy it in some time because right now I’m a bit short on money.

Do NOT buy the game without HoT. Play for free until there is a discount on HoT if you must. Buying HoT after buying the base (paid version) of the game doesn’t offer any descount.

I know Anet doesn’t sell the base game alone anymore, but there are still some retail stores offering the non-HoT base, hence the advise.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

People always say a harder timein PvP but it is relative, core classes can still compete though it is dependant on your willingness to learn every class and play to your class strengths in a huge way.
Base Necromancers are still contenders (and in some instances are actually preferable) as an example.

PvE? You have all of core Tyria to play in and it will be enjoyable. HoT brings a few maps and some QoL improvements but the base game is a lot of fun without it.

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

People always say a harder timein PvP but it is relative, core classes can still compete though it is dependant on your willingness to learn every class and play to your class strengths in a huge way.
Base Necromancers are still contenders (and in some instances are actually preferable) as an example.

PvE? You have all of core Tyria to play in and it will be enjoyable. HoT brings a few maps and some QoL improvements but the base game is a lot of fun without it.

LOL what?

No HOT specs are far better then core specs in PvP and WvW.

Players who play core builds in PvP can get away with is if they are the exception like Crysis for instance.

Or because Match Making is so broken you have silver players vs plat players ( which there are pics in the PvP forum to show that) which allows some lucky players to run core crap builds like signet ele.

Or better yet using a season like S2 which stacked similar MMR players on the same team vs other players in the same pip range. This was great for having ESL players vs completely new players.

Yeah in those cases please core build your way up otherwise no HOT specs for PvP and WvW are a must if you want to be competitive.