No more living story?

No more living story?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The only reason I was ok with paying $50 for the extremely limited content of HoT was because I was repeatedly told that I would get all the future LS episodes that continued the story for free.

Now they are announcing that there will be no more LS and they are just sticking to expansions and occasional balance updates?!?!?

I don’t consider this very honest business behavior and Anet will no longer be getting any money from me if this is how they treat their customers.

No more living story?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

They never said there would be no more LS. If you can find a quote where they said that, I’d be very interested.

No more living story?

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Now they are announcing that there will be no more LS and they are just sticking to expansions and occasional balance updates?!?!?

1. They never said that.

2. Wait for tuesday for the actual in-depth blog detailing their plans for the coming months.

No more living story?

Posted by: Valky.2574

Valky.2574

I pretty sure there will be a s3 and i am assuming you talking about this part

In the previous years we did lots of biweeky/monthly updates. In 2015 our focus was on HoT with some updates. in 2016 we are trying to find a balance between frequent game updates and working on the next expansion.
We want to focus on all the game modes. We are working on polishing existing game modes instead of experimenting with new stuff. Want to focus on depth instead of breath.
WvW overhaul has been in development for over a year now. There are lots of core things we still need to do including population balance etc.

Think of that as a sneak peak not a road map – that comes next week

then again the WvW part seems like BS to me

No more living story?

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It’s almost like they need to work on what they are communicating matching what actually is being done to the game. 2015 was littered with examples of ArenaNet saying one thing and then either not following through on it or just flat out not doing what they said they were going to do.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

No more living story?

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

HoT is S3, silly.

No more living story?

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

All right, rewatching Colin’s comments (and running them over and over again to transcribe, I’m no stenographer), he says starting around 10 minutes in to http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/v/34296922

“This year our focus is really to find a balance in development … We want to be able to have more frequent game updates for everybody, and we want to be able to continue to work on the next expansion simultaneously. So that’s a lot of what you’re going to see this year, is a combination of more frequent game updates, more regularly, and more balance across different parts of the game. We really want to treat PvP, PvE, WvW as all of them as our core game modes for GW2 and frequently update each of them. And within them, continue to update the core content pieces that make up those. We want to have updates to fractals, updates to Living World, have updates to World vs World, and PvP. All of those are things that we’ll be focusing on. New raids. As we kinda balance development across this year, we’re also working towards the next expansion as well.

So that’s really kinda what balanced development means to us and what you’re going to see in 2016 is a much more balanced strategy, development wise."

He goes on to discuss the experimental nature of GW2 development and says “3 years in, we’re really at the point where we need to focus on depth instead of breadth.” “I want our teams to focus on the systems we’ve built and lets just polish those, and add a lot more content to them.” He makes an exception for WvW, saying it needs more than just polish. “It’s the one part of the game where we still have a lot of core, fundamental things that we need to do.” Then he goes back to the other game areas and repeats the desire to polish it and “keep adding game content to those areas.”

Tuesday’s blog will outline what we can expect in the next three months and give an overview of plans for the year.

So not only did they not say they are ditching LS, Colin specifically mentioned it as an area getting equal dev time.

No more living story?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

“equal dev time”

I.E. This is something we did but have now abandoned and will not update ever again except for superficial slaps in the face.

i.e. dungeons
i.e. SAB
i.e. Fractals
i.e. Legendary weapons in 2013
i.e. Precursor scavenger hunt

Yeah…

No more living story?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

“equal dev time”

I.E. This is something we did but have now abandoned and will not update ever again except for superficial slaps in the face.

i.e. dungeons
i.e. SAB
i.e. Fractals
i.e. Legendary weapons in 2013
i.e. Precursor scavenger hunt

Yeah…

I’m guessing you’re wrong on a few things and the precursor crafting is in many ways a precursor scavenger hunt, so that’s in the game. The fractals I’m sure will be getting more attention. Saying something didn’t get attention in the past is pretty much irrlevant since we did get stuff we didn’t know we were going to get that many people liked.

There’s constructive critique and there’s complaining to complain. This accomplished nothing.

No more living story?

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

Lol.

The “expansion” was LS Season 3.

No more living story?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

LS 2 came out while they were planning HoT. There’s no reason we won’t see LS4 (or LS5 if HoT counts as 4) while they consider the next expac.

LS #2 came out while they were planning HoT. There’s no reason LS3 won’t come out while they consider the next expac (or maybe they’ll call it LS4, if HoT counts as ‘3’).

edit: thanks to Ayrilana.1396 for pointing out that I mangled the numbers.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

No more living story?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

again 2+2=infinity, cool.

No more living story?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

LS 2 came out while they were planning HoT. There’s no reason we won’t see LS4 (or LS5 if HoT counts as 4) while they consider the next expac.

What was LS3?

No more living story?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What was LS3?

Erm… I blame my cat … yeah, my cat, for um, moving my fingers away from the home spot and typing the wrong numbers.

I’ll fix the original text: what I meant was: there’s no reason why we won’t see another LS in between HoT and a second expac.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

No more living story?

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

Looks like most their team are now working on the next expansion, guessing they are aiming for yearly releases to make more $$. What this means is, there will be NO ls3 unless you pay for it; calling it now.

No more living story?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Looks like most their team are now working on the next expansion, guessing they are aiming for yearly releases to make more $$. What this means is, there will be NO ls3 unless you pay for it; calling it now.

LS3 requires HoT. We’ve known this since before HoT went live.