OMG these maps

OMG these maps

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: that baby stealing dingo.7216

that baby stealing dingo.7216

Every time I try the wastes, I get ten minutes in and leave. This vertical platforming stuff is godawful. Back to Orr for me.

I have a sword, a dagger, and an estimated life span of 2.47 seconds.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Try the Silverwastes instead of Drytop. There’s almost no verticality there.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Weirdly i enjoyed Dry top more than Silverwastes but i hate HoT.. weird.

OMG these maps

Vayne.8563

You still never let me show you around. lol

OMG these maps

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

i got more then handful of nitpicks with a-net and HoT, but maps aren’t one of them. On that they get S+

OMG these maps

Posted by: NeoCodex.2438

NeoCodex.2438

People actually play Orr? What do you even do there? I thought that place existed only to farm that Melandru shrine.

OMG these maps

Vayne.8563

People actually play Orr? What do you even do there? I thought that place existed only to farm that Melandru shrine.

Lots of people use Orr to level their masteries, or now they farm map rewards when the map rewards are good. Plenty of people still doing event chains in Orr. I was there just yesterday. Got plenty of heavy moldy bags.

The best value this week is the champ train in Frostgorge because the map rewards are powerful blood, giant eyes and charged lodestones.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Orr (particularly Malchors Leap) is also the best map source of elder wood, which is a steady income at about 5g for every 250 logs and is needed by the truckload for Guild Halls and precursor crafting.

Add in champ trains (cursed shore usually) and map rewards and Orr is running pretty full these days

OMG these maps

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

When that event isn’t broken, it is!
Also Grenth and Arah have precursor items I believe. Great place for ori and ancient wood and orrian truffles, map bonuses are nice, karma trains run all day. Good loot. If you don’t have HoT it is probably endgame if you aren’t keen on SW, Orr is mad busy every time I pop in.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

OMG these maps

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I love HoT, but Orr is fantastic too.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

OMG these maps

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

Me neither. I also offered! LoL

OMG these maps

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Yeah, same here. Silverwastes is fine. I tried to play dry top once and made it for maybe a half hour or so and I haven’t been back. HoT manages to combine the obscurity of verticality with annoying mobs nipping at your heels.

Bottom-line, I’m just not a platform gamer and I don’t enjoy it at all. And, that’s why I focus on MMO’s and ARPG’s. (I know the joke is on me with GW2.)

Lucky for me I have 22 characters and lot’s of map completion to do. Then, I guess it’s back to Orr or other games for me.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

My issue with silverwastes, is the only people I ever see in there, are few and far between, and generally just running their characters to the HoT entrance. Presently I’m working on collecting some bandit crests, but it’s slow going taking outposts with only 1 person. I made 60 crests in 2 days which to me seems like a terrible waste of time. Wish I knew how to find a busy silverwastes map. Is there a time of day that people actually play on it?

OMG these maps

Posted by: Tweekin.1349

Tweekin.1349

Lots of people use Orr to level their masteries, or now they farm map rewards when the map rewards are good. Plenty of people still doing event chains in Orr. I was there just yesterday. Got plenty of heavy moldy bags.

The best value this week is the champ train in Frostgorge because the map rewards are powerful blood, giant eyes and charged lodestones.

Huh, interesting. Where can I find the best values of the week (like is there a place I can look up what the map rewards are and when?)

OMG these maps

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Huh, interesting. Where can I find the best values of the week (like is there a place I can look up what the map rewards are and when?)

The wiki maintains an updated list.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward

You can also open your world map and maps with rewards show an icon. If you mouse over it the rewards will be displayed.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

OMG these maps

Posted by: vonbladewing.5973

vonbladewing.5973

am i the only person that like vertical maps…. i mean for years and years in MMOrpgs we had plain flat maps there boring after you play them 100times, i think the main problem is that allot of people are bad at exploring and remember locations, i have seen allot of player video of people exploring guild hall and new maps and get all turned around but some how they end up at the same place but act like its a brand new place……

Captain Commander of a Sky Edge Piracy

OMG these maps

Posted by: Tweekin.1349

Tweekin.1349

The wiki maintains an updated list.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward

You can also open your world map and maps with rewards show an icon. If you mouse over it the rewards will be displayed.

Awesome, thank you for the info. I knew about the mouse over, I had NO idea that it ever changed, weekly at that!

OMG these maps

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You’re welcome. Good luck gathering your map rewards.

The Burninator

OMG these maps

AliamRationem.5172

am i the only person that like vertical maps…. i mean for years and years in MMOrpgs we had plain flat maps there boring after you play them 100times, i think the main problem is that allot of people are bad at exploring and remember locations, i have seen allot of player video of people exploring guild hall and new maps and get all turned around but some how they end up at the same place but act like its a brand new place……

No. It isn’t just you. I think the exploration aspect of HoT is its best feature. It makes the maps distinctive and gives them depth. I’ll admit that they can be a bit overwhelming at first, and the map is frustrating to use because it doesn’t work by itself. You can only use it in combination with knowledge of landmarks and routes between them, which you must learn yourself by exploring.

Learning your way around these maps feels rewarding and they can actually be quicker to get from point to point than more straightforward maps, provided you know the best route to your objective. I wasn’t expecting that, but TD is the perfect example.

In TD, you’re rarely far from any particular point on the map and you don’t necessarily need to rely on a single waypoint to avoid a long haul. You just have to spend enough time exploring to make sense of the place.

Brilliant design, really. I hope they make more maps like it. And some flat maps for the players who prefer those, too. We can’t have it all one way!

OMG these maps

Posted by: annabelle.5876

annabelle.5876

I’m with you on the vertical maps – I absolutely love the HoT maps, even though they took some time for me to learn and get used to. The bad thing is, they’ve made the core maps seem even more stale now.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I am not a fan of the vertical maps. I do like Auric Basin but that is the only HoT map I really like.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Llyweln.3078

Llyweln.3078

My issue with silverwastes, is the only people I ever see in there, are few and far between, and generally just running their characters to the HoT entrance. Presently I’m working on collecting some bandit crests, but it’s slow going taking outposts with only 1 person. I made 60 crests in 2 days which to me seems like a terrible waste of time. Wish I knew how to find a busy silverwastes map. Is there a time of day that people actually play on it?

Best thing to do is use the lfg/world bosses Vw runs almost every 30ish mins…..give or take. Folks are always running taxis.

OMG these maps

Vayne.8563

Love the vertical maps as does my wife. Not really sure what the big deal is.

OMG these maps

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Love the vertical maps as does my wife. Not really sure what the big deal is.

This is my wife and I as well. There’s just so much freedom to being able to jump off a cliff and fly at top speed to the top or bottom of the maps. Ground travel gets boring after a while.

OMG these maps

Posted by: eNeRgOo.5463

eNeRgOo.5463

I hate Orr. I play this game since launch and I couldn’t stand Orr. This place is ugly, has weird sounds and that mobs everywhere which makes moving across the map more annoying.
HoT maps are something new, but as for me it’s kind of weird too. Even after completing them I still am finding new areas, and it’s easily to get lost. If ANET wants to go this way they better update minimaps to actually show things. Meta events per 2 hour is also no go for me. Do them like Silverwastes and I’ll be okay.
On the other hand – Dry Top and Silverwastes are the most enjoyable maps for me. I love that underground area under Silverwastes. I remember that it was something new and people were sitting there doing that badges achievement for days, which was also bad because after completing it people left this magnificent underground place and never came back. It wouldn’t be like that if that area had its own meta events or just events needed to progress the whole thing to meta. Dry Top is also cool because of Sandstorm. They could make another map with this logic but maybe with more conditions like storm then peace then drought then peace then storm.

OMG these maps

Dante.1508

I would but i don’t play anymore, i haven’t logged in in weeks, busy playing Homefront the Revolution honestly.

Guildwars 2 as it is need a lot of time and grind to do nearly anything, i do not have the patience to deal with that at this time.

Thanks again for the offer, add me in game and when i login (if i login) i’ll hit you up.

Again the same as above.. I basically login here occasionally to see progress and changes to the game, hopefully adding some damage nerfs to Hot, until then i cannot be bothered playing GW2 as it is.

I hated Orr at release but anet made the maps a lot easier and moving around now is enjoyable so i like the areas a lot more now. Still ugly as sin but a lot more fun for me.

(edited by Dante.1508)

OMG these maps

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

Well, the verticality would have been a real downer, if I hadn’t been able to fling myself off the edges and glide to…well, wherever I manage to get to, lol…for me that makes it a lot of fun, if a little uncontrolled here and there.

OMG these maps

Vayne.8563

I would but i don’t play anymore, i haven’t logged in in weeks, busy playing Homefront the Revolution honestly.

Guildwars 2 as it is need a lot of time and grind to do nearly anything, i do not have the patience to deal with that at this time.

Thanks again for the offer, add me in game and when i login (if i login) i’ll hit you up.

Again the same as above.. I basically login here occasionally to see progress and changes to the game, hopefully adding some damage nerfs to Hot, until then i cannot be bothered playing GW2 as it is.

I hated Orr at release but anet made the maps a lot easier and moving around now is enjoyable so i like the areas a lot more now. Still ugly as sin but a lot more fun for me.

The thing is I told you, pretty much uncategorically, that I could show you the new zones weren’t so bad, and instead of taking me up on it before you left, yes I made the offer long before, you left the game and played another, continuing to badmouth the zones, even though I’ve told you other people in your situation have changed their tune after they spend a bit of time with me including people on this forum.

So you didn’t really give a shot, you did what you did, said it was enough, ignored the offered help that might have turned it around, giving you an excuse to continue to rail against a game you’re admittedly no longer playing.

More to the point, though, you left the game in the first place two years ago because you were fed up with it, only to come back and, not be fed up with it again, but STILL be fed up with it.

I’m not sure you really like the game in the first place, except for maybe the hearts.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

I came across that problem a lot so it was noticeable to me that the last patch notes noted a fix for that event chain among them. have not actually been doing it since then though

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

OMG these maps

Vayne.8563

I came across that problem a lot so it was noticeable to me that the last patch notes noted a fix for that event chain among them. have not actually been doing it since then though

It’s like you people have never heard of Plinx. Just saying.

OMG these maps

General Health.9678

God I hate Plinx. So boring. There’s no waypoint for a start so you have to run across half the map to get there. And explain to other people how to get there. Then you aoe some trash only to run back across the half of the map you just traversed. The champ on the way doesn’t give loot, just karma which is a shame, I miss pulling Plinx into the arena. Then aoe some trash ooze. Then you stand around for the landing zone part. Then some more trash and just as it gets good near the fort, someone will give Plinx speedboost and it ruins it. And then finally the champ abom. Definitely the best bit but by this time something else has started and people leave to go do that as a full Shelter/Pent run is better loot/time than a single champ.

Orr is great for karma trains and / or if you don’t have HoT. I frequently pop back to Orr to gather wood/ori/truffles (I miss omnoms being important) and when I do I’ll do temple events and giant/ooze. There’s still a lot to do in Orr and it’s all nice and simple to get round. Except Plinx. Bugs me. As you can tell Give the poor guy a WP already, there’s a bunch of stuff up that end that would benefit from it.

OMG these maps

Posted by: misterman.1530

misterman.1530

The vertical maps were, at first, daunting. Actually, Tangled Depths is still quite messy to explore. However, gliding certainly helps. Then there was the verticality of the Desert Borderlands in WvW. All the verticality of the HoT maps without any of the gliding. If you wanted to experience frustration you should have tried that out.

OMG these maps

Vayne.8563

God I hate Plinx. So boring. There’s no waypoint for a start so you have to run across half the map to get there. And explain to other people how to get there. Then you aoe some trash only to run back across the half of the map you just traversed. The champ on the way doesn’t give loot, just karma which is a shame, I miss pulling Plinx into the arena. Then aoe some trash ooze. Then you stand around for the landing zone part. Then some more trash and just as it gets good near the fort, someone will give Plinx speedboost and it ruins it. And then finally the champ abom. Definitely the best bit but by this time something else has started and people leave to go do that as a full Shelter/Pent run is better loot/time than a single champ.

Orr is great for karma trains and / or if you don’t have HoT. I frequently pop back to Orr to gather wood/ori/truffles (I miss omnoms being important) and when I do I’ll do temple events and giant/ooze. There’s still a lot to do in Orr and it’s all nice and simple to get round. Except Plinx. Bugs me. As you can tell Give the poor guy a WP already, there’s a bunch of stuff up that end that would benefit from it.

Even if you own HoT, if you want to level Tyrian masteries, with buffs, the Orr train is as good as anyplace in core Tyria. When Plinx scales up there are tons of mobs all of which give XP, particularly if you’re using a profession that can tag everything.

I found the Cursed Shore a very fast and profitable way to complete my Tyrian masteries, and I did Plinx every time it was up. If nothing else the number of heavy moldy bags I got, on top of the XP made it worth it.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Honestly the feeling i get each time i think of going to those new maps is “Meh..do i really have to?

They don’t make me feel comfortable playing on them…it’s a combination of design and hard trash mobs that make it feel like a complete chore even simply exploring them.

OMG these maps

General Health.9678

Ah I spent a day in CoF doing the P1 Mastery farm with all the boosters. Was well worth the time out. Hadn’t thought of Orr until I saw people doing it there afterwards, doubt it was as quick as CoF but it would have been a great deal more fun.

OMG these maps

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

God I hate Plinx. So boring. There’s no waypoint for a start so you have to run across half the map to get there.

The R&D Waypoint is close to the Plinx start point — less than half the distance from Caer Shadowfain — and is only contested during that one tar elemental event. Even running from the Caer WP — which is never contested — is nowhere near half the map. That’s nothing compared to getting to certain places in HoT maps, especially when WP’s are contested there.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Fergus.4208

Fergus.4208

Best maps:
SS Tier: Verdant Brink.
S Tier: Auric Basin and Tangled Depths.
A Tier: Dry Top and Silverwastes.
B Tier: Starter maps.

Verdant Brink is by far the best map. I hope to see a map taking vertical exploration even further.

OMG these maps

Dante.1508

The thing is I told you, pretty much uncategorically, that I could show you the new zones weren’t so bad, and instead of taking me up on it before you left, yes I made the offer long before, you left the game and played another, continuing to badmouth the zones, even though I’ve told you other people in your situation have changed their tune after they spend a bit of time with me including people on this forum.

So you didn’t really give a shot, you did what you did, said it was enough, ignored the offered help that might have turned it around, giving you an excuse to continue to rail against a game you’re admittedly no longer playing.

More to the point, though, you left the game in the first place two years ago because you were fed up with it, only to come back and, not be fed up with it again, but STILL be fed up with it.

I’m not sure you really like the game in the first place, except for maybe the hearts.

I came back because i bought the expansion cheap, but the direction of the game continued down the grind alley and what i consider the not fun hardcore direction that Ascended and fractals started, the same main reason i left 3 years ago.. It seems the casual core tyria experience i loved when GW2 released is gone..

I come back to see if the experience will ever return, i doubt it will because customers that enjoyed what i enjoyed are all long gone i guess.

And as for HoT i know i hate it, having a chauffeur will not magically make me like it.

Honestly the feeling i get each time i think of going to those new maps is “Meh..do i really have to?

They don’t make me feel comfortable playing on them…it’s a combination of design and hard trash mobs that make it feel like a complete chore even simply exploring them.

Same here buddy, Same here.

(edited by Dante.1508)

OMG these maps

AliamRationem.5172

And as for HoT i know i hate it, having a chauffeur will not magically make me like it.

When I offered to help you in the jungle my intent was more to help you figure out how to appreciate it for what it is rather than what you wish it were.

You said that you have difficulty exploring the place and learning your way around because you can’t get away from all the monsters trying to kill you. So tell me why it wouldn’t help you to learn your way around if you had someone else there to keep those monsters off of you and show you the shortcuts you’re missing to get where you want to go?

Would that not likely result in a better understanding of the map layout and how to navigate it? And would that not be half the battle for you?

The other half is combat. As I told you before, my initial experience with the jungle was no different: It was confusing and I died constantly. It seems I wasn’t a special case. What makes you think you are? If I can learn to exploit the weaknesses of jungle enemies, I feel confident that you can, too.

Anyway, I’m not telling you that you should come back and play a game that you don’t enjoy. But I do think you’re wrong when you say that a little help from other players would be no use. You could be right, but I’ve helped enough players in the jungle to know that what at first seems impossible can become easy with some practice and a bit of help.

The offer is on the table, man. Any time you feel like coming back and giving it a go, just hit me up in game. We’ll see if we can figure this thing out.

OMG these maps

Vayne.8563

When I offered to help you in the jungle my intent was more to help you figure out how to appreciate it for what it is rather than what you wish it were.

You said that you have difficulty exploring the place and learning your way around because you can’t get away from all the monsters trying to kill you. So tell me why it wouldn’t help you to learn your way around if you had someone else there to keep those monsters off of you and show you the shortcuts you’re missing to get where you want to go?

Would that not likely result in a better understanding of the map layout and how to navigate it? And would that not be half the battle for you?

The other half is combat. As I told you before, my initial experience with the jungle was no different: It was confusing and I died constantly. It seems I wasn’t a special case. What makes you think you are? If I can learn to exploit the weaknesses of jungle enemies, I feel confident that you can, too.

Anyway, I’m not telling you that you should come back and play a game that you don’t enjoy. But I do think you’re wrong when you say that a little help from other players would be no use. You could be right, but I’ve helped enough players in the jungle to know that what at first seems impossible can become easy with some practice and a bit of help.

The offer is on the table, man. Any time you feel like coming back and giving it a go, just hit me up in game. We’ll see if we can figure this thing out.

I’ve lost count of the number of people who said they hate HoT, who I’ve played with who now enjoy HoT. Your hate of HoT could very well come from your lack of understanding and your lack of ability.

That you think hearts are some kind of great MMO content, frankly, blows my mind. They were and have always been filler.

As a person working on his sixth world complete, I don’t know how anyone thinks hearts are particularly fun.

OMG these maps

Dante.1508

Its not the i cannot do it, even if those frogs killed me 10 times in a row, i passed them in the end and moved on, its the fact that the whole content is based on cheese mechanics grind masteries which unless you have you cannot continue the maps completions or story, the fact the whole thing is tedious and not fun at all for me..

Sure over time i could pass those maps and get what i need even solo, but at what cost, to move on, but to actually enjoy the content no never, i hate it with a passion, going there drains my will and fun away, makes me angry with myself and at the game and generally just frustrates me to no end..

That to me is not why i play games, to actually get angry, stressed and want to break things by going to HoT is not a good gaming experience so i left the game for now.

I’ve lost count of the number of people who said they hate HoT, who I’ve played with who now enjoy HoT. Your hate of HoT could very well come from your lack of understanding and your lack of ability.

That you think hearts are some kind of great MMO content, frankly, blows my mind. They were and have always been filler.

As a person working on his sixth world complete, I don’t know how anyone thinks hearts are particularly fun.

Its not a lack of understanding or ability i’ve played since release, i have skills i just don’t have the patience anymore to deal with tedious cheese content and filler as you called it, yes hearts were filler but casual filler, hot has far far more filler and now gated filler as well..

Thank you for the offers both of you but trust me on this running hot with me would not be a pleasant experience, i play this content solo for a reason so i don’t “effect” other players with my anger and frustrations.. I do not group up because i’m bad at interacting with others and i stay away from it for a reason..

(edited by Dante.1508)

OMG these maps

Vayne.8563

Its not the i cannot do it, even if those frogs killed me 10 times in a row, i passed them in the end and moved on, its the fact that the whole content is based on cheese mechanics grind masteries which unless you have you cannot continue the maps completions or story, the fact the whole thing is tedious and not fun at all for me..

Sure over time i could pass those maps and get what i need even solo, but at what cost, to move on, but to actually enjoy the content no never, i hate it with a passion, going there drains my will and fun away, makes me angry with myself and at the game and generally just frustrates me to no end..

That to me is not why i play games, to actually get angry, stressed and want to break things by going to HoT is not a good gaming experience so i left the game for now.

Its not a lack of understanding or ability i’ve played since release, i have skills i just don’t have the patience anymore to deal with tedious cheese content and filler as you called it, yes hearts were filler but casual filler, hot has far far more filler and now gated filler as well..

Thank you for the offers both of you but trust me on this running hot with me would not be a pleasant experience, i play this content solo for a reason so i don’t “effect” other players with my anger and frustrations.. I do not group up because i’m bad at interacting with others and i stay away from it for a reason..

What you’re actually saying then is you’re bad and you truly believe you’re going to remain bad, and that you’re not going to get better.

And because of this you want Anet to produce more and more content completely devoid of challenge.

I don’t accept that you can’t learn, and I don’t accept that if you played with me it would affect me negatively. You’ve made up your mind, and that’s fine.

But you can’t expect a game to continue to be designed around anyone’s inflexibility. That’s not really reasonable.

In my opinion there aren’t enough people by percentage that thought hearts were good content for Anet to keep producing them. Even if they made new hearts, they’d have to be more challenging than the old ones, because I’m relatively sure most players find them obnoxious and a waste of time.

If you want to complete this zone you have to do 10-20 hearts.

If you’re like me and you make legendaries, you need multiple world completes. The first time through, yeah the hearts were okay. The 5th time through, not so much.

Hey, let’s trade a rock to this Jotun chief to get a reward to hand in, to fill in a heart.

And hearts have another issue of being just one time content. If you like them you have to keep making new characters to do them.

Dynamic events, on the other hand, cycle, so you can do them whenever you want.

There were plenty of quite easy dynamic events added to HoT that aren’t at all challenging. But you probably didn’t even bother giving those a chance.

OMG these maps

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I hate Dry Top. It’s like Silverwastes but without the rewards. Though the introduction of gliding has improved it.

Personally, I prefer the HoT maps by far at this point.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

OMG these maps

AliamRationem.5172

You have a low tolerance for adversity. I can see why HoT isn’t your thing. It takes time and it’s pretty rough going initially. But what is difficult at first doesn’t remain so for most players. Unlike core Tyria, you need to adapt. It’s not that you aren’t capable, it’s that you’ve never had to do it before.

So, again, I’m not telling you that you should play a game you don’t enjoy. I’m telling you that your difficulties are not a permanent condition and while I don’t doubt you’d experience some frustration in the process, you could learn to dominate the enemies that currently force you to run for your life as well as navigate maps that currently seem like an impossible maze.

There’s nothing frustrating about knowing exactly where you’re going in TD and knowing that you can handle as many chak as the place can throw at you, is there? If you hadn’t given up at the first sign of adversity, I expect you would have made it to that point. I did, and my initial experience was no different from what you’ve described.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Follyfoot.2803

Follyfoot.2803

I got to silver waste using my level 80 boost. My word that map is nuts. They take a fort, you take it back., they take a fort, you take it back, and rinse and repeat. I can’t seem to find any point to it.

OMG these maps

Vayne.8563

I got to silver waste using my level 80 boost. My word that map is nuts. They take a fort, you take it back., they take a fort, you take it back, and rinse and repeat. I can’t seem to find any point to it.

There is a point to it, but it’s not an immediate point. There’s a meta event in the zone. The bar on the event bar on the right gets further and further along. When it fills, you get a boss event underground (each fort has different boss), followed by another boss event called the Vine Wrath, which has three different lanes with three different bosses. After that, you get another event that’s sort of like an underground maze that you run through while transformed into a floating plant thing. You can only avoid combat, not fight and the things in the maze one shot you, so you have to be fast.

Each of these events comes with pretty decent rewards, not to mention chests you can find throughout the Silverwastes.

The zone, like all zones, is locked at a specific time. This is before the events that lead to HoT.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Follyfoot.2803

Follyfoot.2803

Thanks for the explanation Vayne.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Look for squads, it’s a large meta, if you just come in solo and try to makes sense of it, you are joining at a random time and it will look like chaos. I’ve been there myself. Once you get it down, it is a very fun map. I’d say all the newer maps are that way. Assume something much larger than just be-bopping around and make it a point to understand what is going on in each map, makes them way better, way better.

For many I believe this is the life cycle of the newer maps:
-Wow this is different.
-This is harder.
-I don’t understand.
-How can this be fun?
-Many may quit right here and assume the worst and it does them or the game no favors.
-But if you stick with it, slowly and surely everything comes into focus.
-These Meta’s are fun. I feel like I’m better for this.
-Difficulty at first I overstated but now is nothing special either.
-Wow lots of loot!
-The original maps are pretty plain jane thinking about it now.
-I’m concerned with the backlash that the next expansion will go back to the original types of maps, but now I’ve really come to appreciate the new ones.

(edited by Horrorscope.7632)

OMG these maps

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

I’m off topic a bit here, but the one thing I really fear is a water themed xpac. You thought midevil Mario was bad, wait until the water level.

As many others have said, rolling with the group is the best way to get around.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Morsigilo.1538

Morsigilo.1538

I LOVE the HoT maps. I just haven’t ever been able to transform the 2D MMO maps into a three dimensional picture in my mind. These maps (provided you find a safe place to stop and check) make it much easier to tell if you need to run up one ramp, or if you can just glade down to a different level.

Right now I am in the VD getting lost, killed by random crap frustration phase. I’ve been here before. Luckily, GW2 provides me fantastic ‘outs’. I can wayport to a world boss in another area, still get my fight on while taking a break from the mess that new areas can be until you understand them.

Silverwastes is so confusing if you just show up solo. But, with my temp boost I got some guildmates to go in, we ran the meta together and it totally makes sense. Now I can fly in solo, help with my fort, that boss, grab some lost bandit chests, protect my siege guys then beat the vine. Heck, last night there were only 4 of us on our siege line. We still succeeded the event. It was pretty amazing.