OMG these maps

OMG these maps

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Silverwastes

• Functionally:
    • I do like how the events in the Silverwastes are designed, mostly. I really need to get back over there to try for some more coat boxes to unlock the others that I am missing
  • Aesthetically
    • The map space between the forts seem to only function to artificially spread the forts out simply for the sake of distancing them from each other as a requirement of the purpose of the map – the events. This results in the enemies these areas contain simply being obstacles that attempt to hinder travel between the forts. Due to the event-driven nature of the map and how it requires as many players on the map as possible to take part in these events without any ‘sightseers’, I feel that they intentionally designed the map itself to be uninspired and lacking in atmosphere. I feel the reason for this was simply as a way to lessen the number of non-event related reasons to be on the map, so that the players that are on the map would likely be there to take part in the events and not off admiring the beauty of the landscape.
  • Basically, I feel that there are not too many reasons to be in or return to SW if you are not there for the ‘events>chest farm>events’ cycle and that this design is intentional.

Dry Top

• I loathe everything about this place. I still need ~150 geodes to finish making the ambrite sword, but I struggle at bringing myself to even set foot in there for 5 minutes at a time to slowly whittle away at them.

HoT
I did not purchase HoT.
However, based on what I have read and seen of the map designs:

• I would likely love the vertical nature of the maps
    (and would likely be the only thing that I would like out of what HoT includes)
  • One aspect of them that I would not enjoy is the ridiculous mob density and their being designed to focus on CC spamming and discouraging solo-traveling that would keep me from adventuring and exploring the maps, let alone actually getting a few moments to enjoy the sights.
  • I would love to see more maps of a vertical nature, but in the style of the solo-friendly, exploration-encouraging and admiration of the sights-permitting design of the core maps. A logically-designed and intuitively-functional 3D mini-map would also be a good idea to spend resources implementing if they continue with creating some vertically-designed maps.
| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

OMG these maps

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Silverwastes

• Functionally:
    • I do like how the events in the Silverwastes are designed, mostly. I really need to get back over there to try for some more coat boxes to unlock the others that I am missing
  • Aesthetically
    • The map space between the forts seem to only function to artificially spread the forts out simply for the sake of distancing them from each other as a requirement of the purpose of the map – the events. This results in the enemies these areas contain simply being obstacles that attempt to hinder travel between the forts. Due to the event-driven nature of the map and how it requires as many players on the map as possible to take part in these events without any ‘sightseers’, I feel that they intentionally designed the map itself to be uninspired and lacking in atmosphere. I feel the reason for this was simply as a way to lessen the number of non-event related reasons to be on the map, so that the players that are on the map would likely be there to take part in the events and not off admiring the beauty of the landscape.
  • Basically, I feel that there are not too many reasons to be in or return to SW if you are not there for the ‘events>chest farm>events’ cycle and that this design is intentional.

Dry Top

• I loathe everything about this place. I still need ~150 geodes to finish making the ambrite sword, but I struggle at bringing myself to even set foot in there for 5 minutes at a time to slowly whittle away at them.

HoT
I did not purchase HoT.
However, based on what I have read and seen of the map designs:

• I would likely love the vertical nature of the maps
    (and would likely be the only thing that I would like out of what HoT includes)
  • One aspect of them that I would not enjoy is the ridiculous mob density and their being designed to focus on CC spamming and discouraging solo-traveling that would keep me from adventuring and exploring the maps, let alone actually getting a few moments to enjoy the sights.
  • I would love to see more maps of a vertical nature, but in the style of the solo-friendly, exploration-encouraging and admiration of the sights-permitting design of the core maps. A logically-designed and intuitively-functional 3D mini-map would also be a good idea to spend resources implementing if they continue with creating some vertically-designed maps.

Not sure if you realize but completing the map in Drytop (which isn’t that hard) will give you 100 geodes. If you do it on two characters you’re set. lol

OMG these maps

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

snip

Not sure if you realize but completing the map in Drytop (which isn’t that hard) will give you 100 geodes. If you do it on two characters you’re set. lol

Thank you very much for the tip, Vayne.

I think I had completed it long ago on my main LS character and had used those geodes to craft a different ambrite weapon that I made shortly after the map’s release. I’ll double-check to make sure I’ve earned those already on it. I did not think about possibly earning more in the same way with other characters. I guess I’ll try to see if I can get myself to map-complete it on another character instead of scraping a couple geodes together one event at a time over the course of months.

I was mostly using my lack of only a few geodes as an example to illustrate how much I do not like the area – even though I only need a few geodes to craft the weapon and free up the storage slots the items currently occupy, I end up finding myself staring at them and talking myself out of simply deleting/selling the items and then talk myself into spending 5 minutes in Dry Top getting a few of the last geodes I need. That is how much I dislike that map.

Again, thank you for the tip.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

OMG these maps

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

snip

Thank you very much for the tip, Vayne.

I think I had completed it long ago on my main LS character and had used those geodes to craft a different ambrite weapon that I made shortly after the map’s release. I’ll double-check to make sure I’ve earned those already on it. I did not think about possibly earning more in the same way with other characters. I guess I’ll try to see if I can get myself to map-complete it on another character instead of scraping a couple geodes together one event at a time over the course of months.

I was mostly using my lack of only a few geodes as an example to illustrate how much I do not like the area – even though I only need a few geodes to craft the weapon and free up the storage slots the items currently occupy, I end up finding myself staring at them and talking myself out of simply deleting/selling the items and then talk myself into spending 5 minutes in Dry Top getting a few of the last geodes I need. That is how much I dislike that map.

Again, thank you for the tip.

I’m curious….why do you dislike the map so much?

OMG these maps

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

I LOVE the HoT maps. I just haven’t ever been able to transform the 2D MMO maps into a three dimensional picture in my mind. These maps (provided you find a safe place to stop and check) make it much easier to tell if you need to run up one ramp, or if you can just glade down to a different level.

They needed to come up with a new format for the elevation levels for HoT. The old system (current system) was fine for the almost entirely 1 elevation maps.

We had a few spots where the layered map worked just fine, but with the HoT maps, it doesn’t give a very detailed description of where the ability to climb higher is, making the maps seem much more confusing.

I really thing showing “elevators”, places to safely move up and down, would have made the maps seem more friendly.

OMG these maps

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I really thing showing “elevators”, places to safely move up and down, would have made the maps seem more friendly.

This. And more.

I’m really hoping the next QoL upgrade is a hugely improved mini map with custom marking tools. Tangled Depths could really use it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

OMG these maps

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

Perhaps an upcoming vertical map should be more in the likes of a mega-huge open world dungeon. Many will probably be able to wrap their heads around that better.