Obsessing over rewards WILL make you unhappy

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Same goes for life. You’ve heard it a million times before, and maybe that’s why it’s so hard to believe. If all you ever try to do is have nice things, you’re never going to be satisfied, because things get old quickly, especially in the face of new things. If you feel like you’re running on a treadmill, constantly chasing a carrot on a stick, you probably are. But you don’t have to be.

Enjoying this game is a choice. A choice all (well, most) of us have the power to make. But you will never enjoy it if you treat it like a job, something you have to do to achieve some end, whatever it may be, that you think you desire, but can’t explain why outside of the terms of the game.

If you want to enjoy this game, or any MMO, you need to see the carrot as a suggestion. Something that directs you toward an experience, something you haven’t done before, or that you haven’t explored fully. Only when you come to appreciate each experience for what it’s worth, will you find yourself truly satisfied.

Now, that doesn’t mean it has to be your favorite game, or that you even have to like it much, or for very long. We all have individual preferences, and to some people, a game like this just isn’t worth their time. Those people should not make themselves try to like something that they just don’t find appealing.

So, at the end of the day, you just have to ask yourself: why am I playing? Why do I want to get this thing, or that achievement? Each of you will have a different answer, but that does not mean they are equally satisfactory. If all you care about is having the shiniest toys, or the most prestigious accomplishments, then I’m afraid you will be sorely disappointed with the experience. Luckily, all you have to do is change your approach, shift your focus toward enjoying the experience of it all, rather than caring only about the end goal. So, why don’t you?

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

Isn’t that the goal of life? Whoever has the most when they die wins?

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Isn’t that the goal of life? Whoever has the most when they die wins?

Except the one who has the most kills is most likely to be disliked in life than in game.

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

The joy of the Internet, where I can safely assume everyone enjoys exactly the same things I do. So if they would just play how I tell them It will be ok.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I can’t upvote this enough.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

The joy of the Internet, where I can safely assume everyone enjoys exactly the same things I do. So if they would just play how I tell them It will be ok.

Think you just won an internet, at least from me.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.