Official response re HoT inclusions.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Byter.9051

Byter.9051

Hi guys,

Because we weren’t getting any real responses on the forums regarding HoT expac having the original game included (and the standard edition being ridiculously high in price) I decided to contact support to find out what their stance on it is so here is the reply I received:

Lance (Guild Wars 2 Support)

Jun 16, 20:19

Hello,

The Standard Edition of the Heart of Thorns Expansion comes with a free Guild Wars 2 Core game for those who do not already own Guild Wars 2. There will not be an available expansion version released that does not include the Core game for a lower price.

Regards,

Lance
Guild Wars 2 Support Team
http://help.guildwars2.com/

This feels rather final (and was a very toxic response to this) personally I think my decision not to purchase HoT will stand, I understand that there has been a lot of “Free” content (which is really not free since they are making money off selling the LS releases to new players and the original LS is not something that can be replayed) but $50 is rather overpriced with the released information. This is unlikely to change given the past with Gw2 Devs ability to listen to their players.

In short, I like many will not be pre-purchasing and it is unlikely that I will be buying HoT at all if I have to have an extra copy of the game (being that all my friends have the game and my family does not game lel so it is literally a paperweight) but yo, GW2 not really surprising me at this stage Thumbsup

~Byte

(edited by Byter.9051)

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

One of the most disgusting “moves” i’ve seen in recent years..and i am not even exaggerating….it’s purely disgusting.

Yes won’t buy it also. At this point it’s an official scam for ppl who already have the game. In all honesty…out of all companies to do such things, ANet wasn’t even on the list…

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

Thanks for posting this

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

“(and was a very toxic response to this) "

apparently stating objective facts in a neutral tone is toxic if you disagree with them.

Anyways, 99%+ of players will buy HoT. 100% of new players will buy HoT. Enjoy being the less than 1% no one cares about. Ever played an MMO without the current xpac? You’re either going to quit or buy it anyways.

Byter.9051

apparently stating objective facts in a neutral tone is toxic if you disagree with them.

The toxicity comes from the situation and the lack of empathy from a “Customer service” representitive that they employ to keep their customers happy. After having worked in CS my entire life, I can tell you that this is a very toxic response.

Larynx.2453

The toxicity comes from the situation and the lack of empathy from a “Customer service” representitive that they employ to keep their customers happy. After having worked in CS my entire life, I can tell you that this is a very toxic response.

Probably has to do with the hundreds of idiots spamming their reps since the HoT announcement. You should be thankful they even responded in a timely manner. If they actually cared to give a detailed, empathetic and personalized reply, you’d just be complaining that ArenaNet don’t respond to your tickets.

Posted by: Kitsune.1902

Kitsune.1902

My impression would be it’s not toxic so much as copy/paste response – kept neutral and impartial so it can be applied ‘as is’ to as many of the similar queries as possible.

Byter.9051

Probably has to do with the hundreds of idiots spamming their reps since the HoT announcement. You should be thankful they even responded in a timely manner. If they actually cared to give a detailed, empathetic and personalized reply, you’d just be complaining that ArenaNet don’t respond to your tickets.

That is quite an assumption there, I would rather wait for a decent customer service rep to respond and explain the situation and if they actually went and explained it then posts like these would not exist, but its cool, don’t focus on the content of the post, focus on my opinion.

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

Hi guys,

Hello,

The Standard Edition of the Heart of Thorns Expansion comes with a free Guild Wars 2 Core game for those who do not already own Guild Wars 2. There will not be an available expansion version released that does not include the Core game for a lower price.

Regards,

Lance

this is the core of the issue for me. they are actively discriminating against existing players. why can’t those of use who have the game get another copy, to share, or use as an alt?

(edited by Gray.9041)

Posted by: Lydon.1890

Lydon.1890

Enjoy being the less than 1% no one cares about.

I’d hazard a guess that, as a company looking to make a profit with shareholders it needs to answer to, ArenaNet cares about any loss of potential revenue.

Larynx.2453

Enjoy being the less than 1% no one cares about.

I’d hazard a guess that, as a company looking to make a profit with shareholders it needs to answer to, ArenaNet cares about any loss of potential revenue.

Even little Timmy?

Posted by: Cameron.2315

Cameron.2315

the funny thing is you don’t get the extra copy of the game

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

Hi guys,

Because we weren’t getting any real responses on the forums regarding HoT expac having the original game included (and the standard edition being ridiculously high in price) I decided to contact support to find out what their stance on it is so here is the reply I received:

Hello,

Regards,

Lance

This feels rather final (and was a very toxic response to this) personally I think my decision not to purchase HoT will stand, I understand that there has been a lot of “Free” content (which is really not free since they are making money off selling the LS releases to new players and the original LS is not something that can be replayed) but $50 is rather overpriced with the released information. This is unlikely to change given the past with Gw2 Devs ability to listen to their players.

In short, I like many will not be pre-purchasing and it is unlikely that I will be buying HoT at all if I have to have an extra copy of the game (being that all my friends have the game and my family does not game lel so it is literally a paperweight) but yo, GW2 not really surprising me at this stage Thumbsup

~Byte

" There will not be an available expansion version released that does not include the Core game for a lower price." Yuuuuuuck. Kittening slimy company. I’m out. Maybe in a year I’ll come back to troll the trading post.

Byter.9051

I hope this is not against forum rules but this puts my feelings into words regarding this:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Some-simple-math-for-why-we-re-so-angry

Posted by: upsdn.5426

upsdn.5426

Lol. I guess in a way that is funny. “Here’s this product bundle—you get the original plus this other bit!” “Okay, but where’s the original?” “You already had one of those, so we’ll just keep it.”

Oh okay, thanks for just not giving us what’s in the product description. Juxtaposing this with the FAQ edit, it’s obvious how slimy the people in charge have become.

My advice: get out now, before you sink money into the expansion and fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy. (And for those of you who feel you’ve already spent too much on the game to quit at this point: you still can, really. You just have to recognize that any further investment in this product—a product created and marketed in bad faith—is more harmful than quitting now, “while you’re ahead.”

That is to say, you gain nothing by quitting. But you don’t lose as much as you would by continuing to play.

Byter.9051

Lol. I guess in a way that is funny. “Here’s this product bundle—you get the original plus this other bit!” “Okay, but where’s the original?” “You already had one of those, so we’ll just keep it.”

Oh okay, thanks for just not giving us what’s in the product description. Juxtaposing this with the FAQ edit, it’s obvious how slimy the people in charge have become.

My advice: get out now, before you sink money into the expansion and fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy. (And for those of you who feel you’ve already spent too much on the game to quit at this point: you still can, really. You just have to recognize that any further investment in this product—a product created and marketed in bad faith—is more harmful than quitting now, “while you’re ahead.”

That is to say, you gain nothing by quitting. But you don’t lose as much as you would by continuing to play.

OMG are you serious! Isn’t that against the law in most countries? I did not even know this, I am most definitely not buying this expac, kitten that.

Posted by: Batelle.1680

Batelle.1680

why can’t those of use who have the game get another copy, to share, or use as an alt?

Because the idea is to eliminate the base game altogether- if you took the base game component and kept he HoT upgrade, then your friend with the base game would be locked out of the HoT stuff until they bought HoT, which includes another copy of the base game… Other games make new players buy the base game + the expansion. Anet isn’t.

And it’s not discrimination against anyone, not anymore than any product eventually going on sale or a deep discount. Which, again, not at all.

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

I understand what they are doing, they only need to give a freaking extra slot of character, I am not buying a slot and I am not deleting any of my characters.

In the end, the content of this expansion is really weak for how I play the game.

Gray.9041

And it’s not discrimination against anyone, not anymore than any product eventually going on sale or a deep discount. Which, again, not at all.

I literally get less for my money as an existing player than a new player would get for the same money. how is that not discriminating?

if I could get both, then it wouldn’t be. but I don’t. I only get the Expansion, while a new player gets both.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

60$ is the normal price for expansions, i do not understand why everyone is kittening about them including the base game? This is what happens when you want expansions, just think we could have had all these updates for free. GG internet cryers.

Gray.9041

60$ is the normal price for expansions, i do not understand why everyone is kittening about them including the base game? This is what happens when you want expansions, just think we could have had all these updates for free. GG internet cryers.

again, it’s not the inclusion of the base game. in fact, it’s the lack of the inclusion of the base game for existing players that’s one of the main issues.

Byter.9051

The issue is that:

1. This expac does not have enough content to be considered a stand-alone game (which most expacs do)
2. The players who have the game do not actually recieve their “free” copy of the game.
3. I would not care if the game was 60& but included half the things that most WoW standard expacs include.
4. As a vet player we are literally getting nothing except a wasted $10 that we don’t even get the serial code for (thus we cannot give it to friends and family).

oh and 5. The expac is not actually finished meaning they’re asking us to be like “ok have $50 of my money (actually $65 of my money)” to their response of “we might release more than what we’ve said we will but lol idk”

(edited by Byter.9051)

Posted by: Lysette.4619

Lysette.4619

3 of my friends stopped playing to go back to wow last night because they bought gw2 last week. Now they have to spend 50 more $ to play. This leaves me in the same boat (I’ve been round for 3 months though so I could still shrug off the 50 as not to much to quick) I’m gunna be bored as hell now that all my real life gamer buds have left.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

This may as well be the official response…

Lydon.1890

Because if you apply the code to an existing account, you do NOT get the base game. It magically disappears into oblivion.

If you still received a key to the base game account which you can gift to a friend at the very least, you would still have received something of monetary value in return. receive another base game account that you could gift to a friend at the very least, you would still receive something of monetary value in return. However, as matters currently stand, you receive less for $50 as an existing player than a new player does.

Batelle.1680

I literally get less for my money as an existing player than a new player would get for the same money. how is that not discriminating?

if I could get both, then it wouldn’t be. but I don’t. I only get the Expansion, while a new player gets both.

It’s because you already have the game and the version of the game you have is now obsolete. You have played it and enjoyed it (probably) for months if not years. Do you freak out about consignment stores? Consoles bundled with free games? Paperbacks? Movie series that are packaged together for less than it would cost to buy each one separately? If you bought the game at launch, you were an early adopter and early adopters almost always pay more for the privilege of having the thing first (“early adopter tax”).

Seriously- I totally get not wanting to pre-purchase until Anet gives us more information, and the lack of character slot is shady, but I’m starting to wonder if there’s a huge population of people who have never participated in capitalism before. Stuff like this is literally an every day occurrence.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’m utterly baffled by the sheer number of people who think new customer incentives are an alien concept.

I can’t think of a single company that offers a service that does not offer deals exclusive to new customers to incentivise purchase.

Where’s the demonisation of them? You’re acting like ANet have done something unprecedented and morally wrong when in fact they’re doing what almost every service providing company has been doing since they existed.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Lysette.4619

Refund my 3 friends please as u just stole from them by allowin them to purchase this last week. Please, “loyal 3 month vet who had bought plenty of gem like a crack head to the blue Walter white”

Byter.9051

It’s because you already have the game and the version of the game you have is now obsolete. You have played it and enjoyed it (probably) for months if not years. Do you freak out about consignment stores? Consoles bundled with free games? Paperbacks? Movie series that are packaged together for less than it would cost to buy each one separately? If you bought the game at launch, you were an early adopter and early adopters almost always pay more for the privilege of having the thing first (“early adopter tax”).

Seriously- I totally get not wanting to pre-purchase until Anet gives us more information, and the lack of character slot is shady, but I’m starting to wonder if there’s a huge population of people who have never participated in capitalism before. Stuff like this is literally an every day occurrence.

Your point about consoles bundled with free games is moot because you can trade those free games back to the store for cash or store credit, our “free version of the game” gets blasted into oblivion, we get no serial code, no nothing, we just get HoT so we effectively pay $10 more than new players.

Zypher.7609

What makes this all so funny, is Bungie is doing the same thing with Destiny expansion coming out in September. Offering the base game as part of the expansion package. And do you know what those forums are all up in crazy as well. They are offering the base game for free to new people. If they did not offer it for free, the new people would have to pay 50$ for the expansion and another 10-20$ for the base game. If you even try to utter the words “BUT BUT BUT i had to pay twice”. Then you are a spoiled adult/child and need to grow up. Having new people join the game is always a good thing, just because they paid less than you does not make them any worse a person. GET OVER YOURSELF.

Byter.9051

What makes this all so funny, is Bungie is doing the same thing with Destiny expansion coming out in September. Offering the base game as part of the expansion package. And do you know what those forums are all up in crazy as well. They are offering the base game for free to new people. If they did not offer it for free, the new people would have to pay 50$ for the expansion and another 10-20$ for the base game. If you even try to utter the words “BUT BUT BUT i had to pay twice”. Then you are a spoiled adult/child and need to grow up. Having new people join the game is always a good thing, just because they paid less than you does not make them any worse a person. GET OVER YOURSELF.

We don’t care that they don’t get it for free (or at least I don’t) I care that I have to pay $10 more because I do not get my “free” copy of the game, are you seriously trying to defend them making their vets get absolutely nothing out of this despite the fact that if it were not for us, there would be no expac, or game, or new players because there would have been no one spending money on it for the last 3 years…

Zypher.7609

We don’t care that they don’t get it for free (or at least I don’t) I care that I have to pay $10 more because I do not get my “free” copy of the game, are you seriously trying to defend them making their vets get absolutely nothing out of this despite the fact that if it were not for us, there would be no expac, or game, or new players because there would have been no one spending money on it for the last 3 years…

Yup you are spoiled, let the new players have a free copy of the game. I have enjoyed the last 3 years of playing, and already purchased the Ultimate version.

Batelle.1680

Your point about consoles bundled with free games is moot because you can trade those free games back to the store for cash or store credit, our “free version of the game” gets blasted into oblivion, we get no serial code, no nothing, we just get HoT so we effectively pay $10 more than new players.

Except there are people who buy the console without any free games, and air cannot be taken back for store credit. Like, all of my points stand. Companies do this sort of thing all the time, for a number of reasons, and it is absolutely not discriminatory, nor are early adopters owed anything.

Byter.9051

Yup you are spoiled, let the new players have a free copy of the game. I have enjoyed the last 3 years of playing, and already purchased the Ultimate version.

You know what, I’d rather be spoiled than ripped off or stupid so yeah, call me spoiled. That does not change the fact that this whole situation is entirely unnecessary and unfair to players who have been playing for the past 3 years, also, you may have $100 to spend on a game that is unfinished and is wanting you pay more for less but I personally am not in a position to justify that, so, I will not be playing HoT with the vast majority of vet’s, this game will continue to decline in playerbase and eventually it will die all together. Meh, enjoy your $100 of “free” stuff.

Lydon.1890

There’s a very big difference between being spoiled and having common sense.

Zypher.7609

Good then get some, having new players not have to pay twice for a game is a good thing. There is no reason why people should kitten that new players get the base game for free. If you do it is because you are thinking of yourself rather what is best for the game.

Take your own advice, and get some common sense.

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

If you do it is because you are thinking of yourself rather what is best for the game.

First of all, don’t worry what “best for the game”. You are not saving the world and companies will NEVER do things to harm themselves. By stating our opinion we can only hope they consider it and find a compromise. On the other hand, that statement makes me think you are young, because if you lived a while with that “Do it for the greater good” logic you’d realize random companies (even your employers and employees if you have any) would screw you over on every turn.

On a different note, switch to a different game, or take a break all-together,come back on Xmas and buy it at 50% price (if you decide to come back). You will probably save a few $ on buying gems, definitely a few $ on Xmas discounts AND the game will feel fresher as you won’t have played it for a while. The price WILL drop sooner or later, only question is if you can wait until then.
Let me just point out that pre-order bonuses are rubbish and based on how they’ve done betas so far you can assume you will miss them all. So unless you wanna pay 25$ for a pre-order title waiting it out is a solid option.

(edited by Jitsuryoku.9038)

Posted by: Bristingr.5034

Bristingr.5034

I have never seen an expansion cost that much. I was expecting $40 at the very most for HoT, and considering they were selling the base game for $40, and suddenly it’s Core + Expansion for $50, something just seems off is all.

Posted by: Jehuty.1938

Jehuty.1938

Good then get some, having new players not have to pay twice for a game is a good thing. There is no reason why people should kitten that new players get the base game for free. If you do it is because you are thinking of yourself rather what is best for the game.

Are you THAT kitten stupid or are you just trolling? It’s cool for new players indeed but why the KITTEN should I buy the SAME THING TWICE and having it only 1 TIME?
If that’s spoiled for you then good for you, throw your money away.

That’s just common sense. You pay for something, you GET it, that’s all. It’s not about what is best for the game. I don’t care that’s not my work that is Anet’s. They don’t pay me to promote their game, they don’t pay me at all so guess what? I’m just a basic consumer that want to get what I pay for. Me playing the game before the expansion hasn’t anything to do with this issue.

Dumb b***

Zypher.7609

Are you THAT kitten stupid or are you just trolling? It’s cool for new players indeed but why the KITTEN should I buy the SAME THING TWICE and having it only 1 TIME?
If that’s spoiled for you then good for you, throw your money away.

That’s just common sense. You pay for something, you GET it, that’s all. It’s not about what is best for the game. I don’t care that’s not my work that is Anet’s. They don’t pay me to promote their game, they don’t pay me at all so guess what? I’m just a basic consumer that want to get what I pay for. Me playing the game before the expansion hasn’t anything to do with this issue.

Dumb b***

You are not buying something twice, you are buying an expansion. It comes with the base game, if you did not already have the base game. You just imagined the expansion being less than 50$. Sorry it is not, this is what happens when people want expansions. We could have had free updates albeit at a slower pace but they would have been free. Pay the money or wait like the other poster said, because around the holidays it will be at a reduced cost.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I totally understand trying to keep everyone on current content.
Mucking around in Destiny for a while they’ve released two “expansions”
so now they have:
Vanilla
Vanilla + xpak 1
Vanilla + xpak 2
Vanilla + xpak 1 & 2

It’s a bit of a mess. It’s far easier if everyone has the lastest pack and stays up to date.
(it’s why some games don’t allow the option, you upgrade or get left out in the cold)

So yeah, setting up new players with the whole thing is nice, I don’t begrudge new players that.
The problem is that it feels like I’m paying for the base game again.
They call it a “free bonus” but anyone with any intelligence at all realizes there’s no such thing as a free lunch. That bonus is definitely part of the purchase price
(Like when the xbox one launched and people wanted a cheaper one without the Kinect, and Microsoft kept saying the Kinect was a free upgrade for all users despite its cost being built into the base price)

Now, I myself have been trying to get a few people to join me in coming back to the game, my girlfriend included. And one of the hurdles has been the cost.
If buying myself the expansion gave me a separately usable key I could use to create her an account it might not sting quite as much (for me at least)

Ideally though I should be able to just buy HoT, I might even buy a special edition of the xpack for the bonus stuff, just not at the ridiculous price points they have for base+xpack.

I’m also in the odd position of only having just come back to the game this week.
Between this and the bump to ascended stats I’m seriously questioning if I want to come back at all.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Jitsuryoku.9038

Jitsuryoku.9038

You are not buying something twice, you are buying an expansion. It comes with the base game, if you did not already have the base game. You just imagined the expansion being less than 50$. Sorry it is not, this is what happens when people want expansions. We could have had free updates albeit at a slower pace but they would have been free. Pay the money or wait like the other poster said, because around the holidays it will be at a reduced cost.

I’m not defending the price by any means. If you buy an expansion you ARE paying twice. A new player will pay once (50$) and will have the same content you paid twice (2 times 50$) to get. Basic math suggests that old player pays twice as much. Also, if you think the 50$ of HoT is only that stop kidding yourself. It’s new player-cost distributed to all of us. A new player would have to pay 40-50$ for main game +30$ for expansion (70-80 total) and it wouldn’t seem as good of a deal. So Instead of putting expansion separately and making new players pay 70-80$ and old ones pay 30$ they make it so everyone pays 50$.

Technically old players ARE paying twice even if you don’t realize it.

Lydon.1890

I don’t care that new players are getting the base game for free. I DO care that I am paying for an additional copy of the base game which magically disappears the moment I choose to upgrade my existing account to a HoT account.

Perhaps an analogy will help you digest this very simple concept: I walk into a restaurant and order a burger for $5. A few minutes later, when I’ve half finished eating my burger, someone else walks into the same store and orders a new meal option – this includes a “free/bonus” burger with fries – for $5. That meal option didn’t exist when I bought my burger a little while earlier.

That’s okay…times change. I can live with that. But now, I have a choice: I can walk up to the counter and order the new meal offer for an additional $5. However, if I do that, I will only receive the fries because I’ve already purchased a burger and can’t have another. The store will happily take my full $5, which includes their cost to supply me with a burger, but I can’t have it. The restaurant’s reasoning for that? I started eating my burger earlier than the customer who walked into the store a few minutes later, thus had more time to enjoy it. For that, I should be grateful. The store won’t consider letting me “upgrade” my burger to a meal for slightly less than the full $5, they won’t give me another burger when I order the meal, or even offer me a soda as compensation, even though I’m paying the same price as the new customer who ordered the same meal.

That would be ludicrous. This is no different. As you said: take your own advice and get some common sense.

Lysette.4619

I am only complaining about the people who bought the game within the past month who didn’t even recover from the money they spent to get the base game and now your asking them to pay 50$ min to make that original 50$ even worth it. Honestly the players who have been round 3 years need to just kitten and realize how much anet prolly does for them. But brand new players (starter accounts with the last month) should be given a copy of the expansion as an apology that u didn’t remove or at least reduce the cost of the vanilla content knowing full well the expansion preorder would allow u to get a brand spanking new account and expansion for the same price. Salt in my kitten

Lysette.4619

I demand john apologize for being a crass and careless employee representing anet on these forums. I can’t believe he’s so arrogant.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I saw posted in another thread that you can get refunds within 30 days after buying the game from ANet. I can’t link it because the forums are loading super slow for me today and I can only handle but so many games of Hearts between thread loads.

But that means everyone who bought in the last month should be able to (politely) request a refund, get it, and then decide whether to buy HoT along with the game. Though I suppose they’d be undoing whatever leveling and account unlocks they’d managed thus far.

Posted by: AliceStar.2189

AliceStar.2189

Thanks for posting the support ticket response so I don’t need to put in a ticket.

Posted by: CynicalFred.9135

CynicalFred.9135

It’s not toxic it’s a company standing by their guns.
This might even be a bad decision but i’ll tell you what happens if they go back on it now.
1) It would be exactly like rewarding a child’s temper tantrum and the next time something happens the offended part of the community will never stop whining.

2) People will kitten in the opposite direction because it’s making it harder for new players to get in just to cater to a minority in the current community.

3) It will discourage new players even more because veterans think they’re better and Anet effectively backed it up.

4) A large portion of current players will buy the game anyway.

Btw i’ve had this game since launch on 2012, i don’t know for sure if i’m even buying HoT (mainly because i don’t know if i’m spending enough time in game to justify) but if i do it’s got nothing to do with Anet not wanting to punish new players for wanting to get in. Any response they had at this point would be horribly criticized no matter what it was.

Posted by: Pretty Pixie.8603

Pretty Pixie.8603

If you do it is because you are thinking of yourself rather what is best for the game.

Of course a customer is going to go what’s best for themselves. That’s how financial transactions work.

Companies also think about what’s best for themselves. And what’s best for a company is to keep it’s customers happy.

Especially one depending on a goodwill gemstore.

PS: You’re potentially driving players away with your antagonistic arguments. Paying players. So if you’re all about doing what’s ‘best for the game’ I’d dial it back a bit.

Not kidding myself though.

Relentless Inquisition [PAIN] – FA