Offline characters as Guild Hall NPCs?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Nitross.6987

Nitross.6987

I saw comments on Reddit today saying how Guild Halls were great but felt a little empty.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3qttx4/shout_out_good_job_on_the_guild_halls/cwi9gel

I know the idea isn’t new, but wouldn’t having your guild mates’ characters there in the hall would be better than some random NPCs?

Location in the hall could be based on Profession, Race, Crafting disciplines or even the Title equipped on the character. They could also assign some conversation choices based on those or even let us set an “Away text” on our characters.

As a similar feature, it would also be fun to have your own “alts” show up in their racial Home Instance.

- Fort Aspenwood -

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

Just let me create a statue of my character and let me scale it like x10 – and let people donate gold to it for good fortune.

Yes, that

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I like this idea too, even complete with character outfits.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

All that would do is turn 480 people offline into 480 NPCs saying the same 8 lines Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again

In other words i’ll pass

Posted by: gerry.6519

gerry.6519

it sounds good, but have you thought of the amount of coding and the amount of memory they would need for it, i’d rather have a bunch of new maps then this in their servers

Posted by: Redattack.7836

Redattack.7836

It’d be awesome, but I feel as if on the technical side of things it would cause lots of problems. It’d definitely need to be limited, especially for large guilds with 100+ people.

Posted by: Omne.4603

Omne.4603

This is an amazing idea.

I Cant Stop/ Ocularis
NSP | Os Guild Master
www.osguild.org | www.youtube.com/osthink

Posted by: Nitross.6987

Nitross.6987

Like Redattack.7836 mentions, technical issues like those Adine.2184 and gerry.6519 mentionned can be mitigated by not including all 500 players a guild can hold all the time.

People want the halls to feel more alive. I say that, instead of adding 20 random NPCs, add 20 NPCs that look like random offline guild mates.

Aside from loading the assets of the player, it should take no more performance off the servers than current NPCs.

- Fort Aspenwood -

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

One of the most fun additions to GW was mercenary heroes that you can apply your characters appearance to. My hero groups in GW are my alts.

Anet has done this. How much could be applied to this game.. I don’t know. Perhaps this would be better applied to more private instances such as Home instances.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

I saw comments on Reddit today saying how Guild Halls were great but felt a little empty.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3qttx4/shout_out_good_job_on_the_guild_halls/cwi9gel

I know the idea isn’t new, but wouldn’t having your guild mates’ characters there in the hall would be better than some random NPCs?

Location in the hall could be based on Profession, Race, Crafting disciplines or even the Title equipped on the character. They could also assign some conversation choices based on those or even let us set an “Away text” on our characters.

As a similar feature, it would also be fun to have your own “alts” show up in their racial Home Instance.

It will lag the zone because it will end up with something like 400+ npcs standing and walking around.

Maybe if they only have a limited set number of players be npcs that are officers with a specific assigned npc role in the guild that would work.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

EQ2 also has player made NPCs that are placeable, customizable by race char creation screen, equipable, and with limited proximity triggered emote animations and voice dialog chosen from a menu or custom text only dialog.

SWG also had flavor NPCs and vendors that could be placed in any housing, although with limited appearance options and text only dialogs.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

It would be really nice if we could choose one character on our account and pick a place for them to hang out, while we are offline. Maybe pick a phrase for them to say if you talk to them as well. “All things have a right to grow…”

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

player made npc sounds nice…..

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com