Okay I'd like to Help

Okay I'd like to Help

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There are a lot of casual players who seem to have given up on HoT right out of the box. It is harder content, but it’s not impossible content and indeed, HoT can be soloed.

If you’re a casual or solo player and you’d like someone to show you around and get you the lay of the land, just post below and I’ll arrange a time to meet you in game…US servers only unfortuantely.

I’ve shown a lot of people around HoT and after a bit, and while it may not entirely change your opinion of the zone, it certainly won’t hurt it.

If you’ve wanted to explore the new zones and you need a hand, hit me up. If nothing else you might gain some new perspective on a few things.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Should probably point out that food buffs, utility buffs, and those fireworks buffs are pretty nice to have for gaining xp and cheap to get (least the fireworks atm)

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: SirDerp.3520

SirDerp.3520

100% unsoloable. You will not be able to experience the majority of the content without getting on to organized maps and working together with many other players. 100% map completion is possible solo, as long as other players have already worked together so that you have access to all areas of each map (so yeah nope, not soloable).

Okay I'd like to Help

Serophous.9085

100% unsoloable. You will not be able to experience the majority of the content without getting on to organized maps and working together with many other players. 100% map completion is possible solo, as long as other players have already worked together so that you have access to all areas of each map (so yeah nope, not soloable).

I know right? God it was so annoying when i was trying to solo the map. I was doing a HP, and all of a sudden someone flew in, and I was like “Dude! I’m soloing this! Go away!” and he was like “No way dude! I need this too! So I’m helping!”. This happened to me twice so far, so I just finally said in map chat “Okay dorks! I’m going to try and solo this HP here, but since none of you dweebs can stay away, might as well come and ruin it awhile!” And they DID!

Totally way past uncool

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: SirDerp.3520

SirDerp.3520

I know right? God it was so annoying when i was trying to solo the map. I was doing a HP, and all of a sudden someone flew in, and I was like “Dude! I’m soloing this! Go away!” and he was like “No way dude! I need this too! So I’m helping!”. This happened to me twice so far, so I just finally said in map chat “Okay dorks! I’m going to try and solo this HP here, but since none of you dweebs can stay away, might as well come and ruin it awhile!” And they DID!

Totally way past uncool

Was this supposed to be funny? Because compared to core Tyria maps, there isn’t a single thing you can “solo” in the HoT maps. You have no trouble roaming around core Tyria completing smaller events, hearts, and HP’s on your own. It’s not possible in HoT. You have to organize with other players. You can not stumble around alone like the OP is stating.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

Playing HOT solo is not really a huge problem for most class but, getting things done is impossible unless you are on organized map. And the layoffs were designed with a zerg army in mind.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Okay I'd like to Help

Serophous.9085

Totally way past uncool

Was this supposed to be funny? Because compared to core Tyria maps, there isn’t a single thing you can “solo” in the HoT maps. You have no trouble roaming around core Tyria completing smaller events, hearts, and HP’s on your own. It’s not possible in HoT. You have to organize with other players. You can not stumble around alone like the OP is stating.

Dude I know! I am totally agreeing with you! I wanted harder content that I can totally solo by myself, and other players keep getting in my way! I mean, c’mon! I even ask in map chat and they still ruin my solo experience!

And here the OP is trying to increase that rate of ruining it by having people group up? Man, so bogus it hurts

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Please take your derailing elsewhere. It’s not warranted in this thread.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

OP’s offer was with the intention of helping people… curious that it has been decoded as a statement of soloability. Seriously, guys… plenty of those threads elsewhere. =/

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Eddie Mo.7169

Eddie Mo.7169

Totally way past uncool

Best response I have ever read in a forum.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Eddie Mo.7169

Eddie Mo.7169

OP’s offer was with the intention of helping people… curious that it has been decoded as a statement of soloability. Seriously, guys… plenty of those threads elsewhere. =/

To be fair it’s really just one guy trying to undermine OPs philosophies. OP says its solo able and is willing to teach. Dude comes in saying no without even trying to learn.

Only one guy, not guys.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Totally way past uncool

omg, I literally lol for like 5 minutes, would totally upvote you if we have that feature.

But on serious note I can relate with you too, it’s so terrible that these random people always come in and ruin my solo experience. I mean I have dat mad skills and tried to solo Tarir and people just keep come in and I was like why you bunch of terrible people ruining my solo experience dude I have to solo all HoT content . People these days smh.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Thanks for the generous offer, Vayne. If I ever decide to buy, I’ll message you.

As to the off-topic discussion… it may be off topic, but at least it’s a bump. Positive threads tend to fall down pretty quick.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I wonder which profession those players that find no content in HoT soloable are using. I’m a casual player with no idea of how traits and stats work, yet I haven’t had a hard time in HoT.

It is true that the bigger events…well, as the content is pretty new, most events, have other players around often, but, as for most mobs, HP, Vistas, etc., I don’t seem to need anyone. Though, of course, I never chase others away if they happen to join in the fun. =)

Maybe, these players are only referring to Dragon’s Stand, because I’ve not spent a ton of time in there, yet. Just a few hours.

Okay I'd like to Help

Vayne.8563

Okay to clarify, soloable means I can run around the zone solo and get stuff done. It does mean sometimes having to wait for backup at a hero point, but for the most part, I can run solo through that zone, and even beat some events solo. I tried soloing on maps that were closing and not volunteering. It works just fine. I’ve done it on ranger, necro, guardian and mesmer so far.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

What does casual mean though, what is it that makes it unpleasant for casuals? Do you want to facetank mobs till they die? Now we have to use more of our skillbars compared to core tyria autoattacking i swung a sword, hey i swung a sword again!. Isnt it a fresh breath of air experiencing something new, the jungle is scary, and if u better yourself you can overcome most parts of it. Find other casuals to roam around with.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Okay I'd like to Help

Vayne.8563

What does casual mean though, what is it that makes it unpleasant for casuals? Do you want to facetank mobs till they die? Now we have to use more of our skillbars compared to core tyria autoattacking i swung a sword, hey i swung a sword again!. Isnt it a fresh breath of air experiencing something new, the jungle is scary, and if u better yourself you can overcome most parts of it. Find other casuals to roam around with.

Not everyone has the same skill set. There are people in my guild in their 60s and the core game is sometimes challenging for them.

Hell, I’m 53 and I’ve worked some very competitive jobs in my life. My competitive days are over. I play games, generally, to relax. I’m good at them, but very often, yes, I want something easy and relaxing. I don’t have anything left to prove.

That said, I don’t mind the challenge when I’m immersed and having fun, which I definitely am in HoT. Which is why I’m offering help to people who might not have the same experiences I do.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Eh, have a friendly bump.

Maybe hopefully some of the people complaining will take you up on the offer instead of being the stereotypical keyboard warrior.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Sure – show me how to solo my way to the electric wyvern and tiger pet.

Thanks.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Not everyone has the same skill set. There are people in my guild in their 60s and the core game is sometimes challenging for them.

Hell, I’m 53 and I’ve worked some very competitive jobs in my life. My competitive days are over. I play games, generally, to relax. I’m good at them, but very often, yes, I want something easy and relaxing. I don’t have anything left to prove.

That said, I don’t mind the challenge when I’m immersed and having fun, which I definitely am in HoT. Which is why I’m offering help to people who might not have the same experiences I do.

Those are good points, all of us gets older in time. Voicing opinion is good as there are many playertypes Anet wants to cater to.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Okay I'd like to Help

Vayne.8563

Thanks.

I’m sorry perhaps you’re having trouble following the conversation. No one said every single aspect of HoT was something you could solo. I never said it. Anet never said it. However, the complaints are often people who find the zone too hard.

Trying to derail the thread with your bias, because you want a specific reward you know to be all the way at the end of the line doesn’t add to the conversation.

In fact, you’ve missed the entire point of the thread.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Plyply.8621

Plyply.8621

I don’t mind harder content. It’s the gated content that bothers me. That HP in SW Auric Basin, gated behind leyline gliding. Got it today thanks to a kind Mesmer soul. Would of taken me a few more weeks of mindless event and or mob grinding.

BTW, I’m 45 and still going strong, I work entirely too much though, but it is what it is. If I had mindless hours to burn maybe all this gated stuff wouldn’t bother me soo much.

Okay I'd like to Help

Vayne.8563

I don’t mind harder content. It’s the gated content that bothers me. That HP in SW Auric Basin, gated behind leyline gliding. Got it today thanks to a kind Mesmer soul. Would of taken me a few more weeks of mindless event and or mob grinding.

BTW, I’m 45 and still going strong, I work entirely too much though, but it is what it is. If I had mindless hours to burn maybe all this gated stuff wouldn’t bother me soo much.

Yep that’s a completely different issue. I was pretty clear in the OP. There are lots of places you can post about gating. But that doesn’t have anything to do with what I’m talking about.

I’ve seen lots of complaints from people who solo, or who are casual, that just keep dying and can’t figure out where to go, and who get frustrated.

I can’t do anything about the gating, but I can certainly help people learn how to survive the zone and get around in it.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

nice of you vayne, lets hope people stop derailing this thread any further.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Plyply.8621

Plyply.8621

It has everything to do with it. You can Show people the maps so to speak, but once they live the mastery debacle, well…. Look at the vast majority of complaint threads.
You’re looking at the trees but ignoring the forest.

Okay I'd like to Help

Vayne.8563

It has everything to do with it. You can Show people the maps so to speak, but once they live the mastery debacle, well…. Look at the vast majority of complaint threads.
You’re looking at the trees but ignoring the forest.

Dude, there are people who didn’t complain at all about mastery grind who did complain about HOT being to hard. It’s very easy to see that there are two separate complants.

In fact, you’re so focused on one tree, you can’t see the forest at all.

There are complaints about several things.

1. Small guilds have lost functionality they previously had and feel disenfranchised
2. People who think masteries is nothing but a grind.
3. People who solo and are casual and find HoT too hard.
4. People who don’t like jumping puzzle type stuff.

I’m specifically talking to and about people who are complaining the game is too hard. I am obviously not addressing people who can do the content who are complaining about the grind.

Not everyone who thinks it’s too hard is going to think it’s a grind. In fact, if you look in those complaint about grind threads, you’ll find about as many people saying it’s not a grind as people who are saying it is one.

I can see the forest just fine. You’re far too focused on one tree mate.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

That’s a nice offer, a guildie did it for me and kinda went beyond duty by taking me to all HP points ….we end up going all the way to Dragon Stands and fighting the big lizard :o …. had fun and didn’t feel hard at all… your offer is more like “I will teach you how to play, right?” .. wish I had had that one… took me a bit to realize about the tiers things and day time/ night time … how to reach the bosses (canopy) etc… …it’s easy if you watch videos and guides … but never liked those, …like to discover things by myself and have the sense of marvel when I discover some secret passage leading to a chest (like the ones before waterfalls etc in core) …

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Okay I'd like to Help

Vayne.8563

That’s a nice offer, a guildie did it for me and kinda went beyond duty by taking me to all HP points ….we end up going all the way to Dragon Stands and fighting the big lizard :o …. had fun and didn’t feel hard at all… your offer is more like “I will teach you how to play, right?” .. wish I had had that one… took me a bit to realize about the tiers things and day time/ night time … how to reach the bosses (canopy) etc… …it’s easy if you watch videos and guides … but never liked those, …like to discover things by myself and have the sense of marvel when I discover some secret passage leading to a chest (like the ones before waterfalls etc in core) …

I’ve taken a number of people through the new zone already from my guild. There are a few who didn’t like it or get it, but as we continued, they began to get the hang of it and started having actual fun.

That’s why I made the offer.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Vayne’s offer is a good one.

I suspect many folks first HoT experience was like mine. You go in there on your own, following the story which quickly abandons you with “earn gliding to continue”. So you need XP but struggle to find much, because the first mobs you meet are way too strong and because you can’t find your way round the map to unlock stuff, not to mention the many different ways to die by falling off stuff. Then an event starts so you start following a random player, only for him to bounce out of sight on a mushroom you can’t use yet. Somewhere else a player jumps off a ledge and glides out of your reach. All very exciting but not earning you any XP. Then you find some plants you can’t use and some stuff you can’t open and then, just when you are feeling really useless, you get mullered by a midget dressed in a mushroom outfit. And no-one rezzes you. Welcome to HoT, have a nice day hehe.

I suspect there might be quite a few players yet to earn enough HoT XP for that first gliding ability.

Okay I'd like to Help

kuritsutian.2987

I suspect many folks first HoT experience was like mine. You go in there on your own, following the story which quickly abandons you with “earn gliding to continue”. So you need XP but struggle to find much, because the first mobs you meet are way too strong and because you can’t find your way round the map to unlock stuff, not to mention the many different ways to die by falling off stuff. Then an event starts so you start following a random player, only for him to bounce out of sight on a mushroom you can’t use yet. Somewhere else a player jumps off a ledge and glides out of your reach. All very exciting but not earning you any XP. Then you find some plants you can’t use and some stuff you can’t open and then, just when you are feeling really useless, you get mullered by a midget dressed in a mushroom outfit. And no-one rezzes you. Welcome to HoT, have a nice day hehe.

I suspect there might be quite a few players yet to earn enough HoT XP for that first gliding ability.

I would try to help them how to get the first “doable” mastery point… by burning branches… there’s an easy way and is to go top right away to a “secret” location … but yeah, sadly most of the time is unavailable due to meta events

Okay I'd like to Help

Vayne.8563

I would try to help them how to get the first “doable” mastery point… by burning branches… there’s an easy way and is to go top right away to a “secret” location … but yeah, sadly most of the time is unavailable due to meta events

Actually that’s not how I’d help them. You get your first mastery point from doing the intro story. Then you can finish leveling that to get the gliding. I help them by showing them the creatures they’ll face and how to beat them. Two easy examples (there are others).

Smokescales are hard for some players. They keep missing them forever, because they’re trying to fight them in the blinding smoke field. By moving out of the field, you can hit the smokescale and kill it. In fact, they’re very easy to kill, because they’re essentially glass canons.

Modrem snipers are similar in that they die very quickly. The problem is they also do a lot of damage. However, their most devestating attack puts a target over your head. As soon as you see that target, start moving sideways. They shoot a straight line at where you are, but if you’re moving sideways you’re not there by the time the shot hits you.

Stuff like that is how you teach people how to survive.

Once they have gliding unlocked they can do more story which gives them more mastery points. In fact, just by doing story you have enough mastery points to progress through the story.

The real issue for a lot of people is simply surviving. Understanding how the outposts work. Understanding the day/night cycle. Understanding the 3d structure of the jungle. Learning how to upgrade outposts.

And learning relatively efficient ways to level those early masteries quickly to make it easier to get around and survive.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Freygea.3620

Freygea.3620

I am posting here to bookmark this . I am only level 46 so am not ready for HOT but would very much appreciate the help if you are still available when I do reach that area.

Very nice of you to help others.

Okay I'd like to Help

Vayne.8563

I am posting here to bookmark this . I am only level 46 so am not ready for HOT but would very much appreciate the help if you are still available when I do reach that area.

Very nice of you to help others.

If you need help prior to HoT with something, or have questions, feel free to whisper me in game. Lots of people do.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Thanks.

Dragon’s stand is nothing but a zergfest. Literally the only coordination required is splitting the zerg during the blighting pod phase. Join a populated map, pick a lane, and zerg your way to victory.

I farm the DS meta for mastery exp.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Okay I'd like to Help

Vayne.8563

Thanks.

Dragon’s stand is nothing but a zergfest. Literally the only coordination required is splitting the zerg during the blighting pod phase. Join a populated map, pick a lane, and zerg your way to victory.

I farm the DS meta for mastery exp.

I think he’s referring more to the mastery requirement. Fortunately it can easily be bypassed by a mesmer.

Okay I'd like to Help

DoctorDing.5890

I agree that mastery points are not the problem in early HoT. Figuring out how to earn the XP that goes with them is the first problem you face. It feels like you can’t get anywhere and can’t kill anything. It could really do with a more gentle intro to encourage people to delve deeper.

If it was up to me I’d populate the first parts of VB with much easier mobs so players can explore a bit, unlock a couple of way points and generally get a feel for how the map works. Plenty of room later on for the brutal mobs.

Okay I'd like to Help

Vayne.8563

There aren’t enough zones to gradually ramp up really. The one thing Anet did do was take the earliest hero point you can get once you have gliding and change the champ to a veteran. They also changed some of the champ points to communes and got rid of the champ. It’s not much but it’s something.

On the other hand, half the battle is knowing where you are and where you’re going. Because it’s hard to fight if you don’t have a destination to get to. It just feels like you’re reading water with nothing to do.

Again, I’m always happy to help people. All they have to do is let me.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

That’s awful nice of you to offer to help others learn the area Vayne. I haven’t seen any takers yet but if you need a co-helper and I’m on, contact me in game. I’m not great at the game, but at least I don’t die too often. ^^

(My Rev’s name is Smallmedium Atlarge)

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Okay I'd like to Help

DoctorDing.5890

I’d love to know how many HoT owners have not yet got gliding, because I think it might be quite a few.

Okay I'd like to Help

Vayne.8563

That’s awful nice of you to offer to help others learn the area Vayne. I haven’t seen any takers yet but if you need a co-helper and I’m on, contact me in game. I’m not great at the game, but at least I don’t die too often. ^^

(My Rev’s name is Smallmedium Atlarge)

Will do. I’ve always said it’s better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness. It’s time I put my money where my mouth is.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

Vayne, I love that you are doing this. I’ve said in multiple threads now that it feels like a significant number of players gave up on HoT before they really even got started because they decided it was too hard.

I’m no HoT expert by any means, but if there’s anything I can do to help you help others, I’d love to participate.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

Umm, actually for that AB hero point you dont need ley line gliding or portal. If you look carefully there is a Nohoch wallow.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: disneyrich.3901

disneyrich.3901

Vayne, I love that you are doing this. I’ve said in multiple threads now that it feels like a significant number of players gave up on HoT before they really even got started because they decided it was too hard.

I’m no HoT expert by any means, but if there’s anything I can do to help you help others, I’d love to participate.

This is a nice thing to do. I am in this guild with Vayne, and there were many times it is announced we will go run some HPs for those that need it. We are all on mumble talking and laughing , sharing tips and/or explaining something about the game.

Although I understand the many reasons why we might not want to get on teamspeak, or rely on others. But it really can be more enjoyable with others as we can accomplish more together then solo. Heck,we even did the 5 bounty the other day within the time limit with time to spare. Part of that is due to a fellow guildie with the uncanny knack of zoning in and finding a bounty within 10 seconds.

It is OK to ask for help, as many do enjoy helping. Just have to find the right groups of people .

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Shrimpkin.4851

Shrimpkin.4851

I haven’t done too badly in AB, VB is another story and I haven’t even been in the other two maps. I tend to run around on my own most of the time, not because I’m super awesome at the game (I’m not) but because everyone I used to play with has left. So if you’d be willing to follow along with a Ranger who’s terrible at jumping, gliding, dies on a regular basis and swears like there’s no tomorrow I’d appreciate the help. If only to take care of the kitten pocket raptors that murder me in seconds. I hate those kittening things.

I’m not anti-social, I’m selectively social. There’s a difference.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

I haven’t done too badly in AB, VB is another story and I haven’t even been in the other two maps. I tend to run around on my own most of the time, not because I’m super awesome at the game (I’m not) but because everyone I used to play with has left. So if you’d be willing to follow along with a Ranger who’s terrible at jumping, gliding, dies on a regular basis and swears like there’s no tomorrow I’d appreciate the help. If only to take care of the kitten pocket raptors that murder me in seconds. I hate those kittening things.

I haven’t played ranger in the expansion, but I suspect having a Wyvern pet would make dealing with pocket raptors or mushrooms much simpler.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Shrimpkin.4851

Shrimpkin.4851

I haven’t played ranger in the expansion, but I suspect having a Wyvern pet would make dealing with pocket raptors or mushrooms much simpler.

Looks like I’m hunting for pets today then. Here’s hoping it helps.

I’m not anti-social, I’m selectively social. There’s a difference.

Okay I'd like to Help

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Looks like I’m hunting for pets today then. Here’s hoping it helps.

The Smokescale’s evades makes it very tanky. You could try for that one if you have that area.

Video of ranger pet locations

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Okay I'd like to Help

Swift.1930

Too true! In Maguuma, it’s I swung my sword, I swung my sword again, I swung my sword again, I swung my sword again, I swung my sword again, I swung my sword again, I swung my sword again, I swung my sword again, come on… still not dead?

Followed by wait… I was full health and I dodged! How’d that Axemaster insta-down me?

But seriously, I don’t mind the new maps that much. I still end up using only one or two skills most of the time (it’s only my health bar that prevents me from soloing most content), but the Mordrem fights are usually interesting.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Okay I'd like to Help

kuritsutian.2987

Too true! In Maguuma, it’s I swung my sword, I swung my sword again, I swung my sword again, I swung my sword again, I swung my sword again, I swung my sword again, I swung my sword again, I swung my sword again, come on… still not dead?

Followed by wait… I was full health and I dodged! How’d that Axemaster insta-down me?

lol that’s cause you’ve been doing nothing but swinging the sword, kinda need defensive skills sometimes :P

Okay I'd like to Help

Swift.1930

lol that’s cause you’ve been doing nothing but swinging the sword, kinda need defensive skills sometimes :P

Well… if it’s the axemaster you’re talking about, I’ve tried jumping, dodging, blocking, gliding, reflecting… haven’t gone online in search of a way to stop being downed yet (because there has to be some way to figure it out in-game), but seriously… I don’t understand this mechanic. If he dropped us to 1 hp, I’d be able to cope. I built up my stacks and I guarded them jealously until he cheated…

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian