One thing to expect at launch...

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I feel I should throw this out there, because for some reason it always seems to catch people by surprise.

When HoT launches, despite the beta weekend events to help iron out such issues, there will be bugs. There will be lots of bugs, some of them may even be game breaking. This is an inevitable occurrence, and should be expected by every single player in the game. At the time of launch ANet will have ironed out every one that they are aware of, but as we should all know by now there will be things that appear on the live servers that can’t and won’t show up on their test servers.

These should not be considered ANet’s fault. These should not be considered an insult to the player base. That being said, there will be people who will think otherwise. They will be angry, either because of their initial excitement or because they’re arrogant and self-entitled perfectionists that have no idea what goes into the development of such games as Guild Wars 2.

Temper your excitement and your expectations.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Never play on patch day.

On top of that, Halloween patch falls on the same day. That is a recepie for disaster.

Finaly, I’m sure there will be some bugs that allow for exploitation and great personal gain. Anet are well known for dealing with this kind of abuse in the past. The excuse:“It’s a bug, I didn’t know!” while doing something obviously overrewarding does not fly with them. People have been banned in the past (not temp but perma banned). So I expect a lot of that to be going around again.

We will have to wait and see.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I always get a bit worried when I see folks who are planning to take the day off work on a launch day. If you are not undone by server lag/overload you are highly likely to be undone by bugs and glitches. As stated above, they can do all the beta testing in the world but nothing can prepare the system for first contact with hundreds of thousands of eager and excited players. Some will be seeking exploits, some will do the quests in the “wrong” order or log out are the “wrong” time and some will insist on climbing all over the new scenery and getting stuck in the tiniest of cracks.

We’re all lovely but we’re just so darned unpredictable….

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Nope. The slightest bit of lag, disconnect, or stutter, stalled event or uncompletable story,anet has failed us and must bend to the woes and whims of our anger and demands.

Just because you’re located on the moon now doesn’t make you all high and mighty

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

We also have no idea as to WHEN it will go live. It could be at 9am PST or it could be 5pm PST. If it was just the Halloween stuff it would be around Noon PST but the expansion is added in there also to go live so definite time has been announced.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Not expecting it to be fully playable that Friday, but I won’t be able to play Saturday so I hope it will at least be somewhat playable otherwise I have to wait until Sunday to do anything.

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

I agee. I also think it is cute that you think by launch day anet will have ironed out any bug they are aware off.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

This is simply just a reminder to all Gw2 community.

Upon HoT release on the 23rd, expect lots of Bugs across the board. Nothing new. So be gentle when it happens. No need to over flood the forum with layers of salt. & i should know, i’m an expert salt layer myself.

We all know The dev are working on it to fix any problems asap.

So give em a chance. Save the salt for later..

Have fun guys.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

HoT can have as many bugs as it wants. I plan on having my buttox firmly lodged within the labyrinth and/or the dungeon for the duration of Halloween. I hope by then the bugs will have been all sorted, so long as some players, unlike myself, actually go into the jungle.

(edited by Tommyknocker.6089)

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

Never play on Release Day.

Fixed it for you.

To be honest, the Release Day will be unplayable, it has happened with other MMOs in the Past and it will happen in the Future, its somethinh normal in the MMO Genre ( which is sad )

Posted by: ReiCH.6273

ReiCH.6273

It’s funny how the white knighting started even before launch?

it’s gonna be that bad huh?

you know what’s also funny? the fact that you don’t have the same attitude when you buy any other product. “Oh it’s a new tv honey, you didn’t expect it to work perfectly right out of the box now, did you?” or “It’s a new car mate, of course the break won’t work all the time, trust me they’ll fix it”. “It’s a new airplaine, obviously some models will crash, don’t you know not to fly when a new airplane comes online?”

HoT is a product, as all products it should do what it says in the box, so to speak. You’re not calling ppl who expect their tvs to work as adverntised entitled perfectionists, you call them informed and responsible consumers. It’s time to become one yourself. Maybe that way, when they promise you new legendaries, you’ll actually get ’em in the projected timeframe, and not three years later.

My 2c

In most games, Casuals are the majority. In GW2, Casuals are the game. Azumi.9572

Cyninja.2954

you know what’s also funny? the fact that you don’t have the same attitude when you buy any other product. “Oh it’s a new tv honey, you didn’t expect it to work perfectly right out of the box now, did you?” or “It’s a new car mate, of course the break won’t work all the time, trust me they’ll fix it”. “It’s a new airplaine, obviously some models will crash, don’t you know not to fly when a new airplane comes online?”

HoT is a product, as all products it should do what it says in the box, so to speak. You’re not calling ppl who expect their tvs to work as adverntised entitled perfectionists, you call them informed and responsible consumers. It’s time to become one yourself. Maybe that way, when they promise you new legendaries, you’ll actually get ’em in the projected timeframe, and not three years later.

My 2c

Tell that to the software industry. While at it, change the expectations of customers for early releases and a set price.

You know what would fix all those problems? Double the price in software prices and the developement length. But guess who is going to be on the complaining end again?

Stating facts (based on past expriences) is not white-knighting, especially if the entire industry works that way. And a software which has to run on a bazillion different systems is no car that you mass produce. While speaking of cars, how does that VW crisis treat your “all products it should do what it says in the box” hypothesis? Grow up and join is in reality land.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Thank you Vieux P. I’m glad I’m not the only one with the common sense to know this. I posted on this very same topic earlier

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

This is like throwing a thimble of water on a raging inferno, it doesn’t matter how many times people are told they will still lose their minds. It will be non stop excuses as to why Anet should be 100% bug free.

Its good to see some people understand but there will still be a large amount of people freaking out over the littlest things. Best to just grab some popcorn and read some of the entertaining posts that will pop up. My favorites are when players start explaining how different games launched flawlessly, because that has ever happened.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

While speaking of cars, how does that VW crisis treat your “all products it should do what it says in the box” hypothesis?

VW’s product didn’t do, “what it says in the box,” and it cost people their jobs while the company is looking at financial repercussions in the billions of dollars.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

It’s a terrific reminder, but yeah, I’m gonna be shocked if there isn’t plenty of drama queen parties on the forum come next week’s release day.

Posted by: Alin.2468

Alin.2468

I personally do not care about bugs. I will be playing Halloween labirinth with PvP reward track. During this time of Halloween events (2 weeks) things will settle down with patches, bugs will be removed, and HoT will become more playable.

This is the best elementalist build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh5zjK7ITpQ

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

My 2c

“White Knighting”

I don’t think you know what that means….

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

some will insist on climbing all over the new scenery and getting stuck in the tiniest of cracks.

Ya called me?

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Wryscher.1432

My 2c

Tell that to the software industry. While at it, change the expectations of customers for early releases and a set price.

You know what would fix all those problems? Double the price in software prices and the developement length. But guess who is going to be on the complaining end again?

Stating facts (based on past expriences) is not white-knighting, especially if the entire industry works that way. And a software which has to run on a bazillion different systems is no car that you mass produce. While speaking of cars, how does that VW crisis treat your “all products it should do what it says in the box” hypothesis? Grow up and join is in reality land.

How far in the past? The last time I played a major mmo that was unplayable the day an expansion launched because of bugs? WoWs first expansion.

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure there will be bugs and things that need fixed. But if the game is unplayable, I don’t know how you would call it anything then an utter failure of an expansion launch.

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

i’ll still play patch day but imma wait out the HoT rush by playing in halloweens arch for the time being and seeing what they did with the place after the redesign. after the holiday and it all goes away is when i’ll probably make my rev and start his journey for world completion.

“Happy halla… hullo… halla… happy candy day!

Posted by: symke.3105

symke.3105

I feel I should throw this out there, because for some reason it always seems to catch people by surprise.

When HoT launches, despite the beta weekend events to help iron out such issues, there will be bugs. There will be lots of bugs, some of them may even be game breaking. This is an inevitable occurrence, and should be expected by every single player in the game. At the time of launch ANet will have ironed out every one that they are aware of, but as we should all know by now there will be things that appear on the live servers that can’t and won’t show up on their test servers.

These should not be considered ANet’s fault. These should not be considered an insult to the player base. That being said, there will be people who will think otherwise. They will be angry, either because of their initial excitement or because they’re arrogant and self-entitled perfectionists that have no idea what goes into the development of such games as Guild Wars 2.

Fair point, OP. You are right when you say we should expect bugs. After all, we are all more or less experienced gamers and we’ve seen it happen numerous times.
But, to be fair, I also think you are seriously overestimating Anet capabilities. They most certainly will not fix all bugs they know of. They can’t, they don’t need to and they won’t.

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

The spike in traffic will be the real test for the server farm. Hopefully the core game runs on a different clusters. Even if HoT bugged out, we could play the elite spec on old contents.

Cyninja.2954

While speaking of cars, how does that VW crisis treat your “all products it should do what it says in the box” hypothesis?

VW’s product didn’t do, “what it says in the box,” and it cost people their jobs while the company is looking at financial repercussions in the billions of dollars.

Ahem, yes. That was the point I was making. Did you even read what I wrote?

Cyninja.2954

My 2c

How far in the past? The last time I played a major mmo that was unplayable the day an expansion launched because of bugs? WoWs first expansion.

Don’t get me wrong I’m sure there will be bugs and things that need fixed. But if the game is unplayable, I don’t know how you would call it anything then an utter failure of an expansion launch.

You must not have been playing many MMOs in the last few years then. I can barely remember one that did not launch with severe bugs or problems on release.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My 2c

WoW last expansion had enough problems that people couldn’t log on. Some of that was not Blizzard’s fault because of a DDOS attack, but some was where they had large numbers of the expansion sold but apparently did not prepare the servers for the numbers. They ended up having to give free game time after people waited in login queues for hours. Reportedly some people couldn’t log on for days. WoD Launch Update Repost

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I predict the biggest examples of forum rage will be from those that are not playing HoT but who still get fairly frequent interruptions from the inevitable “new build available” messages", even if they do not own HoT. I think that Halloween, the core game and the expansion will all be running on the same set of servers from the same set of data files and that overloads, lag and updates will affect everyone. I’ve seen a few folks say stuff like "as long as it doesn’t affect the core game " or “I’ll be playing Halloween so I’ll avoid those problems.” I’m not sure that will be the case.

But it will settle down soon enough. Maybe we should have some awards:

- First rage post
- Pettiest complaint
- Best sustained rant
- Highest number of new threads on the same subject by the same person
- Fastest moderation response
- Most polite complaint
- Best non-repetitive kitten chain

And yes, I agree as consumers we should not accept imperfect software but the fact is that we do. It’s just how it is.

Posted by: Inverse.2967

Inverse.2967

Playing on patch day is actually fun. You never ever get to see so many fun things explode throughout the entirety of a typical game expansion.
So rejoice and go bug huntin’, its fun, you just need to be mentally and emotionally prepared for it :P

Wryscher.1432

My 2c

WoW last expansion had enough problems that people couldn’t log on. Some of that was not Blizzard’s fault because of a DDOS attack, but some was where they had large numbers of the expansion sold but apparently did not prepare the servers for the numbers. They ended up having to give free game time after people waited in login queues for hours. Reportedly some people couldn’t log on for days. WoD Launch Update Repost

And that was a massive failure on their part wasnt it? Or is that ok? That they werent properly prepared? They had the numbers but decided it was ok because the hype will die down in a few days? Sounds like a massive failure to me.

Wryscher.1432

My 2c

You must not have been playing many MMOs in the last few years then. I can barely remember one that did not launch with severe bugs or problems on release.

Agreed. On release. This isnt release. This is an expansion. Or by some standards a very large update. They arent the same thing.

Cyninja.2954

My 2c

Agreed. On release. This isnt release. This is an expansion. Or by some standards a very large update. They arent the same thing.

Now you are fishing, but fine.

As was pointed out even WoW (as did SW:TOR, ES:O and let’s not forget FF14) had severe issues with their last expansion. Want to make a guess at how much bigger the WoW team and budget is over that of GW2 and Arenanet?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My 2c

And that was a massive failure on their part wasnt it? Or is that ok? That they werent properly prepared? They had the numbers but decided it was ok because the hype will die down in a few days? Sounds like a massive failure to me.

Yah that was the point of my post to you, responding to your question How far in the past? to say, not very far and not that unusual for even big companies with big budgets to have problems on the first days of an expansion.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

My 2c

you realise threre is a very good reason why a lot of people wont buy first generation hardware? for this exact reason, so yes people do have the same attitude towards other products…

Posted by: ZERONIX.5873

ZERONIX.5873

I fully expect bugs lag and patch fixes the first 72 hours. I will log on create my Revenant and play through Metrica Province. No gaming mmo has ever had a perfect launch. . The great news is we have had 3 test betas we have had plenty of test run. We will play when we can and expect delays. The angry players expecting perfection need to take a chill pill and relax. In the words of Anger Managment with Adam Sandler sing I feel pretty.

(edited by ZERONIX.5873)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

It seemed as if you were questioning the validity of the, “all products it should do what it says in the box” hypothesis?" When the VW situation supports that concept. A company failed to abide by the concept and is facing hefty penalties for that failure.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I always get a bit worried when I see folks who are planning to take the day off work on a launch day. If you are not undone by server lag/overload you are highly likely to be undone by bugs and glitches. As stated above, they can do all the beta testing in the world but nothing can prepare the system for first contact with hundreds of thousands of eager and excited players. Some will be seeking exploits, some will do the quests in the “wrong” order or log out are the “wrong” time and some will insist on climbing all over the new scenery and getting stuck in the tiniest of cracks.

We’re all lovely but we’re just so darned unpredictable….

Oh, I plan on taking the day off next Friday. Not just because of all the newness but because I am ahead of schedule right now so need to burn some vacay anyways.

While I will be in-world a lot that day it will be so I can do Halloween stuff. Sure, HOT will be worth a glance, but I will let all the unwilling testers fly into the dragon’s teeth.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

We also have no idea as to WHEN it will go live. It could be at 9am PST or it could be 5pm PST. If it was just the Halloween stuff it would be around Noon PST but the expansion is added in there also to go live so definite time has been announced.

They said it will be 12:01 AM PST.

Posted by: Sidenti.6035

Sidenti.6035

I’ve played Goat Simulator.

Bring the bugs. None will compare to the stuff I’ve seen there. -Sid

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

They said it will be 12:01 AM PST.

At the time I wrote that they had NOT come out with the time ……..

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Oh… so you are saying it’s actually ok to set a release date and release a completely broken product?

Because it is not.

The industry is merely lazy and spoiled because they can just patch it up if it’s broken.
“Arrogant self-entitled perfectionists” who might be working in fields where you actually have to make a working product by your deadline not a heap of bugs you can patch up later.

Those other industries have deadlines too, but they cannot afford to mess around with their products. It’s all about organization and Anet seems to have the organization level of a ball of yarn.

Cyninja.2954

It seemed as if you were questioning the validity of the, “all products it should do what it says in the box” hypothesis?" When the VW situation supports that concept. A company failed to abide by the concept and is facing hefty penalties for that failure.

Oh I was questioning the validity, and no it does not support the concept. Just because VW is getting pummeled this big media wise does not mean this concept is valid. What about GM who willingly killed off hundreds of people and got away with a couple of millions in damage, or Toyota? If you don’t think part of this media reaction is political… Companies cheat and fluff up their products all the time. I didn’t even start on Microsoft or Apple or Google products which too are mostly software in nature.

The VW situation proves that in reality, not every product does what is labeled on the box. The reasons for this being as deep as cheating customers. Multiple other poster have given their own examples following that post as to why many people wait with purchases.

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I already know what to expect on launch day. This:

When everybody tries to log into the game at once.

Now, as much as I love the game, I have no intention of getting up at 3 AM my time to take part in the festivities. Hopefully the growing pains will have subsided by the time I get settled in to play on Friday.

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server