Only black quaggans in Bitterfrost

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

There are many types of quaggans in this game. But why is it that only black quaggans are found in Bitterfrost? From the dialogue of the NPC quaggans, they seem to be a lot tougher than the quaggans of the south. Are the black quaggans more like a warrior race? It’s like the killer whale look is a subtle hint that black quaggans aren’t pushovers.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

It’s to cold for the other quaggans – only black ones absorb enough sunlight to stay warm

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe they started off as different colors and they are black because their skin is frostbitten.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

“Black Quaggan” – good name for a British real ale, or maybe an artisan cheese…

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Imperial Stout, no doubt.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

It’s to cold for the other quaggans – only black ones absorb enough sunlight to stay warm

That was my first thought as well.

But, some genetic traits can be linked to each other. It’s possible that the black skin/hide trait is also linked to something that makes the skin thicker, or something else that helps them to survive better up there.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Theyre based on the arctic orca. The colorful quaggans are based on tropic fishies. Temperature issues. Quaggans cant survive in each others waters

Tiefsee.3647

That was my first thought as well.

But, some genetic traits can be linked to each other. It’s possible that the black skin/hide trait is also linked to something that makes the skin thicker, or something else that helps them to survive better up there.

It couöd also be a bottleneck situation, at one point many quaggan died at random numbers and just a few survived, now all got their traits – and one could be black – but more likely a combination of both

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The fifth stanza of the Quaggan poem appears to indicate an explanation

5 — The cold wind froze patches of the quaggan’s skin. Boo!
— And turned it a mottled black and frosty hue.

Having only found that one, I haven’t got full context.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Just for the fun of it (and ignoring the fact that they’re just colored like orcas), from a biological perspective most fish and other marine animals who live in the upper part of the body of water have the upper half of their bodies dark-colored, and the lower half – light-colored or white. That is something they have evolved in order to hide from predators. When a predator (such as a fishing bird) looks down on the fish, it’s difficult to spot because the upper half is dark like the water. When a predator looks up on the same fish during the day, it’s also difficult to spot because the bottom half is light-colored amid the sunlight illuminating the water.

We know that regular quaggans used to live deep in the water until krait displaced them (let’s just ignore the fact that they appear to be mammals and mammals can’t breathe in water like fish), then judging by the coloration we can theorize that Bitterfrost quaggans live in shallow waters, and therefore possess the coloration that makes them more difficult to spot.

Tiefsee.3647

Quaggans aren’t mammals, i saved way to many quaggan eggs to believe they are mammals!

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Quaggans aren’t mammals, i saved way to many quaggan eggs to believe they are mammals!

I always assumed they were oviparous mammals like the platypus, but yeah, good point.

(edited by Ariurotl.3718)

Tiefsee.3647

I always assumed they were oviparous mammals like the platypus, but yeah, good point.

All living oviparous have also beaks, all 3 of them… i guess quaggan are a monotypic taxom, we should ask an asura…

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Platipuses lay eggs :O

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Although egglaying amniotes return to land to lay their eggs, even if they’re aquatic (see turtles, for instance), and the embryos die if the eggs are waterlogged. I think it’s because, the eggs being waterproof, they rely on gaseous exchanges across the shell to breathe.

That said, Tyria is a different world with some very alien creatures – quaggans could be a mammalian lineage that had some features regress all the way back to amphibians, or am amphibian lineage that developed mammalian characteristics without leaving the water.

With regards to the colours of the Bitterfrost Frontier quaggans… as was referenced previously, there are different branches of quaggankind that prefer different climates. The ‘killer whale’ quaggans are those that originally lived in the arctic regions before Jormag forced them south.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I am amazed that Anet has not partnered with a craft brewer to produce GW2 themed beers. Black Quaggan would be a wonderful name for an imperial stout! I believe there is one brewery producing some Game of Thrones beers. I would be interested in seeing a product like this…

Tiefsee.3647

I am amazed that Anet has not partnered with a craft brewer to produce GW2 themed beers. Black Quaggan would be a wonderful name for an imperial stout! I believe there is one brewery producing some Game of Thrones beers. I would be interested in seeing a product like this…

They should search for a grman brewery – there are many small ones, i am sure they would be a great choice

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

I’ve always thought of quaggans as more of amphibians than mammals. They seem to have closer traits.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Do Tyrian scientists recognize “mammal” as a type of animal?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m moderately sure that human male scientists have noticed that human (and Norn) females have mammaries.

ANet may give it to you.

Tiefsee.3647

They recognice dinosaures as groub – we shouldn’t ask why, just kill them – but they knew that taxom – therefore we can asume, they also know similar ones like mammalians

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Thing is, Tyria also has things like griffons which cross over between advanced representatives of clades that in the real world split over three hundred million years ago. Tyrian naturalists certainly have their own categories, but the presence of creatures that wouldn’t fit nicely into ours might mean theirs are quite different.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Tiefsee.3647

Thing is, Tyria also has things like griffons which cross over between advanced representatives of clades that in the real world split over three hundred million years ago. Tyrian naturalists certainly have their own categories, but the presence of creatures that wouldn’t fit nicely into ours might mean theirs are quite different.

Griffins clearly belong to the insects, because they have 6 limbs

Amaimon.7823

Thats not the only distinctive factor. They cant be insects because they dont have 3 torso parts that are completely seperated save by a joint connective organ.

Tiefsee.3647

Thats not the only distinctive factor. They cant be insects because they dont have 3 torso parts that are completely seperated save by a joint connective organ.

We need a vivisection, because i assume their torsos grew together, just like many beatles, for a mimikry on those existing birds and mammals and feather lije chritin structures cover those segments

Amaimon.7823

We need a vivisection, because i assume their torsos grew together, just like many beatles, for a mimikry on those existing birds and mammals and feather lije chritin structures cover those segments

Easiest method: cut one (anywhere)
Blood dark red? Haemoglobin; Vertrebrae.
Blood black or blue? Haemolypmha; Insectoid or Crustacean.

Tiefsee.3647

Easiest method: cut one (anywhere)
Blood dark red? Haemoglobin; Vertrebrae.
Blood black or blue? Haemolypmha; Insectoid or Crustacean.

I see no other option as well, since the oxigen level in tyria is way higher as on earth (evidence, the size of the other big insects) griffin-insects should be possible.

I would like to measure the efficience of tyrian algea, since those are the main producers of oxigen – i hope the deep sea dragon doesn’t change the oxigen level, once we kill it.

Also i wonder why no asura made a quest to kill/bring a specimen of every single organism in tyria for future analysis? or an sylvari with the name Linnaeus, since sylvari seem as smart or smarter as asurakind

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I’m moderately sure that human male scientists have noticed that human (and Norn) females have mammaries.

So do Sylvari females, which are not mammals, but plants.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Just a flesh wound.3589

Sylvari are mammal mimics, not mammals. Those tissues aren’t mammaries as they do not secrete milk.

There are insects that look like twigs or leaves but that doesn’t make them plants. ^^

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Sylvari are mammal mimics, not mammals. Those tissues aren’t mammaries as they do not secrete milk.

There are insects that look like twigs or leaves but that doesn’t make them plants. ^^

True, a valid point.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Tiefsee.3647

Not sure about the mimic part, since they grow out of a human gravejard – they could also be parasitical, like their closedt relatives, the mordrem – plants that grow on the body of dead (or dying) creatures, taking control of their shape and bodyfunctions

Amaimon.7823

Not sure about the mimic part, since they grow out of a human gravejard – they could also be parasitical, like their closedt relatives, the mordrem – plants that grow on the body of dead (or dying) creatures, taking control of their shape and bodyfunctions

Be sure to read up on dialogue and lore. We know the sylvari are mordrem who mimicked the human form. Ventari wrote a tablet that when followed helps one resist mordremoths call. Kinda like reading a bible helps you resist the devils call. You dont need it, but it helps.

Tiefsee.3647

Be sure to read up on dialogue and lore. We know the sylvari are mordrem who mimicked the human form. Ventari wrote a tablet that when followed helps one resist mordremoths call. Kinda like reading a bible helps you resist the devils call. You dont need it, but it helps.

Ventaris table doesn’t do that, maybe some believe it does – or say it would – but if those rules would protect, the compleate nightmare court would have turned into mordrem, but most of them had to be captured and infected with for turning

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

True, a valid point.

My point is that I haven’t seen anything in the game that indicates that Tyrian scientists divide the animal kingdom up the same way as we do. There’s a lot of arbitrariness to taxonomy, some of which makes a lot of sense in retrospect, but might not to Tyrians who might be more interested in magic-using versus non-magic animals.

As players, we pretty much only care about whether a creature is melee or ranged, has aoe attacks, causes conditions, stuns or knocks, has a breakbar, etc. We don’t much worry about how they reproduce and whether to classify them accordingly.

Anyhow, that’s all far afield from worrying about why Quaggans in Bitterfrost are differently colored from Quaggans elsewhere. I don’t find it that unusual, since it’s also true for Hylek (they sort of color-coordinate with their level of hostility and surroundings), bears (white in the snow, brown or black elsewhere), and so on.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Amaimon.7823

Ventaris table doesn’t do that, maybe some believe it does – or say it would – but if those rules would protect, the compleate nightmare court would have turned into mordrem, but most of them had to be captured and infected with for turning

You didnt read what i said. Ventari’s tablet doesnt provide an alluminum foil that protects you from mawdreys wavelength. Ventari’s tablet provides a lifestyle that helps you recognize when a thought is your own or not. Mordremoth plants memories in the mind of the sylvari, and if they have one, their dream. Thats how he gets to them. If you dont know how to seperate your own thoughts from implanted ones, you fall to the call. People who honor Ventari will have a lifestyle that helps you deal with this. People who fall to the nightmare do not have ventari’s lifestyle, but luckily, the nightmare’s lifestyle is pretty effective as theirs is the denial of servitude to all higher beings and senses of destiny.