Open World Feels Dead :(

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: webtoehobbit.4201

webtoehobbit.4201

I don’t get it, last week or so has just felt dead for maps like Auric Basin for me. Is everyone doing raids? Did raids kill open world content? I don’t get it, just feels really dead and with how HoT works, you really need groups of people to make progress on these metas.

Posted by: Malignar.6905

Malignar.6905

I have noticed this as well. If I don’t play in Verdant Brink there are not enough other players to complete events. It’s shocking how many people are gone from the open world over a few weeks ago.

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

im running non-stop Auric Basin meta, and its fine, just taxi. I crafted my Auric Greatsword, now running to craft Auric Longbow.

Posted by: foxcat.4096

foxcat.4096

New maps require a minimum amount of organization to work so everyone wanting to do events take taxis or open a taxi to their map. If you just zone into any random map there won’t be people doing events or it will be disorganized.

webtoehobbit.4201

im running non-stop Auric Basin meta, and its fine, just taxi. I crafted my Auric Greatsword, now running to craft Auric Longbow.

People taxi in for the final meta event, Tarir, but I’m trying to get map complete, and whole areas are just blocked off cause I can’t solo events and even when asking for help to complete events, no one responds.

It’s almost like Silverwastes 2.0

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

this games population is so high that theres dozens of maps open at once, just open lfg and merge because instead of maps filling on their own, it locates you to wheres best for you by guild and such and not by capacity

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

But this was always a concern; there are several threads about the sustainability of these maps.
For instance:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Unsustainable-map-design/first

It’s all very well for release hype to fill the maps, but (whether they’re empty yet or not) they’re not going to be full forever.

I could speculate that the latest visual nerfs (coupled with all the other legitimate and non-legitimate complaints) have pushed people into playing prettier games, but that’d purely be speculation.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

webtoehobbit.4201

It just depresses me, I want to love this game, I want to log in and feel like it’s viable to do something other than raids since I’m one of those “tryhards”/“filthy casual” and raids aren’t really my cup of tea at the moment. (although it feels like that’s what they’re trying to shoehorn everyone into, gut dungeons and then put those rewards basically in raids since fractals rewards are borked, but that’s an entire other discussion)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Not having any issues in Auric or DS. Verdant is suffering from the raid queue being there. I’m still baffled who thought putting a raid entrance in an area where u need organisation and full map participation for a max tier run, was a good idea.. Any tester would have caught that one.
Can’t comment on TD as I rarely go there

I don’t think the visual nerfs have pushed noticeable swathes away. It will have annoyed a lot ppl, but not pushed thousands upon thousands out of the game.

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

this games population is so high that theres dozens of maps open at once, just open lfg and merge because instead of maps filling on their own, it locates you to wheres best for you by guild and such and not by capacity

This is the main problem I’ve had with the Mega-server system, especially since HoT came out. There are way too many maps being opened. Say there are 500 players. The game creates 20 maps for these players and tosses 25 players into each map. People don’t want to play this way so they have to taxi around. Why can’t Anet change it so that instead of 20 empty maps, have 5-6 full maps? People would always log into full maps and won’t have to play the taxi game.

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

In Heart of Thorns, full maps don’t find you. You find them.

webtoehobbit.4201

This is the main problem I’ve had with the Mega-server system, especially since HoT came out. There are way too many maps being opened. Say there are 500 players. The game creates 20 maps for these players and tosses 25 players into each map. People don’t want to play this way so they have to taxi around. Why can’t Anet change it so that instead of 20 empty maps, have 5-6 full maps? People would always log into full maps and won’t have to play the taxi game.

Interesting, so this might all be a Megaserver issue that needs to be adressed and not an issue of no one is playing the maps… Well maybe someday there will be a fix.

Swift.1930

I agree that it’s an issue too. It’s so much more noticeable on HoT maps because of the group gameplay that is required there.

But what if some people prefer to be on empty maps? It’d be useful if either 1) players could choose whether they prefer high/low population maps in game settings or 2) players could choose which instance they want to go to once in the map. People with slower connections/computers or faster computers/higher ambitions can then choose as they need.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

(edited by Swift.1930)

webtoehobbit.4201

I agree that it’s an issue too. It’s so much more noticeable on HoT maps because of the group gameplay that is required there.

But what if some people prefer to be on empty maps? It’d be useful if either 1) players could choose whether they prefer high/low population maps in game settings or 2) players could choose which instance they want to go to once in the map. People with slower connections/computers or faster computers/higher ambitions can then choose as they need.

Prefer to be on empty maps? What would that accomplish? You need populated maps to be successful, at least in HoT, there isn’t any other way around that. What they should do it just optimize their game better.

Swift.1930

Prefer to be on empty maps? What would that accomplish? You need populated maps to be successful, at least in HoT, there isn’t any other way around that. What they should do it just optimize their game better.

In HoT, sure, but some people (even in HoT) are happy to solo things or enjoy roleplaying. If their computer/ISP is poor, they might prefer empty for other reasons.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

foxcat.4096

Interesting, so this might all be a Megaserver issue that needs to be adressed and not an issue of no one is playing the maps… Well maybe someday there will be a fix.

There is a fix use LFG like everyone else.

People keep posting the solution but you ignore it , finding a populated organized map in HoT is easy the only meta that is remotely hard to get done is TD.

Swift.1930

People keep posting the solution but you ignore it , finding a populated organized map in HoT is easy the only meta that is remotely hard to get done is TD.

Well, LFG is great when taxiing is happening… and when the taxi happens to be on a populated map and is not trying to single-handedly fill an empty one. But there need to be better methods than clicking the “move me to a more populated map” button (which tends to send you to an emptier one).

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Because the “solution” is terrible.

LFG should be to find people to do specific events. Not as the sole option to find a populated map. Especially when the thing doesn’t even work half the time.

foxcat.4096

Because the “solution” is terrible.

LFG should be to find people to do specific events. Not as the sole option to find a populated map. Especially when the thing doesn’t even work half the time.

LFG is for finding organized groups which are required for HoT map metas .

If you don’t want to use it fine but don’t complain when you are on an empty map whilst people who wan’t to get stuff done have taxid to a map where there are other people working towards the same thing as them.

And you say ‘the thing doesn’t work half the time" i’m not sure what to say to that….. unless you are trying to find a map when the meta has been running for awhile and all decent maps are totally filled its easy.

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

If you don’t LFG and taxi into a map you won’t get anything done on any of the maps sadly. I’ve been trying to get into AB and keep ending up on dead maps so I wasted a lot of my free time today. Any taxi for AB is for Octovine only and not for a fresh map. DS isn’t much better as you have to spam getting into an organized map every other hour.

Today was depressing for me. The only open world map that is constantly being done is Silverwastes and I’ve already done that Ad Nauseum. I want to do HoT maps to get black diamonds but I can’t even get into a fresh map so I can earn keys and aurillium.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Too bad you guys don’t have active guilds to run with. Because you know, it’s not such a bad thing. Barring that, LFG really is the answer.

Posted by: tym.3791

tym.3791

I can tell you from experience, running the DH meta, I am seeing people starting to leave the open world. I logged in one day, got on a DH map that was fighting the dragon of all things.
Once when we got the map full, it seems like it never stays that way. In the past, the map always stayed full.

For me, I just wait til a few min before reset, Tag up, start getting people in a squad, then wants it resets, we start bringing in people, People tag up, and we do the event. Just seems like people don’t stay through the entire event, and the people that simply join the event and go afk is getting worse.

Posted by: ShelBlackblood.7826

ShelBlackblood.7826

Is it really that hard for ArenaNet to make a Megaserver channel list so that players can switch / leave empty maps and gather people without taxis? This has been asked many times before but remained unknown. Maybe someone should ask on reddit to get an answer..

cough Guild Wars 1 districts cough

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

I think with the fix on Tangled Depths done in December patch more players moved to that map, I have been doing it constantly since then and always seems to have players for the meta, not even need to taxi. So far yields at least an egg per run and heaps of crystals.

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Is it really that hard for ArenaNet to make a Megaserver channel list so that players can switch / leave empty maps and gather people without taxis? This has been asked many times before but remained unknown. Maybe someone should ask on reddit to get an answer..

You have won the internet, this is exactly what is needed!

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

Yep, another glaring issue that would not have occurred if the basics had been carried over from Guild Wars to GW2.

Even a server listing popping up when you port to an area would be great- and can’t be that hard to program, seeing as it already assigns you anyway.

Expected time for fix, 2018….

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

Any taxi for AB is for Octovine only and not for a fresh map.

Since two days ago, it is emerging shyly, fresh events AB adverts. In particular, always do with Taxi “AB event farm” or “AB fresh”. Some friends and I gave the kickoff and began to emerge this kind of Taxi.

Posted by: Irikami.6270

Irikami.6270

You have won the internet, this is exactly what is needed!

+2

But really, Taxi Wars 2 in meta events who are timed are NOT fun, at least in SW you can go anytime, do it and leave, now you’re locked in a map for long events and still need to wait the “right” time to take a taxi, most ppls from our guild are moving out from the new maps too and dying of boredom. Anet will just buff rewards and try not the see that the problem is much bigger. But don’t worry, the game will not die as now it’s F2P and always have ppls who love grind to death! cheers

Artien Ni, Engineer
Naraku no Kitsune, Necromancer
Fort Aspenwood (GODS)

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

Taxi Wars for the loss. There’s a huge difference between a semi-full map and a full map. I blundered into a full map with 6 tags up, and everyone bustling around calling out for help at events. It was the greatest map ever, a lot less stressful than trying to solo or small team large events. But I should not have to take a taxi group or be lucky to experience the game with people. Empty or low population maps give a bad impression, like the game is dying or failing.

Posted by: Hakuryuu.8634

Hakuryuu.8634

Immersion breaking /s

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I haven’t seen a single VB lfg for a week now. Neither did i see a VB map with more than 10-15 people around (scattered all over the map).
Mind you, i don’t count raiders, that’s where the most of map population may be.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

Immersion breaking /s

Wait….and the constant spamming for taxi rides isn’t immersion breaking, the advertising in game to watch Twitch isn’t Immersion breaking, the constant spam to move to a new map and lose all your progress isn’t immersion breaking? Don’t make me laugh, this is the only real viable solution and they knew it years ago, so yeh i’ll take that over the floods of taxi cries and map jumping.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Hakuryuu.8634

Hakuryuu.8634

Wait….and the constant spamming for taxi rides isn’t immersion breaking, the advertising in game to watch Twitch isn’t Immersion breaking, the constant spam to move to a new map and lose all your progress isn’t immersion breaking? Don’t make me laugh, this is the only real viable solution and they knew it years ago, so yeh i’ll take that over the floods of taxi cries and map jumping.

Sorry if something rustled your jimmies but that was entirely sarcastic

Posted by: dertingel.1730

dertingel.1730

Another issue with HoT…
Thousands of players enjoy the daily Worldboss tour…Worldbosses are a core feature of GW2.
And there is not even one new Worldboss with HoT. We rely on taxis for organized maps…

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

Another issue with HoT…
Thousands of players enjoy the daily Worldboss tour…Worldbosses are a core feature of GW2.
And there is not even one new Worldboss with HoT. We rely on taxis for organized maps…

Anet was trying to get rid of world bosses, we all remember the double hp all the bosses got, till ppl complained. People were making easy gold and converting them to gems…their cash cow.

Posted by: RoxBuryNine.4210

RoxBuryNine.4210

I was on an AB map on Wednesday where groups of players were actively doing the Pillon events for all four quadrants to get ready for the meta. In spite of this, we all kept getting the message that the map was a empty and we could volunteer to change maps. Other people were doing HPs. The map was not empty. We ignored that, kept going, taxied players in and completed the Tarir event successfully.

The World Boss tour may not be lucrative but it’s like a traveling party. Good times.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

This isn’t about GW2, other than the raid which pulls ‘some’ players that way.

This is about CoD, this is about Halo 5, this is SWBF, this is about Fallout. Even Hearthstone has a new adventure.

There are now options to pull people away from our time-gated, gold-sucking playground.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

When I go to the jungle maps, which I only do so I can finish up the elite specializations on my characters, I let myself be taxied into event maps only to not participate in the events. The events can kiss my kitten.

It’s the only way to avoid being asked to volunteer to travel to a different map every few minutes.

The game is running content on a server structure not suited for the content. That’s the whole issue.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

New maps require a minimum amount of organization to work so everyone wanting to do events take taxis or open a taxi to their map. If you just zone into any random map there won’t be people doing events or it will be disorganized.

This is where I see the problem, for some unknown reason we seem to nearly always get dumped in empty maps, there is clearly room in populated maps or you would not be able to taxi anyone into them, I think this shows the problem pretty well, we should not be getting dumped into empty maps since there are plenty of populated maps we could have been put in.

Not everyone is a LFG expert, not everyone understand the taxi system that WE had to create to get around issues like landing in an empty map. I expect there is a large amount of the player base that lands in an empty map, does not know what to do about it, is unable to really do anything and just logs off annoyed. Its time arenanet do something to improve the way mega servers are working, because one thing is for sure, it could be a lot better.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Another issue with HoT…

Then what do you think the mouth of mordremoth in Dragon Stand is? its a far better boss than 95% of the other faceroll bosses in this game, jungle wurm looking at you.

Posted by: Desh.7028

Desh.7028

Each map has their own world bosses … they’re just part of ongoing cycling events.
Two maps have several bosses (and yes I realize the octovines don’t actually fight back themselves) while the other two have larger bosses at the very end of the meta event.
Maybe at this point the chak daddy shouldn’t be counted though since they seemed to have balanced it around all players on the map participating and knowing what’s what (which isn’t going to happen with people just exploring or doing their story etc).

The issue wiht HoT maps is time/reward ratio after unlocking things that you need only once for specific collections etc and the major inconvinience imposed on us by the LFG system that doesn’t even let you search or sort the list of taxi groups – not to mention that the inability of some players to not list stuff like “LF zerker CoF” under open world content.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t get it, last week or so has just felt dead for maps like Auric Basin for me. Is everyone doing raids? Did raids kill open world content? I don’t get it, just feels really dead and with how HoT works, you really need groups of people to make progress on these metas.

There are a few mechanical things going on.

• The other HoT zones compete for attention, each with their own currencies and associated collections.
  • The core zones sometimes offer stellar rewards, which encourage folks to remain there. Orr is particular profitable these days.
  • The meta events for each HoT zone require a lot of people. As with Silverwastes, this encourages people to migrate/taxi to maps that seem interested in completing the event. Which makes the other instances seem quiet.
  • The timers on the various maps are starting to become better known. People will camp one map at the expense of others.

There are probably another half a dozen other social and mechanical components that also influence how the maps appear to us. But the actual number of people participating is pretty darn hard for us to see.

Of course, “feeling dead” is a perception which needn’t have anything to do with the actual numbers. ANet did a good job of adding stuff to the game to appeal to all sorts of people, but that also means that people aren’t focusing on just one spot, like we did during Living Story chapters.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: dertingel.1730

dertingel.1730

Another issue with HoT…

Then what do you think the mouth of mordremoth in Dragon Stand is? its a far better boss than 95% of the other faceroll bosses in this game, jungle wurm looking at you.

It´s not a world boss, its an event on a meta driven map, where you have to play for 2hours on this specific map, to get to this encounter. It´s not compatible with the WorldBoss timers, its impossible to join this map simply for this encounter.
And no, its not better or harder then mark 2, svanir, shadow behe…its just a faceroll boss. Glide here, dmg there…never saw anyone dying at this encounter.

€: On top, we have 2 slots open for new WorldBosses. We have 3 Bosses every full and every half hour, but we only have 2 for quarter past and quarter to.

(edited by dertingel.1730)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

ANet did a good job of adding stuff to the game to appeal to all sorts of people, but that also means that people aren’t focusing on just one spot, like we did during Living Story chapters.

All sorts of people?

It’s very clear that they completely forgot about some groups of people. So certainly not “all”.

Posted by: Mister Asdasd.6194

Mister Asdasd.6194

Not surprising at all. It is only 4 maps, most people are on map 1 because: farming for bladed armor or new to the expansion. So the reason for this map is new skins which i think is ok and gives you motivation to stay.

2nd map wants you to repeat the meta event 100 times for a title and i doubt anyone besides hardcore players who want the title will do it because lets be honest there is no point in doing it 100 times…maybe if there where better rewards than opening chests with the traditional trash items in them and some materials. I did it 4 times and got bored already.

3rd map is infamous for being annoying with many dead-ends and confusing layout and map guidance, the meta event happens every 2 hours and you only see it crowded with revenants 40 minutes before the event so they can organise to get their mistward headwrap.

4th map doesnt even let you explore and is pressuring you under time to complete the events. You cant really say it is a map to free roam and outside the few full and organised ones it is pretty dead with all contested waypoints and places innaccessible if you dont beat the boss. Then you got 15 minutes to explore (yay)

In their obsession with the “everybody must help and work together to get the job done” you must always rely on others for success. Not really a bad thing but when all 4 maps require you to do the same thing over and over and over without an

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

PvE map rewards are so bad, specially in old Tyria, even in Orr random enemies just drop blue and greens. It’s almost as bad as WvW rewards, but in WvW at least there is a challenge. I really miss the old farm events in Orr, these were the best.

In HoT it’s just like Silverwaste, problem is that the random enemies drop nothing interesting.

Anet needs to increase the value of drops in the normal game by like 200%.

Swift.1930

Immersion breaking /s

Made me laugh! xD

Best part of current immersion is the “volunteer to go to more populated map” pop-up. Click, gain boost, get transported to emptier map. Call out in map chat a couple of times, get echoes, then wait for either a party in LFG or another volunteer message. Walking into a map that has 5+ full versions and finding the whole place empty isn’t the best example of immersion…

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

Each map has their own world bosses … they’re just part of ongoing cycling events.
Two maps have several bosses (and yes I realize the octovines don’t actually fight back themselves) while the other two have larger bosses at the very end of the meta event.
Maybe at this point the chak daddy shouldn’t be counted though since they seemed to have balanced it around all players on the map participating and knowing what’s what (which isn’t going to happen with people just exploring or doing their story etc).

The issue wiht HoT maps is time/reward ratio after unlocking things that you need only once for specific collections etc and the major inconvinience imposed on us by the LFG system that doesn’t even let you search or sort the list of taxi groups – not to mention that the inability of some players to not list stuff like “LF zerker CoF” under open world content.

just a personal opinion I wish some of the acronyms used in the LFG (looking for group) were a little easier to understand. I know myself and a friend were looking at the lists posted last night and had no idea what they were talking about, so instead of joining we kept looking and walking around together.

Not asking for a book to be posted but a little clearer would be useful. And to answer the question I am not a new player. GW1 and GW2 since beta. 22 level 80 toons 14 with map completion (pre removal of WvW from requirement) lol.

Not asking for the world just a little clarity of what you are looking for so I know if I can be an asset instead of a hindrance.

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I stop playing HoT maps.