Outfits Vs Skins

Outfits Vs Skins

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ranlares.2513

Ranlares.2513

I know this has probably been beaten to death, but everytime a new outfit gets put into he game it upsets me more and more. I REALLY wish Anet would stop doing so many outfits and go back to doing skin sets int he gem store. It is so much more fun to put things together than to have no choice other than the color.

I own a lot of outfits, most of them in fact, and every single one of them i would enjoy more if i were able to take parts of it and mix it with something else great that Arena Net made. I hate being limited to the way the thing looks.

I undersatnd they want to make skin sets only through the game and not the gem store, but the expansion only brought us what, 3 new sets or armor? 4 with legendary coming in. This sucks man. I miss getting cool outfits a lot

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

I will NEVER buy an outfit! As someone who likes to personalize my characters, outfits are completely useless to me. As for skins, well, I’ve bought loads of them.

As for HoT, this is the first xpack I’ve played in ANY MMO that had so few new armor/weapons available. I’m personally very disappointed in what I’ve seen thus far.

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Much prefer skins to outfits, mostly because I can adjust the dye to my liking.
I absolutely hate to have channels assigned to the whole thing.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: Selkirk.4218

Selkirk.4218

it is shocking. they released 4 new maps and only 2 armor sets. regional armor sets presented an opportunity to get players interested in the new areas..

but they decided to go outfits only (and in fact infuriatingly seem to be releasing a new outfit each day). after a year and a half 2 armor sets. so instead of unique armors we are running around in the new areas in the armor we have been wearing for 3 years.

of course from a pure greed perspective it makes sense (outfits make money) but from a paying 50 dollars for an expansion perspective it feels like a ripoff-and brings up the tough questions..what exactly were you guys doing for a year and a half?

these threads deserve to be bumped…players are very unhappy with the lack of armor sets. hopefully colin listens to this feedback.

(edited by Selkirk.4218)

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I actually prefer outfits because I only have to buy them once, I can wear them at lvl1, on any character, and don’t have to farm / buy Trans charges… If I could hide the shoulder part on outfits I would love them even more.

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

it is shocking. they released 4 new maps and there is very little if any interest there on the skin side (2 armor sets). regional armor sets presented an opportunity to get players interested in the new areas..

but they decided to go outfits only (and in fact infuriatingly seem to be releasing a new outfit each day). after a year and a half 2 armor sets. so instead of unique armors we are running around in the new areas in the armor we have been wearing for 3 years.

of course from a pure greed perspective it makes sense (outfits make money) but from a paying 50 dollars for an expansion perspective it feels like a ripoff-and brings up the tough questions..what exactly were you guys doing for a year and a half?

these threads deserve to be bumped…players are very unhappy with the lack of armor sets. hopefully colin listens to this feedback.

I felt the exact same way.

We paid 50 bucks for this expansion, and all we got was 2 armor sets? And meanwhile, here comes new gem store outfits. It seriously feels like a ripoff when they do that. Because they were making these outfits during the time they were working on HoT. And instead of spending the time making more armor sets to go with the new expansion, they instead made outfits for the gem store.

It is just really frustrating to see that.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

ANet favours outfits because they greatly decrease the rendering load. Many items armors with many different colours are a nightmare…

Thats why WvW players are all tinted with just 1 colour per side…

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Outfits are in the gemstore, they’re easy to produce and as such ANet can produce more of them. ANet has stated that outfits go in the gemstore, skins go in game.
But I do agree that I’d love to see more skins myself.

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

There have been threads before on this topic. The majority seems to like armor skins much more than outfits. I don’t care for outfits that much either. I like the “mix and match” versatility of armor skins. Anet didn’t listen before and I doubt they will listen now. They already stated that there won’t be new armor skins in the gem shop. Two new armor sets for the expansion is disappointing.

Outfits Vs Skins

Selkirk.4218

the problem is skins are not going in the game. 2 armor sets for the entire expansion. another outfit out today…

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I buy outfits because its usually the only way to get cross profession looks of certain armor types.

its the only way to get plate armor on a cloth/ leather wearer, and vice verse.

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

the problem is skins are not going in the game. 2 armor sets for the entire expansion. another outfit out today…

I hate to make the comparison but when WoW released it’s first expansion, there were a ton of new armor sets and weapons that were immediately available within the first starting zone. TONS of them…

HoT costs the same as what I paid for this WoW expansion and we get 2. I know that math really isn’t my subject but even that addition doesn’t appear to make sense.

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Outfits Vs Skins

Ranlares.2513

Yeah you can say that they are doing skins ingame and outfits in gemstore all you want, but in the past 2 years we have gotten the carapace (not going lumi becasue its just a recolor) and the few we got in the xpac. extremely 1 sided and lame

Please Anet, listen to your community on this, we all love you, love us back!

Outfits Vs Skins

Ranlares.2513

I’m not really asking what people prefer here, I understand there is room for both. I bought the outfits i did because i wanted my characters to look good while i leveled them without wasting trans charges. But it is not fair to the people who prefer skins. I would GLADLY pay 1000 gems for a s kin version of any of the outfits. GLADLY. and i would ALSO probably by the outfit. They serve different purposes

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

i get that more armour variety = higher render load, but thats a shoddy excuse.
i get that releasing them as a one piece means they don’t have to add icons and thumbnail text, but thats a shoddy excuse.

if they’d simply break them in to sections, make a quick thumbnail icon and a little text for each of them and turn them in to skins THEY WOULD MAKE A LOT OF MONEY!

1/10 people wants to be a one-piece clone,
though i think most of us have multiple outfits that we’d be buying TOMORROW if they made them in to skins.

TAKE OUR MONEY ANET! make skins, not costumes!

offtopic:
i agree with the others, releasing a pitiful 2 armour sets per weight from kitten expansion and then having the audacity to try to sell 2 costumes is pretty below the belt, the effort put into churning out those 2 cash-grabs could have been put into making extra armour sets.

(edited by Liewec.2896)

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: Nemesis.6938

Nemesis.6938

i get the whole “outfits are less complicated to do” argument- but honestly, most people dont seem to buy them anyway, so do rather 1 armor instead of 5 outfits… if not possible then start adding single armor pieces…

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

This was one of the many reasons I didn’t purchase the x-pac and the fact that my hunch was correct that we would be getting day one gem shop outfits and very few earnable armor sets makes me sad. Here’s what I had to say about this very thing on June 25th of this year: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Is-GW2-Becoming-F2P/first#post5211001 My concern now is instead of getting glider skins and weapons and armor sets to earn in the x-pac that we are paying money for, we are gonna be paying for the x-pac and they will release a bunch of stuff on the gem shop instead of it being earn-able in game. With how they have been handling stuff lately, that doesn’t seem altogether an unreasonable educated guess as to how things are going to go down and it’s disappointing." You know what? The players deserve better. Is this really how you treat the “best community in gaming” ?

People paid $10 less for this x-pac than the base game. Because it’s an x-pac and not a stand alone game, I don’t feel like it should have as many armor sets as a full game, but it barely has any! It’s seriously lacking in the earnable armor and weapon and backpiece and glider department.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Outfits Vs Skins

Selkirk.4218

outfits obviously make anet more money because of the outfit treadmill. people that buy outfits have to continually buy more to look ‘different’ if only for a day or a month. so it’s a cash grab but shouldn’t the paid expansion have more than gem store offerings?

i would actually be ok if there was a semblance of balance between outfits and armor sets. but as of now (and the expansion just released!) a net has given up on armor sets and frankly skins as a reward.

there is nothing in the expac to diffrentiate myself from someone who didn’t buy expac…we either are wearing the same armor from core game or the same outfit from gemstore. it frankly stinks.

missed opportunity to add much needed depth to these environments. off we go into hot in our three year old armors.

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: Bhima.9518

Bhima.9518

I would prefer a combination of outfit and skins. As in, the functionality of a skin (aka: can apply only one piece instead of the whole sh-bang), but the transmutation cost should go away completely on skins you buy with gems/real money. Every purchased cosmetic piece should act like outfits in this situation (or like the Achievement Point skins), and the skins you find in game should retain the transmutation stone mechanic.

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: Carbon Footprint.3421

Carbon Footprint.3421

They are just hoping us ‘skins’ folks will either convert or go away.

Outfits Vs Skins

Selkirk.4218

They are just hoping us ‘skins’ folks will either convert or go away.

i think your completely right..and frankly they would be happy with either option- obviously happier if we decided to just buy outfits but just as happy if we went away (so we would stop talking about armor sets).

and newer players don’t even really know what were talking about anyways. as they are so conditioned to gemstore outfits that the idea of customizing armor is foreign to them.

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: Shinya.2598

Shinya.2598

I know this has probably been beaten to death, but everytime a new outfit gets put into he game it upsets me more and more. I REALLY wish Anet would stop doing so many outfits and go back to doing skin sets int he gem store. It is so much more fun to put things together than to have no choice other than the color.

I own a lot of outfits, most of them in fact, and every single one of them i would enjoy more if i were able to take parts of it and mix it with something else great that Arena Net made. I hate being limited to the way the thing looks.

I undersatnd they want to make skin sets only through the game and not the gem store, but the expansion only brought us what, 3 new sets or armor? 4 with legendary coming in. This sucks man. I miss getting cool outfits a lot

THIS +1

Outfits Vs Skins

Posted by: Tregarde.6031

Tregarde.6031

I much, much prefer skins to outfits. I like being able to mix and match things to achieve a look. I’ve some very creative looks people have put together, and that level of customization is not possible with outfits.

Honestly, I’d be even more likely to buy a gem store skin set over an outfit. There are a few outfits I would have bought if they were skins instead.

Outfits Vs Skins

Ranlares.2513

A Net pleaseeeee read!