Pile of Guano (Hero challenge)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Someone please tell me this is bugged and bugged hard, this enemy has beyond insane health regen, there was 4 of us hammering it down, and its just like it has instant reset point, as soon as you get it to around 80% health it breaks aggro and instantly resets to 100% health,

Either we are all doing something wrong or missing something major, has anyone beat this, or are we wasting our times with this one.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

What zone is this HP in?

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Verdant Brink, in the sky on 1 of the air ships.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Three of us got it to about 50% but his lifesteal was too much and it was feeding off our pets. My thought is to try a heavy poison build to keep him from too much life stealing.

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

Well that is one way around the minion master exploit kids are using.

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Posted by: ZacKuoh.3814

ZacKuoh.3814

Managed to get this with a grp of 3 after 3 tries. The boss has an ability which gives a debuff (looks like the bleed condition icon) that allows him to siphon health from players. Whoever had the debuff would try to evade his attacks while the others break his defiance bar to stun him and let the debuff time out.

Posted by: tonyajc.2618

tonyajc.2618

That said, can you strip or cleanse monster debuffs like regular debuffs?

Who knew the Jungle was filled with so much Salt water?!

Posted by: ZacKuoh.3814

ZacKuoh.3814

That said, can you strip or cleanse monster debuffs like regular debuffs?

Don’t think debuffs can be cleared, only conditions iirc.

Posted by: Flintbrow.7985

Flintbrow.7985

I did this w/ two other Necro’s…took use three times this morning…here’s how:

-Equip d/w and staff
-no minions
-use staff 5 and DS3 off cooldown when blue bar up, when it goes all the way down, switch to dagger melee and dps as hard as possible
-rinse/repeat till dead.

It’s a bit hard, but doable…it’s also worth noting that you need to have choppa acess and updraft mastery to get to him.

Neenu Waffler-Warrior for what once was the Toast-

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I did this with some friends and some random people last night. Some of the random people insisted on standing in one spot so there were some fails as the mob pounced and siphoned like mad, but once they figured out that our guiding comments in chat would help them succeed they learned to move in circles and dodge. And we got it!

Posted by: gou.2197

gou.2197

just keep your cc ready, and make sure it never has a full break bar.

It is a total bs challenge to give people all the way up there where no allies are wandering by to help though.

Posted by: Carrla.8236

Carrla.8236

You have to stop attacking/stow your weapon all together once you get a debuff that looks like a red blood drop on a red background. It’s called “Vampiric something”. If you attack with that buff active you heal him. So avoid ground aoe because you cannot cancel it once you start it and you can get the buff at anytime. Our group did this challenge about 6 times with new people joining and nearly gave up. It also seems that ranger pets can get this buff as well so I would recommend putting them on passive and use auto attack and rapid fire. Hope this helps in any way.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If it’s ranger pets and minions, I wonder if it’s Mesmer clones/phantasms also, which would be a bit of a drawback for mesmers. You’d have to target your clone to see if it has a debuff on it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: eleshazar.6902

eleshazar.6902

Came here to find this thread. I just spent an hour in game with a group of people, and about 20 people all left angry after this.

I did this challenge once on my main with a friend and we were fine. IN any bigger group this thing is a nightmare. It sucks life from all things including: mesmer clones (so mesmers can only auto attack basically), ranger pets (so all rangers have to set on passive), minions, summons, and one person who gets close can ruin it for everyone there.

This is a terribly designed challenge that makes people very very angry at the game. It needs to get fixed.

All professions level 80| Champion Paragon, Phantom, Genius
Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] | Rank 80

Posted by: Isarii.2804

Isarii.2804

Stay at range and kite the whole fight. This is not difficult unless you have bad players just standing in melee feeding him health.

Posted by: Kiza.5630

Kiza.5630

It sucks life from all things including: mesmer clones (so mesmers can only auto attack basically), ranger pets (so all rangers have to set on passive), minions, summons, and one person who gets close can ruin it for everyone there.

That may not be entirely true. Killed it with a revenant, necro and mesmer (me). Despite my clones and the necro its health dropped steadily. Only once in a while the mob gained a few percent and when that started to happen we broke the defiance and threw everything on it. Unless we were putting out so much damage that we didn’t notice the healing, but I doubt it. Took us three tries to figure out a working tactic.

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

No one can use any pets, melee ones especially. Gyros, illusions/phantasms/clones, necro minions, ranger pets, anything. If it’s just players, they can easily back out when they get the debuff and she won’t be able to heal much.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Very doable with 3.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

his life steal is basically a point blank aoe effect. the more clustered around it the more health it regains.

So what you have to do is spread out. No summoned critters where you can help it (obviously ranger cant help it and mesmer has a bit of trouble), but definitely keep the numbers down.

Also, as I said, spread out, and dont stick close to her if you can avoid it. The less targets close to her, the less life she can steal. It took us three attempts but, between some hard CC, spreading out, the necro changing skills to non minions, etc, we did defeat her once we saw how her life steal was working.

Once we made those changes, she wasn’t that hard.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

huh… me, a friend of mine and some random guy got this first try (though it wasn’t the randoms first, i’d guess, given we had to rez him when we got there)

we did keep him fairly consistently stunned though, but i really didn’t feel it was even all that challenging (for a presumably unsoloable champ)

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

huh… me, a friend of mine and some random guy got this first try (though it wasn’t the randoms first, i’d guess, given we had to rez him when we got there)

we did keep him fairly consistently stunned though, but i really didn’t feel it was even all that challenging (for a presumably unsoloable champ)

I think the problem is the more targets the boss can life steal from, the more health she regains and the tougher she becomes. First couple times I was playing a minion master, and her health never really went down for long lol

also most of the others were meleeing her. After I observed the aoe effect, i suggested the changes I mentioned, and we had no trouble.

So I think what you want is more than 1 but not a lot, keeping the numbers high enough to successfully dps her, but low enough that she cant keep her health topped off indefinitely, plus avoid being too close to her.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Stay at range and kite the whole fight. This is not difficult unless you have bad players just standing in melee feeding him health.

The problem is that several good players who know what to do cannot compensate for even one bad player that refuses to adapt. That is not good for open world content. Basically, one bad apple shouldn’t be capable of spoiling the bunch.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

you have to break his vampiric skill. keep the break bar low and when he does it just break it. Another way is to LoS the skill, like running around stuff…it breaks it (but is harder to pull off if he follows).

Anyway no issues with that, doen first try with other 2 necros, easy when you know how

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: Bozo.2584

Bozo.2584

The problem is that several good players who know what to do cannot compensate for even one bad player that refuses to adapt. That is not good for open world content. Basically, one bad apple shouldn’t be capable of spoiling the bunch.

Then teach them. Tell them what they can do, what to avoid and form a strategy. If they are newbies, guide them.

And if they refused to listen… well you can just tell them to kitten off and you guys can taxi to another map instance. Leave that unco-operative bugger behind

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

Did this with about 20 other people, maybe more. It took 4-5 tries, and someone had a mentor tag up so people kept coming. On the last try, when we finally got it, we had so many players around that we spawned 7 brood along with the boss, all veterans or elites except for the one that was a champ. We killed them all and there was much rejoicing.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Then teach them. Tell them what they can do, what to avoid and form a strategy. If they are newbies, guide them.

The two concepts are not mutually exclusive. I have nothing against teaching new players, and do it frequently enough, but some players are unwilling or unable to learn, and they shouldn’t be capable of ruining things for those around them. It’s unreasonable to assume that every player can be brought on board if they are unwilling to do so.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Shoe.5821

Shoe.5821

done this one a couple times.

You don’t actually need updraft mastery to reach it, but it is a very difficult series of glides without it.

Minions are a bad idea in my experience.

You CAN actually melee it, but you need to be circling it constantly and staying away from the front. The vampire attack seems to be a forward cleave, and it is a bit clumsy; it’s not hard to outmaneuver with a little practice.

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

I was going for those Hero Points with a guildie two days ago. When we arrived there and just were ready to spawn it, a random person dropped by, so we were three. First it kept healing quite a bit, but at some point we managed to bring it down without any bigger problems. I was playing Mesmer (and I had 3 phantasms up most of the time), my guildie Revenant and the random person Elementalist. Did it with our first try; wasn’t too easy but also not too hard.