Plea to reconsider adding "melee staff"

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I can count the number of greatsword skins that would work for practical combat on one hand. Most of them are blatantly over sized, weirdly balanced, blatantly dangerous to the wielder, or have so much ornamentation that they’d be completely non-functional. Usually ALL of these things at once.

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

So Staffs as Meelee Weapons are not realistic? Ever looked at the Greatsword Skins?. Most of them are giant oversized Paddles and would be useless in combat if we are going for Realism, and no these things are not Joke Skins or are you saying that 80% of the Greatsword Skins are Joke Skins?

If we compare the more realistic Skins to the Staff Skins than well I don’t see a Problem with Staffs being used as a Melee Weapon. Proportionwise the Staffs are one of the most realistic Weapon Skins in the Game. They only seem small or thin due to Weapon Skins that are clearly oversized

Where is the Problem with Staffs as Melee Weapons? It’s not like they would break easily in a Combat.

Scepters vs Maces.

Same principals apply to staves vs polearms, which is why I am asking they wait on hafted melee weapons until polearms are ready.

Inimicus.7162

I can count the number of greatsword skins that would work for practical combat on one hand. Most of them are blatantly over sized, weirdly balanced, blatantly dangerous to the wielder, or have so much ornamentation that they’d be completely non-functional. Usually ALL of these things at once.

I can’t explain people’s fascination with designing (and using) 10?×2? butter knives that happen to carry the greatsword classification, in fact I personally lump these into the joke weapon category also. Absolute nonsense. However, I could make the argument that many of them, if scaled back to more reasonable sizes would actually be within the realms of plausible if you could make an IRL counterpart to them. While I don’t like them in the least, I can tolerate their presence as being an RPG culture thing since the “Buster Sword” first appeared.

Best guess its a size thing, but it’s not my thing so I can only assume.

Inimicus.7162

Not ignored. The answer seems to be it’s okay for a magic user to use a physical weapon to channel magic through, but it’s not okay for a physical fighter to thunk someone with a weapon designed to channel magic.

Again you miss the mace vs scepter argument which addresses this.

I can count a lot more than that. There are skins that feature no baubles of any kind, just a wooden stick with a metal head.

How’s this (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/0/04/Guild_Pillar.jpg) not a good enough polearm?

There are even 2 or 3 scythes available.

True, but off target. “Melee staves” as such would not have all the ornamentation that the staves we have in our wardrobe do. So I’m asking the staff we have now be kept as a caster only weapon, and they wait until they have finished the polearm weapon type before adding in long hafted melee weapons.

You are listing possible candidates to be put into a polearm weapon category, which is what I would prefer to have happen rather than simply adding animation to our caster staves, which by their shapes would not be martial/melee weapons and if one attempted to use such things in combat, they would find themselves making moves more befitting of a polearm.

What exactly defines the line between a regular skin and a “joke” skin?

Are the pearl weapons joke, or non-joke skins?

See comment about greatswords if they were rescaled. Ever see that excrement in the final fantasy series? http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/101/1011746/dissidia-final-fantasy-20090806045530233.jpg I’m fairly sure this is one source of that entire fad.

What’s a joke weapon? Ask yourself which weapons were made with whimsy or humor in mind and which ones were made with that not so humorous, but still pervasive attitude that they need to be carrying the biggest most flashy thing they can get their hands on. Think of the nuclear cannon, Big Bertha or the Tzar Bomba built during the cold war. For these people it’s all about the size and shine, and while watching this is somewhat humorous to me personally, I don’t think over sized weapons were all done with giggles in mind.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Thieves will eventually have to get some sort of ‘acrobatics’ themed elite specialization, less centered around stealth and way more about evades.

And to have a proper acrobat, you’ll need a staff.

How can you do a Pole Jump without the staff required to use as a pole?

There’s no skin that looks better for that purpose than GW1’s Bo Staff.

While at least one free skin should be simple and plain like the Boo Staff, then there could be others like the Monkey King’s Staff that could be in the gemstore or as rare drops.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Inimicus.7162

Thieves will eventually have to get some sort of ‘acrobatics’ themed elite specialization, less centered around stealth and way more about evades.

And to have a proper acrobat, you’ll need a staff.

How can you do a Pole Jump without the staff required to use as a pole?

Polearm, just be careful not to get caught on the head

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

So, you are asking them to introduce a separate weapon and copy skins from staff and spear just so staff can remain shoehorned to its role as a magical weapon?

There’s absolutely no point in that, especially when it will only introduce problems with loot distribution. They already said we won’t be getting new weapons, anyway.

If someone wants to use Kasmeer’s Staff to bash skulls, it’s up to them. Yes, it will look silly, but Moot looks silly, too. At the same time, if you want to take your character seriously, there are several realistic looking staves you can choose from. Everyone wins. In the future, they will have to balance new staff skins between its physical and magical use, like they are doing already with the Greatsword. Skins like the Pinnacle GS were clearly aimed towards Mesmers.

Your argument about Scepters and Maces is valid, but those are the only two weapons it applies to. Daggers, Axes, Greatswords and Hammers all have dual use.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Ditto…lets address other dumb looking existing weapons before starting to gripe about potential weapons skins. Dumb looking Greatswords? Jeez…where to start? Pearl and anything that glows?? Bah…

The best looking and most appropriately sized GS skin in the game is the Aureate Highlander Greatsword. And even its too big, technically. Not sure what the holes in the blade are for either, but its looks okay.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

yes melee staffs are awesome

Posted by: VocalThought.9835

VocalThought.9835

I rushed home to BOO this thread! Why , you may ask? Because during my break at work I saw this terrible idea and read the arguments to why they should not use Staff as a melee weapon and should come up with a whole other weapon type. The reasons alone just sound… not well reasoned.

1: “They have mace and scepters, they should have staff and pole-arms”- Noooo, because you have classes that already use both maces and scepters. This argument would only make sense if you wanted a character to use staff for both melee and to cast spells, then having a staff for magic and pole-arm for melee would make sense. Last I checked, people are requesting one thing, but lets see if you now the answer…
A) Asking for the same profession to use the staff for spell casting and melee.
B)Asking for spell casting professions to use the staff for melee.
C) Asking for non-spell casting professions to use the staff for melee.

2: “Having a spell caster use a melee weapon to channel spells is ok, but having a fighter class use an object meant for spell casting to hit someone, shouldn’t”- WTH! You mean to tell me that if I come across a spell book, that I can’t smack you with it. You might not want me to, but it can happen. I believe hitting someone with a staff is more realistic than shooting a beam of light out of a great sword!

3: “The skins of the weapon don’t look weighted enough”- Really… really. So if they came up with skins that looked weighted correctly that would be a problem too, because the animation when holding a staff would be off, which is why they need a new weapon type, right? Wrong!

They don’t need a new weapon type for a pole-arm because, so far, none of the classes that were recommended to use the staff for melee combat currently weld a staff hence, they can just adjust the animation for those classes, instead of coming up with a new weapon, using the skins they already have and creating new ones over time!

They could spend time thinking of new weapon types for future expansions, and the pole-arm isn’t one of them, unless their thinking about giving a pole-arm to the Guardian!

Oh, and the answer is C

(edited by VocalThought.9835)

Posted by: flipyap.5789

flipyap.5789

Cant believe you don’t want there to be melee staff because “physics”. Seriously its a fantasy game with magic and you have a hard time grasping someone using melee with a staff?

- already greatswords that already look heavy as hell but we still swing them like theyre nothing
- ^^Same with hammer
- We pull non existing arrows from our bows.
- no reloading firearms
- If a mesmer can shoot magical beams from a melee weapon why cant we hit someone over the head with a staff?
- weapons grow in size and mass just to match race.
-

Posted by: VocalThought.9835

VocalThought.9835

Cant believe you don’t want there to be melee staff because “physics”. Seriously its a fantasy game with magic and you have a hard time grasping someone using melee with a staff?

- already greatswords that already look heavy as hell but we still swing them like theyre nothing
- ^^Same with hammer
- We pull non existing arrows from our bows.
- no reloading firearms
- If a mesmer can shoot magical beams from a melee weapon why cant we hit someone over the head with a staff?
- weapons grow in size and mass just to match race.
-

lmao…. I was thinking the exact same thing!!

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

If you don’t want to hit people with a flimsy magic-type staff, then use a different, sturdier-looking skin.

Well, I personally don’t care what skins other people use, but gw2 certainly lacks those more realistic looking weapons. For example, the best gs I’ve found is Kymswarden, which looks good on my female sylvari guard, my human male looks like wielding a sword, not gs.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Yeah. They should definitely make a decent pack of extra random weapons with less flashy and more classic looks.

Not just rare exotics and gemstore skins, but stuff that may drop as fine, masterwork and rares all over the place, much like how in GW1 you could get 3-5 different swords skins dropping in one region.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Yeah. They should definitely make a decent pack of extra random weapons with less flashy and more classic looks.

Not just rare exotics and gemstore skins, but stuff that may drop as fine, masterwork and rares all over the place, much like how in GW1 you could get 3-5 different swords skins dropping in one region.

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/gw2-makeshift-staff.jpg

Posted by: Jinesis.3782

Jinesis.3782

Dont agree with OP here. Combat staffs and magical staffs are staffs.

Glad we have only 1 category of swords.

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

If you don’t want to hit people with a flimsy magic-type staff, then use a different, sturdier-looking skin.

Well, I personally don’t care what skins other people use, but gw2 certainly lacks those more realistic looking weapons. For example, the best gs I’ve found is Kymswarden, which looks good on my female sylvari guard, my human male looks like wielding a sword, not gs.

There are plenty of other fairly realistic looking GSes (besides the default crafted look):

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aureate_Highlander_Greatsword

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ebon_Vanguard_Greatsword

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ebonblade

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Krytan_Greatsword

Are a few, and there are more. The same applies to most weapons.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i first want a martial artist profession before we start using melee staffs, what we truly lack is a profession that can use hand-to-hand combat. (the weapon strength could be done with bracelets )

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Not ignored. The answer seems to be it’s okay for a magic user to use a physical weapon to channel magic through, but it’s not okay for a physical fighter to thunk someone with a weapon designed to channel magic.

Again you miss the mace vs scepter argument which addresses this.

No, I didn’t miss it. I was trying to summarize what I got out of it. Melee vs. ranged autoattack, magic weapons can look like martial, but not the other way around. Went back to look at it again, and I’m not seeing anything different.

See comment about greatswords if they were rescaled.

It’s far more than a scale issue. Look at that Pearl Broadsword. It’s not only ridiculously big, it’s a spatula. Rescale it more “realistically” and you don’t get a realistic sword, you just get a smaller spatula.

What’s a joke weapon? Ask yourself which weapons were made with whimsy or humor in mind and which ones were made with that not so humorous, but still pervasive attitude that they need to be carrying the biggest most flashy thing they can get their hands on. Think of the nuclear cannon, Big Bertha or the Tzar Bomba built during the cold war. For these people it’s all about the size and shine, and while watching this is somewhat humorous to me personally, I don’t think over sized weapons were all done with giggles in mind.

Your arguments come across as very circular to me. People point out ridiculous weapon designs, and you say we have to dismiss joke weapons. When asked how we know which ones are joke weapons, the answer seems to be the ones that are unrealistic.

Okay, so all the weapons in the game are realistic once you dismiss all the unrealistic ones. Does that argument demonstrate anything? At all?

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

i first want a martial artist profession before we start using melee staffs, what we truly lack is a profession that can use hand-to-hand combat. (the weapon strength could be done with bracelets )

Fist weapons. Gimme~
Bad enough a few of the focus skins look like end-game fist weapons from other games. =P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Wow. How selfish.

Some of us WANT melee staff.

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

I completely agree with OP.
Melee staves (hit-you-with-it style) are incompatible with the staff design in GW2. In GW2 they are magical implements and highly decorative in design.
These are NOT bo staves, or anything of the like.
This isn’t a matter of “realism”, it’s simply nonsensical. Imagine making a sword who’s abilities fire arrows, bow-style. Or a hammer who’s abilities are all focused around slicing/cutting.

If ranger/druid staff has an ability or two that uses the staff to smack at an enemy, that’s fine. But it shouldn’t be implemented as a primarily hit-you-with-it style weapon.

A melee/bo staff would be a cool addition to the game, but this would not be the way to do it. Do it properly if at all.

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

i belive they datamined revenant staff skills and they were melee. the auto had a whirl finisher in the chain.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

RabbitUp.8294

This isn’t a matter of “realism”, it’s simply nonsensical. Imagine making a sword who’s abilities fire arrows, bow-style. Or a hammer who’s abilities are all focused around slicing/cutting.

A sword cannot fire arrows, because it doesn’t have that function at all. GW2’s greatsword does fire laser beams, though, because magic.

But you can use any object to smack your opponent. This is a basic staff: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/3/37/Elder_Wood_Staff.jpg
Yes, it has a crystal attached to its tip. It’s still a solid wooden stick that can cause damage.

Can you make melee staff fighting look ridiculous by picking Kasmeer’s staff? Yes, definitely. But do tell me, how does this (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/5/5b/Guild_Compound_Bow.jpg) fire arrows? How is it any less ridiculous? I only see a double bladed weapon with a string attached.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Speak for yourself, I found a lot of staves that would look great in melee and plan on using one of those… gladly. I’m still undecided on which one, though :/

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Boomaranging greatswords
Rapid fire flintlocks
Rocket jumping blunderbus
My little pony firing shortbows
Bunsen burner daggers
Disco ball maces
Weapons made of candy

Your point is moot here.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

There are plenty of other fairly realistic looking GSes (besides the default crafted look):

Existence of few doesn’t mean they are plenty, especially when compared to the number of flashy looking skins.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

Existence of few doesn’t mean they are plenty, especially when compared to the number of flashy looking skins.

Define “plenty”, then, as a specific number or percentage.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Boomaranging greatswords
Rapid fire flintlocks
Rocket jumping blunderbus
My little pony firing shortbows
Bunsen burner daggers
Disco ball maces
Weapons made of candy

Your point is Moot here.

Fixed.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Inimicus.7162

No, I didn’t miss it. I was trying to summarize what I got out of it. Melee vs. ranged autoattack, magic weapons can look like martial, but not the other way around. Went back to look at it again, and I’m not seeing anything different.

You aren’t reading all my posts.

INB4: Channeling magic through a melee weapon to deal ranged damage as Mesmers or even Revenants with their hammer, no different from using a scepter/staff, it is only a substitution skin that does something kind of unusual, but even in the context of magic isn’t as far out of bounds as repeatedly smashing somebody with a princess wand, or the winged staff.

It’s far more than a scale issue. Look at that Pearl Broadsword. It’s not only ridiculously big, it’s a spatula. Rescale it more “realistically” and you don’t get a realistic sword, you just get a smaller spatula.

I have also addressed this in more ways than just the rescaling. Again, read my other posts, because you missed this one:

See comment about greatswords if they were rescaled. Ever see that excrement in the final fantasy series? http://pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/101/1011746/dissidia-final-fantasy-20090806045530233.jpg I’m fairly sure this is one source of that entire fad.

1: “They have mace and scepters, they should have staff and pole-arms”- Noooo, because you have classes that already use both maces and scepters. This argument would only make sense if you wanted a character to use staff for both melee and to cast spells, then having a staff for magic and pole-arm for melee would make sense.

Recheck the reasoning I gave. Then go compare mace and scepter skills. My argument here holds.

2: “Having a spell caster use a melee weapon to channel spells is ok, but having a fighter class use an object meant for spell casting to hit someone, shouldn’t”- WTH! You mean to tell me that if I come across a spell book, that I can’t smack you with it. You might not want me to, but it can happen. I believe hitting someone with a staff is more realistic than shooting a beam of light out of a great sword!

That last part, what are you people even trying to argue with this anyway?

To the rest:

INB4: Channeling magic through a melee weapon to deal ranged damage as Mesmers or even Revenants with their hammer, no different from using a scepter/staff, it is only a substitution skin that does something kind of unusual, but even in the context of magic isn’t as far out of bounds as repeatedly smashing somebody with a princess wand, or the winged staff.

They don’t need a new weapon type for a pole-arm because, so far, none of the classes that were recommended to use the staff for melee combat currently weld a staff hence, they can just adjust the animation for those classes, instead of coming up with a new weapon, using the skins they already have and creating new ones over time!

Part of why I suggest they finish/reintroduce the Polearm (which is still in the game btw) is that it would be a weapon anybody could use, with or without magic.
http://www.gw2db.com/items/25664-whispering-polearm
They apparently have been hunting down all their old polearm codes and making them come up blank when entered into chat. I should point out also, the Watchknights of living story 1 carried “land spears” (Seraph Spear) that had an item link also marking them as polearms.

What argument are you trying to make? That this is a fantasy game and nothing applies unless you or the devs want it to? Magic in GW2 is presented as being able to alter the rules of a world otherwise based highly around the one in which we live. It gives Anet, and other fantasy genre book/movie/game makers a lot of leeway in their designs, gigantic creatures, floating rocks etc. However, some rather basic assumptions can be made. And in this case, the staves we have are not designed for melee combat. See maces vs scepter comments (and it’s more than 1).

Instead of making a distinction in the types of staves, or leaving as is and looking as bad as the Greatsword category’s Buster Sword/butter knife/spatula…thing… finish an old weapon category and make it martial. Casters can use martial weapons as I have stated, and people with no magical affinity at all can as well.

Inimicus.7162

Melee staves (hit-you-with-it style) are incompatible with the staff design in GW2. In GW2 they are magical implements and highly decorative in design.

If ranger/druid staff has an ability or two that uses the staff to smack at an enemy, that’s fine. But it shouldn’t be implemented as a primarily hit-you-with-it style weapon.

A melee/bo staff would be a cool addition to the game, but this would not be the way to do it. Do it properly if at all.

First, ty for seeing to the heart of my post.

Those last 2 bits:
For the staves we have now, at best they could be like that 1 scepter block skill, however the retaliation attack would need to be ranged to make sense with the skill setups that staves have anyway.

And I agree that a true melee staff form would be wonderful, but it would ultimately have to be separate from these ornamented status symbols (2 handed scepters) that we have now to work. And I think rolling applicable staff fighting moves into a polearm weapon type is the closest we can get without making a gigantic muddled mess of our weapon categories.

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

Staves are only designed for magical combat? Fine, pretend that the Revenant is channeling magical energy into the tip of his staff, which he then uses to bludgeon his enemy from melee range.

Problem solved.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

First, ty for seeing to the heart of my post.

Those last 2 bits:
For the staves we have now, at best they could be like that 1 scepter block skill, however the retaliation attack would need to be ranged to make sense with the skill setups that staves have anyway.

And I agree that a true melee staff form would be wonderful, but it would ultimately have to be separate from these ornamented status symbols (2 handed scepters) that we have now to work. And I think rolling applicable staff fighting moves into a polearm weapon type is the closest we can get without making a gigantic muddled mess of our weapon categories.

At first I was willing to completely dismiss the argument you have, but now I have changed it to a partial disagreement. In looking at all of the current staff skins there are no skins that are really suited for melee combat. They should at least implement some basic design staff skins that look like what you want.

However, they probably should not add another weapon category at this time. Adding skins is easy and painless, for the most part, and the only classes that currently use staves are for strictly magical, ranged purposes (we don’t know for sure if the Revenant staff will be used in melee or not). If they actually add classes that use them as melee weapons, then they should definitely implement new skins, but people will still use the “magical” staff variants for melee combat anyway.

Also, even if the introduced polearms, those skins will most assuredly also be ridiculously oversized as well (for the higher-end weapons).

Inimicus.7162

At first I was willing to completely dismiss the argument you have, but now I have changed it to a partial disagreement. In looking at all of the current staff skins there are no skins that are really suited for melee combat. They should at least implement some basic design staff skins that look like what you want.

This ultimately is why I’m asking they hold off on what appear to be staff plans with the Revenant in HoT and add the polearms later. I feel the polearm weapon type for both martial and magical use would be cleaner as a category of skins, while opening up more possibilities for some really awesome weapons and moves.

The stupid huge weapons thing, my personal feeling is that its a fashion born of far more cartoony media (more than just games). I don’t expect it to ever go anywhere.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

This ultimately is why I’m asking they hold off on what appear to be staff plans with the Revenant in HoT and add the polearms later. I feel the polearm weapon type for both martial and magical use would be cleaner as a category of skins, while opening up more possibilities for some really awesome weapons and moves.

The stupid huge weapons thing, my personal feeling is that its a fashion born of far more cartoony media (more than just games). I don’t expect it to ever go anywhere.

What would be easier for Anet? Making existing staff weapons a melee weapon for some professions, or creating a whole new weapon for every profession, including a variety of skin options?

Not only that, but the difference between staff and polearm, in a game like GW2, would not be big enough to warrant a seperate weapon type in my opinion. I could be wrong of course, but it just seems like they are too similar.

The only new weapon types I can see Anet adding are things like greataxes, crossbows and whips, because they would be sufficiently different from the existing weapons. While greataxe is similar in design to an axe, they would be wielded and used very differently. A polearm on the other hand would not be wielded or used much differently from a melee staff weapon (in the game).

You could argue that polearms are designed more for thrusting and slicing attacks with a blade or spike, while staves are designed for blugeoning attacks, but in my opinion, polearms would just require too much work on Anet’s part for not enough return.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

RabbitUp.8294

Posted by: Elendur.9342

Elendur.9342

So, OP don’t want melee staffs because the staff skins don’t look like they fit melee combat?
Why not use the skins that look fit for it, then? Or just avoid using staves on the few classes that would end up using melee staves? I don’t like most bows / swords / GS skins on this game, so I just end up using the few skins that I do like.
Unless the problem isn’t about using those skins, but about seeing people using them. In that case, if you somehow get offended by people using stuff you think that look ugly on a game, or people liking different things from you, sorry, but you should really consider go playing a single player game. On a MMO you will ALWAYS have different people around you.

I think that melee staves would be awesome, and I hope druid have melee skills on the staff. Specially if the melee skills end up like a combo of melee and magic like the following video, I think it could be really cool! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TocInt6Xes

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

The destroyer staff looks scary as hell in melee. The chaos staff and the fractal one may have a use too, if you stretch it.
In reality, the whole complaint is based around “there isn’t the staff skin I want” – which I presume will be some kind of realistic bo. How typical.
As if anet implementing the bo staff skin (or whatever stick) were SO unlikely. They implemented an oversized katana or odachi or whatever… a fan, even…

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

I mean, I saw all of those, but in terms of the “realism” argument (which I’m not making; it is a fantasy game after all that hasn’t had realism for some time) none of those really work for what a melee staff, like a bo staff, does. Not many of them have balanced ends. Some would actually be okay, but no more ridiculous than any of the greatswords out there (the worst offenders of realism imo), which is why I don’t think it’s going to be a problem.

Posted by: Elendur.9342

Elendur.9342

About skins, it worth mentioning that I am crafting an ascended LB and will spend a transmutation charge to make it look like a shiverpeak LB or maybe a softwood LB…

RabbitUp.8294

I mean, I saw all of those, but in terms of the “realism” argument (which I’m not making; it is a fantasy game after all that hasn’t had realism for some time) none of those really work for what a melee staff, like a bo staff, does. Not many of them have balanced ends. Some would actually be okay, but no more ridiculous than any of the greatswords out there (the worst offenders of realism imo), which is why I don’t think it’s going to be a problem.

I get your point, but going by the trailer, Revenant’s fighting style with the staff seems to be based on polearms, not bo staves, as Rytlock was using the head of the staff to strike the monsters and that requires a weapon with a heavy end.

And the bo staff is the easiest skin to add, it’s just a stick, and I’m sure it will be added when HoT is released.

(edited by RabbitUp.8294)

Posted by: Quintuplebeta.3914

Quintuplebeta.3914

Inimicus, please stop this sad cry for atention. they already have announced that there will be no “land spears” or similar weapons added. A-net is working with the weapons that they have to create something interesting and personally I have no problem with melee staff.

I hope that you understand that this whole thread is rediculas and A-net will not take your opinion seriously after this long of a development cycle. Not to mention all the animations and programming they have already put into this melee staff.

Posted by: carabidus.6214

carabidus.6214

A magical staff can certainly be used in melee. It’s good enough for Gandalf:

https://youtu.be/-KiN-4thC6U

Furthermore, there are ample historical accounts of lightweight pole weapons wielded with one hand. I just wish the game mechanics allowed for it. How awesome that would be!

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Pretty sure melee stave skills were datamined for the revenant

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Crossflip.4390

Crossflip.4390

Recommend you guys check out the pthumerian elder boss from bloodborne. Here’s a link to a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuCidQy-FqY

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

I don’t recall anyone complaining about Mesmers using Greatswords as ranged weapons, what the heck is wrong with melee staffs?

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: Puls.5867

Puls.5867

I want to play whack-a-dredge with my bifrost..

Tsento – Mesmer | Timcarnate – Revenant | Timigami – Necromancer

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

also, pretty mean that you want a weapon (one that people are excited for) removed just because you don’t like know it might look. just don’t play it if it bothers you that much, you don’t have to ruin it for everyone.

the game has a ranged greatsword, and will soon also have a ranged hammer. melee staff is significantly less ridiculous than either of those.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

(edited by choovanski.5462)