Please AN - Attention to casual gamers

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tannin.1920

Tannin.1920

I’m sick of it by playing almost three years and not feel rewarded for it. On the contrary, what I got because I had to pay to have bought gems to have an ascending equipment. Unlike adolescents aged 15 to 25 who mostly do not have children, job or something I have 39 years and do not feel that the game is fair to me rewarding me in 3 or 4 hours I can play every day. You developers are ignoring the casual gamers. I will not be making the insane grind you will put sure to indulge people who have the time to do it. Is fair only those who have the spare time can have the best items in the game?

I understand the concept of reward for effort, but think well, if you release the legendary equipments for the elite, let them ascended to the casual.

Posted by: azorean.1850

azorean.1850

you mean you want even more attention to the casual player? why play a game for 3 years without feeling rewarded for it?

Posted by: Dadnir.5038

Dadnir.5038

You know, I’m playing less than you (in regard of time spend in game), I don’t buy gem and still I find it easy to craft ascended gear.

There is a limit to how easy the game have to be and I think making things even easier would make the game simply boring.

No core profession should be balanced around an optional elite specialization.

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

Lazy != Casual Player

I consider myself a casual player and have several ascended items and i’m working towards my first legendary (after playing this game for 3 years already), you just need to focus on what you want and you will eventually get it sooner or later

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre

Posted by: Conner.5803

Conner.5803

Ehm, so why do you “need” ascended gear so badly? It’s a tier that has only a good use in fractals. Everywhere else in the game it isn’t even a requirement to have, so why even bother with it then?

You claiming that Anet doesn’t cater to the casuals enough made me really chuckle. So basically most of the PvE side of the game is catered to the casuals (world bosses, dungeons, no gear requirement is almost the entire game, no level cap increase, general open world exploring, etc.) and you’re complaining it’s not enough? Ascended gear isn’t even hard to get if you can only play 3-4 hours a day. If it was 3-4 hours a week it would be different story, but that’s not the case here. IF you want something so bad EARN it then. Spend your time wisely instead of whining here!

Posted by: xadine.7069

xadine.7069

there are several problem with your statement:

1) 3 to 4 hours daily ISN’T casual. It is pretty heavy allready tbh. You may not be a “hard core” gamer I agree, but you’re certainly NOT a casual. I’m 26 (so I’ll say 25 to fit your description) and I don’t play 4h daily… I’m connected more than 4h indeed (5 week, 6 WE), but afk 1h teq, afk 1h TT (3times/week), and in LA oh boy… I’m not even counting.

2) Ascend gear are not hard to craft. As I said I play not a lot more than you and I still manage to get 4 full ascend gear without using money to get gold.
Maybe you’re not as “efficient” as you should be and it’s not a matter of time.

3) Anet ignore casuals. You must not play the same game. Most of dungeons can be run in less than 30mn no matter what’s your party, the longest event is 1h20 long (TT wurm) due to the organization time, you can have exotic armor without doing craft/dungeons/loot and it’s only 10% worse than ascend (and it’s recent it use to be less), all event can be done by spamming 1. It is well etablish that GW2 is one of the most casual-friendly MMO ever…

4) Legendary armors are up so lets make ascend easy to get… C’mon you can’t be serious. Legendary armor is meant to be a highly valuable armor, such as legendaries weapons are. But only because of its looks, not because of it stats. Ascend will still be the better stats in the game, give it away would be ridiculous.
Especially since you don’t need ascend armor anywhere in the game EXCEPT FotM lvl20+. Currently ascend armor/weapons are just a way to say “I can do it” without any real purpose. So it is normal to have to “grind” to get it since it is only a trophy.

5) you have to spend time to get shinies. Again this isn’t true at all. As I stated I don’t play a lot more than you, I still have 4 full ascend gear and 2 legendaries weapons. No content require more than 1h (not talking meta just with any party) and if it does you do it wrong (except for 1 or 2 dungeons path). And as for the Raids, we don’t know how long they will take, but I don’t think it’ll be more than 2hours trip after a few weeks. So if you play 3/4h daily you have enough time to do pretty much everything, and you should have all that you need after 3years. Ofc you might still lack a precursor but this have nothing to do with time but luck.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the loot system in this game is good or fair and that it feel rewarding, I’m just saying you cannot say that GW2 isn’t casual-friendly or time consuming, nor that you are a casual.
This game isn’t perfect I agree, It can be frustrating, but not for the reasons you mentionned.

Posted by: Wwefan.4982

Wwefan.4982

WHAT Anet caters more to casual players than hardcore players.

Sylvari mean

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I’m sick of it by playing almost three years and not feel rewarded for it. On the contrary, what I got because I had to pay to have bought gems to have an ascending equipment. Unlike adolescents aged 15 to 25 who mostly do not have children, job or something I have 39 years and do not feel that the game is fair to me rewarding me in 3 or 4 hours I can play every day. You developers are ignoring the casual gamers. I will not be making the insane grind you will put sure to indulge people who have the time to do it. Is fair only those who have the spare time can have the best items in the game?

I understand the concept of reward for effort, but think well, if you release the legendary equipments for the elite, let them ascended to the casual.

You play 3-4 hours a day and still cannot afford Ascended?? Thats entirely down to your failings not Anet..

Posted by: AngryBear.8741

AngryBear.8741

So, I have calculated my average play time and it is less than 2.5h per day (who knows how much of AFK time is in it) and I have 4 ascended sets.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Please, uninstall.

You are not entitled to anything. You sound like those adolescent 15-25 year olds you are bashing.

Btw, 3-4 hours a DAY is not casual…. that number probably jumps to 5-6 on the weekends… you are not a casual at all.

Its 100% your fault for playing a game 3-4 hours a day for 3 years, and not feeling rewarding. I have no idea what on earth you are doing in those 3-4 hours a day, but its certain you are not working towards your goal of ascended. You are now just asking anet to hand you anything you want basically…. you sound like an entitled child….

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

thanks op your post gave me good laught right now ^^

first of all one could accuse AN for many things but ignoring casual players is not one of them…

second of all – you have weird definitions of what “casual” means

third of all – after playing 3 years in a computer game your biggest issue is that you do not feel REWARDED? why do you even bother playing computer games then… (in theory they should be played for fun not for being rewarded – its not second job or anything)

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

You don’t actually need ascended gear for the “casual” content you’re playing in the first place, and furthermore ascended is very very easy to craft compared to when it was first released thanks to the endless font of dragonite/shards from silverwastes.

Why back in my day we had to do fractals, guild missions, farm world bosses, and run a ton of jumping puzzles to make the stuff. These days you can join a shovel map and eat a sandwich and get it all with one hand in two or three play sessions.

Ascended was added to the game because they wanted “top tier” to be a longer term goal, and people were gearing out in full exotics faster than they had anticipated. Ascended is a reasonably long term goal at the moment, but still quite easy to make progress on in the order of one or two pieces a week. You just have to actually direct the rewards you get from play toward that goal in stead of hoarding resources or spending your gold on other stuff.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

My average play time is right around 2.5 hours a day, and I consider myself a ‘casual’ player. I have 2 sets of ascended and an assortment of pieces toward other sets. Generally speaking, the only items I have issues getting enough of are cloth. (silk, wool, and cotton primarily). shrug Ascended is very acquirable by ‘casuals,’ it just takes longer

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

If you can play 3-4 hours a day and you’re not making good money – you’re just not playing right. You can easily make a lot of cash if you’re strict about it and know what you are doing.

If you are 39 you can most certainly use some real money to turn into gems and make your gold that way.

This game has been casual heaven for 3+ years now and it caters massively to casual players.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Azumi.9572

Azumi.9572

GW2 is the single most casual MMORPG on the market. It doesn’t get more casual than this.

Honestly, they went way overboard with it already. Adding more on top of it will cause the player-base to hemorrhage more than it is.

They need to start ignoring casuals and adding in things for others to do.

Because this game is seriously stale after the story ends right now. There is barely nothing to do.

I’ve seen a lot of people complain about end-game in MMORPGs, but GW2 is the only one I agree 100%.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I don’t have any ascended beyond weapons and back items. and accessories… I find armor harder to make, but not unreachable.

I’m working on my third back item; a second mawdrey. So my priorities lie elsewhere.

I’m also working on my first armor set in Verata’s/Sinister’s and for two more daggers and a scepter or focus.

Its time consuming and a bit annoying with the time gating, but not unobtainable in the slightest. And playing 6-8 hours a day is pretty much hardcore levels, even though I don’t consider myself so.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Eponet.4829

Eponet.4829

My main issue with ascended is that it kills build diversity. Three sets (one for each armor class to share) isn’t unreasonable as a long term goal, but if you ever decide to try out a healing secondary build, it’s going to have to compete with stats 10% higher than itself.

If put in terms of raw stats, comparing ascended berserker/assassin to exotic berserker/assassin, 10% additional power alone is a 10% damage increase. As you’ll have over 200% crit chance, 10% additional precision 190 additional precision is a damage increase of around 10% of power, which ends up being around another 6 or so %.

Not even factoring in ferocity or weapon base damage, that’s a gap of more than 15%. PvE mesmers take an entire trait line for less of increase and consider it worthwhile.

Tannin.1920

Hello, I came back from work now and saw that my post has several answers, thanks for the criticism, good to see what others think about what I said at the forum focusing on the staff of ArenaNet. I am a minority, maybe one doing this revindication, but think about it. The game could be sold (core game) because being free to play now? Losing players? I do not know, they know. What can I do it as a casual player looking for a new game.

;)

Edit: 2540 hours / 1008 days = 2.52 hours day of gameplay to be exactly.

(edited by Tannin.1920)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Umm, lots of high school kids and college people have jobs. And…25 dude that’s like a seasoned grown up.

Posted by: Oberon Vex.1389

Oberon Vex.1389

Hello, I came back from work now and saw that my post has several answers, thanks for the criticism, good to see what others think about what I said at the forum focusing on the staff of ArenaNet. I am a minority, maybe one doing this revindication, but think about it. The game could be sold (core game) because being free to play now? Losing players? I do not know, they know. What can I do it as a casual player looking for a new game.

;)

First, I’m responding under the assumption that english is not your first language. If this is not the case, I apologize.

I’m sorry if you do not feel rewarded for your time playing Guild Wars 2, but the majority of players in this community would undoubtedly consider this game very forgiving to casual players — especially considering its contemporary rivals. I understand that your opinion is the opposite, but please understand that you are, in fact, in the minority on this topic. That is not to say your concern isn’t valid, it is; but most players would like to see this game more adequately reward skillful play.

If a game is too casual, then it inevitably follows a ‘bubble-and-burst’ life-cycle and this game wouldn’t exist for long. There are already concerns about players leaving and Anet is trying to cater to those individuals who are more likely to stay long term by giving them things to do in-game. More difficult content, or even just content that takes a longer time/more effort to complete will only help this games lifetime.

Lastly, while your gripe may have been aimed at the staff of ArenaNet, you posted it in the public forums. It is unreasonable to assume that only Anet staff members will read and/or reply to your comment if you do this. If you have a pressing concern that you wish to convey to Anet there are other, more direct methods that will be more effective.

Posted by: Altair.8402

Altair.8402

You have almost 3000 hours in this game, you’re not entitled to anything.

Tannin.1920

Thx for the anser Oberon, english is not my first language, im using google translator but the game is in the story here in my country.

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

Was working 50 hour weeks and am much older then you and still got everything I wanted. Sure it took me a bit longer but I always eventually get what I want and never a need to buy gems.

Make a list of goals. Stick to them. Learn how to farm in the SW. Do dungeons. Finding a good guild and making friends will also open a lot of doors for you.

I couldn’t disagree more with your post OP. GW2 is about as casual as it can get.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Tipper.6973

Tipper.6973

If you play 3-4 hours a day you are a hardcore player, not a casual. I play 3-4 hours a WEEK if I am lucky, and I have crafted full ascended gear without much effort. I don’t understand this post.

Posted by: A Volcano.2510

A Volcano.2510

I am in my 40s with three kids. Today I logged in for 3 minutes to collect my jumping puzzle rewards. I got up at 6 am and worked until 9 pm either at home or at work.

When I logged in at 9 pm I checked my jump puzzle rewards. Then I logged out.

Lol at playing for 3-4 hours a day being casual.

I don’t even remember a time when I could spend 3-4 hours a day on games.

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

So I’m 25 this year. I play roughly the same amount of time as the OP (avg 3hrs/day sometimes 0 sometimes more).
I work full time and am pretty social outside of the game.
So by your definition I am a casual player, yet I have made 5 legendaries (3 bound), have a full set of ascended gear and lots of miscellanous ascended gear scattered over characters. Plus I have the gold to make a full ascended set for my new Revenant in HoT. No this gold was not bought by credit card>gem>gold.

My question is, what does the OP do in his game time? Afk?

Kitten.

Posted by: Name.9128

Name.9128

I have 2000 hours in around the same amount of days. I’ve managed a legendary weapon and 2 sets of ascended armor. Nothing to complain about.

-Skydis

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Comments like yours op, makes me angry. For real.

I am 22 myself. I wake up on morning ( 6am ) to start working at 7:30. I stay at work for the whole day until 6 pm. I don’t go home then, I go to university, where there I stay until 10:30 pm. I get back on home around of 11:00 Pm, play for half hour to do my dailys cause I find it my “Time of fun” on the day.

At wekeend, I must split my time between Family, GF, University jobs and even give attention to my nephews that lives with me, sometimes acting as “Babysitter”.

I play the game probably far less than you do, and still I have crafted myself a few legendarys, I am dragon ranked On pvp, I have a good income of gold to keep all my needs on the game, and I am even at 22,5k Achievments atm, making myself on “Top 1000 ap players” of NA.

So, even with so few time left to play, and enver spending more than maybe 20 U$$ on the last 3 years playing the game, how do you think I got able to attain all of it? I mean, there’s nothing in this game that I did not got able to play, or experience. Just because this game IS COMPLETELY made for “Casuals” like me.

Pay some respect to other players, or “L2P” before coming to forums making such shaming statement that “The game isnot properly rewarding your 3 or 4 HOURS player per day”.

For real..

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

3 to 4 hours daily?
You have 2x the time I have per day and w/o gems I got:
Almost 21K AP, 2 full sets of asc armor (3/6 parts of my 3rd armor is done) about 8 asc weapons, a legendary weapon, every class at lvl 80, currently only rank 55 in PvP, above level 250 in WvW, all crafting skills maxed, dungeon master title, full luminescent set, dungeoneer almost done and list goes on.

Apparently you don’t really understand the concept of reward for effort.
You obviously have more time than I do, but somehow I earned WAY more than you say you did.
You don’t need to play hard to get rewards, you just need to play smart.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

I am very much a casual…both in terms of the amount of time that I spend in game and the intensity with which I play. My view of the game is very different from OP. I feel very rewarded. Most of my characters have ascended weapons. Two have a couple of pieces of ascended armor. Most have the ascended amulets and rings from laurels. I don’t really feel this is a grind, at least from my perspective. I set goals depending on my interests at any given time and then work those goals into my preferred game play. It’s not perfect. I do from time to time have to do something that I might not ordinarily do. Overall, though, I tend to play the way I want and feel that my rewards are appropriate (given the generally low level of rewards in this game).

By contrast, though, I have left other games because of what I perceived was an endless grind with extremely poor returns on the investment. I guess it kind of depends on your preferences and view of the game.

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

You’re not serious…?

This game caters more to casuals than just about any other MMO out there.
If this game isn’t casual enough for you, I think what you’re looking for is a game you can find in the App Store.

Maybe Angry Birds…?

Dragonbrand

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

What were you doing all the time lol?

And I thought I wasn’t effective.

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

This has to be a troll post.

Posted by: Testudo.4620

Testudo.4620

My dad only plays for a few hours a day and he has multiple ascended sets and 4 legendaries. He probably just has better time management skills than you.

Zhaife
Graduated top of class esports academy
#1 on fractal leaderboards

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Ehm, so why do you “need” ascended gear so badly?

Oh for the sake of all the kittens. Not this question again.

The WHOLE POINT of the game for virtually ALL PLAYERS is personal power progression. I don’t “need” to be level eighteen much less eighty, but I play the game and level up to cap anyway.

The need for Ascended gear is that it exists. Not what you may or may not use it for.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: EnRohbi.2187

EnRohbi.2187

Ehm, so why do you “need” ascended gear so badly?

Oh for the sake of all the kittens. Not this question again.

The WHOLE POINT of the game for virtually ALL PLAYERS is personal power progression. I don’t “need” to be level eighteen much less eighty, but I play the game and level up to cap anyway.

The need for Ascended gear is that it exists. Not what you may or may not use it for.

Erm, I think you might have missed the whole point of the game.
The “personal power progression” is meant to be a very short part of the journey, that’s where horizontal progression starts coming into play. Which has been stated multiple times by Anet (Multiple times) as what the whole point of the endgame is here. Horizontal, not vertical.

Ascended Armour was designed as “barely” stronger than Exotics specifically with this in mind.
So no, no one needs ascended armour.
I’ve been playing with mostly Exotics since launch and have zero issues in my abilities to do anything, including dungeons, fractals, wvw roaming, whatever I feel like doing.

If you feel absolutely compelled to get a full set of Ascended Armour and cannot live without it, that’s more of a “you” issue than anything else.

EDIT: I should add a bit to this before people say things, Ascended is a perfectly fine goal for people once Exotics are obtained. I’ve been working on my own lately just because I have nothing else to really strive for right now; also infusion slots.
It’s just not required, by any stretch, for anything except the higher fractal levels and even that’s only because of the infusion slots and have nothing to do with being more powerful.

Dragonbrand

(edited by EnRohbi.2187)

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Lazy != Casual Player

I think you will find Anet disagreeing here, given that there entire game and nearly every update has been pushed towards the Casual Player,

Dungeon changes
Fractal changes
Raids
Daily’s nerfed

Anet do not want you playing this game longer than an hour at a time, because those that do, start to see that they do not get rewarded for your time, so if you can login do daily, and a quick fractal and log out you will feel rewarded for your time.

Anyone who thinks this game is for anyone other than the causal gamer is joking themselves,

Ill go as far to say, that after HoT is released you will see more and more stuff being changed to allow the 1 hour players taking advantage, anyone else to bad.

Nike.2631

Erm, I think you might have missed the whole point of the game.

Oh no. I remember how it launched. And I also watched it start bleeding players who had achieved the apex of personal power so they scrambled to tack on a hugely time consuming new teir of gear/power progression.

The “personal power progression” is meant to be a very short part of the journey, that’s where horizontal progression starts coming into play.

What they initially “meant it to be” quickly took a back see to the reality of what drives player retention – a goal to progress towards.

Horizontal progression is just that – a goal. One that thankfully doesn’t’ feed your power at any given moment, but flexibility of options is power too, and people will chase it eagerly.

Which has been stated multiple times by Anet (Multiple times) as what the whole point of the endgame is here. Horizontal, not vertical.

Yup. It’s what the figured out to do after the initial panic-response that created Ascended gear.

Ascended Armour was designed as “barely” stronger than Exotics specifically with this in mind.

We must play different MMO outside of GW2, because 5% isn’t “barely” anything. That’s substantial. And the fact they’re going to double the gap between Exotic and Asceneded stats isn’t pushing for “barely”, that’s more “promote up or be left behind.”

See you in the raids. Only I won’t. Because ‘all orange’ is getting kicked by any sensible raid leader.

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

…Unlike adolescents aged 15 to 25 who mostly do not have children, job or something I have 39 years and do not feel that the game is fair to me rewarding me in 3 or 4 hours I can play every day…

First of all, what? I know people with kids who play that have legendary weapons. Secondly, 3-4 hours is not casual. I play 2-3 hours a day, and I have 2 legenadaries.

Is fair only those who have the spare time can have the best items in the game?

You say you’re 39, and yet you don’t know the how the world works. The more time and effort you are willing the spend, the better and/or faster you can get those rewards. The exception is the players who play “efficiently” and have proper working knowledge of what to do when and why. You clearly don’t know how to utilize your time properly even after playing 3-4 hours if you have to use gems to get ascended gear…

Ascended armor are only really required for those who do high level fractals, which is for the elite/hardcore (except not really because even casuals can get fully ascended). So I don’t even know why you’re complaining buddy.

TL;DR – OP probably RPs for 3-4 hours and then complains about how it’s so hard to get ascended armor.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

(edited by Avster.1935)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

See you in the raids. Only I won’t. Because ‘all orange’ is getting kicked by any sensible raid leader.

That’s what guilds and friends are for. Yes, not all guilds will be casual raiding guilds, there will be hard core raiding guilds where you must have the best gear and be meta and all that and that’s just fine, but there will be casual raiding groups where people go in with full exotics and builds put together that they’ve found will defeat the raid bosses by trial and error.

And friends would be willing to run raids together on occasion even if not everyone had maxed out gear. Because that’s what friends do.

Nike.2631

If they tune them for all orange, all ascended squads are gonna burn them to the ground. I don’t anticipate Anet building “challenging content” that will make them a laughingstock, but we’ll see.

Posted by: xadine.7069

xadine.7069

The thing is, challenge is not about stats but about player skill.
If raids are good challenging content, it won’t matter much if you exotic or ascend.
Unless ofc if Anet fall (again!) for what I call the Final Fantasy effect, i.e. hard = huge hp pool and OS spells. Wich isn’t challenging and only require too melt down the boss before he can do the same to the party.
Ofc no matter what ascend will be better than exotic and you’ll see “LFG: ascend meta only”, but it should’nt be require imo. And I don’t think Anet aim for it either.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

This game has almost completely catered to casual players. It’s practically ignored everyone else. If anything it needs much more content for non-casuals. And I’m sorry but ascended gear, while grindy is still very easy to get even for a casual player.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

Thats the beauty of f2p:
-if you want something fast and you dont have time- buy gems-convert to gold
-if you want something fast and you have time – grind it

Nike.2631

You’re fooling yourself if you think there aren’t people that are both skillful and apex-geared. And those people dish 10% more effectiveness than the all-orange and skillful. And most people who are genuinely skillful KNOW they need to be packing the best stats they can get for iffy encounters if only to increase their margin for error and to not drag their team down with shoddy preparation.

If raids are good challenging content, it won’t matter much if you exotic or ascend.

If it’s tuned so soft you can clear it skillful and all-orange, skillful and all-ascended is gonna make it a blowout. That’s enough functionality left over to clear it a man down.

Ofc no matter what ascend will be better than exotic and you’ll see “LFG: ascend meta only”, but it should’nt be require imo. And I don’t think Anet aim for it either.

You have an interesting definition of “challenging”. Sort of a “I want it to be hard, but not so hard I can’t pull it of in gear I bought of the TP 30 seconds after I hit level cap. Yeah. That’s hard enough. The people who’ve been tricking out their toons for 3 years now, they don’t need any challenge in their lives…”

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

You’re fooling yourself if you think there aren’t people that are both skillful and apex-geared. And those people dish 10% more effectiveness than the all-orange and skillful. And most people who are genuinely skillful KNOW they need to be packing the best stats they can get for iffy encounters if only to increase their margin for error and to not drag their team down with shoddy preparation.

If it’s tuned so soft you can clear it skillful and all-orange, skillful and all-ascended is gonna make it a blowout. That’s enough functionality left over to clear it a man down.

You have an interesting definition of “challenging”. Sort of a “I want it to be hard, but not so hard I can’t pull it of in gear I bought of the TP 30 seconds after I hit level cap. Yeah. That’s hard enough. The people who’ve been tricking out their toons for 3 years now, they don’t need any challenge in their lives…”

I think the point, Nike, is that skillful with orange beating content can also mean not skillful and purple loses. Yes skillful and purple can do it easier but you’re placing far too much on gear – the best WoW guilds clear the hard stuff without having bis gear because they murder the content fewer times (so don’t grind out the gear advantage worse guilds do by killing the previous bosses multiple times on the way up).

I don’t know why you’ve gone down this line of argument, it leads to your defeat.

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

….I am more interested on how you managed to not build ascended given how much playtime you have gathered. You have to be actively avoiding crafted the ascended pieces with that much playtime.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: XPilo.5862

XPilo.5862

I have 39 years and do not feel that the game is fair to me rewarding me in 3 or 4 hours I can play every day.

Man I am 34 years old, have to study in the university, work and have a social life. Still you have more time to play than me. I play 2-3 hours at day, some times i just log in to get the daily reward. I couldn’t play the game for almost 6 months, and I already have 2 legendarys, 2 full ascendant sets, level 50 fractal, rank 78 in pvp, 6 levels 80, a lot of nice skins, a lot of toys from gemstore that I buyed using gold, 15k achievements points.

And the only things I do is play the game the way i like i don’t even need farm or grind, i crafted the ascendant sets using the mats i got from salvage all drops i get, plus some chest from pvp and fractals. I got my 2 precursor using dungeons weapons on the forge. GW2 rewarded me for just play the game what more can you ask?

PD: My only complain is in that in 3 years I don’t get a single precursor from a drop. Still thinking is a myth that they can be droped.
PD2: sorry for my bad english.

(edited by XPilo.5862)

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

We must play different MMO outside of GW2, because 5% isn’t “barely” anything. That’s substantial. And the fact they’re going to double the gap between Exotic and Asceneded stats isn’t pushing for “barely”, that’s more “promote up or be left behind.”

I usually agree with your comments Nike but I disagree with this line of argument. It is covered in Elitism drivel.

There is nothing in the game right now that makes full ascended mandatory to have. I run WvW roaming and lvl 50 fracts on characters with no ascended armor and a couple in full ascended armor and I can’t even tell the difference.

Plus, I love the ability to swap out armor/runes depending on what fractal we are facing. That versatility is pretty nice and putting all my AR into my trinkets/weapons allows me to do this.

We have no idea what raids will bring but I can tell you that our guild has some smart/intelligent players in it and we will be running raids with many of them not in full ascended and I feel we will do just fine thank you.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Nike.2631

What’s elitist about Ascended gear at this point? Its commonplace. It takes no special elitist skill to acquire just time and/or coin. Ascended is merely good preparation at this point and good preparation IS A MEASURE OF SKILL.

Scaling the difficulty of what’s being offered as “challenging” content MUST take into account the most challenge-seeking portion of the player base has long since checked off this step and ArenaNet — not me or anyone else being accused of “elitism” — are the ones DOUBLING the stat gap between Exotic and Ascended tiers. I promise they aren’t doing that to make all-Ascended-geared folk have a cakewalk in Raids. The two things ARE connected.

If I’m a raid leader and I’m setting-up a raid and you say “I’m in all orange” I’m gonna ask “why?” Because on the whole raiding is a long term commitment to advancement and preparation the same way I’m gonna make sure you brought role-appropriate food and “all-orange” is none of those things. If I know you personally and have a certainty about your skills “I just leveled this character up to fill our composition” is perfectly valid but even then Asceneded gear is account bound so how does it happen you don’t have anything (weapons, jewelry, armor) on your account you couldn’t swap over? Surely you have enough laurels to go buy a couple of pieces of jewelry?

I don’t expect to build compositions from all-ascended. There’s gonna be some orange in the mix. But all-orange? Get your kit together. This ain’t the Shatterer we’re running tonight.