Please Don't Invalidate My Class (Again)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Nebroxah.5387

Nebroxah.5387

Ok, here we go. The new Revenant looks, well, amazing. I mean, dual-wielding swords with jade daggers that stab people as a healing spell awesome. This class seems totally prepared to dominate.

In fact… I hate to say it, but it might be too awesome.

I remember not too long ago, when I was playing Guild Wars 1. I ran a Warrior. Beefcake, sword and board at the ready, loaded up on Strength and ready to Hundred Blades any opponent into oblivion. But then came Nightfall. Then, came the Dervish.

Since that day, in Guild Wars 1, there has been no reason whatsoever to play a Warrior.
Damage? Dervish.
Tanking? Dervish.
Single-Target? Dervish.
Multi-Target? Especially Dervish.
More energy? Oh yeah, Dervish.
PVE kings? Dervish again.
PVP usability? What? Oh, Dervish.
Knock knock, who’s there? Dervish.
The only disadvantage to playing those sun-baked special snowflakes was having to fight in a dress.

The Warrior class lost not just its identity, but its usefulness. It’s not that there was a player preference to pick a Derv, it’s that there were clear gameplay advantages to picking a Derv without balancing factors. Ok, so their armor score wasn’t as high, but come on, you built the game with a meta that specifically drove away from tanking anyway, and decided to go for dps race / heals as the only factor.

So now, it’s 2015. I’m playing a Warrior. Again. In a meta without tanking. Again. And dang does this Revenant guy look awesome. I just hope he’s not too awesome.

Posted by: Tarasicodissa.7084

Tarasicodissa.7084

I wouldn’t worry about that. There are very specific reasons why warrior is being brough into most dungeon groups. Banners, EA, PS. No other class can do that. No other class (including revenant as far as I can say) can give might to group during battle so reliably. Revenant might be good. But even having superior DPS (look at engi pre-patch) doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be more useful in good coordinated groups.

Posted by: TwoGhosts.6790

TwoGhosts.6790

Lots of people seem to be saying he’s ‘all gong no dinner’ at the moment in terms of dps, so your warrior might survive.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Ok, here we go. The new Revenant looks, well, amazing. I mean, dual-wielding swords with jade daggers that stab people as a healing spell awesome. This class seems totally prepared to dominate.

I remember not too long ago, when I was playing Guild Wars 1. I ran a Warrior. Beefcake, sword and board at the ready, loaded up on Strength and ready to Hundred Blades any opponent into oblivion. But then came Nightfall. Then, came the Dervish.

Since that day, in Guild Wars 1, there has been no reason whatsoever to play a Warrior.
Damage? Dervish.
Tanking? Dervish.
Single-Target? Dervish.
The only disadvantage to playing those sun-baked special snowflakes was having to fight in a dress.

The Warrior class lost not just its identity, but its usefulness. It’s not that there was a player preference to pick a Derv, it’s that there were clear gameplay advantages to picking a Derv without balancing factors. Ok, so their armor score wasn’t as high, but come on, you built the game with a meta that specifically drove away from tanking anyway, and decided to go for dps race / heals as the only factor.

So now, it’s 2015. I’m playing a Warrior. Again. In a meta without tanking. Again. And dang does this Revenant guy look awesome. I just hope he’s not too awesome.

You and I remember GW1 very differently.

You are generalizing in an almost criminal way. Yes, Dervish was severly overpowered when they were released with Nightfall. Right until the point where anet gutted the class for years to come shortly after.

There was almost no gvg meta of significant length where warrior was not being used. Especially in front line target calling, knockdown provider and single damage dealer warrior was near mandatory.

I played extensive amounts of time on a Dervish AFTER they had nerfed the class (and years later buffed up again). Most of the points you counted down were moot by then.

Finaly, you are complaining about a class that has siginifcant issues and isn’t even out of beta for the sake of, well I’m not sure really. It’s like worrying about the sky falling down.

Not to mention that GW2 is built completely different than GW1 and we have a soft trinity versus a traditional hard holy trinity which allows for more than black and white as far as class requirements goes.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

What looks good on paper doesn’t always work when it comes to the real deal.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Try playing Ranger, where every class already invalidates your class.

Posted by: Elodium.7263

Elodium.7263

Can you try to play a class because you enjoy it, not because its great at most roles. So what if your warrior or whatever class you would play, is not the best? Does that mean you wont enjoy it anymore? Who cares if by running a warrior you do a dungeon 2 minutes slower? Big deal. Or whatever content you enjoy playing.

This is a game. Try to have fun with what you enjoy, not whats best at a given time.

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

You are generalizing in an almost criminal way. Yes, Dervish was severly overpowered when they were released with Nightfall. Right until the point where anet gutted the class for years to come shortly after.

There was almost no gvg meta of significant length where warrior was not being used. Especially in front line target calling, knockdown provider and single damage dealer warrior was near mandatory.

I played extensive amounts of time on a Dervish AFTER they had nerfed the class (and years later buffed up again). Most of the points you counted down were moot by then.

I think it’s pretty telling ANet had to overhaul the Dervish. It was overshadowed by Warrior so badly the only time it was used in optimized play was for gimmicky builds. Even after the overhaul, I remember loving Dervish opponents in PvP, because I was primarily a Mesmer player and could usually disable them almost too easily.

(edited by dekou.6012)

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

I’ve been particularly against new professions because of how new professions were handled in GW1: ritualist was able to solo the whole Prophecies content using spirit spam; assassin was the cream of the crop to solo all PvE content; paragon had one decent build, but the imbagon was a staple to bring into every demanding PvE content; dervish was later toned down a bit (or, rather, put in line), but still was a very strong option as d/rt.
Power creep is much, much harder to handle when new pieces enter the chessboard. I’m already seeing it in Heroes of the Storm and i fear it will be the same here.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Dervish was good for a time after its release, then it was nerfed really hard and stayed like that for several years, it was buffed to playable state about 1 year before GW2 release.

Also, people were saying that Rev looked too OP for several reasons, then they played on beta and guess what? All you hear is how weak it is.

So, just wait a bit more, play it and then start to give your opinions with more information than none at all.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: DPDude.7205

DPDude.7205

Hah! This. We tend to kick every ranger from the group when we put our party in the LFG tool. Rangers screw up too many things because they can’t stow their pet.

May the Foefire take you!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think it’s pretty telling ANet had to overhaul the Dervish. It was overshadowed by Warrior so badly the only time it was used in optimized play was for gimmicky builds. Even after the overhaul, I remember loving Dervish opponents in PvE, because I was primarily a Mesmer player and could usually disable them almost too easily.

To be fair, Sin, Rit and Para all had the same issues as Derv when first released if I recall. I remember a very similar complaint to the OPs, only about Sin when Factions came out. Sin was the “developer favorite” at that time.

But, they were all a bit OP to start, then they got hit hard with nerf hammers and only later actually got any decent balancing (for some of them).

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: I See No Tomorrow.7302

I See No Tomorrow.7302

You used “special snowflake” unironically and it makes it difficult for me to take you seriously. Also whether or not dervs wore dresses (and whether or not that’s bad somehow?) is subject to interpretation but I urge you to look up the real-life whirling dervishes who clearly influenced GW1 dervish design and animation.

But on-topic: all the folks have said it already but yeah, Derv was great for a bit after release then it simply wasn’t. If we’re all going for the “best” profession and said “best” profession deals the highest DPS, that’s a purely mathematical standpoint. As others have pointed out, the point of playing a profession is usually to play whichever is the most fun.

You seem to enjoy playing warrior in both GW1 and GW2, so why stop? You clearly dislike the aesthetic of dervishes but enjoy the aesthetic of revenants (maybe?). You could always play both professions, or still main a warrior even if Shiro revenants prove to be “better” DPS-wise, couldn’t you?

Also, unlike dervishes, our previews of actually playing revenant have been less than impressive so you likely have little to worry about until they re-balance the profession.

Posted by: Sthenith.5196

Sthenith.5196

Rangers screw up too many things because they can’t stow their pet.

You can put it way, but those buggers pop up as soon as you attack.

It’s something a lot of rangers (if not all) have asked for for a long time now. The disabling of pets for certain situations. Doesn’t seem that hard to do, but apparently it’s not a dev’s priority.

For now, rangers have to settle for guard mode, but even then it’s troublesome. I just use a pet for the might stack and keep it close.

DPDude.7205

It’s something a lot of rangers (if not all) have asked for for a long time now. The disabling of pets for certain situations. Doesn’t seem that hard to do, but apparently it’s not a dev’s priority.

For now, rangers have to settle for guard mode, but even then it’s troublesome. I just use a pet for the might stack and keep it close.

You guys needs a tamable kittenroach (insert Korean censorship now!) No matter how many times you squash them, they will keep coming back.

(edited by DPDude.7205)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

It’s not a priority because if they ever added the ability to get buffs once you stow a pet, nobody would ever play with a pet out.

DPDude.7205

It’s not a priority because if they ever added the ability to get buffs once you stow a pet, nobody would ever play with a pet out.

Isn’t this what we all want, really? No more pets running around, screwing things up?

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

From what we’ve seen so far, Revenants pay for their tons of double-use abilities and multi-effect stuff with a very weak overall power.

This could balance out. Able to do a ton of things with their two stances ,two elites, etc, but lacking a raw punch. Be it in damage, toughness, CC, healing, anything.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

We must have played different games as Dervish never took import over Warrior in the GW1 I played outside initial release until the nerfing of enchant bombing. Outside certain niche builds and circumstances they actually sucked in comparison.

Rest easy bud. They won’t mess with Warriors.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: William Bradley Knight.2609

William Bradley Knight.2609

We must have played different games as Dervish never took import over Warrior in the GW1 I played outside initial release until the nerfing of enchant bombing. Outside certain niche builds and circumstances they actually sucked in comparison.

Rest easy bud. They won’t mess with Warriors.

This is how I remember it as well. But scythe was often used/useful on other classes. :-)

fireflyry.7023

As a Sin I remember some great joke builds.

lol

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Warrior is the actuall might/deeps increaser main component in groups (Empower allies, Banners, Phalanx strenght, etc..).

Revenant might come with a cool dps setup, but I highly doubt it will ever overshadow the HUGE ammount of dps support/increase that warrior gives.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The fact that the OP considers “their” class invalidated when a new one is introduced kind of points to the perspective problem with this entire thread. If the Revenant is so OP that it becomes the class of choice for power hungry players, wouldn’t that “invalidate” all other classes?

Again, looking at it from a purely “DPS RULZ ALL!!!”, point of view…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

OP you are lucky.

I main a necro, so right now, no matter if the dervish is op or not,

Damage? Not Necro.
Tanking? Not necro.
Single-Target? Not Necro.
Multi-Target? Not necro (but not so bad either)
More energy? Not Necro.
PVE kings? Not Necro.
PVP usability? Not Necro.
Knock knock, who’s there?- Necro – Sorry, no necros allowed in the party.
The only advantage to playing these sun-forgotten special snowflakes is looking cool.

fireflyry.7023

Try being a Thief main…I feel your pain.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

OP you are lucky.

Damage? Not Necro.
Tanking? Not necro.
More energy? Not Necro.
PVE kings? Not Necro.
The only advantage to playing these sun-forgotten special snowflakes is looking cool.

How is a necro only “not so bad” at multi-target damage? And since when is a Necro not useable in PvP? Necros can also tank pretty well, if there were an actual need for tanks.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Now I want to play a Dervish in GW2.

Bring on the Dervish!

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

fireflyry.7023

Tbh I kind of feel that way too.

#logs into GW1#

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

OP you are lucky.

Damage? Not Necro.
Tanking? Not necro.
More energy? Not Necro.
PVE kings? Not Necro.

How is a necro only “not so bad” at multi-target damage? And since when is a Necro not useable in PvP? Necros can also tank pretty well, if there were an actual need for tanks.

Necromancer weapons don’t cleave, except for dagger which only cleaves to 2 enemies.

That leaves necromancer damage way behind most others classes in “stack and pull mobs situations.”. Damage wells (& really only well of suffering, because well of corruption is weak) reduce but do not eliminate this weakness.

In Pvp situations, necromancer multi target damage is worse. Players just run out of wells, dagger cleave is too small to multi hit, and staff mark damage is awful unless transferring conditions. There’s certainly nothing like a spammable AoE or a spammable bouncing projectile on the class.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Glenstorm.4059

Glenstorm.4059

Lolwut. I mained a derv in GW1, and they were overshadowed by Warriors in almost all modes (outside of niche uses running, where D/A has always been amazing.) In fact, Assassins, Warriors and Rangers could all use the scythe (Dervish primary weapon) better than the Dervish could! Assassins got Critical Strikes to gain ridiculous damage from the scythe, Warriors got Strength for +armor penetration, and Rangers got Expertise to spam scythe skills faster.

Here are the update notes for the big Dervish overhaul from way back when:

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Feedback:Developer_updates/20110217

“We noticed, however, that this weapon enjoys much more popularity in classes other than Dervish, due to its high critical damage and the high bonus damage from skills. When professions like Assassin or Warrior use the scythe, they can use their primary attributes to get much more damage out of it than a primary Dervish. Similarly, Rangers wielding scythes can use attack skills more frequently due to Expertise. "

….Lol

Even after the initial big nerf to the Dervish, it took Anet years to rework the profession with Flash Enchantments and adrenaline skills, and even after those changes Warriors were still kings of PvE.

Warrior has always been and will always be Anet’s golden child, because it is such an easy class to pick up and win with.

Fear the might of SHATTERSTONE.

(edited by Glenstorm.4059)

fireflyry.7023

The best thing about Dervish was utilizing their skills for builds on every other class but Dervish.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Isn’t the necro sort of getting the “Dervish elite specialisation” with reaper ?

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Lolwut. I mained a derv in GW1, and they were overshadowed by Warriors in almost all modes (outside of niche uses running, where D/A has always been amazing.) In fact, Assassins, Warriors and Rangers could all use the scythe (Dervish primary weapon) better than the Dervish could! Assassins got Critical Strikes to gain ridiculous damage from the scythe, Warriors got Strength for +armor penetration, and Rangers got Expertise to spam scythe skills faster.

“We noticed, however, that this weapon enjoys much more popularity in classes other than Dervish, due to its high critical damage and the high bonus damage from skills. When professions like Assassin or Warrior use the scythe, they can use their primary attributes to get much more damage out of it than a primary Dervish. Similarly, Rangers wielding scythes can use attack skills more frequently due to Expertise. "

….Lol

Even after the initial big nerf to the Dervish, it took Anet years to rework the profession with Flash Enchantments and adrenaline skills, and even after those changes Warriors were still kings of PvE.

Warrior has always and will always be Anet’s golden child, because it is such an easy class to pick up and win with.

I agree 100%. It’s quite simple, Warriors are good so a new player can be “good enough” to play content with out falling over too much that they think they’ll never play again. Its true of every fantasy game. Heavy armor classes tend to be “new player” friendly.

But as for Derv being the best thing ever in GW1. I mained a warrior in GW1 and still do when I play. I’ve neven been passed over for a Derv, to tell the truth, I don’t remember playing that often with Dervs. I saw sin’s and Rits way more than paras and Dervs.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

fireflyry.7023

Oh dear….I had’nt thought of the word “Wammo” in years.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

They don’t do it because they desperately cling to this idea that they have to have a pet class and ranger has to be that pet class.
Because I guarantee you the day they allow rangers to turn in their pets – stow them and maybe get a different bonus/boost if no pet is equipped given the terrible pet AI and encounter design – that’s the day 90% of rangers quit pets forever.

And you can’t sell well without having a “pet class” so they will force rangers into pets forever. Sad but true.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

Damage? Dervish.
Tanking? Dervish.
Single-Target? Dervish.

i see your point and i’ll give u some hope

Class HP
every armor class has 3 HP values

Base Health at levels 1 and 80 Level 1 Base Health Level 80 Base Health Level 1 + Vitality Level 80 + Vitality
Warrior, Necromancer, 28 (24 Vit) 9,212 (926 Vit) 268 18,472
Engineer, Ranger, Mesmer, Revenant 18 (24 Vit) 5,922 (926 Vit) 258 15,182
Guardian, Thief, Elementalist 5 (24 Vit) 1,645 (926 Vit) 245 10,905

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Health

warrior has the hp.
and the ability to have armor,hp, and dmg at once

the revanent has more defense and attack and so on. but not at the same time

it focuses on one at a time.
so it goes offensive, but loses defense
it goes defensive. but loses offensive

this is where warrior shines, it doesnt give up anything in favor of the other. it gets both

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

OP you are lucky.

Damage? Not Necro.
Tanking? Not necro.
More energy? Not Necro.
PVE kings? Not Necro.

Necros were basically gods in GW1 though.

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

I fail to see how revenant is going to out do warrior of all classes. Warrior has access to a lot of buffs that revenant doesn’t have and at least for dungens will not be pushed out of the meta. As far as the rest of PvE can’t say because HoT is supposedly going to change the meta. PvP wise warrior will still have at least one build that is decent or at least better than revenant. Whether it will be meta in high end play is anyone’s guess with specializations coming and what not.

On the other hand I do think revenant will invalidate the thief. Thieves only have one useful mode that is shared through all game modes and that is DPS. If revenant has more or equal DPS combined with all that support there will be no point to bring a thief along for ANY part of the game and I don’t see a specialization adding anymore variety, but who knows really. On top of that Shiro kind of robs thieves of their identity.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

Damage? Dervish.
Tanking? Dervish.
Single-Target? Dervish.

How much GW1 did you really play? Because warriors got into parties for elite zones and dungeons. Dervs didn’t. Hardly an invalidation.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Quite.

They don’t do it because they desperately cling to this idea that they have to have a pet class and ranger has to be that pet class.
Because I guarantee you the day they allow rangers to turn in their pets – stow them and maybe get a different bonus/boost if no pet is equipped given the terrible pet AI and encounter design – that’s the day 90% of rangers quit pets forever.

And you can’t sell well without having a “pet class” so they will force rangers into pets forever. Sad but true.

Or the people who play ranger for the pet would just quit the game, entirely.

The only way you can allow hunters/rangers to play without pets, is if they are still marginally better (on paper, at least) with them.

That way, if/when the pet UI screws up, they just become as bad, on average, as petless hunters/rangers; not worse.

…and as for class balance, in general – all classes should be made as equal as is humanly possible.

No one class should dominate.

Anything else is just bad design.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: BattleCat.2098

BattleCat.2098

How come every single time a new class is being introduced, people worry about their old ones? It’s not just in Guild Wars, but in every single MMORPG I’ve ever played. Heck, in every single class-game I’ve played. Same with nerfs. One class too powerful? Some people love it, most people don’t, because it’s too powerful and ruins the balance. Then the devs nerf that class, and we get loads of complains that the class is ruined – simply because it’s not just sa good as the rest.

Ease up, people. Yes, we are getting a new class in GW2, but no, it doesn’t mean we can delete other classes. The new class is an addition to the game, not a replacement for another class. Oh, sure, it might be a bit too powerful at first, but this is normal. A couple of patches in rapid succession over the next couple of days/weeks will take care of that. And no, that does not mean they are ruining the new class. It means they are making the game better.

Honestly, I wish people could be more willing to look at the bigger picture, and stop being so concerned that their favorite class is being ruined. Especially when it’s not even affected.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Hehe, I hashed together a W/D in GW1 for the lulz. Put points into Strength for the armour penetration and Scythe mastery of course. for the crits Loaded up on various adrenlin and energy based skills. Taking some of the melee attacks with built in armour penetration plus the strength based AP and either a sundering, zealous or even vampiric scythe, you could pack a pretty good punch.

This is especially considering that many of the dervish’s melee attacks ran on adrenalin and there are ways to give your warrior a boost to adrenalin before combat reducing your ramp up time to using the attacks. Good for something different in PVE since I didn’t play pvp

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

What looks good on paper doesn’t always work when it comes to the real deal.

Necromancer says whats up.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

As a ranger, I have a hard time sympathizing with a warrior. You’ll be fine OP. Warriors are still the darlings of Anet and bring a lot to the table.

Posted by: Enokitake.1742

Enokitake.1742

….Lol

Warrior has always been and will always be Anet’s golden child, because it is such an easy class to pick up and win with.

I logged in to agree with this cause it’s so accurate. Dervish was no where near as good as good as we’re pretending it was in GW1. Heck the best part of dervish was using it to get ran halfway around the world or as secondary for scythe abuse and earth skills on enchantment heavy builds which gave you damage mitigation to lulz at things trying to kill you while destroying whatever you were fighting. …Like earth elementalist/dervish or the 500 variations of this lulzy bullcrap that showed up to half your fort aspenwood or alliance battles.

In all seriousness, you probably won’t have a problem. Revanent doesn’t have banners, phalanx strength, 5 second weapon swapping (with insanely low cool-down to damage output ratio), eviscerate/adrenaline skills etc…

And hey if you are displaced… just transfer all your account bound ascended gear and armor to Revanent since it uses half the same weapons and heavy armor anyway, and change the stats in the mystic forge.

(edited by Enokitake.1742)

Posted by: Khenzo.2465

Khenzo.2465

This is a strange concept to probably lots of mmo players, but…BUT you CAN play a class based on something called personal prefernce! : O! Who wouda guessed!

I really hate the “welp I guess I’m going to reroll when X comes out because it’s better than Y, which is what I play!” crowd, absolutely hate the vast majority of them.

Like someone else said, is clearing a dungeon or a fractal freaking 2 minutes faster really worth dropping a class you enjoy for something else that you have less fun on just because it’s a bit better in certain situations or aspects?

I really don’t understand why this phenomenon even exists.

And slightly off topic, but it’s staggering how many comments I’ve read about people comparting Rev to their main class because alot of these times it becomes horribly apprent they aren’t even fully aware of what their own class can do.

Posted by: RubberDougie.2750

RubberDougie.2750

Hah! This. We tend to kick every ranger from the group when we put our party in the LFG tool. Rangers screw up too many things because they can’t stow their pet.

I wish there was an option to report you for being a kitten. I will be blocking you in-game.

Posted by: Tristan.5678

Tristan.5678

Warrior crying join Necro pit of meta humiliation..

Harper.4173

Or the people who play ranger for the pet would just quit the game, entirely.

The only way you can allow hunters/rangers to play without pets, is if they are still marginally better (on paper, at least) with them.

That way, if/when the pet UI screws up, they just become as bad, on average, as petless hunters/rangers; not worse.

…and as for class balance, in general – all classes should be made as equal as is humanly possible.

No one class should dominate.

Anything else is just bad design.

That’s just the problem – it is bad design. Because the way pets work now they’re terrible to have and the consequences can be seen in people not wanting to take rangers along.

I’m not saying remove pets – I’m saying give players a choice not to have them.
The people that LIKE having a pet have no reason to quit since they can still have their pet and play with it.

All I would like is for the people that HATE the pet to be given an option to play without it.

If the pet was powered by DECENT AI and if you could influence and preset his behavior more maybe he’d actually be an asset.

Think how cool it would be if you could have “pet traits” that tell your pet what to do – like use its CC if it’s off cooldown if some enemy nearby is trying to get off a stomp.

These things could in theory have been done to make the pet feel less of a burden and more of a helpful AI companion that fights beside you and that will actually contribute.

Harper.4173

I wish there was an option to report you for being a kitten. I will be blocking you in-game.

You might be mad but he’s right. 8/10 rangers in my parties end up ruining things. Not even worth the risk.