Please adjust overinflated crafting costs

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

Can we please begin to address the ridiculous requirements for some of the recipes introduced in Heart of Thorns? Specifically at this point glass and linseed oil pop to mind.

I headed into Silverwastes today to finish off my Core Tyria masteries when I noticed I had several thousand bandit crests. I didn’t have much use for them anymore so I dumped them all into sandy bags. I ended up with over 300 bags and from those I got a bit over six stacks of sand. From that sand I got enough materials to make an amazing SEVENTEEN glass mugs. Can we just stop for a moment to gaze in amazement at that 17 and contemplate what a ridiculous conversion rate this is?

I’m in a decently sized guild and we’ve been able to knock out most of the guild upgrades we’ve focused on, but we’ve made remarkably little progress on Tavern Restoration 2. Because why would you ever bother? I know I have no further desire to fill my inventory with sand to maybe walk away with a handful of glass mugs.

Heart of Thorns has been out for close to four months now and I know that the cost of Scribing is being examined. Can we extrapolate a little bit and consider the costs of all the HoT recipes and crafting now that the economy has settled? I know I can’t be the only one who got sticker shock when playing HoT because everything felt like a giant gold or resource sink. So in that regard I also doubt I’m the only one who would like to see costs re-examined so it doesn’t feel like I’m throwing time and resources into a blackhole with very little to show for it.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

6 stacks of sand is 1500 sand → 500 glass → 167 glass mugs? Why do you count 17? I don’t get it.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Surek.3056

Surek.3056

6 stacks of sand is 1500 sand -> 500 glass -> 167 glass mugs? Why do you count 17? I don’t get it.

lol mate I think you forgot to scratch a zero there. 1500 silky sand yields (max) 150 coarse sand, which translates to 50 lumps of glass, and finally around 17 glass mugs.

That is, of course, if you’re lucky enough to have all that silky sand converted into coarse sand. Which isn’t usually the case since you get geodes/crests/keys/nothing in return as well.

Unless I’m mistaken and the OP really meant 6 stacks of coarse, which I doubt tbh. But I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Tapioca.9062

Not course sand, piles of sand. I ended up with somewhere around 150 course sand but I likely already had some in my mat bank before I started. Considering that, the 17 mug results is even worse in retrospect.

While I’m back here though, let’s also talk about empty kegs. You need 200 empty kegs for Tavern Restoration 2. The market value of an empty keg is about 3g 22s. That means the total market value for this one requirement is 644 gold. This is more than I paid for my precursor. The costs are just completely out of whack. And for what reward? The tavern looks a little nicer and that’s really about it. If the cost of the upgrade is comparable to the cost of making a legendary when all market values are factored in, then it should be nicest upgrade in the game. I don’t know what, add some particle effects or something? Call it a legendary tavern? Failing that, the costs should seriously be looked at.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

True mate but that was your precursor and this is your whole guilds tavern ofcourse you cant compare the prices not everyone in your guild can share the same precursor

Tapioca.9062

I appreciate that the costs of the guild hall upgrades are meant to be distributed even though at this point it doesn’t seem to be working that way since the cost of the upgrade greatly exceeds its actual benefits. The point of comparing the cost of this one requirement to a precursor was to give the value a frame of reference. We all know that 644 gold is a good chunk of change, but as an abstract figure it can be difficult to conceptualise. Saying a precursor’s worth of gold is just a useful frame of reference to demonstrate how expensive this requirement is, even if the costs are paid in a distributed way.

Linken.6345

I appreciate that the costs of the guild hall upgrades are meant to be distributed even though at this point it doesn’t seem to be working that way since the cost of the upgrade greatly exceeds its actual benefits. The point of comparing the cost of this one requirement to a precursor was to give the value a frame of reference. We all know that 644 gold is a good chunk of change, but as an abstract figure it can be difficult to conceptualise. Saying a precursor’s worth of gold is just a useful frame of reference to demonstrate how expensive this requirement is, even if the costs are paid in a distributed way.

and if you are a 50 man guild its 13 gold each just some pocket change

Posted by: Thrist.9046

Thrist.9046

My guild did the tavern upgrade a while ago already. I agree it’s expensive, but it’s supposed to be a guild project. My guild is currently up to level 41. We’re just about have Further Explorations unlocked, then we’ll probably take a break.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Remember, that’s only one material among many, for a single upgrade among many.
Also, do guilds smaller than 50 people really need to pay out of their noses for guild upgrades?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Linken.6345

Also, do guilds smaller than 50 people really need to pay out of their noses for guild upgrades?

We only got one size fit all guild halls so all pay the same sadly, do I wish it were like that no but thats what we got.
Ofcourse if we had diffrent sizes with smaller cost the bonuses would have to be diffrent sizes aswell dont you agree?

(edited by Linken.6345)

Astralporing.1957

We only got one size fit all guild halls so all pay the same sadly, do I wish it were like that no but thats what we got.
Ofcourse if we had diffrent sizes with smaller cost the bonuses would have to be diffrent sizes aswell dont you agree?

Oh, but they are. Unless you’re saying that in a guild of 5 and a guild of 250 the same number of people uses, for example, exp bonus, or waypoint cost reduction.

The effect of each upgrade per person is the same regardless of guild size, but the cost per person is lower for bigger guilds.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

The effect of each upgrade per person is the same regardless of guild size, but the cost per person is lower for bigger guilds.

Think you made typo there: its same per guild.

Anyway, pretty sure Anet already mentioned they are “looking intoways to reduce cost of some HoT recipes”. Or was that just in my dreams?

Astralporing.1957

Think you made typo there: its same per guild.

No, i didn’t. When you unlock the xp bonus upgrade, it costs the same for 5 players guild and for 500 players guild, but in the latter 100x more people will be able to use it than in the former. At the same time, it means that every guild player receives the same benefit (being able to use an xp boost), but for the second guild the cost for him will be 100x smaller than in the first one.

Anyway, pretty sure Anet already mentioned they are “looking intoways to reduce cost of some HoT recipes”. Or was that just in my dreams?

They did, but so far only mentioned the slivers and pigments. This thread was more about the dust and flax, which are an equally big problem.

Actions, not words.

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Ah, my mistake, sorry.