Please, stop abusing the farm options.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Gwyllion Redsky.5241

Gwyllion Redsky.5241

The trick with AFKing is that the more people do it, the more they get used to doing it and the more likely they’ll be to resort to actual botting. Why not just join the toxic spore farmers and make ~1g/hour per character?

Well, there is a Gm Silpale whispering ppl – Hello are you there ? I answered because I was there, collecting spores for my wvw food, and I asked him/her is it not allowed to stay at the node and wait for it to respawn , got the reply
" I am unable to answer questions directly. There is a post by Chris Cleary that provides more information. I am sorry but."

Whatever that last part meant. So, we had necros farming anything and everything for months, being completely afk from computer for hours, because the game designers made it possible by making the gs skill 4 auto attack. We had the engineers farm, which is in my book not afk because you have to refresh the turrets every 5 min. That is no way afk but the community was outraged , those people are making money ! One Samarog cm is being sold for 3900 ectos / read three thousand and nine hundred / but that is not a problem, engis bored to death by clicking turrets all day long is a big deal. Ok, that was fixed.
And now there is a gm going around banning ppl who are just standing at the toxic spore node, waiting for it to spawn ?? If I log out, the map changes. If I do not log out I have to stare to the screen for 10 minutes in case a gm whispers me before a ban ? There were a few ppl standing there as well, I guess waiting just like me. And they all disappeared.
Read the post from Chris and it does not mention anything about standing afk at a node waiting to harvest. Using macros, yes, using skills and minions that kills mobs around you while you are not at the computer, yes , I get that. But waiting for a node to respawn and not being there in the meantime is not a bannable offence. Was not.
So why is the GM doing it ? Especially one that is not able to answer questions.
Is she/he a bot ? Should I report it ?

Would be oh so nice if a dev could explain will I get banned if I park my character in Kessex Hills and farm a node now and then while waiting 2h in a que for wvw . Pretty please, would love to know.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Sounds more like blame shifting.

Then you’re not following the problem. Its not one event that created this… its a string of decsisions (by Anet) that cascaded into a whole series of problem, and Anet doesn’t respond to adjustments fast enough to avoid long term issues.

Exactly. It is as if the US federal reserve changed interest rates by 10% (usually it goes up or down by like 1/2 a percent), increased the monetary supply by a factor of 2, oh, and immediately closed our borders to all imports and exports (including pending offshore payments) with no warning. Then sat on the situation for a couple decades without further changes. No matter what eventually happened the end result would be a fiscal nightmare scenario. Why anet thought a good idea was to do multiple things at the same time then watch the chaos ….. when clearly they can react faster if players are benefiting ….. is pure huh.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Exactly. It is as if the US federal reserve changed interest rates by 10% (usually it goes up or down by like 1/2 a percent), increased the monetary supply by a factor of 2, oh, and immediately closed our borders to all imports and exports (including pending offshore payments) with no warning. Then sat on the situation for a couple decades without further changes. No matter what eventually happened the end result would be a fiscal nightmare scenario. Why anet thought a good idea was to do multiple things at the same time then watch the chaos ….. when clearly they can react faster if players are benefiting ….. is pure huh.

Your analysis is good, but your example is a bit overboard.

The root problem is called “latent demand”. It’s the demand for a product that can’t be measured because of other constraints. Leather was being held down artificially by the high price of cloth. They tried to fix that by raising the price of leather. It worked, but had the consequence of raising the availability of cloth (for the same money pool).

The moves they made were all reasonable. But, they needed to take it in phases, so as to adjust to the power of the price of leather in small increments.

They can still recover, but not by most of the methods in this thread. What they need to do is very slowly lower the demand for leather. I would recommend changing the number of leather required for patches from 10 to 9, then guage the results over a 3 to 6-month period.

What SHOULD happen is that the price of cloth will go up slightly and the price of leather will come down slightly. If it’s not enough, after 3-6 months they should decrease the requirement again.

NOTE: Raising the cloth requirements would have a similar effect. However, because latent demand is unpredictable, the effect on leather would most likely be less than desired (and the price of cloth greater than desired).

They could also slightly raise the drop rate of the various leather-producing salvage items. But, to maintain the overall economy, they would need to lower the drop rates for everything else by a tiny fraction to compensate.

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

Well when developers say “exploiting” is a players problem and NOT A DESIGN problem, ya get… what ya get.

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

The trick with AFKing is that the more people do it, the more they get used to doing it and the more likely they’ll be to resort to actual botting. Why not just join the toxic spore farmers and make ~1g/hour per character?

Well, there is a Gm Silpale whispering ppl – Hello are you there ? I answered because I was there, collecting spores for my wvw food, and I asked him/her is it not allowed to stay at the node and wait for it to respawn , got the reply
" I am unable to answer questions directly. There is a post by Chris Cleary that provides more information. I am sorry but."

Whatever that last part meant. So, we had necros farming anything and everything for months, being completely afk from computer for hours, because the game designers made it possible by making the gs skill 4 auto attack. We had the engineers farm, which is in my book not afk because you have to refresh the turrets every 5 min. That is no way afk but the community was outraged , those people are making money ! One Samarog cm is being sold for 3900 ectos / read three thousand and nine hundred / but that is not a problem, engis bored to death by clicking turrets all day long is a big deal. Ok, that was fixed.
And now there is a gm going around banning ppl who are just standing at the toxic spore node, waiting for it to spawn ?? If I log out, the map changes. If I do not log out I have to stare to the screen for 10 minutes in case a gm whispers me before a ban ? There were a few ppl standing there as well, I guess waiting just like me. And they all disappeared.
Read the post from Chris and it does not mention anything about standing afk at a node waiting to harvest. Using macros, yes, using skills and minions that kills mobs around you while you are not at the computer, yes , I get that. But waiting for a node to respawn and not being there in the meantime is not a bannable offence. Was not.
So why is the GM doing it ? Especially one that is not able to answer questions.
Is she/he a bot ? Should I report it ?

Would be oh so nice if a dev could explain will I get banned if I park my character in Kessex Hills and farm a node now and then while waiting 2h in a que for wvw . Pretty please, would love to know.

AFK means Away from Keyboard. Literally. If you get up to go to bath room, that is away from keyboard. Unless you take yer laptop into bathroom (which is nasty) and are wiping yer kitten when a dev whispers you, but again yer already nasty so you probably would reply, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

if yer at the keyboard watching the screen…(not a movie/tv, missing whispers) then u aint afk. but if u reapply turrents every 5 mins (which takes like 4seconds) then go do something else AWAY FROM KEYBOARD. then you ARE afk for 4m56s.

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

(edited by Kelly.7019)

Posted by: Odokuro.5049

Odokuro.5049

It always has been the nature of most gamers, to look for and find the easiest way of doing something, when it comes to farming in Guild Wars 1 and 2, people have always looked for how to exploit something, or, “Cheese it”, to make content that was intended to be a challenge or a specific way, not an issue. As always, once ANet finds out about the exploits, cheats, botting ect. they change the farm in such a way that people are deterred from doing it, they just do it in a way that also deters people from actually playing there too.

The Self-Proclaimed Pervy Sage of Yaks Bend.
https://www.twitch.tv/amazinphelix

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

Blaming the community when the real fault here is the designers choosing to use band-aid fixes for problems that need much different solutions.

Farming by itself isnt bad, however when the problem could be solved without needed to create designated farm spots you should do that. In short fix the economic issues with numbers not by creating “Farms”.

This. They could easily increase drop rates, add more places they can be obtained, and/or simply lower the amount of required leather in crafting.

Posted by: Gwyllion Redsky.5241

Gwyllion Redsky.5241

[/quote]

AFK means Away from Keyboard. Literally. If you get up to go to bath room, that is away from keyboard. Unless you take yer laptop into bathroom (which is nasty) and are wiping yer kitten when a dev whispers you, but again yer already nasty so you probably would reply, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

if yer at the keyboard watching the screen…(not a movie/tv, missing whispers) then u aint afk. but if u reapply turrents every 5 mins (which takes like 4seconds) then go do something else AWAY FROM KEYBOARD. then you ARE afk for 4m56s.[/quote]

Yes, I know what afk means but you are missing the point. Being afk and getting loot it the meantime thanks to gs 4 auto attack, minions, turrets, pets … that is a problem which they are addressing , right ? Standing by a node waiting for it to respawn is not afk farming. You do not get any loot that way, there is no profit in it. Why is a gm whispering me asking if I am there ? Is it not allowed to leave your character afk for 10 min and go about your business away and then come back to collect when the node is back ? That was my question.

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

And now there is a gm going around banning ppl who are just standing at the toxic spore node, waiting for it to spawn ?? If I log out, the map changes. If I do not log out I have to stare to the screen for 10 minutes in case a gm whispers me before a ban ?

Yea. I was ok with this GM methodology when I was 19. But I am right now 29 and more like… well guys I payed for this product, I can do anything that is possible with this product directly (keyboard and mouse) and do not break federal laws. EULA? Don’t even start, it is like signing wedding contract when you go for quick launch to the restaurant.

My chat is disabled 90% of the time. It is up only in WvW and big Meta events. Why should I even consider answering any person? Even if it is GM? Just why? I have no obligations to them. And remember, no answer is an answer too…

Posted by: Nyx.6532

Nyx.6532

People are now mad because of the nerf at lake doric (for those who don’t know, trebuchets now shot even at the entrance gate) they’re saying they’re going to BFF now to continue AFK farm. It is comunity’s fault in first place that be got punished this way for abusing AGAIN in a farm Anet gave us the option to use.

No, it’s Anet’s fault that they designed the farm to be unappealing when done the “intended” way.

this but the reasoning is:
“burden of optimal play”.
in short if you “force” people to have to do tidious stuff to get the stuff they think is needed to enjoy things they actually want to do, then you will force them to find the fastest and least effort taking way to reach that goal.
the only option to minimize this is to insure that abuse is rewarded less than actively playing.
but in any system finding abusive ways to do it will always be a more efficient way.

so how to fix it? well Anet had an amazing idea when they made GW2 “we will eliminated the reason to do tidious task, everything mechanic important, such as stats/skillpoints/etc, will be easily gained. it will only take roughly 2 days of play to max out 1 build, after that each 5-10 hours to max out a new build”.
by doing this they eleminated the “Need” to farm by doing tidious task when it comes to the mechanical aspect and only cosmetics where now something you needed to farm which was fixed because of the Vast amount of outfits meaning you might not get that “perfect” look instantly. but there was planty of “cool/interesting” looks which could keep you satisfied untill you reached it and you would never feel disadvantages due to build/stats/gear/SP/etc. for more than max 1 day (which would be the absolute maximum time to farm everything for a full new setup).

since they changed it to be all about the “reward system” and put in some really heavy time taking grind, just to max out stats. the “burden of optimal play” is in full force, and it is actually worse than with other games as GW2 wasn’t made to be a “grindathron” and a lot of it’s original playerbase (and lots of mmo players) really loved that they had an mmorpg to enjoy that didn’t take a fulltime job investment just to get the mechanical side to the point we felt we could just “relax and enjoy the game content”.

but it is a hard choice as “what else do you do to make people keep playing for years”. to that my answer would be “make the gameplay Fun!”.
CS is a good example of how simple concepts that just does what it does extremely well, will keep people playing for literally over a decade and when they finally made a new version of it. it was simply a “upgraded” version of this exact concept

i personally think that focusing a Lot more on making the existing world feel a lot more alive (put in tons of new events, make it so it rotates the even much more, let the events have creator impact on the area they are in, let enemies build castle’s and defend them, monsters take over town and enslave npc’s etc. generally just polish the world and make it more alive) would be the right way to created more content for GW2.
adding more area’s now is kind of pointless the maps area is already so insanely big that there is absolutely no need for more “space”, there is a need for more reasons to actually be in the maps and do the events and feel like its not all a “repeat” again and again.

but that’s just my 2cents.
i am truly looking forward to an mmorpg that does horizontal progression as it’s main progression. meaning you never really get more “powerful” stats wise (kind of what they aimed for in the old days of gw2, just polished and better thought-out now that there have gone many years of development time into thinking it through).

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

So their only job is meddling and deciding how people should play their game. That explains why they never bother fixing bugs, improving game modes like PvP and whatnot. They’re too busy adding stupid kitten to spite their dwindling playerbase.

The list of bug fixes in this game is long and extensive. Anyone who does even minimal research can see bugs are fixed with virtually every patch. As with most games, bug fixes are prioritized, but anyone who says Anet doesn’t bother fixing bugs isn’t paying attention.

There have also been myriad improvements to the game. Right clicking on salvage kits to salvage all of a certain rarity at the same time was one of them. You may personally not like that changes, but it doesn’t mean changes aren’t made.

As for the farm options, anything that encourages unattended gameplay is against the TOS and Anet certainly should do something about that.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

but it is a hard choice as “what else do you do to make people keep playing for years”. to that my answer would be “make the gameplay Fun!”.

Yeah, that was the theory back when the game was in development. The game at launch had relatively easy max stat acquisition, and the only pursuits for goal-oriented, time-intensive players was dungeon sets and legendary weapons. That lasted less than two months before “nothing to do” started appearing.

MMO developers throw lists of things to do that require massive reps at players because a significant portion of the MMO consumer base wants to play so kitten much, but content seldom or never stays fun that long. Also, by now, MMO players are conditioned to “push button/get reward” game play.

What’s ironic, is that the MMO player-base is its own worst enemy. While it may not be the same players, there are simultaneous complaints about nothing to do, no goals to pursue, and the goals that do exist take too much grind to reach. The endless cycle of same Leaves me smh.

Posted by: DeShadowWolf.6854

DeShadowWolf.6854

[…]

i personally think that focusing a Lot more on making the existing world feel a lot more alive (put in tons of new events, make it so it rotates the even much more, let the events have creator impact on the area they are in, let enemies build castle’s and defend them, monsters take over town and enslave npc’s etc. generally just polish the world and make it more alive) would be the right way to created more content for GW2.
adding more area’s now is kind of pointless the maps area is already so insanely big that there is absolutely no need for more “space”, there is a need for more reasons to actually be in the maps and do the events and feel like its not all a “repeat” again and again.

They tried that. But here’s the thing: have you played every event in Kessex Hills at least once? Almost certainly not. Why? Because there wasn’t much point in doing so. You quickly outleveled the zone, nor did it take long to explore it. The events simply aren’t rewarding for you. Why cares about 80c, 300 karma, and a few thousand XP? Even if Anet did an update where they added 20 new events per existing map, you’d barely notice it other than, “Oh hey, I’ve never seen this one before.” For that to be worthwhile, there would need to be serious rewards behind them. And now we’re back to the burden of optimal play.