Plz no more autogliding

Plz no more autogliding

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Theonord.6359

Theonord.6359

A-net I looooooove gliding but for the love of grenth. Can we disable the autogliding. It is So annoying when trying to do specifik jumps, and the autoglide kicks in and you go way farther than you wanted to. been doing the new jumping puzzle thing. (And really like it) but every time the autogliding has screwed me over.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If you can’t stop yourself from holding space during jumps, use a basic macro instead, as in key down>up.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Theonord.6359

Theonord.6359

I’m not holding space, just pressing it and then it autoglides. And I don’t want to go to the extent of making a macro for something that shouldn’tbe a problem

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

The glider will only activate if you hold down space, or if you push space again while you’re starting to fall. Tap space to jump, and you won’t have automatic glider deployment.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: nsleep.7839

nsleep.7839

There is no such thing as autogliding, you’re either double tapping or holding the key when jumping.

Holding the key longer won’t make your character jump higher just like tapping it lightly won’t make the jumps smaller.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

The glider will only activate if you hold down space, or if you push space again while you’re starting to fall. Tap space to jump, and you won’t have automatic glider deployment.

This is totally false. Gliding is extremely inconsistent. Sometimes you hold it down and nothing happens, and other times you touch it to jump and you end up gliding.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

This is totally false. Gliding is extremely inconsistent. Sometimes you hold it down and nothing happens, and other times you touch it to jump and you end up gliding.

The glider activates when space is pressed down and the player is considered to be falling. Considered to be falling is going to be the inconsistency and quick consecutive jumps may trigger it. If you use a simple macro and limit it to pressing space once per second, you should never have a problem.

If you hold space during an action that causes you to fall, it’ll ignore your input. For example, if you take a tube and immediately hold space, nothing will happen. In that scenario, you need to release and press space after being ejected.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

When I first used gliding, I had that problem as well. For a person who loves JPs, this is a horrible thing. As many of us, I also grew up with good old Jump & Run games on consoles. These games had a feature to extend the jump heigth/distance the longer you hold the jump key. I also used to play the THPS games in my youth, which taught you to keep the jump button always on hold for additional speed. It is very annoying.

The following things helped me to live with the GW2 jumping issue:
- pick a character of your choice, asura if possible <3, and look on it from front. Now jump once and release the button immediately after pressing, check the heigth. Next you jump again but hold the jump button, check the heigth again. Once you have that “aha”-effect, you begin to adjust your jumping-habbits automatically. It will not be perfect at first, but after a few days you will see a huge progress.
- talking about jump distance. Most of the jumps in this game can be done without any speed improvements. That is common knowlege I guess. What I noticed a few weeks ago, most jumps can be done with safe jumps. The mehtod is simple, just press the jump key shortly and use the arrow key while in mid air. Not before or during the jump. That technique is quite useful for some JPs, especially narrow jumps which can be overstept easily. It is quite surprising how many gaps can be crossed with this method, although it looks like the jump distance is a lot shorter.

You will get along with it, but it will take some time and patience.

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Tatwi.3562

Tatwi.3562

Yes, please ArenaNet no more auto gliding!

Movement in this game is bloody infuriating, likely due to lag. I prefer to use double tap to dodge, but I have to turn it of when doing jumping puzzles, because of rhe MANY MANY MANY delayed reation rolls my characters have taken to their untimely deaths. Now that I have gliding, I am finding extremely common to over shoot jumps due to the glider opening.

I’ve been playing FPS PC games since the 1990s… the problem isn’t me, it’s GW2’s server side movement code. Our only choices for Internet are none, dial up, and Wimax, so we have Wimax, which has great download speeds, but terrible upload (because physics) and horrible latency. GW2 is the only game I have ever played where movement is so adversely affected by network connection quality. It’s sincerely infuriating at times.

We really do need some quality of life options for people with poor Internet connections. After all, we paid for the game too.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Spacial.1683

Spacial.1683

Agreed. Same problem. Especially on jumping puzzles.

I also find that sometimes is doesn’t activate when I really need it, such as one of those important jumps to an almost similar level. I can fall for a bit before a double tap activates those wings, meaning I end up too low for my objective.

I think it’s the programmers frankly, a wicked sense of humour.

How some seem to be immune from it may be a bit more sinister.

It could just be the ghost of Mordremoth, pretending to be players.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Yes, please ArenaNet no more auto gliding!

Movement in this game is bloody infuriating, likely due to lag. I prefer to use double tap to dodge, but I have to turn it of when doing jumping puzzles, because of rhe MANY MANY MANY delayed reation rolls my characters have taken to their untimely deaths. Now that I have gliding, I am finding extremely common to over shoot jumps due to the glider opening.

I’ve been playing FPS PC games since the 1990s… the problem isn’t me, it’s GW2’s server side movement code. Our only choices for Internet are none, dial up, and Wimax, so we have Wimax, which has great download speeds, but terrible upload (because physics) and horrible latency. GW2 is the only game I have ever played where movement is so adversely affected by network connection quality. It’s sincerely infuriating at times.

We really do need some quality of life options for people with poor Internet connections. After all, we paid for the game too.

but movement is handled client side …

Plz no more autogliding

Spacial.1683

Not sure that is entirely the case. When the connection goes down, player movement doesn’t work. But some other types does.

Just saying. It does suggest that a feed back with the server is necessary.

However, I came to the conclusion that the point and time at which auto-gliding kicks in seems to be programmed into many situations. This is indicated by the way is sometimes doesn’t kick in very quickly and even not at all. Such as some of the rickety platforms above the caves in Dredgehaunt Cliffs

Plz no more autogliding

Tatwi.3562

Some important aspects of movement, such as jumping and landing hit detection, clearly have a network component to them. If you had poor internet like me, where sometimes it’s fine and other times it’s not, you’d see the problem in action all the time.

Movement in Planetside 2 is 100% client side and it’s great.

Plz no more autogliding

Spacial.1683

Apologies, I was wrong.

Just checked, while playing, disconnected the modem and movement, including jumping, was still available for a few seconds, then the screen went blank.

I didn’t get a chance to check any weapons or interaction.

Plz no more autogliding

Tatwi.3562

Apologies, I was wrong.

Just checked, while playing, disconnected the modem and movement, including jumping, was still available for a few seconds, then the screen went blank.

Try saturating your Internet connection by streaming a video download and a large file upload while playing the game.

The issue is the network component of the abilities, not that your client plays the jumping animation when you press the jump button.

Have you ever jumped onto a rock, stopped to look around, and then 3-4 seconds later your character dodge rolled off to their death when your keyboard hand was happily putting a cup of tea up to your mouth? I have. I have also had many other network related issues, precisely because movement in this game has a network component. Another example, being teleported backwards after making a jump or landing on an object and being teleorted out to the empty space beside the object, so you’re standing in the air.

Movement in this game is straight up janky and weird, in my experience with it over the years.

The problem comes from the abilities and hit detection being verified by the server, which is great for anti cheat, but not so awesome for those of us with poor Internet connections.

Sure, I could fix the problem by moving my whole family to a new house and new schools, in the city, so we could get better Internet for playing a computer game, but… that would be stupid.

So… it would be grand if Anet would be so kind as to add an optional keybind for engaging the glider and allowing the spacebar glide functionality to be disabled. Not much to ask.

Plz no more autogliding

Spacial.1683

Try saturating your Internet connection by streaming a video download and a large file upload while playing the game.

The issue is the network component of the abilities, not that your client plays the jumping animation when you press the jump button.

I’m not disagreeing with you. The issue seems to emerge from several sources.

However, I claimed that when connection went down, movement stopped. In that I was wrong.

I’m sorry I don’t have any suggestions or solutions. I’ve tried everything I can think of and ended up abandoning some jumping puzzles altogether.

You seem to have a particular problem with a slow connection is must be infuriating.

I’ve wondered, if I were to open a new account and play as free, so not have any glider, how would the problem work out.

It does perhaps raise the other issue of not using the Lev 80 upgrade, and therefore gliding, until you are ready.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Apologies, I was wrong.

Have you ever jumped onto a rock, stopped to look around, and then 3-4 seconds later your character dodge rolled off to their death when your keyboard hand was happily putting a cup of tea up to your mouth? I have. I have also had many other network related issues, precisely because movement in this game has a network component. Another example, being teleported backwards after making a jump or landing on an object and being teleorted out to the empty space beside the object, so you’re standing in the air.

Movement in this game is straight up janky and weird, in my experience with it over the years.

The problem comes from the abilities and hit detection being verified by the server, which is great for anti cheat, but not so awesome for those of us with poor Internet connections.

Sure, I could fix the problem by moving my whole family to a new house and new schools, in the city, so we could get better Internet for playing a computer game, but… that would be stupid.

So… it would be grand if Anet would be so kind as to add an optional keybind for engaging the glider and allowing the spacebar glide functionality to be disabled. Not much to ask.

I said movement is client side. Not “everything is client side”. Using a skill is not movement although some skills have a movement component. Similar issue with dodge.

All client side things have the same basic problem. It allows people to cheat. It is the basis of speed hacks and bots teleporting around because those things are client side. Skills are not so they can’t do something like casting a chain of Meteor Showers with no cast time or cooldown.

I am actually jumping around and running with ~600 ping as displayed in the F11 window right. There is nothing about the experience that would indicate that I am experiencing high latency. I normally have around 80 but I can trigger the 600 on demand but simply starting up a bunch of youtube videos.

What is your typical ping? I used to have 200-250 back when I was on wifi and playing on the wrong side of the pond. That was mostly unnoticeable as well except for things like dodging Lupicus’s kick. The game has code for lag compensation but everything has its limits. The minimum system requirements doesn’t mention latency but maybe it should. A minimum latency requirement isn’t any more stupid than a minimum GPU or CPU requirement since they are all necessary components for playing the game.

Plz no more autogliding

Daddicus.6128

The glider activates when space is pressed down and the player is considered to be falling. Considered to be falling is going to be the inconsistency and quick consecutive jumps may trigger it. If you use a simple macro and limit it to pressing space once per second, you should never have a problem.

If you hold space during an action that causes you to fall, it’ll ignore your input. For example, if you take a tube and immediately hold space, nothing will happen. In that scenario, you need to release and press space after being ejected.

Macros that grant a game advantage are a violation of the terms of use.

And, they don’t solve the gross inconsistency problem.

Plz no more autogliding

Daddicus.6128

I don’t think it’s on purpose. The problem is the space key itself. I suspect that keyboards don’t properly follow the same rules for space as they do for the other keys. Mainly because there are two springs and two contacts (on each end) in most keyboards.

Plz no more autogliding

Spacial.1683

I don’t think it’s on purpose. The problem is the space key itself. I suspect that keyboards don’t properly follow the same rules for space as they do for the other keys. Mainly because there are two springs and two contacts (on each end) in most keyboards.

I gave that serious consideration as well but came to the conclusion that it is intentional for two reasons.

Firstly, the effect isn’t consistent. Sometimes the wings expand too easily, such as some of the jumping games, others, they seem reluctant to expand, such as the rickety platforms in the caves of Dredgehaunt Cliffs.

Secondly, if you try using a different keyboard, there is no difference.

Personally, I don’t see it as a criticism of the programmers, far from it. Some of the rewards at the end of the jumping puzzles are pretty attractive. And the struggles to reach the objectives in the Dredgehaunt Cliffs caves could be bypassed if the wings activated as quickly as they do in the jumping puzzles.

Plz no more autogliding

Tatwi.3562

…. ping comments….

Ignoring your clear, “this game is not for you” jab…

Unlike DSL, cable, and dialup, Wimax (and LTE/4G) connection quality fluctuates widly every minute (by design), especially for uploading. 90 ping, 500 ping, 120 ping, 1400 ping… not unusual 10 seconds of life really. Download is strong, able to sustain 800KB/s on a good day, but because we’re only allowed to have a weee tiny transmitter to send signals back (to the main tower 15Km or so), the upload is slow and flaky (not as slow as satellite though). So that’s where the majority of the issues are for me.

Most of the time GW2 is great to play, but you have to keep in perspective that I don’t PvP, raid, or do dungeons. I basically do the open world stuff, which is pretty forgiving most of the time. I mostly notice issues in places like Drytop and SAB (abilities and mushrooms…), and when doing precision jumping, but now that i have HoT I am finding the wings open at odd times too.

Anyhow, an optional keybind for the glider and being able to turn off spacebar glide would be genuinely helpful, as it would completely eliminate accidental gliding for folks who need it, yet it wouldn’t change anything for everyone else.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

You should have read the article of HnRkLnXqZ.1870. He clearly stated how it works: Most people had this issue first with gliding (me too). If you press space and keep holding the space button you automatically open your glider – try it!

The awkward thing is the following: we are used old platformer games like Super Mario etc. whereas the longer you keep pressing the jump button the farther you jump. Not so in Guild Wars 2. Just press the space button and release it, don’t keep holding it and you will see the difference. Once you learned that, gliding works properly for you.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Plz no more autogliding

Daddicus.6128

You should have read the article of HnRkLnXqZ.1870. He clearly stated how it works: Most people had this issue first with gliding (me too). If you press space and keep holding the space button you automatically open your glider – try it!

The awkward thing is the following: we are used old platformer games like Super Mario etc. whereas the longer you keep pressing the jump button the farther you jump. Not so in Guild Wars 2. Just press the space button and release it, don’t keep holding it and you will see the difference. Once you learned that, gliding works properly for you.

No, it doesn’t work like that. That may be how it’s SUPPOSED to work, but it’s a far cry from actually doing it that way. It’s grossly inconsistent on both ends. Short taps or long hold-downs BOTH exhibit ending up gliding and non-gliding. I can discern no pattern other than it gets it right no more than 2/3 of the time (with either choice).

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

My glider never opens on a normal jump. Absolutely never. And that’s over what must be thousands upon thousands of jumps. It only opens when I hold the button. I don’t use space to jump, by the way. I use one of the thumb buttons on my mouse.

Plz no more autogliding

Spacial.1683

These gliders were invented by some Asura or other, weren’t they?

Just saying. < mentally wags finger >

Plz no more autogliding

ProtoGunner.4953

No, it doesn’t work like that. That may be how it’s SUPPOSED to work, but it’s a far cry from actually doing it that way. It’s grossly inconsistent on both ends. Short taps or long hold-downs BOTH exhibit ending up gliding and non-gliding. I can discern no pattern other than it gets it right no more than 2/3 of the time (with either choice).

Yes, it works like this. Believe me. I am a gamer since more than 20 years and it works 100%. Always. If you have lag due to slow/bad connection or an old PC of course it may not work properly. But with the right setup it works always like this.

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

as far as I’m aware there is no autogliding in this game. Not that I’m aware of at least. You have to keep holding the jump button or press it at the peak of your jump to deploy the glider, but it doesn’t come out if you jump normally (that is pressing the space bar and letting go)

Plz no more autogliding

Tatwi.3562

as far as I’m aware…

The world population is in the billions. You are one person. Other people’s experiences differ from yours.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

as far as I’m aware…

The world population is in the billions. You are one person. Other people’s experiences differ from yours.

That doesn’t change the fact that there is autogliding, since gliding requires one of two things which both require player input: double tapping jump or holding it down for too long, the glider doesn’t just deploy without player interaction.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: particlepinata.9865

particlepinata.9865

No need to demonize the feedback from this poster. It seems to be a trend on this forum with people giving their feedback. And i agree with him. There are moments where the glider goes active, and no, not with a long space bar hold or double tap. Simple solution, an option to toggle the gliding totally of (like switching of the double tab option for jps).

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Klowdy.3126

Klowdy.3126

If there is a problem with holding the jump button, which is quite obviously what you are doing, denial or not, just unequip your back piece for JPs. There are only two ways to deploy your glider, and both have been stated numerous times, you just choose to ignore the facts. I, also, have a problem with holding the jump for too long, from time to time, but I know that is what I’m doing, you just aren’t paying attention to yourself.

There is a mechanic for the “boss” in Bloodstone Fen that ports you up in the air, and requires you to activate your glider. There is no auto deploy.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Sarda.5918

Sarda.5918

The glider does not auto deploy.

Got that? You may be experiencing keyboard issues. Try using a different one, or ideally a different computer. Otherwise, you’ll just have to admit to yourself that you’re holding spacebar too long.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I agree with the OP…
Please let us disable holding down space key to glide option and let us at least keybind glider activation… Double-Tap to glide is also a nice option to add as well.

Please give us options on how we activate glider so problems like this dont keep happening. This game was designed with jumping puzzles in mind prior to gliding and not all jumping puzzles have glider disabled in the area… I say give us options on how we like to activate glider and that should solve most of the problems we have.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

I agree with the OP…
Please let us disable holding down space key to glide option and let us at least keybind glider activation… Double-Tap to glide is also a nice option to add as well.

Please give us options on how we activate glider so problems like this dont keep happening. This game was designed with jumping puzzles in mind prior to gliding and not all jumping puzzles have glider disabled in the area… I say give us options on how we like to activate glider and that should solve most of the problems we have.

just sayin holding down space will not increase the jump range if it didnt have the glider on, just tapping space once works fine takes some time to get used to but then its fine.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I agree with the OP…

While I agree that there should be a toggable option where the glider only opens on the doubletap, I do not so much care for the fact that people call it autoglider because even holding down the spacebar is a personal input.
That said, I’m all for the option

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I agree with the OP…

just sayin holding down space will not increase the jump range if it didnt have the glider on, just tapping space once works fine takes some time to get used to but then its fine.

I played since beta and I still play today and yet I still have issues with it.
This game wasn’t designed with glider in mind and having played this game for so long it’s still not something I got “used too” so you can throw that out of the window. We need options in the menu to allow us to choose how we want to activate glide so everyone can be happy with it.

I’d love to have an option to keybind gliding to another key I desire.
I’d also like an option where you can make gliding “double-tap to glide” but of course the key word here is “Option” , one that we can tick on/off in the menu.

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Yeah, I really don’t like the auto repeat button input when you hold down a key. That also opens the glider for me too until I realise im pressing space too long again.

Strangely enough you CAN set your jumping to another button. That would need getting used to as well obviously, but it works.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

A-net I looooooove gliding but for the love of grenth. Can we disable the autogliding. It is So annoying when trying to do specifik jumps, and the autoglide kicks in and you go way farther than you wanted to. been doing the new jumping puzzle thing. (And really like it) but every time the autogliding has screwed me over.

Good luck. Many of us have begged only to be drowned out in a sea of people who tell us to deal with it. As if having the option would affect them at all.

Plz no more autogliding

ProtoGunner.4953

Here’s the point: People are very biased and do things how they are conditioned. They don’t even think how they use their space/jump button. They automatically press it longer if they think they need to jump farther. I know this be cause I have been conditioned like this, too. From Super Mario, Sonic and other platformer games.

Once you understand that you simply have to tap the space bar to jump and not hold it any longer you will notice that you never glide. Believe me. I have a 30 year gaming backlog and it works 100% like this. You either double tap or you hold it too long and this results in gliding. Always. Any other claims are results of either inexperienced biased/conditioned gameplay or probably lags (I can’t prove that since I have usually a ping of 20-40).

‘would of been’ —> wrong

Plz no more autogliding

Posted by: Neve.3145

Neve.3145

I used to have this problem – up until i upgraded my pc a little.
I am way less laggy now and my glider works perfctly fine ever since, could that be your issue too?