Pocket Raptors

Pocket Raptors

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

Pocket raptors are probably my favourite critter in the jungle. The more the merrier, I say.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Pocket raptors are probably my favourite critter in the jungle. The more the merrier, I say.

I actually wouldn’t mind a pocket raptor adventure, where you got to play as your character and just faced an unending horde of them. That would be so much fun.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: kuritsutian.2987

kuritsutian.2987

I actually wouldn’t mind a pocket raptor adventure, where you got to play as your character and just faced an unending horde of them. That would be so much fun.

Or we turn into raptors to go mortify the revenants out there :P

Suddenly in the Forums Everyone is now a Game designer!

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

Hm, how about you get two Paragons as sidekicks, had to run into a cave using the shouts from the sidekicks – aggro and ball up as many raptors as you can and try to kill them and a big veteran who’s at the end of the cave with one hit … oh, er, we already had that, didn’t we?

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I love pocket raptors. They are a great blend of threat and humor.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

You can always Sword 4 and Shiro’s “Impossible Odd’s” and just keep running.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

your best weapon against pocket raptors is your CTRL key on your keyboard .. they are so tiny , it’s easy to not notice them. Holding CTRL in the jungle help to spot them …

see them before they do , that’s the trick.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Diak Atoli.2085

Diak Atoli.2085

Am I the only person eagerly bouncing in their computer chair waiting for the Champion and Legendary Pocket Raptors? No on else?…

/sulks in a corner

Pocket Raptors

kuritsutian.2987

they need a brood mother!

Edit: Let’s start a pocket raptors fan club

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

your best weapon against pocket raptors is your CTRL key on your keyboard .. they are so tiny , it’s easy to not notice them. Holding CTRL in the jungle help to spot them …

see them before they do , that’s the trick.

or just turn on enemy names …

Pocket Raptors

Khisanth.2948

Am I the only person eagerly bouncing in their computer chair waiting for the Champion and Legendary Pocket Raptors? No on else?…

/sulks in a corner

Another high damage boss with poorly animated attacks? No thanks.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

they need a brood mother!

Edit: Let’s start a pocket raptors fan club

Ok.

Everyone who wants kuritsutian to be the Head Brood Mother of our club, raise your hand. (Everyone raises a hand). Ok, you’re it kuritsutian.

Can I call you mom, for short? Just during meetings of course. ^^

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Pocket Raptors

kuritsutian.2987

But… but… but …
I meant it as a boss ….. —pouts--
Wouldn’t be the first time to be called that … and I am a guy >.>

Pocket Raptors

HtFde.3856

But… but… but …

If polital correctness would kick in … would the proper term be “parental person”?

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

To be honest most pocket raptor groups can easily be avoided, either by gliding or simply taking care about distance from them.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

But… but… but …

If polital correctness would kick in … would the proper term be “parental person”?

Actually the word person refers to humans and is really too speciesist. How about Parental Unit?

He can be the Head BroodParental Unit of the club.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I’m guessing they’re designed to hit for more when behind you. If you run, they will annihilate you (that is, if you’re running zerky glass gear/build). If you stand in the middle of them, it’s not as big a deal.

If you spend most of your time in the jungle, it’s advisable to equip a soldier’s trinket or two for the toughness and HP. The specialization collections hand them out like candy.

Or words to that effect.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: IntheCoconut.3497

IntheCoconut.3497

I think these are the most official-unofficial troll monsters in the game. I laugh every time I see someone get attacked by these guys when they aren’t expecting them. Except when it happens to me. Then its not funny any more.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: RKyrk.4761

RKyrk.4761

Coolest monsters in the game. dont delete them pls.
they are fun

1 close 1 animal 1 far rest mid

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I think these are the most official-unofficial troll monsters in the game. I laugh every time I see someone get attacked by these guys when they aren’t expecting them. Except when it happens to me. Then its not funny any more.

Smokescales are more trollish to me by far. They evade near constantly. At least pocket raptors don’t dodge like crazy when you try to take them down. U.U

Or words to that effect.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

I love pocket raptors. They’re perfect for filling bloodlust stacks.

And most of the time the ai is so slow to react to me that I can just sword auto attack them to death before they do anything.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

“I got a raptor in my pocket
And baby he’s ready to ROAR!

(With apologies to The Artist Currently Known As Prince)

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Pocket Raptors

kuritsutian.2987

lol we have an anthem now!

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: OanSur.4590

OanSur.4590

A lone reaper walks through the forest
Suddenly, a wild raptor pack appears
Reaper uses Necrocopter [Soul Spiral]
It was super-effective

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Necro Well of Darkness followed by Well of Suffering both dropped at my feet as the annoying little gits swarm me. Then watch them melt.

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

i like the raptors because they killed me at first but i found ways to kill them its called learn to play. these were one of the easiest ones to learn

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Land of Cheese.2584

Land of Cheese.2584

The way I avoid being killed by them (without even using my weapon) is to walk around them.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

Had problems with them as zerker rev. When I used an engineer with rabid’s + sinister’s, I could condi spread and stack them from afar (or even up close with flamethrower), and then use stealth from elixir S tool kit to let the condi damage do the work. Or just use stealth and rocket boots to ignore them. I think you need some toughness stat if you are having trouble with them like me. Smokescales are another problem mob. One smokescale ambush would already wreck my zerker rev, but my rabid+sinister engi was able to withstand the attacks of two smokescales. I was surprised to find out how fast they die to condis.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Warlock.7136

Warlock.7136

pocket raptors killing you? anet warned players that HoT was going to cause them to have to “dust off that toughness gear and take some serious hits” what kind of exo armor are you in? zerker? if so then expect to be 1 shotted by average mobs. this was something they said straight out of the gates so to speak. I notice them, but only when the whole pack or packs are on me. but I have no trouble squishing them. soldier gear exo quality. if your a glass cannon. then expect to break. #newmeta T.T
also I make it when I run from point A to point B. but then nothing but legendaries and champions(and maybe some elites) hit me hard enough to kill me in a few hits.
personally I like the feel of HoT it reminds me of cursed shore year 1. when it felt like a zombie apocalypse, take a deep breathe/leave town/prey that when you look up and whipe the risen off your eyes that you see your goal. later they nerfed it both in mob count and in difficulty. hope HoT stays like this. much more exciting this way imo.

(edited by Warlock.7136)

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

Pocket raptors, those dog things that teleport a bunch of times and those little rolling creatures. All do an insane amount of damage over a short time that it downs most people.

Some people love it, but it’s really just bad design. It’s not a challenge, but there to make a cheap death to waste a players time. Mainly being an issue if you’re just trying to get from point A to B.

I don’t mind challenge, I mind cheapness.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

I love the Pocket Raptors! Straight out of Jurassic Park! They’re great—they pose little threat, and it’s so satisfying to smash them all to bits with one or two swings of my Greatsword.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Sirbeaumerdier.3740

Sirbeaumerdier.3740

I simply overload into a cluster of raptor and they explode. You have to move all the time while attacking with AOE and they are no problem at all.

Pocket Raptors

kuritsutian.2987

Yeah, they are a snack for eles … #eleForever
Just for fun and giggs I like to run with Reaper of Grenth as my Elite … in my mind I am … come my little ones, meet your death.. then Feel the burn >:-D

(edited by kuritsutian.2987)

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Pocket raptors, those dog things that teleport a bunch of times and those little rolling creatures. All do an insane amount of damage over a short time that it downs most people.

Some people love it, but it’s really just bad design. It’s not a challenge, but there to make a cheap death to waste a players time. Mainly being an issue if you’re just trying to get from point A to B.

I don’t mind challenge, I mind cheapness.

Yeah, their direct damage is a bit high, and then they add bleeds. But, I’ve also got them mostly figured out.

Best thing against pocket raptors (I want one actually in my pocket. Or backback. Can I have a Backpack Raptor?) is an AoE preemptive strike. Or any AoE, really. They’re squishy as all get-out. If there’s one problem with them, it’s their faulty hit detection. They can nom you at Range 900. Not cool. Otherwise, stay aware, stay alive.

Rolling devils are more problematic. Again, high damage, nowhere near as squishy as they should be, and half the time they don’t take CC properly, even though they’re supposed to be vulnerable to it. Add on they don’t sit still for targeting, and you’re better off avoiding them most of the time.
Or, find a questionable perch and bludgeon them to death while they keep rolling against the ledge.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Scandi.5693

Scandi.5693

Oh they are a pain, but they are soo cool. The jungles a dangerous place, don’t step on the raptors and you won’t get bit! You can mostly avoid them if you don’t like them. I for one love their movement.

Mistress Savant of the Asuran Dominion.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Warlock.7136

Warlock.7136

the “problem” is not that they are a cheap death. the problem is that players are still stuck in a zerk meta. they said that players would have to adjust to using defensive traits in HoT so if your being “hit for insane damage” and “dying cheap deaths” my first question to you is, what stats are you running? and my second one is “do you have ANY defense in your build and is it adequate for what your encountering?” HoT is not a world where you can run around min/maxed for dps and nothing else. like I said if your a glass cannon in HoT then expect to break like one. with adequate balance between dps and survival(I personally like soldiers and trailblazer but to each their own) HoT is not a cake walk but it is easy enough. also has it settled in on anyone that you may be expected to fight your way from point a to point b instead of running? maybe your dying because of the mob zerg you created running by them instead of killing them as you go.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Sheobix.8796

Sheobix.8796

I love pocket raptors and smokescales. Once you learn them, you learn to fight them.

I just want a pocket raptor legendary backpack. 4000 gems OBO. c:

Pocket Raptors

Khisanth.2948

I love pocket raptors and smokescales. Once you learn them, you learn to fight them.

I just want a pocket raptor legendary backpack. 4000 gems OBO. c:

The problem is that there are places where there are at least 3 overlapping packs of them. What looks like 5 raptors might actually be 15 or more stacked on top of each other.

There are also some which has a weird bug that makes them teleport away but that is more of annoyance.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

The only annoying enemy in the jungle so far to me has been a flock of snipers in a narrow passageway in Shrouded Ruins. They appeared and immediately fired criss-cross. It was an instant wipe for 6 or 7 players as there was not a tenth of a second reaction time, it was insta-defeated. That was a pain. Other than that, I think it’s ok. Whether you have issues witj pocket raptors or not may depend on your class and build, but they are doable.

Pocket Raptors

kuritsutian.2987

The only annoying enemy in the jungle so far to me has been a flock of snipers in a narrow passageway in Shrouded Ruins. They appeared and immediately fired criss-cross. It was an instant wipe for 6 or 7 players as there was not a tenth of a second reaction time, it was insta-defeated. That was a pain. Other than that, I think it’s ok. Whether you have issues witj pocket raptors or not may depend on your class and build, but they are doable.

Yup! noticed the same thing, was even running ele with rebound, saved their lives only to see them die 2 seconds later.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Druitt.7629

Druitt.7629

Not sure if I’ve noticed something, but wanted to get confirmation if possible. It seems that if Pocket Raptors get conditions on them, they don’t do the “swoop out, swoop back in” thing that can make them hard to handle. For example, on my Revenant, if I can hit a huge pack with the mace burning field, it seems to shut them down. They seem to clump up and not zoom around.

Is this just luck, or does continuing damage (or maybe burning in particular) slow them or change their behavior?

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

also, are they hardcoded to not drop loot?

They’re tiny! How could you expect the poor things to carry something big as a greatsword for some player to loot it from them?

That doesn’t stop an Inquest mob from carrying a Norn-sized GS. :O

As to the mobs themselves. I’m a late adopter of HoT (two weeks now). So far, I do fine with a wells Reaper due to the AoE. I do fine with a bomb Engineer (drop the Smoke Bomb at the right time, nuke them with #1 and 2, hardly take any damage). However, the glass thief has taken to resorting to sneaking past as my current build does not seem to be up to the task of fighting them.

Pocket Raptors

HtFde.3856

also, are they hardcoded to not drop loot?

They’re tiny! How could you expect the poor things to carry something big as a greatsword for some player to loot it from them?

That doesn’t stop an Inquest mob from carrying a Norn-sized GS. :O

As to the mobs themselves. I’m a late adopter of HoT (two weeks now). So far, I do fine with a wells Reaper due to the AoE. I do fine with a bomb Engineer (drop the Smoke Bomb at the right time, nuke them with #1 and 2, hardly take any damage). However, the glass thief has taken to resorting to sneaking past as my current build does not seem to be up to the task of fighting them.

Reaper is made for HoT – I love “Rise” (or whatever it is called) when the raptors are in shout range – mini raptors die in seconds and the summoned minions last for one or more packs as well … usually when the next pack after those appears the skill is off cooldown again.

Thief is a bit problematic because it’s more a single target class and lacks the ton of AoE an Ele or Necro/Reaper can dish out. Going daredevil and using staff 3 (if I remember correctly) does wonders to the mini raports, though. Or drop a smokefield at your feet going x/P – though some HoT monsters cheat and still hit you despite the blind symbol being on them …

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Relair.1843

Relair.1843

They are my favorite new mobs, I’m so glad anet added a bit of variety and its not just all ‘huge lumbering high-hp monster’ everywhere. You can easily see the packs and give them a wide berth, but I love just charging in and aoe/retaliating them to death, its great. Plus, as has been mentioned, they are cray cray adorbs.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Pocket raptors are zerglings basically; small, easy to kill, but deadly in massive numbers.

I hate them, too, but I doubt anet’s going to remove them. :P

Zerglings are way cuter.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

Anet needs to make Legendary Pocket Raptors

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

My only complaint is their range. I’ve been killed by these things well beyond what one might expect their reach to be, e.g. they’re stuck on a rock / edge and still hitting me several feet away. I think the real issue isn’t so much their attack range (since they leap to attack), but that the attack doesn’t require them to be able to path to you.

Also it’s pretty ridiculous how far up enemy attacks will hit you when gliding. But that’s a separate problem.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Aww, aren’t you pocket raptors so cute?

Ow! Owwww!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: Simeonus.9237

Simeonus.9237

Why they don’t count towards raptor slayer achievement? ;c

Pocket Raptors

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Yes, they have actually killed some of my characters now and then but that was before I learned how they move and act.

Now I think they are easy and realy fun to pull a whole colony of them.

And how I understand OP was not that they are hard but they interrupt his/her journey from point A to B … Well newsflash for you, this is the Heart of Thorns the home of an elderdragon and you expect to be able to rush through it? I hope they don’t nerf HoT like they did with Orr. … … …

Only exception is if they nerf Elite specs for all classes except Warrior and Thief.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]