Portal to Heart of Maguuma = Pointless?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Dragon Ruler X.8512

Dragon Ruler X.8512

So I’ve been hearing mention that players will be able to buy the “Pre-Order” of HoT which will “grant access to all beta events” and the exclusive title “Maguuma Trailblazer”?

Considering the RNG involved for this Beta Key drop I really feel like the effort I put in to getting this item was wasted and pointless…

Do we get something else for our efforts? Or do we just get to sit here feeling like we got played? I must say it’s not a very good feeling knowing how hard I tried to get that item only to find out that I didn’t need to do that at all since I was going to buy the “Pre-Order” anyways :/

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

What is the source of your info?

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

You don’t know the time frame of pre-order being available.

There could be 5 beta events in the time the pre-order beta access becomes available.

Posted by: Dragon Ruler X.8512

Dragon Ruler X.8512

“Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is now available for prepurchase. Buy now to receive the Maguuma Trailblazer exclusive title and access to all beta weekend events.”

Source: http://dulfy.net/2015/05/19/gw2-upcoming-items-from-may-19-patch/

Posted by: dsslive.8473

dsslive.8473

That information was datamined, not officially released yet, so there is no telling when it will be announced and when those beta events will take place. So no need to jump the gun.

If you want to assume anything, do so based on officially anounced information, and that is that those who received a portal will be invited for a closed beta event.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I’d imagine a beta weekend event isn’t the same as a closed beta.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

“Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is now available for prepurchase. Buy now to receive the Maguuma Trailblazer exclusive title and access to all beta weekend events.”

Source: http://dulfy.net/2015/05/19/gw2-upcoming-items-from-may-19-patch/

That is a datamine. Various sources have been publishing stuff which has been datamined since the launch of the game. A lot of it appears in the data many months before it becomes available and some of it never appears at all.

You should always treat datamined items as speculation and rumour until it is confirmed by an official ANET source – not fact.

Posted by: xXZeroDeathXx.9408

xXZeroDeathXx.9408

So I’ve been hearing mention that players will be able to buy the “Pre-Order” of HoT which will “grant access to all beta events” and the exclusive title “Maguuma Trailblazer”?

Considering the RNG involved for this Beta Key drop I really feel like the effort I put in to getting this item was wasted and pointless…

Do we get something else for our efforts? Or do we just get to sit here feeling like we got played? I must say it’s not a very good feeling knowing how hard I tried to get that item only to find out that I didn’t need to do that at all since I was going to buy the “Pre-Order” anyways :/

I think it’s a great idea, for those that did not have the time to grind, they have to purchase the beta access with money. For those that did grind and had the time they get it for FREE. I know people that had time and did the grind but no drop either. What are you complaining about?

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

Do we get something else for our efforts? Or do we just get to sit here feeling like we got played?

There are people who did just as much as you or even more who didn’t get an invite.
Also you got the normal Silverwaste/Dry Top loot so I don’t think there is any reason for complaining.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

I think it’s a great idea, for those that did not have the time to grind, they have to purchase the beta access with money. For those that did grind and had the time they get it for FREE. I know people that had time and did the grind but no drop either. What are you complaining about?

Just because other people have to pay to get the same privilege I got through luck doesn’t mean they deserve that privilege. They should have to be lucky, too. I don’t want the luckless rabble polluting my glorious beta weekend.

Posted by: The Wizland.8435

The Wizland.8435

Just because other people have to pay to get the same privilege I got through luck doesn’t mean they deserve that privilege. They should have to be lucky, too. I don’t want the luckless rabble polluting my glorious beta weekend.

“Myeah! I despise the unfortunate!”
Unfortunately I have to agree with you because it wouldn’t really be a closed beta and it’d negate the portal (if you’re doing the beta you’d probably get HoT too). You could’ve phrased it a LOT better though.

Jesusmancer

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The gist of the matter is:

Closed Betas (Portals give access) are different from Beta Weekend Events (Pre-purchase gives access).

Some may have confused the two…

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Indeed. If we look at actually history before the release of Guild Wars 2 there were closed betas and Beta Weekend events.

If you prepurchased you got guaranteed access to the Beta Weekend Events, but not to the closed betas. It is very likely that it is the same here. Guaranteed access to the BWEs with prepurchase and guaranteed access to one closed beta with Portal.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Silicato.4603

Silicato.4603

pointless why? some people will have to pay $ in order to access beta, buyng a “preorder” (so they’ll pay in adavance without even played the beta) and you got it for free and because of you effort.
Maybe they play the beta and say “oh man, i dont like it and i already payed for it!!” while you would say “Thank god i played this before paying cause i dont like it”

The diference between you and them is that they have to pay $ to access beta and you dont. I dont think it is a “pointless” fact.

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

It’s funny how people will rage over pieces of unofficial, unconfirmed information that they pieced together to become a truth that is by no means certain.

We know:

• If you got a beta portal drop, you’re guaranteed access to a closed beta in the future

We don’t know:

• When or if pre-purchase will be announced

So… think of it this way;

if you’re lucky to have a beta portal, you are guaranteed access to a closed beta with no pre-purchase necessary. I.e. you can try out and see if it strikes your fancy. And there’s no telling when a pre-purchase will become available, but we know that those with a beta portal will get access to the next closed beta.

Calm down…

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

There’s no effort in luck :P Someone might have gotten it on his first mob kill.

Also pre-purchase is not mandatory, it’s optional. So someone might wait with prepurchase until after he had tried the beta or people still undecided about HOT.

Just because it’s of no use for you OP does not mean it’s pointless.

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

Closed Betas (Portals give access) are different from Beta Weekend Events (Pre-purchase gives access).

No, they aren’t for GW2. I know since I’ve been in the very first GW2 closed betas right after alphas.

They were done from the start as beta “weekends” like friday-monday or thursday-monday and so on. There were also break periods between them.

Think of it as focus tests.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No, they aren’t for GW2. I know since I’ve been in the very first GW2 closed betas right after alphas.

They were done from the start as beta “weekends” like friday-monday or thursday-monday and so on. There were also break periods between them.

Think of it as focus tests.

I am afraid you are mistaken. There were definitely closed beta tests before the BWEs.

CBT1 Dec. 16th, 2011
CBT2 Feb. 17th – 19th, 2012
CBT3 Mar. 23rd – 25th, 2012
Access by invitation

BWE1 Apr. 27th – 29th, 2012
BWE2 Jun 8th – 10th, 2012
etc. etc.
Access by Pre-purchase (guaranteed) and invitation

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Beta#Closed_beta

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

Portals were available, pre-purchase access was not. Forum reaction: “**** THESE PORTALS! Why won’t they just let us pre-purchase for beta access already?! I have money but not time, just take my money and LET ME IN!”

Portals no longer available, pre-purchase access potentially on the horizon. Forum reaction: “**** THIS PREORDER! Why would they just let people pre-purchase for beta access already?! I had time to grind a portal, how dare they just take your money and LET YOU IN!”

…oh forums. How very silly you are.

xXZeroDeathXx.9408

That makes no sense. That rng luck was free! Stop complaining, they need as many feedback on the expansion, so for those that did not get drops they will have to purchase.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

Unfortunately I have to agree with you because it wouldn’t really be a closed beta and it’d negate the portal (if you’re doing the beta you’d probably get HoT too). You could’ve phrased it a LOT better though.

That makes no sense. That rng luck was free! Stop complaining, they need as many feedback on the expansion, so for those that did not get drops they will have to purchase.

God kitten , how much heavier do I need to make my sarcasm?

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Not pointless, they get you into the 5/26 beta. The pre-purchase is not out yet so you can’t use it to get into that one.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

xXZeroDeathXx.9408

God kitten , how much heavier do I need to make my sarcasm?

your sarcasm was horrible…perhaps you should look up on how to present sarcasm the correct way.