Possible fix to crashes? (32bit restriction)

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: MrPersons.1560

MrPersons.1560

I have this game called sins of a solar empire that is also 32bit and crashes when mods with too much content or too high res textures for each ship crashes the game when it gets to the 32bit RAM limit, however, there is a very simple .exe that comes with every mod nowadays that increases the RAM available by 1gb which basically solved the problem with sins. The forum the program originated from said that it can be applied to ANY 32bit program, which may be why I have never crashed in GW2 ever. I had applied it before I even started playing the game 2 years ago, and have had no crashes since, even after HoT.

If you want to try it or read more about it, the thread with the program is
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/

all you have to do is point it to the GW2 .exe file and check the LAA box on the program and boom, it gives it an extra 1GB of RAM usage (as far as I understand). if you want to remove it again, just open the program again, go back to the GW2.exe and uncheck the box, and hit apply again and it removes it.

I have been playing with it active for nearly 900 hours so there is no risk of the game thinking you are hacking or anything. Also there are no viruses on the page or in the program. As I said, basically every Sins mod uses it, so I doubt they want to give a virus to their players lol

If someone would try it and post it back here to see if it helps that would be great. As I said I personally have never had a crash in this, but my experience may not be the same as everyone’s.

Androcles Beartamer:Norn Warrior|Nadul the Mechanist: Charr Engineer|Espergem: Sylvari Elementalist
Sythern the Warlock: Human Necromancer| Lithia the Shadow: Human Theif
Lumata: Asura Mesmer|Arion of HonorHall: Human Guardian |Abigail the Tamer: Norn Hunter

MrPersons.1560

Anyone else gotten to try this yet? It could alleviate the crashing problem at least until Anet gets around to fixing it

Androcles Beartamer:Norn Warrior|Nadul the Mechanist: Charr Engineer|Espergem: Sylvari Elementalist
Lumata: Asura Mesmer|Arion of HonorHall: Human Guardian |Abigail the Tamer: Norn Hunter

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

GW2 is already large address aware.

MrPersons.1560

How so? Its a 32bit program, not 64bit

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

LAA allows a 32 bit app running on a 64-bit OS to use 4GB of address space.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

MrPersons.1560

Exactly, that would help with the problem with crashes, people seem to point fingers at GW2 being 32bit and only using 2gb RAM that causes the crashes. The application I linked allows GW2 to use 4GB if you have a 64bit OS, it Doubles the amount of available RAM use, which should solve the problem. Probably why I have never crashed in it.

Posted by: GragorR.9768

GragorR.9768

I’ll bite, will report here in a few days.

- BG -

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I’ll bite, will report here in a few days.

with a guide please, if it works

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Morhyn.8032

Morhyn.8032

The tool will do nothing:

$ ./dumpbin.exe -headers /j/Games/Misc/GW2/Gw2.exe | less
Microsoft (R) COFF/PE Dumper Version 14.00.23026.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Dump of file j:/Games/Misc/GW2/Gw2.exe

PE signature found

File Type: EXECUTABLE IMAGE

FILE HEADER VALUES
             14C machine (x86)
               F number of sections
        5633FC7F time date stamp Fri Oct 30 19:25:51 2015
               0 file pointer to symbol table
               0 number of symbols
              E0 size of optional header
             122 characteristics
                   Executable
                   Application can handle large (>2GB) addresses
                   32 bit word machine

The “Application can handle large (>2GB) addresses” line indicates that it is already LAA.

MrPersons.1560

Strange, no idea why people keep saying that the 2gb limit is the culprit, and that I have not experienced any crashes yet. Maybe I am just lucky.

Anyway, figured I would throw the idea out to see if it helped.

(edited by MrPersons.1560)

Posted by: Misguided.5139

Misguided.5139

The application I linked allows GW2 to use 4GB if you have a 64bit OS, it Doubles the amount of available RAM use,

As I said, GW2 already had this feature, so the program does not do that. I wish it did.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Strange, no idea why people keep saying that the 2gb limit is the culprit, and that I have not experienced any crashes yet. Maybe I am just lucky.

Anyway, figured I would throw the idea out to see if it helped.

I’m watching others crash in WvW and HoT constantly and I have only crashed once since the xpack released and I’m not even sure if it wasn’t just the old packet loss issue that crops up time and again.

Never mind, just had a crash out of nowhere in DS mid.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: GragorR.9768

GragorR.9768

Doesn’t seem to have helped so far, still crashing left and right.

- BG -

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Strange, no idea why people keep saying that the 2gb limit is the culprit

They aren’t. You are mistaking problems.

The application you linked can allow a 32bit application to extend the 2gb barrier… up to the 3.5 gb (the max a 32bit application can address). GW2.exe can do this natively, so the application won’t change anything.

Now, the OOM errors are caused not by going past 2 gb (which guild wars can do safely,), but by crossing that 32bit boundary (3.5 gb).

In short, the application solves a problem that doesn’t apply to GW2, and not the real reason of OOM crashes.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Pharazon.3095

Pharazon.3095

With the amount of report this problem has had, I assume that Anet is working on a solution one way or the other. I’m even getting some annoying FPS drops now here and there, which I didn’t get before, so something’s changed with the HoT release that makes the game go into the borderline between what it can and can’t do.