Precursor Crafting Overpriced?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Slightly cheaper being around 250g cheaper for the the legend, around 50g cheaper for Zap, and 200g cheaper for spark and those are with Buy orders only

We’re still talking around 500g+ for these things though, which is not chump change. The gold cost is still the largest and most time consuming element of their construction, which it should not be.

I can only imagen what you are all gonna say when you find out all the grind you need for a Legendary after this pre .. clovers, high mats by the 250, and 400 crafting and allot more …

And that’s part of the point too, that after jumping through all the hoops necessary to earn the Pre AND paying significant amounts of gold, you still have to start from scratch on turning it into a full Legendary, and all that entails. If they’re going to charge you so much gold for the Precursor Crafting process, the least they could do is offer you shortcuts to the Legendary process, like throwing in some of the more expensive or time consuming components.

You don’t know what drives Anet’s decision to introduce precursor crafting.

Nor do we have any reason to care. We’re working from what drives the community to ask for Precursor Crafting, and if ANet’s solution does not solve the community’s problems then it is a failed solution, no matter what their rationale might be. If ANet did not set out to fix the problem that the community was expressing, then they set out in the wrong direction.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

I’m 100% cool with them costing a lot, only downside I see is that it costs so many ascended (time gated) materials, I’d rather trade a large chunk of those materials for something else, like the PvP and WvW currency for example

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Ohoni.6057

I’m 100% cool with them costing a lot, only downside I see is that it costs so many ascended (time gated) materials, I’d rather trade a large chunk of those materials for something else, like the PvP and WvW currency for example

Nope.

done by now.”

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Nor do we have any reason to care.

… except when it suits you. You do use the reason of ‘expensive’ to justify complaining about the crafting implementation.

/golfclap.

Ohoni.6057

… except when it suits you. You do use the reason of ‘expensive’ to justify complaining about the crafting implementation.

/golfclap.

I’m not sure what point you believe you’re making here. The crafting implementation IS too expansive. Do you object to us pointing that out?

done by now.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you were content (as many of us are), to slowly build towards your legendary, you would be spending much less.

The total cost is the same, just because you spend mats and not gold doesn’t mean the value is less.

No, the total cost for me is going to be much less — those building them now are spending a premium on time or coin to acquire their mats. I am selling those very mats now and will be repurchasing them again later, at reduced prices. I’ll spend less on labor and/or coin — the difference is that I won’t acquire the new shinies until much, much later.

Or put another way, the variables affecting total expenses are: labor, coin, and calendar date — I am trading the last one (when I acquire) in order to save on the first two.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Obtena.7952

/golfclap.

I’m not sure what point you believe you’re making here. The crafting implementation IS too expansive. Do you object to us pointing that out?

Point is pretty simple here; you’re making contradictory statements when it suits your argument to do so.

I object to you stating that as a fact, since it’s subjective. I’m also challenging the notion that it even matters if it’s expensive since I doubt very much Anet’s goal was to make it cheap. In otherwords, where you see fail because it’s ‘expensive’ and think it should be fixed, Anet probably doesn’t see fail because avoiding expensive had nothing to do with their implementation.

But please, like the rest of your issues that turn into megathreads, continue to push that like it’s a compelling reason for Anet to change it.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Paralux.6714

Paralux.6714

I think it’s idiotic that both WwW Memories of Battle and PvP Shards of Glory is sellable/buyable from the TP. I really think this need to be changed to make the precursor crafting more about the time and effort rather than having a lot of gold.

m e s m e r <3

Ohoni.6057

Point is pretty simple here; you’re making contradictory statements when it suits your argument to do so.

No, I’m not.

I object to you stating that as a fact, since it’s subjective. I’m also challenging the notion that it even matters if it’s expensive since I doubt very much Anet’s goal was to make it cheap. In otherwords, where you see fail because it’s ‘expensive’ and think it should be fixed, Anet probably doesn’t see fail because avoiding expensive had nothing to do with their implementation.

And my point is that if ANet does not see it being expensive as being a problem, then they have already failed out of the gate.

done by now.”

Obtena.7952

They failed based on players’ unrealistic expectations? That’s a fairly obtuse and unreasonable line of thought. I’m sure Anet will jump at that reasoning to fix this.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Ohoni.6057

They failed based on players’ unrealistic expectations? That’s a fairly obtuse and unreasonable line of thought. I’m sure Anet will jump at that reasoning to fix this.

It’s not an unrealistic expectation. It may not be the expectation that ANet had in mind, just as 400HP was the expectation they had in mind, or tens of millions of XP to max out masteries was the expectation they had in mind, ANet has a lot of expectations that don’t mesh up with what the players are looking for. That only becomes a problem when they fail to adapt.

done by now.”

Obtena.7952

Yes, Anet changes expectations based on compelling arguments. Being expensive is to craft is not at compelling reason to change precursor crafting because we know what is expected in terms of resource for legendaries as well as a little common sense.

The way I see it, if expense was a factor in their solution to legendary ‘problem’, I don’t even think we would have gotten precursor crafting because it’s far to complicated a solution. I think if expense was a factor, they would have simply upped the drop rate from the forge and prices on the TP would have went down accordingly. This isn’t some crazy idea either; Anet has shown lots of time they are willing to make adjustments to control costs.

No, I’m going to bet based on the the work they have done for precursor crafting and they fact that they have shown willingness to manipulate mats (and not do it for precursor drops for the last three years) that they didn’t and wont use ‘expensive’ as a reason to change precursor crafting. You guys need a better story.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Ohoni.6057

Yes, Anet changes expectations based on compelling arguments. Being expensive is to craft is not at compelling reason to change precursor crafting because we know what is expected in terms of resource for legendaries as well as a little common sense.

And we know what was expected for fully mastering our elite specs, and yet the players did not like what was expected, and ANet changed their mind about it. This is no different, and no more “compelling argument” was made in that case than has been made for cheaper Precursor crafting, whether you personally agree or not.

The way I see it, if expense was a factor in their solution to legendary ‘problem’, I don’t even think we would have gotten precursor crafting because it’s far to complicated a solution. I think if expense was a factor, they would have simply upped the drop rate from the forge and prices on the TP would have went down accordingly. This isn’t some crazy idea either; Anet has shown lots of time they are willing to make adjustments to control costs.

They could have, and most would agree with you that they should have, but they wanted to add a crafting method, and so they did that. That was their choice. But what the players have long been demanding, the problem in search of a solution, was the amount of gold it took to earn a Precursor (or the amount of gold one would have to forgo to earn a Precursor), and the existing option fails to achieve that solution.

You may not view that as a problem, but that is irrelevant, others do, and others are still seeking a solution to that problem, whether or not you or ANet view it as a problem.

done by now.”

Posted by: NorbAguilar.8205

NorbAguilar.8205

I feel kinda cheated by the prices for the crafting. I was going in expecting that the collections were going to be an alternative to spending huge amounts of gold. But now there is this bait and switch, I rather enjoy working on collections and have enjoyed working on these so far. But then suddenly I still have to pay huge amounts of gold. I could craft several pieces of ascended gear just to make this one exotic weapon, that’s just a piece of what I really want. I don’t even want to look at how much the next steps will cost. I feel that the intention that I was given preceding the release was that the crafting would allow people to make legendary weapons by putting in a lot of time and effort playing the game, and not putting a lot of money into it.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

I feel kinda cheated by the prices for the crafting. I was going in expecting that the collections were going to be an alternative to spending huge amounts of gold. But now there is this bait and switch, I rather enjoy working on collections and have enjoyed working on these so far. But then suddenly I still have to pay huge amounts of gold. I could craft several pieces of ascended gear just to make this one exotic weapon, that’s just a piece of what I really want. I don’t even want to look at how much the next steps will cost. I feel that the intention that I was given preceding the release was that the crafting would allow people to make legendary weapons by putting in a lot of time and effort playing the game, and not putting a lot of money into it.

This is the same as my feelings towards this legendary crafting.

I thought that they would let us do something challenging, and not have to farm gold all day just to get a precursor.

What is the point of making these legendary crafting if it’s going to cost the same as buying it from the Trading Post???

I don’t feel like doing those collections if I can just buy it from the TP for the same amount of gold… without having to do those collections. :/

I shouldn’t have to collect 3492348293 woods/ores just to craft a precursor… it’s ridiculous.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Skullduggery.2054

Skullduggery.2054

I spent so much Money on the Chaos Gun Crafting, i couldve bought 2 Chaos Guns off the TP already, and im not even done yet, because a merchant is bugged and blocks progress xdxdxdxd, kinda dissapointing.

Tom
—————-
No Johns

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

This is the same as my feelings towards this legendary crafting.

I thought that they would let us do something challenging, and not have to farm gold all day just to get a precursor.

What is the point of making these legendary crafting if it’s going to cost the same as buying it from the Trading Post???

I don’t feel like doing those collections if I can just buy it from the TP for the same amount of gold… without having to do those collections. :/

I shouldn’t have to collect 3492348293 woods/ores just to craft a precursor… it’s ridiculous.

I can’t help but feel similarly too. Ultimately, I’m logging in to my 500 Leatherworker/500 Huntsman every day to craft all four of the ascended mats to start working on these legendaries, but looking at the costs and time gates this will literally take years to complete all of them. Maybe that’s the idea, but part of the Legendary Journey was that you could only do this once per pre-cursor. I thought that would surely change how this process would affect the journey, and I was hoping that these pre-cursors would be account-bound because of it but apparently not…Making it so that crafting the pre-cursor and outright buying the pre-cursor, for all intents and purposes, net the same result for the same or similar amount of gold (not counting the small amount of AP earned from crafting) really disincentivizes crafting.

I’m still going to keep building up my materials, and I really don’t mind grinding for it, but it feels a bit weird how a majority of the “journey” can be bypassed by having amassed vast quantities of gold rather than everyone having to do challenges and exploration tied specifically to the weapons. I don’t even mind massive time gates, but having gold be an option for large parts of this makes it feel less fun. Maybe the HoT Legendaries will see a different crafting style.

Posted by: Arnianor.5489

Arnianor.5489

It IS too expansive. No matter what you put behind. For the “old” legendaries, the only reason you could have to craft your precursor is you’re doing either Bolt or Twilight, or for the pride of “I did it all by myself” (congrats, it’s not written on the final product ).
Other than that, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to craft it yourself, because the price if way too high.
And to answer the people with the false argument “you can gather all the mats yourself, so it doesn’t cost anything”: congrats Sherlock, we’re so stupid we didn’t figure this out ourselves.
Here’s another for you (that obviously, you didn’t figure out….): you could have sold all those mats, and with the gold you just made you could have bought 2-3 precursor, depending on which one you want. Or sold just enough materials to buy the precursor, and keep the remaining for, I don’t know, your legendary backpack / armor ? Or another legendary weapon?

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

No they are not.
They are meant as a long term goal over many months.
The idea is to go out and gather the mats needed not pay top price for items already made. Jeez

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Arnianor.5489

Arnianor.5489

No they are not.
The idea is to go out and gather the mats needed not pay top price for items already made. Jeez

So in your opinion, it is completely normal that, let’s say, Tooth of Frostfang costs 459g on the trading post, and over 1200g to craft ? Or Storm, less than 400g to buy on the trading post, and just the first tier being more expansive ? Or maybe the Colossus, 748g vs an easy 1500g, to take a two handed weapon ? I don’t care that you have to buy 0 resources because you can gather everything, because it doesn’t matter : the price of what you gathered is still here, whether you see it or not. And if the gathered materials’ price on the selling end is 2-3 times higher than the finished product, then there’s a problem.
Any person with a slight notion of economy can see something is wrong. But please, continue not to think, craft two “old” precursor, and then think you might want to do a legendary armor too, and come tell us again in 5 years* that you were correct and those were not overpriced, when you spent 2-3 times more resources than someone who can actually do basic math.

*Complete random number, might be 7 or 3, but if you already spend months to get a precursor (because yes, it’s stupidly timed gated), which is NOT, in ANY way, a legendary, then spend again couple of months to transform it into a legendary, then it won’t be many years before you’re done with a legendary set.

(edited by Arnianor.5489)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

No they are not.

So in your opinion, it is completely normal that, let’s say, Tooth of Frostfang costs 459g on the trading post, and over 1200g to craft ? Or Storm, less than 400g to buy on the trading post, and just the first tier being more expansive ?

It’s completely ‘normal’ that there are variations in the price at the moment:

• The demand for the crafting mats is higher than normal: lots of people are at the same point in the process and many are in a rush to finish.
  • The supply hasn’t caught up yet, because it takes time for farmers to switch from their old routes/methods to new ones.
  • The demand for old-style precursors is lower and the supply is higher, since lots of folks are focused on the do-it-yourself methods.

The collection method of obtaining a precursor offers two advantages over the traditional:

• It’s not random (or mostly not); it’s easy to make continual progress on your own (aside from quest issues that ANet is working on). The old method depended on luck (mystic forge or drops) or coin; you couldn’t do anything to increase your progress except to spend more or kill more.
  • It’s a journey and some people are having a great time doing that.

If all you care about is the cost, then of course it will sometimes be cheaper to buy it rather than craft, just as it can often be cheaper to buy all sorts of other things off the TP rather than craft them yourself. For example, you can buy 5 Tuning Icicles for ~20s, whereas it costs seven times more (~1.4g) to craft them using the appropriate recipe. The supply from gifts is more than sufficient to match the demand and the price of candy canes remains high (due to the sweet title, among other things).

tl;dr if all that matters is cost, then take the cheaper route and don’t worry about whether collecting should be less costly than buying off the TP. If the most important thing is doing it yourself, then it shouldn’t matter much what the TP price is.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

For all those complaining about the old pre’s costing more to make than buying them, then just save up and buy them, the old pre’s use mats that are also needed by the new legendary’s this is what is driving the price up,

Its a simple supply and demand, those who take there time will not notice the gold it takes to craft as much as someone who wants it all done now,

If the problem is still rampant in a year from now then it needs looked at, but supply will likely have caught up with demand at this point, driving prices down.

Long story short, you want new legendary now you pay more, you want it but over time you pay less.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

No they are not.

this is what the real problem is. staunch defenders of a bad system.

not to mention that i don’t think anyone starts the journey of building a legendary with it being a long term goal over many months.
it’s like saving up for a game system, having the money to buy it, but deciding to ‘gather’(purchase) the materials and make it yourself for more money. that’s not logical.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Obtena.7952

Just because you don’t think no one starts legendary crafting thinking it’s a long term goal doesn’t mean Anet didn’t intended to be one. If you can’t recognize that legendary crafting it’s DESIGNED to be a long term goal, you’re just being obtuse.

So in your opinion, it is completely normal that, let’s say, Tooth of Frostfang costs 459g on the trading post, and over 1200g to craft ? Or Storm, less than 400g to buy on the trading post, and just the first tier being more expansive ? Or maybe the Colossus, 748g vs an easy 1500g, to take a two handed weapon ?

It’s not about what players think is normal. To me, it’s pretty obvious what someone does in these cases. The prices will normalize over time. Frankly, if people crafting are WILLING to do so instead of buying legendaries outright at this time, then it’s really not a problem. In fact, people crafting one actually benefits someone that wants to get a legendary.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Lightsbane.9012

Just because you don’t think no one starts legendary crafting thinking it’s a long term goal doesn’t mean Anet didn’t intended to be one. If you can’t recognize that legendary crafting it’s DESIGNED to be a long term goal, you’re just being obtuse.

So in your opinion, it is completely normal that, let’s say, Tooth of Frostfang costs 459g on the trading post, and over 1200g to craft ? Or Storm, less than 400g to buy on the trading post, and just the first tier being more expansive ? Or maybe the Colossus, 748g vs an easy 1500g, to take a two handed weapon ?

It’s not about what players think is normal. To me, it’s pretty obvious what someone does in these cases. The prices will normalize over time. Frankly, if people crafting are WILLING to do so instead of buying legendaries outright at this time, then it’s really not a problem. In fact, people crafting one actually benefits someone that wants to get a legendary.

as i said, staunch defenders of a bad system are the problem. this whole ‘long term goal’ argument not only goes against logic, but human nature. say someone has the means to create a legendary the normal way, and the ‘crafting’ way. does human nature say they will take the slow option?
does logic?

Obtena.7952

You can repeat yourself all you want. Logic says people buy from the TP until the prices equalize to the cost of crafting. It’s not a bad system just because of your inability to understand that’s what will happen. Actually, the level of logical anyone thinks the system might be isn’t even relevant. You only have to ask yourself if you’re willing to use it. If your answer is no, you have options to not use it. Time for people to be act like mature, responsible adults here, make choices and just move forward with those choices. Complaining about the choices you think are bad ones, even though you won’t choose them is itself, not reasonable. Some people do opt to craft, believe it or not, and their reasoning is simply based that they want to do it.

It’s laughable that you think the problem here are people that recognize crafting a legendary is a choice. And you’re going to sit on your high ivory tower of ‘logic’ to justify complaining about legendary crafting? Interesting.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: interloper.6892

interloper.6892

Given that some of the precursors are worth roughly half as much as the materials required to craft them, I’d be amazed if the market ever adjusts enough by itself to make those collections worthwhile, especially as precursors are still coming onto the market from random drops or mystic forge.

Obtena.7952

It’s simply a matter of time but the prices will equalize to some extent. I do think there will be a ‘premium’ for buying a finished precursor vs. crafting, but that is speculation.

On the other hand, even if they don’t, or it takes ‘too long’ for them to equalize … there shouldn’t be any problem. Just sell your mats at the higher price to those that are crafting and be smart; take that money and just buy it.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

as i said, staunch defenders of a bad system are the problem. this whole ‘long term goal’ argument not only goes against logic, but human nature. say someone has the means to create a legendary the normal way, and the ‘crafting’ way. does human nature say they will take the slow option?
does logic?

You’ve misunderstood what people are defending. If your goal is to go quickly, then buy the precursor outright; that’s always the fastest way.

If your goal is to do it yourself at your own pace, then go at your own pace — farm when the market is high; buy only when the market is low.

The collection system was designed as an alternative to the economically efficient option that already exists: buying the precursor off the TP; it wasn’t designed to undercut that system.

Posted by: Avraham.8504

Avraham.8504

No, that’s the core of the entire argument. If people were happy with the existing Precursor prices then there would be no need for the crafting quests in the first place. The ENTIRE point is to drive the prices back down to a reasonable level.

No, it wasn’t. The point of the quest is to give a way to work towards the precursor over time without having to rely on RNG. It’s not designed to make it easier, cheaper, or more attainable to casuals who want hand outs at the expense of everybody elses goals.

A.net did the right thing.

After reading this post, I felt compelled to throw in my two cents. No disrespect but I disagree. Here’s why: we already had a way to obtain the precursor without having to rely on RNG. We can purchase the precursor for gold off the A.H.

I suspected that the Legendary Mastery quest for creating a precursor would be time consuming (and I believe it should be). But, it doesn’t make sense to have the overall gold investment to craft the precursor equal or more than the purchase price of a precursor on the A.H. Why would I go through all the time and trouble leveling up the Mastery line, questing and crafting a precursor if I can buy it for the same price?

I completed the first tier for Precursor Mastery. Once I saw the requirement to craft the weapon for tier two, I stopped. I felt it was better to save my gold and purchase it (or somehow get very lucky with RNG). If I go the Precursor Mastery route, I’ll spend a ton of resources and time, not to mention gold, which I don’t have as of yet. Easier to save up the gold and by the Precursor. Also, this is just for the Precursor, I’ll still need gold and resources to create the Legendary.

Last, there is no reason to be condescending and I understand your opinion (even if I don’t agree). As a casual gamer I had hoped the quest line would be more “Quest” and less “Craft.” As I understand it, many gamers were disappointed too.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

does logic?

Take people doing trips. Some people take the highways. Some people take.The scenic route. The highway is most times the quickest and cheapest option. But the people.who take.The scenic route are either not in a hurry and want the slower pace or care more about the journey than reaching their destination.

Those methods aren’t wrong or right in their own right. Whether they are wrong or right depends on the person and their personal preferences and situation.

Precursor buying or crafting is the same. It may be the wrong choice for you, but for me it is the right choice. And neither of us is wrong.

Lightsbane.9012

does logic?

Take people doing trips. Some people take the highways. Some people take.The scenic route. The highway is most times the quickest and cheapest option. But the people.who take.The scenic route are either not in a hurry and want the slower pace or care more about the journey than reaching their destination.

Those methods aren’t wrong or right in their own right. Whether they are wrong or right depends on the person and their personal preferences and situation.

Precursor buying or crafting is the same. It may be the wrong choice for you, but for me it is the right choice. And neither of us is wrong.

a fine argument, indeed. but you must accept the fact that a scenic route requires more gasoline, or in this case gold. one must also accept the fact that resources are not unlimited in either case. some have less time to devote to such a task. i think it’s unfair to those who cannot devote time to such a long journey.

i think it’s time we accept that not everything put into practice works the way it’s meant to when it’s on the drawing board. but if this is working as intended, maybe it’s time the concept is revisited.

Obtena.7952

If you can’t afford the scenic route, don’t take it. Other routes are cheaper

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Lightsbane.9012

why would one take it at all considering how much cheaper other routes are?

Seera.5916

Some people prefer the less hectic path. This is like needing to earn gold fast enough to get the precursor before it goes up in price dramatically.

Some people prefer to see the sights and aren’t in a rush to reach their destination. This is like wanting to go on a journey to get the precursor.

Not everyone has more fun doing things the cheapest and most efficient way.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Some people prefer the less hectic path. This is like needing to earn gold fast enough to get the precursor before it goes up in price dramatically.

Some people prefer to see the sights and aren’t in a rush to reach their destination. This is like wanting to go on a journey to get the precursor.

Does that argument justify the extreme discrepancy between crafting and buying a precursor? Most people think not, hence this thread discussing whether the cost/mechanics may need changed or revised.

I would personally prefer the longer journey, but not if it’s going to cost me twice as much.

Obtena.7952

This would be worth answering if it mattered at all. It’s an option that some people take. They don’t care about cost. If you care about cost, don’t craft your precursor. This ‘issue’ seems to me to be more about being mature and responsible more than it’s about bad game design. Take the path that makes sense to you. Don’t force yourself down one that you don’t like, just so you can complain about it.

You’re trying to argue that as implemented, crafting precursor is bad because you don’t understand who would do it. That makes no sense. People do.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Seera.5916

Does that argument justify the extreme discrepancy between crafting and buying a precursor? Most people think not, hence this thread discussing whether the cost/mechanics may need changed or revised.

I would personally prefer the longer journey, but not if it’s going to cost me twice as much.

Right now the cost of the precursor crafting is compounded by the fact that the mats required for them are also shared by a number of other items that are also high in demand due to the expansion. Guild hall upgrades, new ascended armors, new players gearing their characters up and leveling up their crafting.

Until prices are stable and have reached their new equilibrium price, no one can really say if the precursor method is too expensive or not.

And given how a minority of players of a game use the forums at all, one can not say if a majority or if a minority don’t like the price difference between crafting and buying the precursor.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Right now the cost of the precursor crafting is compounded by the fact that the mats required for them are also shared by a number of other items that are also high in demand due to the expansion. Guild hall upgrades, new ascended armors, new players gearing their characters up and leveling up their crafting.

Until prices are stable and have reached their new equilibrium price, no one can really say if the precursor method is too expensive or not.

And given how a minority of players of a game use the forums at all, one can not say if a majority or if a minority don’t like the price difference between crafting and buying the precursor.

Demand for ascended mats wont go down enough to make crafting equal to buying, and if anything they’ll only get more expensive every time they add more legendaries.

Seera.5916

Demand for ascended mats wont go down enough to make crafting equal to buying, and if anything they’ll only get more expensive every time they add more legendaries.

But right now it is a higher than average demand due to the expansion. I doubt it will go down to be as expensive or cheaper than buying off of the trading post, but demand is still higher than average and higher demand means higher prices.

A person’s threshold for whether crafting is too expensive compared to buying it outright is different from person to person. The lower the cost of the crafting is, the more people won’t have their personal threshold crossed. This of course assumes that the precursors on the trading post don’t rise in prices as people decide to sell closer to the price of crafting. Which will likely not happen. Precursor prices are likely to rise to be closer to crafting costs (because obviously some people are willing to pay that much).

Posted by: Tubs.8391

Tubs.8391

One thing that’s not been mentioned is that not all the tiers are equal in cost, for example i just finished the precursor for the Flameseeker Prophecies and tier 2 was way more expensive than 1 and 3, 3 in particular was mostly boss kills and visiting world areas.

If you have a lot of the mats already precursor crafting is fine, if you’re buying 100% of the items then yes it’ll be roughly the same. To put it in perspective i spent about 350G total on both the Chosen and Flameseeker Prophecies because i had mats that i’d collected over the last year of gameplay. Tier 2 of the Chosen requires around 20 Deldrimmor Ingots but i already had 7 from levelling a weaponsmith and huntsman to 450.

Posted by: Gambino.2109

Gambino.2109

It’s stupid ridiculous how they just decide to throw… Deldrimor in every possible corner as a requirement.. Part III especially after you gave up so many in part 2.. now all of a sudden stupid containers need deldrimor.

Posted by: Sansarah.3076

Sansarah.3076

Of course it costs that much if you buy everything instead of crafting and farming it. You can get it for a very low cost by simply farming it you know.

I know for a fact that when I started crafting the precursor for Astralaria that I had quite a bit of the materials needed from the start, so doing the rest of the farming was a pretty simple task.

If you are in a rush to get a precursor and don’t have the ingredients, it’ll be expensive, but it can be cheap as hell as well compared to buying the precursor.

If you don’t want to pay the price, then don’t do it. At least now you can get it by other means than the random spamming the Mystic forge with weapons costing an insane amount of gold and risk the chance of not getting anything at all. The randomness is gone and replaced with time, if you don’t want to spend the time to farm, then it can be replaced with gold. Easy as that.

(edited by Sansarah.3076)

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Of course it costs that much if you buy everything instead of crafting and farming it. You can get it for a very low cost by simply farming it you know.

I know for a fact that when I started crafting the precursor for Astralaria that I had quite a bit of the materials needed from the start, so doing the rest of the farming was a pretty simple task.

If you are in a rush to get a precursor and don’t have the ingredients, it’ll be expensive, but it can be cheap as hell as well compared to buying the precursor.

If you don’t want to pay the price, then don’t do it. At least now you can get it by other means than the random spamming the Mystic forge with weapons costing an insane amount of gold and risk the chance of not getting anything at all. The randomness is gone and replaced with time, if you don’t want to spend the time to farm, then it can be replaced with gold. Easy as that.

Should be on the Heart of Thorns description.

Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns
-if you don’t want to pay the price
then don’t do it.

I haven’t touched pre crafting even though I paid for the “privilege”. Sage advice.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

So I just got The Legend via collections, so I’ll share my opinion:

The cost:
Sure, it’s not cheaper than directly buying a precursor via TP, but I don’t think Anet intended to decrease their value. Anet is perfectly fine with some extreme expensive items. But what’s the sense behind choosing the collection way then, instead of simply farming enough gold?
Well, a) it gives a few AP, b) it’s more lore connected (e.g. to travel to runestones for a norn-connected weapon) and mainly c) it’s more of a progress instead of “oh, I waited years, but now I finally dropped a pre” or “I’ve farmed SW or similar stuff until I hoarded enough gold to buy it”. It’s more like a progress bar. Sometimes, after exploring a map on an alt, I had enough mats to craft another collection item. Or I farmed a few mat spots. And then you had to complete a task like getting crystallized by the Shatterer, followed by the need to farm a few mats again.
Of course it gets expensive if you prefer to buy all mats in the TP. Of course it’s nothing more than a mat sink that you need 2-3k old wood for Legend T3. But there are plenty of ways to get mats – maybe not 1000 a day, but it’s not supposed to work that way. It’s more a journey than a single field trip that’s completed in a day.

The timegating
Well, I haven’t really counted how many ascended mat is needed. I guess I needed around 50 spiritwood plank or less. I don’t think that ~2 months is too much time for a legendary weapon. I remember that I needed much longer to collect 250 T6 mats of each type^^ (long before laurels, lol…)
Plus, you’re always free to simply buy asc mats in the TP. Of course you’ll have to pay a bit more than buying the mats and building it for yourself, but I don’t think that it makes much of a difference here.

A few points I want to add:
- Legendary collections belong to the biggest mat sinks at the moment. It will take some time (mabye a year or more…), but eventually most of the players will have at least one collection completed. As long as no new mat sink will get implemented, mat costs will come down a bit more again. I wouldn’t be too surprised if some (e.g. leather) mats would get some change, since their prices increased so dramatically. Maybe Anet will take a step back and reduce the needed amount, or will add new, more reliable sources of low-tier leather.
- Set yourself a mark, like 100 or 1000 or whatever gold, and don’t get under that mark. Whenever you have some gold left, spend it on mats or whatever needed. Don’t put all your gold in, it will just frustrate you.
- The longer it takes, the more proud will you be when you finally achieved your goal. Trust me! It may take long, but it will be very satisfying

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

I made Astralaria and I love the fact that the precursor is only attainable through the collection although the mats needed are pretty insane.

I want to point out that only the first precursor (after to get Astralaria I) and the 2nd collection were really expensive, i. e. you needed a ton of ascended crafting material like elonian leather, spiritwood and deldrimor steel. After this collection III and IV were mostly a scavenger hunt with a few elonian leathers here and there. But it was mostly an awesome experience and a lot of fun!

But we talk about Legendary items here, it’s vanity, and not needed. Everyone who complains should just create an ascended item then.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Personally I think it would be better to put the material costs of the precursor recipes further towards the last few collections rather than the first.

I think the collections are quite interesting in an by themselves, but to meet this brick wall of ascended material costs right on the first tier is simply discouraging to continue. It’s supposed to be a journey, not a grind to go gather materials once again.

It’s also weird to pay ascended materials for something that is an exotic. It doesn’t fit in with the expectations. Then again ArenaNet usually goes beyond consistency and into making something completely different.

Either way, I find it understandable that people are disappointed in these collections without any significant reward. The amount of materials a legendary without precursor needs already is alot. In fact after 2 years of playing i had enough to make it minus precursor. I tried the RNG way, because it was the only thing, then something new comes which costs even more.

It turns the whole thing into make 5 steps forward into the rng route then do 10 steps back to make the turn into the new crafting route. I think the whole thing would be received much better if this was available from the first day of gw2 release. This is simply too late to basically start over and grind again. I seen the old maps many times, i can walk through them once in a while on a new character, but to dilligently farm materials, is something for the old days for me.

And sure it is possible, but is it fun?

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Seera.5916

Personally I think it would be better to put the material costs of the precursor recipes further towards the last few collections rather than the first.

I think the collections are quite interesting in an by themselves, but to meet this brick wall of ascended material costs right on the first tier is simply discouraging to continue. It’s supposed to be a journey, not a grind to go gather materials once again.

It’s also weird to pay ascended materials for something that is an exotic. It doesn’t fit in with the expectations. Then again ArenaNet usually goes beyond consistency and into making something completely different.

Either way, I find it understandable that people are disappointed in these collections without any significant reward. The amount of materials a legendary without precursor needs already is alot. In fact after 2 years of playing i had enough to make it minus precursor. I tried the RNG way, because it was the only thing, then something new comes which costs even more.

It turns the whole thing into make 5 steps forward into the rng route then do 10 steps back to make the turn into the new crafting route. I think the whole thing would be received much better if this was available from the first day of gw2 release. This is simply too late to basically start over and grind again. I seen the old maps many times, i can walk through them once in a while on a new character, but to dilligently farm materials, is something for the old days for me.

And sure it is possible, but is it fun?

It’s good where it is. Gives people a chance to go this is too expensive for me and back out before they put in too much time and effort.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Be sure to take into account opportunity cost when it comes to farming mats.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

It’s good where it is. Gives people a chance to go this is too expensive for me and back out before they put in too much time and effort.

If it’s time and effort enjoyed then that’s way more valuable content to the overall population of the game than a scarecrow at the start scaring away the majority.

What you are suggesting, in my view, is that putting the hardest level of a game first would be better because then people wouldn’t get disappointed once they reach it at the end and can’t finish it after so much time and effort in the first place. Which means that what you’re saying is, getting disappointed earlier is better. But I’m not quite sure that’s true in this case.

I suppose it functions greatly at discouraging people, but why would any game discourage itself from playing it right at the start? I would say that would be entirely backwards.

If anything could use some encouraging it would be the legendary creation.

Anyway, that’s entirely subjective I suppose, maybe I’m just used to incrementing difficulty, effort and time rather than the other way around.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik