Preload phase for HoT ? [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Inverse.2967

Inverse.2967

Q:

I just wondered if HoT assets would be added to the optional streaming/preload part of the game patcher prior to actual release, so that people on super slow internet actually will have a chance to start playing on the release weekend instead of just watching the download bar all sunday.
You know on slow connection you don’t want to be streamloading in the background while playing either.

Is there an overall HoT patch size estimate yet ?
Will there be a preload of some assets prior to release ?

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

Any chance we can get some info on how big the patch will be on release? A lot of us have subpar internet and want to get in on launch. Will we be able to preload the expansion if it has a large download size?

Posted by: Philanthropist.7246

Philanthropist.7246

Someone replied to my separate post about installation and said that a lot of the data should be pre-loaded on the day of launch. As for how to pre-download the rest, I’m not sure.

Posted by: feelingood.2106

feelingood.2106

We already have major part if not all of the content in our client. Maybe there will some more patches at tuesday as always.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

We wouldn’t be able to play BETA characters and maps if we didn’t have some of the expansion already right?

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Inverse.2967

I was looking for a solid yes/no/maybe redpost here, not speculation.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

We have some of the content already. But we will probably have to download a big chunk of HoT on launch day, unless ANet do small pre patches through out the week. As for ANet telling us, don’t hold your breath.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Some of it is already in. If you look at Verdant Brinks you can see map markers for the outposts.

Don’t expect an ANet staffer to come here and tell you something you’re going to find out anyway in a few days.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sidenti.6035

Sidenti.6035

We don’t always get what we want, kitten. You’re just gonna have to trust the clues you’ve already been given.

Or, barring that, get better internet. -Sid

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Unfortunately speculation, albeit informed speculation, is all other players can give you. And red posts don’t come on demand. The wily hunter of red posts will simply post the query in the politest possible manner and hope that other players will join in the thread enough that the hunter can chivy along more posts via continued thoughtful, politely concerned comments, and if a red poster has an answer and is allowed to give it and has the time to give it, voila! There could be an official answer!

Still, odds are that we have most of the client already. The hope mentioned in other threads on the subject is that we’ll get oodles more of it in the next few days so that slow connections can get hold of most of the data before the logjam on Friday. Said logjam is going to hit even the best connections

Posted by: Calyptica.6758

Calyptica.6758

A good publisher would inform their customers. That’s all I can say.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

You won’t get a solid ye/no/maybe unless Anet themselves answer. What we do know for certain is some of the patching has been included over the last couple months. It’s safe to assume that there will be some more patching and once Thursday hits there will be a larger then normal patch.

Assumptions are all the player base can provide for you.

Just a flesh wound.3589

A good publisher would inform their customers. That’s all I can say.

I’m sure. Although it’s always possible that they are working long hours right now and don’t have the time to read the forums and answer all the questions they see on all the threads, especially questions that will be answered on Friday.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

It’s also they weekend, they are entitled to their days off. Perhaps during the work week they will give us more info. Keep in mind this is a pretty big week for them, they have a lot to do in the next 4-5 days to make sure launch is a smooth as possible while minimizing bug and issues.

Posted by: Tic Tac Toe.1482

Tic Tac Toe.1482

I know we have already received the first map thanks to the BWE, but are we going to get the rest of the chunks throughout this week, or one huge download on Friday?

Bonus question: can you seed an optional torrent with an updated dat file? May ease some of the network load/bandwidth strain…

Inverse.2967

Yeah you are right, weekend might not have been the best time to fish for a red post.

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Most likely you have already downloaded most of Heart of Thorns due to the betas that have been in the past have been using the live client. The other stuff might have just been disabled/hidden so that this very thing could be avoided.

I expect a minimal amount of download on the release date.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Minimal would be ideal. Some stuff to override data mines (maybe a Teq-annoying reboot Thursday night) but most I would hope they just have 10/23 triggers on.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Bonus question: can you seed an optional torrent with an updated dat file? May ease some of the network load/bandwidth strain…

In simple terms, the patch is already being mirrored. If you’re encountering slow download speeds, try a different asset server using the -assetsrv command.

GW2’s dat file is dynamically allocated. Everyone’s dat file is going to be a little different so a torrent would be useless.

Most likely you have already downloaded most of Heart of Thorns due to the betas that have been in the past have been using the live client.

You’ve downloaded a small fraction of HoT. The expensive assets, for example all the voices for the story, have yet to be added. Considering the minimum requirements suggests 35 GB, the launch patch will likely be around 7 GB.

Posted by: Luthi.3061

Luthi.3061

Bump. Pretty important question tho’

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

I would expect a huge patch just before release, and then a second, moderately sized patch once it opens.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

we have already most likely downloaded huge parts of HoT already over the course of the last like 3-4 last patches or more to significantly reduce the amount of data to be needed for download when actually octover 23 is there …

They do this al the time, that we already download every patch something, which might find into the game then just alot of time later, while actually having it already downloaded several months ago …

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Vadar.3254

Vadar.3254

Is there gonna be some kind of pre-load, so we can have the expansion downloaded and ready to start when it goes live??

BrotherBelial.3094

Is there gonna be some kind of pre-load, so we can have the expansion downloaded and ready to start when it goes live??

We have some of it already, dew to beta weekends. We will still have to download a big chunk of it on launch day. As lets face it, there is always to the wire bug fixing. I don’t think any game in the last 5 years has not had a day one patch. Maybe we’ll get a pre patch tomorrow. But I will bet vital parts of my anatomy, that we will have to download something at launch.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

Posted by: RockSteady.7123

RockSteady.7123

if you preorder.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

I’m interested in this too since my internet speed is atrociously low

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

We have been downloading HoT content files for some months. There may be a patch tomorrow, and certainly one (or more) on Friday.

Good luck.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

I guess we’d have no more downloaded than we currently do due to potential data-mining spoilers.

Posted by: jgcd.6041

jgcd.6041

And there was plenty for the data miners to throw out there. To be honest, I think most of it’s already there, just needs to have the flags activated, the final bits thrown in, and so on.

They will probably throw in a pre the day before, or the day of, but before the time the xpac gets the green light. Also, expect much instability on the launch.

- This is a forum, expect logic to get left at the door, beaten bloody, and set on fire.

- The more asinine the post or thread, the more I am amused.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

why can’t get pre load hot now?

why force us to wait until friday?

let us update our gw2 client now to be hot ready by friday.

Posted by: kaat.8237

kaat.8237

Maybe they are still fine tuning it? Maybe it will be ready Friday and isn’t ready right now? Sheesh.

MARA on Gunner’s Hold

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Maybe they are still fine tuning it? Maybe it will be ready Friday and isn’t ready right now? Sheesh.

thats unacceptable.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

thats unacceptable.

Then don’t accept it. Go there and DEMAND that they install it on your computer RIGHT NOW!

NOW!!!

Heh heh, yeah. Like it or not, I’m sure you can accept it. Though I think it’s more about avoiding spoilers than anything else.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe it’s already preloaded, or at least a good portion of it. Have you looked at the Verdant Brink maps? You can see map markers on there.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

thats unacceptable.

What’re you gonna do about it?

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

thats unacceptable.

What’re you gonna do about it?

rage on the forums

Posted by: DistantStatic.6098

DistantStatic.6098

The moment developers send data, code, applications, etc… to the user, it is literally all wide open to those who want to dig through it; especially those who do it for a living. If they do a pre-load, there will be certain people who will have information on the legendary collections, for example, and have an unfair time advantage when gathering them let alone the lower cost of the items since most of the population doesn’t know their worth. They may even hoard these items and make a killing in the TP later and/or sell the information. That’s just one example of how the pre-load can be abused.

Or they are quite literally working on it till the last minute. (probably why they don’t have physical copies available )

lvl80 Guardian lvl80 Ranger lvl80 Elementalist lvl80 Thief …. Why do I list these anymore?
Toyota Car Dealers [TCD]

Posted by: The one to Rule.2593

The one to Rule.2593

Watch out guys……

Attachments:

Posted by: TNxPhil.7296

TNxPhil.7296

Does anyone know if there’s an official Feedback about a preload?
Can somebody of the ANet-Teame give us some information about this?

“Traeherne is our hero. He should die defending Tyria”
~Thank you so much arenanet!!!!!!!
~Fatebreaker Imperator Mel Goddess of Tyria, ~

Inverse.2967

The moment developers send data, code, applications, etc… to the user, it is literally all wide open to those who want to dig through it; especially those who do it for a living. If they do a pre-load, there will be certain people who will have information on the legendary collections, for example, and have an unfair time advantage when gathering them let alone the lower cost of the items since most of the population doesn’t know their worth. They may even hoard these items and make a killing in the TP later and/or sell the information. That’s just one example of how the pre-load can be abused.

Or they are quite literally working on it till the last minute. (probably why they don’t have physical copies available )

While you point does make sense at first looks, these pitfalls have already been taken care of in preloading schemes since the introduction of HL2 with the initial release of the steam platform.
There are ample easy no-brainer proven solutions to prevent information leaking from preload data. The easiest one: temporary encryption.

Posted by: Megane.2103

Megane.2103

I’d also like to know about this, from what i understand we have a pretty hefty amount of it loaded already (we use the same client for betas, and we could even see regular people while betas were running!) however you probably have a lot of changes, and it would be better to get them to us asap before we have to load at midnight or whatever on Thursday evening/Friday morning.

Posted by: shaquinna.2869

shaquinna.2869

There is already a post about this here:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Will-there-be-a-preload-phase-for-HoT

No official response yet, but you might find a bit of information.

Edit: Seems like my post got merged into the topic I was refering to :P

Evanny
[EU] Piken Square
Representing: ‘The Only One’ [One]

(edited by shaquinna.2869)

Posted by: Omega Zoa.3859

Omega Zoa.3859

Some people are cursed with very slow internet speeds..like 300kb/sec slow..So i have a question…may we have a pre-load thing like steam has? so we can play on release at midnight? otherwise..me and a few others will have to wait like 12 hours before we can actually hop in and play.

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

You have been preloading for weeks.
If you have a Ranger, look at your pets… The information is there already!

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

BrotherBelial.3094

Yeah we have been pre loading for awhile not, how else could people play in the beta events?

Posted by: Omega Zoa.3859

Omega Zoa.3859

Suppose so…i just hope its not “102,555 files left” or something shivers

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Posted by: Soren.9316

Soren.9316

Look at your dat file. From the HoT faq we know that with the Expac it should be around 35GB. That should give you a solid idea of how much you will have left to download once expac goes live

IGN: Soren the Always Lost
Gaiscioch Family [GSCH]

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

Look at your dat file. From the HoT faq we know that with the Expac it should be around 35GB. That should give you a solid idea of how much you will have left to download once expac goes live

22,7gb for me… Ouch.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

Posted by: Nekrothaft.6390

Nekrothaft.6390

Some of us have very slow connections.
Wouldn’t it be wise to allow people to pre-download the expansion before release time?

Haven’t seen anything of the like mentioned from Arenanet so I thought I’d ask if there are plans for this.

Thanks.

“Necros are in a good spot”…. let the kitten sacrifice commence.

Posted by: Nemizar.6152

Nemizar.6152

yeah i wanted to ask that to.It would be good if we could pre-download it today so we could start playing when it comes out right away