Progression - Masteries - ?

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: seshat.9652

seshat.9652

So, instead of a gear grind, or new lvl cap or anything like that, the masteries were made to allow us to progress.. so far, my progression is that I may now talk to vendors I couldn’t talk to. I can jump on mushrooms, glide, updraft in new maps. In the rest of the world I can have a mentor tag like the rest of the million people..and I can craft or have some slight benefits in fractals, that I don’t do.

just… wow

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

That’s about right.

Would you have preferred a raised level cap so you could have invalidated all your current gear, just to grind another set of gear and levels to be able to fight the new monsters?

One – Piken Square

seshat.9652

I was misled into believing that some sort of real progression was going to occur, instead of “busy time”.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Real progression as in “becoming more powerful”? What purpose would that serve, if the monsters were made tougher too? The net result would be that you would be just as “strong” or “weak” as you were before, just bigger numbers floating around.

That’s the problem with traditional gear treadmill MMOs. They give you a perception of becoming stronger, but it’s really all an illusion. That’s why they’re called treadmills. This is what Anet wanted to avoid, and I think they’ve done a nice job. There’s still a sense of progression without having to invalidate everything we’ve achieved so far.

One – Piken Square

seshat.9652

There is no progression in gw2. You hit 80 and that’s it. Exotics and if you do fractals, you spend tons of gold to make ascended gear and fight through for no progression. I had hope, that with the expansion that things were going to change. There’s not even content progression as in new.. anything. People will do the raids, for no progression, no rewards.. because there is nothing to move forward to. The game is static..and will remain so. I’m just sad because I had hopes something would change.. and the way mmos are today..there’s not much else out there. Fighting to just fight, and win..gets boring after a while. Saving a lot of gold, same.. when there’s nothing to buy but toys that do nothing… If people are happy with how this went, great. Im just very disappointed.

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

On the 1st day of HoT, I had trouble moving around in Verdant Brink because of no mastery. Then I proceeded to do story and other events around that I can reach while trying to learn the map. After I got the gliding, and then the jumping mushroom later, the map became like a whole new world. I could reach places I couldn’t before. I could enjoy more scenery, reached more bosses, tried out new Hero Point Challenges…. I felt like I progressed more in my exploration. That’s progression.

I’m now at Tangled Depth. There were some Hero Points that needed Poison Mastery or Ley Line Gliding Mastery. One day, when I progress more on the mastery line while doing story, enjoying events and exploring the map (I’m proud to say I have understood TD and how the map works), I will come back and finish what I couldn’t and progress my map completion and feel completed inside.

After I’ve done all that, I will focus on Fractals with my guildies (hopefully Anet will improved rewards by then. It’s the only thing that bugs me with fractals). We will try to progress to scale 100 while working on that shiny legendary backpack. My group quite enjoys Fractals for what it is.

When raids come out, we will work together to learn it, master it. Then we will progress to next raid wings when they come out and see what challenges await us.

There’s also that Guild Hall. Our guild is taking our time to progress through the upgrades and especially toward Guild Armor Trader 2 for that sweet new Light Guild Armor.

So, there’s my progression, things to work toward and how it feels good to progress.

PS: did you miss the memo that Guild Wars 2 is all about horizontal progression?

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

So what kind of progression would you want that doesn’t involve a level cap and gear treadmill?

seshat.9652

If you think that is progression and are having fun, then that’s good. All this is to me, is like giving a child something to do to keep them busy. You are bored, so here why don’t you go chase the cat around for 2 hours. Eventually you will catch the cat.. and that is progression. I cannot clap my hands or show excitement. Its logging in and finding things to do, so you think you’re doing something. Its not progression. If you enjoy those things, more power to you. I can log into a virtual world, build an entire city, make all my 3d objects, texture them, and furnish them.. and make my clothes even..and that is much more rewarding and I still would not call it game progression. I need to seriously decide if this is indeed a place for me..

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Don’t forget, this form of progression led directly from the CDI discussion between devs and community on the direction horizontal progression should take in GW2.

Posted by: Eneldiar.9670

Eneldiar.9670

I kinda agree and disagree with the OP’s post…

On one hand, I like that ArenaNet didn’t go for the traditional level-cap, gear-increase method because after playing MMOs for so long it get’s really frustrating. There’s nothing like spending a long time getting gear and then having all that time be totally invalidated come the next expansion. It’s the ways those particular games work and as a player you have to suck it up, but I came to GW2 hoping to avoid that and that has been the case thus far.

On the other hand masteries do feel a bit lackluster considering the XP required to unlock the higher levels. For me, to spend all that time having to do masteries in HoT that only affects me in HoT areas just seems kinda silly. Granted it will be to my advantage when the raids release, but when I leave the HoT areas to go do other things its like all my work’s for nothing. Even something as simple as being able to glide elsewhere would be kinda cool and feel like I earned something I can use everywhere else.

Not really me complaining, but more of an observation. I personally was hoping (way before the expansion was announced) that if they did have an expansion they would raise the level/gear, but the new gear would be partially purchasable with the old gear so those who had put the time in didn’t lose everything. They decided to take the mastery route – which I still think is cool – I’m just hoping they add more to it that’s more interesting than some of the stuff they have now, especially since some people are already almost done all their masteries which seems somewhat crazy to me.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

For me, to spend all that time having to do masteries in HoT that only affects me in HoT areas just seems kinda silly.

It does go further than HoT if you include cosmetics in your view of things. Personally, I’ve got a few skins I’d love to have that specifically require masteries to achieve (namely the Bo staff skin and the Lightbringer’s pack ), so to me progressing in those masteries brings me closer to aquiring skills that allow me to put together those skins.

One of the stated goals of the mastery system was specifically to allow for horizontal progression that wouldn’t mess with parts of the game outside the expansion, so all end results that you can take back to core Tyria are cosmetic only. You only grow “stronger” (or more versatile) in the expansion areas, but that expands your cosmetic options for the whole game.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

What the OP is looking for is vertical progression it seems. Boat masteries are horizontal progression.

seshat.9652

You know what? We all have our idea of what progression is. To some people having every dye in game and all outfits, is progression. Some people think its a guild hall, some people think its running fractals..etc and so on. To me, after years of gaming..my progression is being able to have my toon become more than it is. New content being conquered, new feats awaiting.. and yes more power. No new power, means no new content..it means same content just cosmetically different, eye candy changed.. same difficulty…no progression. To me, its a company saying this will keep you busy, so you feel like you are doing something worthwhile..but its really only something to keep you busy doing nothing. There is no challenge..no new skill needed. If I wanted, for me, to have items and look good.. there’s places like second life. Where are mmos, for people like me? People who want new challenges..new things to conquer and fight for? I think I am a dieing breed.. and its sad. I will hang out in gw2, til something comes along, or I just finally say.. im done.

Ayrilana.1396

Wait until Tuesday next week.

Posted by: IAMANDLOVE.3095

IAMANDLOVE.3095

So, instead of a gear grind, or new lvl cap or anything like that, the masteries were made to allow us to progress.. so far, my progression is that I may now talk to vendors I couldn’t talk to. I can jump on mushrooms, glide, updraft in new maps. In the rest of the world I can have a mentor tag like the rest of the million people..and I can craft or have some slight benefits in fractals, that I don’t do.

just… wow

wrong the games difficult and progession is fine, I enjoy playing every sec of it, as a matter of fact i just finished a 24hour session! once again if you dont like this game leave and nobody will miss you!

seshat.9652

So you think raids will be it?

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

You know what? We all have our idea of what progression is. To some people having every dye in game and all outfits, is progression. Some people think its a guild hall, some people think its running fractals..etc and so on. To me, after years of gaming..my progression is being able to have my toon become more than it is. New content being conquered, new feats awaiting.. and yes more power. No new power, means no new content..it means same content just cosmetically different, eye candy changed.. same difficulty…no progression. To me, its a company saying this will keep you busy, so you feel like you are doing something worthwhile..but its really only something to keep you busy doing nothing. There is no challenge..no new skill needed. If I wanted, for me, to have items and look good.. there’s places like second life. Where are mmos, for people like me? People who want new challenges..new things to conquer and fight for? I think I am a dieing breed.. and its sad. I will hang out in gw2, til something comes along, or I just finally say.. im done.

“no content”: new maps, new elites, new profession. “no challenge”: ever tried to solo hero point champion by yourself? “no new skill needed”: gliding and find your way through the air is a new skill.

yup. it’s clear gw2 is not for you.

And no, you’re not a dieing breed. There are more mmos out there that fit your needs than game like gw2. Games like gw2 are actually a minority.

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Ayrilana.1396

So you think raids will be it?

It’ll be the start.

Posted by: Jack.1469

Jack.1469

As has been said in numerous threads similar to this one, it really boils down to finding your own endgame and goals. If you can’t come up with any that are fun to work toward, maybe it’s time for you to reexamine why you play this game.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

They just need to add new layers on old maps, so the new masteries get more use on the old world.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks