Purchasing HoT

Purchasing HoT

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: dricboylan.9812

dricboylan.9812

Q:

I purchased GW2 about two years ago, I’ve played off and on, due to joining the military. My question is, do we get any refund or compensation if we purchased HoT? The expansion is the same price but the core game is included, I already have the core game, so I’m kind of confused. I’d be spending $50 for something I already have, along with additional content.

Purchasing HoT

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

No your spending 50 bucks on hot and have played for 3 years for your 50 bucks.

To keep game healthy population vise they give the base old game free for new users.

Purchasing HoT

Posted by: Azelvan.2153

Azelvan.2153

50$ is the price of expansion. The base game is already f2p.

Purchasing HoT

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You are entitled to a refund of the present price of the core game…which happens to be $0.00.

Fortunately, all current purchases support the Dev team, and all their hard work.

Good luck, and happy adventuring. =)

Purchasing HoT

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

I’d be spending $50 for something I already have, along with additional content.

Yes, that’s pretty much it.

What ArenaNet has done is that they have basically forced old players to buy the core game again, which in reality translates to paying $50,00 for the expansion while new players pay the same $50,00 and get both the expansion and the core game.

Ah, if you haven’t been told about it, the expansion also doesn’t come with a new character slot. You need to pay (even) more to get one of those.

And really, it’s $50,00 for basically 4 new PvE maps. Only 4.

It’s a bit ridiculous. My suggestion is to not buy HoT right now and instead wait until it goes on sale. Considering all the topics complaining about empty HoT maps, probably that sale will come soon enough.

Purchasing HoT

Linken.6345

Test have you even bought the expansion?
I mean you seem to have explored the only 4 maps pretty extensivly to say they are only as big as 4 core world maps.
Please finish 4 core world maps then time it (on a new char), then finish the 4 hot maps without any masteries in the same time.

Purchasing HoT

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

I mean you seem to have explored the only 4 maps pretty extensivly to say they are only as big as 4 core world maps.
Please finish 4 core world maps then time it (on a new char), then finish the 4 hot maps without any masteries in the same time.

What? They just said four PvE maps. They never said anywhere that they are only as big as 4 core world maps. Where did the translation go wrong for you? You started adding your own stuff to Test’s post that was never said.

At OP, it’s 50 bucks for the expansion. Plain and simple, Anet isn’t budging or reducing the price. They don’t care if you are a veteran or new, they want everyone to pay the same, regardless if you have already bought the core game.

From what I remember, as long as you bought your account before a certain date, you got a free character slot as “compensation” for being a veteran player. But I have no idea if they are still doing that or if it was only for pre-purchases.

All you can do is either buy it now, or wait till it goes on sale some time in the future. For now, there is still plenty to do in the core game, and with you being gone for awhile, I’m sure there is plenty of new stuff to keep you busy till then hopefully. Like, for example, Living World Season 2 if you missed it. If you’re not keen on getting HoT just yet, pick that up instead in the Gem Store and play through that to get up to date on what is going on with HoT.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Purchasing HoT

Linken.6345

What? They just said four PvE maps. They never said anywhere that they are only as big as 4 core world maps. Where did the translation go wrong for you? You started adding your own stuff to Test’s post that was never said.

At OP, it’s 50 bucks for the expansion. Plain and simple, Anet isn’t budging or reducing the price. They don’t care if you are a veteran or new, they want everyone to pay the same, regardless if you have already bought the core game.

From what I remember, as long as you bought your account before a certain date, you got a free character slot as “compensation” for being a veteran player. But I have no idea if they are still doing that or if it was only for pre-purchases.

All you can do is either buy it now, or wait till it goes on sale some time in the future. For now, there is still plenty to do in the core game, and with you being gone for awhile, I’m sure there is plenty of new stuff to keep you busy till then hopefully. Like, for example, Living World Season 2 if you missed it. If you’re not keen on getting HoT just yet, pick that up instead in the Gem Store and play through that to get up to date on what is going on with HoT.

Test

Maybe its just me but this sounds to me that its only as big as 4 core world maps, since its only 4 emphasized.

Not saying that each have 1-4 layers ontop of eachother making them much bigger then core maps.

Maybe I should go to mcdonalds and complain that its 20$ for only 100gram of hamburger meat when I buy a combo meal aswell.

(edited by Linken.6345)

Purchasing HoT

SpyderArachnid.5619

Test

Maybe its just me but this sounds to me that its only as big as 4 core world maps, since its only 4 emphasized.

Not saying that each have 1-4 layers ontop of eachother making them much bigger then core maps.

Maybe I should go to mcdonalds and complain that its 20$ for only 100gram of hamburger meat when I buy a combo meal aswell.

Except you’re reading into what they said too much. You’re adding your own conclusions, and then trying to argue with them based on your own assumptions of things they never said.

They simply said 4 new PvE maps. Only 4. Yeah they have multiple layers, but they are indeed only 4 PvE maps. Those multiple layers are not entire maps, they are only pieces. It’s not like an entirely new map on each level. It’s only a few platforms or a few tunnels. So technically, it’s like one and a half, maybe two maps in one.

Purchasing HoT

Linken.6345

Test

Except you’re reading into what they said too much. You’re adding your own conclusions, and then trying to argue with them based on your own assumptions of things they never said.

They simply said 4 new PvE maps. Only 4. Yeah they have multiple layers, but they are indeed only 4 PvE maps. Those multiple layers are not entire maps, they are only pieces. It’s not like an entirely new map on each level. It’s only a few platforms or a few tunnels. So technically, it’s like one and a half, maybe two maps in one.

And here you are proving my point its more then 4 maps, we even dont have to load bettwen the layers as we do in every core game map. 1½-2 for each map is bigger then 1

Purchasing HoT

SpyderArachnid.5619

Test

And here you are proving my point its more then 4 maps, we even dont have to load bettwen the layers as we do in every core game map. 1½-2 for each map is bigger then 1

And yet, it is still 4 PvE Maps. Regardless of layers, they are PvE maps. So… only 4 PvE maps.

You do realize some of the old maps have multiple layers as well right? There is plenty of old maps that have lower levels and upper levels too. Are they not considered PvE maps because they use multiple layers? No. In the end, they are still PvE maps.

Again, you’re trying to make a big deal out of something that was never said.

Purchasing HoT

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Regardless, the price of the expansion is $50, and now there’s plenty of information out there that can help you determine if it’s worth it to you. If it is worth the cost to you, you can buy it. If not, you can opt not to buy it and/or wait until the price reaches a point you agree with.

The decision to call it a “bundle” was poorly handled, but the issue has been discussed pretty comprehensively since the price was announced in June.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Purchasing HoT

Posted by: Eddie Mo.7169

Eddie Mo.7169

Test

And yet, it is still 4 PvE Maps. Regardless of layers, they are PvE maps. So… only 4 PvE maps.

You do realize some of the old maps have multiple layers as well right? There is plenty of old maps that have lower levels and upper levels too. Are they not considered PvE maps because they use multiple layers? No. In the end, they are still PvE maps.

It’s not only one map if it’s huge. Runescape is only one map. WOW is only a couple of maps. However many maps there are doesn’t dictate their size. Their size dictates their size. This should be obvious.

Purchasing HoT

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Test

Guys, yes there are 4 maps and we all agree they are larger than Core maps. Also Test (check his post history) will have been trying to emphasise “just 4” without explaining the size difference – he has been doomsaying HoT before it even launched and I’m not sure if he even bought it so take his input with a pinch of salt (this is why Linken interpretted Test’s post in the way he did).

Purchasing HoT

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d be spending $50 for something I already have, along with additional content.

Yes, that’s pretty much it.

What ArenaNet has done is that they have basically forced old players to buy the core game again, which in reality translates to paying $50,00 for the expansion while new players pay the same $50,00 and get both the expansion and the core game.

Ah, if you haven’t been told about it, the expansion also doesn’t come with a new character slot. You need to pay (even) more to get one of those.

It’s a bit ridiculous. My suggestion is to not buy HoT right now and instead wait until it goes on sale. Considering all the topics complaining about empty HoT maps, probably that sale will come soon enough.

Actually it’s nothing like this,. Invite everyone to review you’re post history. 99% of your posts are attacks.

Purchasing HoT

Posted by: Eddie Mo.7169

Eddie Mo.7169

Test

Guys, yes there are 4 maps and we all agree they are larger than Core maps. Also Test (check his post history) will have been trying to emphasise “just 4” without explaining the size difference – he has been doomsaying HoT before it even launched and I’m not sure if he even bought it so take his input with a pinch of salt (this is why Linken interpretted Test’s post in the way he did).

Every time I come across Tests posts…

It’s like I revert a little back to how we think humans acted millions of years ago… The urge to eat flesh…

Purchasing HoT

SpyderArachnid.5619

Well, I don’t “forum stalk” people, so I didn’t know about his entire post history. I just go off of what I see currently in the thread I am responding to, not what a poster has said over the years.

The point I was making was, regardless of who the person is, don’t form your own conclusions of what you think they are saying and then try to argue with them over something they never said, but what you formed in your own mind.

Purchasing HoT

Vayne.8563

Well, I don’t “forum stalk” people, so I didn’t know about his entire post history. I just go off of what I see currently in the thread I am responding to, not what a poster has said over the years.

The point I was making was, regardless of who the person is, don’t form your own conclusions of what you think they are saying and then try to argue with them over something they never said, but what you formed in your own mind.

Oh sure, I do that too in multiple threads. For example in this thread he’s saying that Anet is forcing players to buy the old game again, when in fact, that’s not true. Because the old game is zero dollars now. The expansion/upgrade for the game is $50.

Him saying they’re forcing you to buy something that currently has no cost, even though he’s been corrected in other threads, is wrong. He’s simply saying something he believes to be true, with no evidence to back it up. Hell 9 months ago, I bought 2 Guild Wars 2 accounts for $10. It’s entirely reasonable to believe there’s no charge associated with it and no one is paying extra for it.

But there is reason to point out the post history of someone obviously trying to sink the game in my opinion. Because people don’t remember names, and they might take what he says at face value. And as I have a demonstrated bias in favor of the game, he has demostrated a strong bias against it. People should know where he’s coming from.

Purchasing HoT

Coulter.2315

Oh absolutely you wouldn’t know, but I have noticed a pattern with him (without forum stalking he just has an easily remembered name and has posted a lot in threads here in the HoT subforum).

Also your second paragraph is basicly saying “ignore past behaviour” which is pretty bad advice for dating, science and meeting Stalin for the first time.

Purchasing HoT

SpyderArachnid.5619

Oh absolutely you wouldn’t know, but I have noticed a pattern with him (without forum stalking he just has an easily remembered name and has posted a lot in threads here in the HoT subforum).

Also your second paragraph is basicly saying “ignore past behaviour” which is pretty bad advice for dating, science and meeting Stalin for the first time.

We are on a forum. Where discussions are singled out in separate threads. I didn’t tell you to ignore their past behavior, I simply said, and I’ll put it plainly, don’t put words in someone’s mouth that you made up.

I go off what is written in the current discussion. I don’t go run background checks on posters to see what else they have been saying, so I can judge their current post to their past history. I stick to the discussion at hand and comment on what is currently going on. Did they say bad things in the past? Sure, why not. Is it currently affecting this thread? No, it is not.

This thread has gone way off topic, and I apologize for partially being at fault for that OP. I’m going to stop responding in hopes this can get back on track, or, till a moderator closes/deletes it.

(edited by SpyderArachnid.5619)

Purchasing HoT

Vayne.8563

We are on a forum. Where discussions are singled out in separate threads. I didn’t tell you to ignore their past behavior, I simply said, and I’ll put it plainly, don’t put words in someone’s mouth that you made up.

I go off what is written in the current discussion. I don’t go run background checks on posters to see what else they have been saying, so I can judge their current post to their past history. I stick to the discussion at hand and comment on what is currently going on. Did they say bad things in the past? Sure, why not. Is it currently affecting this thread? No, it is not.

This thread has gone way off topic, and I apologize for partially being at fault for that OP. I’m going to stop responding in hopes this can get back on track, or, till a moderator closes/deletes it.

And yet you probably identify me as a white knight as many do and adjust your opinion of what I say accordingly.

Purchasing HoT

Coulter.2315

But that stance is super naive, if you notice a pattern in someone’s posts and notce language that was deliberately vague or misleading you should then marry the two and see the poster’s agenda is coming through (assuming your brain is working).

If Stalin told you “He just stopped showing up for group pictures” would you think “What a scatter brain Sergey is” or “OMG he killed another one!”