Question about hammer auto attack

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: lojer.8576

lojer.8576

We all know in how bad situation was (is?) necro in dungeons/fractals mainly due to lack of cleave on auto attack.

Having in mind that revenant can have only one weapon (like elementalist):
Will revenant hammer #1 auto attack “cleave” (aoe hit)? (like ele staff fire #1 or air #1)

If not, I am afraid that hammer will be unusable in dungeons/fractals due to being very subpar in terms of dmg when fighting trash mobs.

PS Pierce =/= cleave.
PS2 “If closer then less dmg” mechanic is also killer for ranged weapon, which You can’t swap in combat.

(edited by lojer.8576)

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

most ranged auto attacks don’t cleave, so I don’t think it will, depends on skill mechanic

lojer.8576

They don’t cleave because other characters have another weapon on swap, which can cleave. Revenant (like elementalist) don’t have other weapon on swap, so You can’t compare weapons without class mechanic.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

From what i understood, its autoattack creates a shockwave that travels away from Revenant, increasing in damage. If that is true, it won’t have cleave, but it will be an aoe attack. Still, from the same desciption, it’s likely that its dps will be subpar at close distances.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Staff and Sword/mace/axe are confirmed other weapons. We can assume one of these will be the PvE meta (Melee has naturaly higher damage output copared to range).

Snow Crows [SC]

MaXi.3642

They don’t cleave because other characters have another weapon on swap, which can cleave. Revenant (like elementalist) don’t have other weapon on swap, so You can’t compare weapons without class mechanic.

ok, how does all engi and ele weapons cleave? I don’t play engi a lot so I’m not sure, but eles attacks usually don’t cleave except for lightning whip and fireball and chain lightning if you count it as a cleave

From what i understood, its autoattack creates a shockwave that travels away from Revenant, increasing in damage. If that is true, it won’t have cleave, but it will be an aoe attack. Still, from the same desciption, it’s likely that its dps will be subpar at close distances.

why you think that skill described in the article was auto attack? or that auto attack will have the new mechanic too?

(edited by MaXi.3642)

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

We all know in how bad situation was (is?) necro in dungeons/fractals mainly due to lack of cleave on auto attack.

Having in mind that revenant can have only one weapon (like elementalist):
Will revenant hammer #1 auto attack cleave? (like ele staff fire #1 or air #1)

If not, I am afraid that hammer will be unusable in dungeons/fractals due to being very subpar in terms of dmg when fighting trash mobs.

PS Pierce =/= cleave.
PS2 “If closer then less dmg” mechanic is also killer for ranged weapon, which You can’t swap in combat.

Ele fire autoattack on staff doesn’t cleave and that doesn’t stop an ele that sits in fire attunement from being top damage in dungeons.

But I agree that there needs to be a good amount of AoE on the weapon overall to ensure viability in groups, whether it’s from a cleaving autoattack or a low recharge, high damage AoE.

Miku Lawrence.6329

Cleave

Elementalist :

• Lightning Whip
  • Lightning Swing
  • Static Swing

Engineer : No cleaves

AoE autoattacks (not cleave)

Elementalist :

• Fireball
  • Chain lightning

Engineer :

• Fragmentation Shot (Pistol)
  • Grenade
  • Bomb

Pierce

Elementalist :

• Dragon’s claw
  • Vapor blade

Engineer :

• Flame Jet
  • Hip Shot

Lets look at Cleave (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cleave). If you compare these two classes to the others, they have 4 and 0 cleaves compared to at least 7 cleave skills per profession.

The fact that these two do not swap weapons does not mean they have access to more cleaves. It’s actually the opposit.

Snow Crows [SC]

MaXi.3642

Dragon’s claw pierces? never noticed it

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Staff and Sword/mace/axe are confirmed other weapons. We can assume one of these will be the PvE meta (Melee has naturaly higher damage output copared to range).

can I ask were you got staff and sword from since all the weapons they said so far was hammer mace axe

Posted by: PurebladeProductions.4875

PurebladeProductions.4875

From what i understood, its autoattack creates a shockwave that travels away from Revenant, increasing in damage.

That’s skill 2 on the hammer, Coalescence of Ruin. You can tell from the picture’s filename.
Similarly, Field of the Mists is shown as hammer skill 4, Temporal Rift is axe 5 and Embrace The Darkness is Mallyx’s elite skill.

Pureblade – Maelstrom Warriors [MW] – Gandara (EU)
8/9 Professions, Asura Guardian main.

lojer.8576

ok, how does all engi and ele weapons cleave? I don’t play engi a lot so I’m not sure, but eles attacks usually don’t cleave except for lightning whip and fireball and chain lightning if you count it as a cleave

Who told that all attack cleave?

Engi has kits and bomb #1 hits 5 targets, nades #1 hits 2x (3x if traited) 5 targets. (and it is one of the reasons why engis complain about being forced to use kits)

Ele has 2 ranged weapons: staff and scepter.
From staff “dmg attunements”, fire and air #1, hit 3 targets (either by aoe hit around target, or by jumping to next targets). So it isn’t “cleave” by definition like Mike linked, but efect is the same – You can hit at least 3 targets, like (almost all) melee weapon. IMHO this compensate lack of abiility to swap to “cleave” weapon like other classes can.

From scepter only air #1 can hit more than one enemy, but they must be in line, so in reality it doesn’t work. That is one of the reasons why s/f (s/d) builds in pve use lighting hammer – conjured hammer can hit more that one enemy.

Ele fire autoattack on staff doesn’t cleave and that doesn’t stop an ele that sits in fire attunement from being top damage in dungeons.

But I agree that there needs to be a good amount of AoE on the weapon overall to ensure viability in groups, whether it’s from a cleaving autoattack or a low recharge, high damage AoE.

Yes, it doesn’t cleave in “cleave definition” (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cleave), but it still hits 3 targets (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fireball), so end efect is the same and that is what I am trying to ask developers.
———
I know that probably some melee weapon will be the meta, but IMO it isn’t reason to make weapon, which you can’t swap, more subpar to “meta one”.

If now isn’t the best time to talk about it and avoid possible mistakes, then I don’t know when will it be.

Posted by: cyst.3108

cyst.3108

From what i understood, its autoattack creates a shockwave that travels away from Revenant, increasing in damage.

That’s skill 2 on the hammer, Coalescence of Ruin. You can tell from the picture’s filename.
Similarly, Field of the Mists is shown as hammer skill 4, Temporal Rift is axe 5 and Embrace The Darkness is Mallyx’s elite skill.

I just came to say that same thing.

In the post they say tha you wont be trowing maces, wich means yore indeed trowing Hammers as auto atack, or some sort of channel energy from hammer like mesmer wiht GS.

After June 25 im like… 90% happier

lojer.8576

E.g.:
Warrior ( can have GS on one set to dps and sth other on second set (for special tasks):
- axe/mace for dps increase + cc,
- warhorn for support,
- rifle/long bow for ranged, when sth goes wrong,
- etc.
Similar other “swap classes”.

Engi have weapon and kits to do other stuff.

Ele have different attunements for different stuff and conjured weapons.

Revenant have one weapon and that is all.
He is locked in set of only 5 skills. No swap, no kits, no attunements, no conjure, nothing.

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Get a Mace, smart AoE AA confirmed

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: Doctor Faustus.6372

Doctor Faustus.6372

I really don’t care about the hammer since it does more damage the further you’re away from your target. That’s also the reason why Mesmers greatsword is kinda useless.
It’ll find it’s use in pvp i guess but for pve it will be useless.
Let’s see what the sword mainhand will bring!

[vC] Doctor Faustus.6372

Posted by: raubvogel.5071

raubvogel.5071

i’m not a fan of that either. you have to keep your enemies away to get the proper damage and that sucks.

Miku Lawrence.6329

can I ask were you got staff and sword from since all the weapons they said so far was hammer mace axe

Yes, the HoT trailer. Staff used as a melee weapon and sword as some multihit melee/backstab.

Snow Crows [SC]