Question about professions.

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Kuulpb.5412

Kuulpb.5412

Ok it’s been almost 4 years now of GW2, and I STILL haven’t decided a main profession ( as I want one just so I can actually focus on something for once) I will have a quick list of things about each prof. I probably wont be able to decide easily, as insert long story about my childhood. Anyway, here is the last:

Warrior – Pros: 1st character, Completed all of the stories first on them, fully geared as PS war in raids – Cons: The colour is bad ( I don’t like orange much), Too many warriors already, not good at pvp, low condi removal, Boring, Has a name that got me multiple whispers that ended up with multiple people blocked due to their idiocy and lack of care for other people.

Guardian – Pros: Nice Colour, I like supporting somehow – Cons: a lot of guardians, Drgaonhunters, my 3 swarn enemies are guardians.

Revenant – Pros: Lore-based profession, I liked ritualist a lot in GW1 ( not as much as dervish). nice colour. Cons – People only want herald, Staff isn’t damage like a dervish’s scythe, has weapon swap but only one underwater weapon because GW2 didn’t want to stick to their idea.

Ranger: Pros: Pet, Idea of Adventurer, Can support. Cons: TOO supporty with druid, Not liked by a lot of people ( including myself) because of the dreaded Longbow 4 in stack…

Engineer: Pros – Unique style, cons: I don’t like engineer playstyle.

Thief: Pros – Can kill easily Cons – I feel it’s slightly “cheap” in the way they work, No cooldowns, tons of mitigation etc etc.

Mesmer: – Pros: I liked Mesmer in GW1, cons:_ not Mesmer in GW1, Weak damage

Elementalist – Pros: high damage, group support, Cons – Staff 1 fire is just…. overused by everyone who can’t play ele.

Necormancer: – Pros – Only character I “designed”, Full geared for condi in raids. Cons – Reaper has been nerfed in the condition department, leaving me weaker in pvp than i’d like to be ( especially vs cheap thieves, spamming sword 3), Lack of non-condi ccs meaning if something is immune to condis and must be CCd ( like HoT end boss when it CONSTANTLY bugs) it’s extremely hard to do so.

I really wish there was a dervish profession in gw2, that was tanky, the f1-4 would change their stats ( even slightly like one is more power based, one is toughness based etc) and Had a scythe/melee staff ( I know a lot of people want this too, but something similar ot it might make me stop being AS indecisive) And in GW1 I was constantly indecisive too, I ended up with no main because I wanted a prophecies Devrish so I could get Gwen’s Flute.

Anyway – Help please!

Some days I feel like I can’t go on…. and then I eat Garlic.

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

My diagnosis is that you suffer from altoholicism lmao.
But as GW2 is basically Fashion Wars 2, the way I would proceed to choose a main would be primarily based on the Armor Weight. If it is Heavy armor styles you prefer, I feel like Revenant would suit you best as none of the “cons” of your list prevent you from enjoying it fully. If medium, I think you would enjoy Ranger the most because the “too much support” con is absolutely not right, especially the way I play my Druid. If Light Armor, it seems you prefer Ele, however, given the effort you put into your Necro, I think you should stick to it, as gearing a character for a raid can be quite a hassle

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If it’s been 4 years

• You should admit to yourself that you are never going to decide. (And that’s fine — there’s no need to be focused on one prof).
  • You should consider patenting whatever time machine you’ve invented, that allows you to go forward 4 months in the future.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Kuulpb.5412

My time machine only works at 3 months forward and back, not 4 sadly. it’s a weird bug. and I’ll try those 4 professions more, Revenant, Ranger, Ele and Necro to see which I like more in terms of the feel. thanks!

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

You seem like a person that has a lot of love to give… Play with every profession, get ascended armor for light, mid and heavy and share it.

This game becomes more fun with alt.

Kuulpb.5412

Ok, After testing.. it is rather hard to play one for a few reasons: Warrior – Boring, played too much. Guardian – not my sytle. Revenant – easily killing pvp and wvw since i’m not a “meta” build I think… Ranger – Feels weak and squishy, Thief – style, Engineer – Style, Necromancer – SO many necromancers. I feel uncomfortable and not as unique as usual, Elem – extremely squishy, Mesmer – weak imho.

So That pretty much means profs I feel like I can play (Rev, necro, Ranger) feel either Weak, or overused. I have this thing where I want a least used prof that is hard to master, or even play averagely well, that I like. Which.. is impossible, since ones I like are either easy (necro reaper shroud, herald spam sword 1) or they are oens i’m not keen on but are “hard” to master e.g. Engie.

Any ideas how to not feel so unconfident when choosing?