Question about unlocking masteries

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: aurensei.5283

aurensei.5283

Hey everyone!
Just got HoT and have a question about unlocking masteries. Thing is, I haven’t started Season 2 yet (just finished my Personal Story and read through the recap of events of Season 1). But to unlock masteries the mastery tab says I have to play through Torn from the Sky – in other words to start HoT. But! I don’t want any spoilers and I want to finish S2 first. On the other hand I want to unlock gliding. So, how do I do that? Can I start HoT, play through Torn from the Sky to unlock masteries and then start S2 and play trough it?

~ Crystal Desert ~

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

I wouldn’t worry about unlocking gliding yet, play through LWS2. Torn from the Sky picks up where LWS2 ends, and gliding requires you to play HoT content to learn. So if you don’t want spoilers, just keep on with LWS2. HoT will be there when you get to it (and so will gliding).

aurensei.5283

I wouldn’t worry about unlocking gliding yet, play through LWS2. Torn from the Sky picks up where LWS2 ends, and gliding requires you to play HoT content to learn. So if you don’t want spoilers, just keep on with LWS2. HoT will be there when you get to it (and so will gliding).

Thanks for quick reply
I just wanted to unlock gliding a.s.a.p. because I like doing jumping puzzles and from what I’ve heard gliding helps a lot

Also, do my levels (after 80) still count even if masteries aren’t unlocked?

~ Crystal Desert ~

(edited by aurensei.5283)

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

If you don’t want spoilers you’ll hve to finish LWS2 first, then start HoT. You won’t be able to unlock gliding without startin HoT so it’s an either – or scenario.

Before you activate masteries you get spirit shards for each time you “level up” at level 80. This changes in that once you unlock masteries your earned experience goes towards different mastery tracks. Once a mastery track is full experience wise you can learn it via mastery points (which you get seperate for Tyria and HoT). You won’t be able to gain spirit shards for a long time though via leveling.

Gliding does help with jumping puzzles in Tyria, but it was never required before and is not required now. I’d say finish the story, move on to HoT and then go from there.

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

No you don’t get any more “levels” after 80, but if you complete all of the masteries you will get a Spirit Shard every time you fill the XP bar. You can unlock gliding if you want, but it will require you to only do HoT content to level it up. You can’t level it while doing Core Tyria/LWS2 content.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

Thanks for quick reply
I just wanted to unlock gliding a.s.a.p. because I like doing jumping puzzles and from what I’ve heard gliding helps a lot

Just go ahead and start the story so you get gliding. I did it and don’t regret it. Gliding is fun and the spoilers you get from the start of the chapter aren’t that significant in my opinion. As soon as I got gliding, I went back to where I left the story.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Even as someone who loves gliding, I chose to keep to the story. I recommend you do the same, on the whole, it’s not all that long a wait.

There’s definitely S2 spoilers in Torn from the Sky. It’s very possible you already know of this, but there is a huge reveal at the end of S2 that is completely in the open in HoT, already in the first instance. There’s also a resolution to a question from S2 that happens there.

(edited by Tanner Blackfeather.6509)

Posted by: hornswroggle.8023

hornswroggle.8023

Thanks for quick reply

Also, do my levels (after 80) still count even if masteries aren’t unlocked?

Gliding is Disabled in most JPs, at least in Core Tyria, they even have a “No-Fly-Debuff”.

Assuming “still count” means you still get XP for spirit shards: I think so (?). But once you started you won’t get Spirit shards in Core Tyria or Maguuma until you have all masteries of the respective area unlocked and activated.

Have fun in the Jungle
Cheers

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t believe you will be awarded Spirit Shards for leveling up after 80 until you have maxed all the Mastery tracks for either Core or Heart of Thorns (depending on the region you are in when you level-up again).

You will, however, receive Spirit Shards as occasional drops, and from other sources.

Welcome to Tyria, and good luck.

aurensei.5283

Thank you very much for all your answers

~ Crystal Desert ~

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Dang kids. Back in my day we leveled by killin’ stuff. Didn’t have none of this fancy book learnin. Didn’t have TIME to read books. Too busy walkin’ everywhere so’s to kill evil and defend Tyria so little whippersnappers like you could grow up to learn adventurin’ from books and ruin all my sunshine with yer flyin whatsits!

Why I remember when we fought champions SOLO in EXOTIC gear! You hear me Youngin’? EXOTIC! And we was HAPPY to have it too! Weren’t none of that fancy pink infused nonsense. Just good old fashioned, metal, cloth, and leather with gemstones jammed in to it at regular intervals.

If’n you wanted one o’ them fancy legendary swords you had to indiscriminately purge every living thing within’ yer field of view until you found the one what had yer precursor!

And then ya had to go world complete in the durn mists, where whole ARMIES was out to get ya!

I tell ya. Darn kids don’t appreciate nuthin’

<grumble grumble durn kids grumble>

;)

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I would say that starting HoT without completing LS2 would be the biggest spoiler in the game. I highly recommend finishing LS2 before starting HoT.

NOTE: I’m a very serious casual, and I live for the stories. (I’m 15 characters away from completing all of the core Tyria storyline missions on one account. Without re-using character slots. Some would call that masochism.) So, take the above with a grain of salt.