Questioning Dragon Stand loot phase design

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

So, as we know, after you complete the meta event and the boss, new areas are opened up and people go exploring and looking for noxious pods for about 15 minutes before the map kicks them out into another map that is probably well on its way to failing right?

In these exploration phase, Arenanet designers have thought it’d be a good idea to throw in champion and legendary mobs in these explorable areas, with connected events to kill these mobs. I can only assume that Arenanet believes that this would encourage players to utilize their limited time to gather crystalline ore instead killing mobs for a little xp and a champ bag. This seems to be delusional and COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS to actual player behavior, which is: Run for the noxious pods, dodge through the mobs, every man for himself, and hope the mobs aren’t targeting me, and wow, that guy who got steamrolled by all the mobs, sux 2 b them, I don’t have time to help them.

This doesn’t stick with core philosophies of cooperative gameplay and a helpful community that Arenanet bases this game around. Instead it just seems like they were trying to encourage cooperation, but instead encouraged a level of selfishness that would make Ayn Rand proud.

Either the champ/legendary events in the post Mordy phase need to go, or those champ/legendaries need to give crystalline ore for killing them, enough to make it a lucrative option for commanders to lead a team to kill the legendaries rather than graveyard zerg through them and hope they’re not the one that gets focus fired.

The rest of the normal and veteran mobs are generally fine it just sticks out like a sore thumb that there’s an event to kill a legendary mob that nobody is stupid enough to actually waste their precious time doing for a champ bag.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Yeah it’s a good slap in the face compared to the Auric Basin meta where you can loot the chests at your leisure…

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

or those champ/legendaries need to give crystalline ore for killing them,

I completely support this. Crystalline Ore is fairly hard to come by… like Empyreal Fragments and Dragonite Ore always should have been. Adding them as a reward for killing these foes would be a good incentive. Perhaps ArenaNet doesn’t want players to be running an Event/Pod train after completing the meta though… for some completely legit reason.

Actually, I’m surprised there aren’t arbitrary achievements for killing these foes.

Devildoc.6721

Another idea is, don’t give a fixed 15 minute window after the boss fight to do the loot phase, but rather let people take all the time between the finish of their map and the start of fresh maps. If they finish in under an hour, well then they have an hour in which to find noxious pods, explore the map, and kill these legendary and champion event mobs that maybe give some crystalline ore as rewards.

I mean, I’m all for a way to encourage people to group together and kill these champs, but the current timer and loot from those mobs, and scarcity of crystalline ore, does not allow for this.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I was on a map that beat the boss last night, and the game crashed after I looted the main chest (luckily not before), but even though I was in a group, when I logged back in I was on a map that did not seem to have beaten the boss, couple not join back into the map I was on, it gave me an “Internet error” message when I tried, rather than the “map full” message. So basically I wasn’t able to experience this “post boss” map yet. Bummer. GG, ANet.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I was on a map that beat the boss last night, and the game crashed after I looted the main chest (luckily not before), but even though I was in a group, when I logged back in I was on a map that did not seem to have beaten the boss, couple not join back into the map I was on, it gave me an “Internet error” message when I tried, rather than the “map full” message. So basically I wasn’t able to experience this “post boss” map yet. Bummer. GG, ANet.

Sounds like the whole instance crashed and not just you.

One – Piken Square

Ohoni.6057

Perhaps, although it did crash my client. That would explain why my other group members (it was a pug, so I didn’t know them well) were not responding to my groupchat during that phase, and why they all showed up in my new map right before the Dragon kicked everyone out. I figured that map had just ended slightly earlier than the one I ended up on and they got booted to mine, but maybe they were all logged out until then.

done by now.”

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Actually from what I’m hearing they seem to have an actual block on joining finished DS maps, I think one of the devs made a comment about not wanting people to be just taxi’ing into finished maps to loot without participation in the actual events.
So once you’re out I don’t think you can get back in at all, at least I haven’t found anyone who was able to join during the loot phase.

Anyone confirm they’ve been able to join during that window?

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Ohoni.6057

Well that’s just awful then. If you help to complete the map you should be able to get back in to loot the rewards you earned. You shouldn’t miss out on those rewards just because the game client kittened the bed.

done by now.”

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

This is clearly an issue I noticed myself. Be cause the time is so limited no one is caring for the bosses. The idea behind it is similar to SW where you kill some champs for loot. But the issue here is that those Pods only appear during this very limited time. Then you have to wait/fight another 2h which is bad design.

I see two solutions:
1. Noxious Pods are available anytime
2. Give us more time after we finished this map’s meta event or even as long as we want. The map closes anyway so it is irrelevant what happens to this map and people will eventually leave since noting happens here anymore (unless I overlooked something here, correct me if I am wrong)

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Devildoc.6721

Yeah if the noxious pods weren’t a thing commanders would be leading groups to kill the legendary mushroom emperor for more loot.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Because the Labyrinth post-Vinewrath isn’t the same? How many times do you think someone’s stopped and rez’d me if I’m one of the unlucky ones who get targeted and insta-killed?

None.

It’s fine.

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

Because the Labyrinth post-Vinewrath isn’t the same? How many times do you think someone’s stopped and rez’d me if I’m one of the unlucky ones who get targeted and insta-killed?

None.

It’s fine.

Unlike Labyrinth you don’t have a universal mechanic that gives everybody the same amount of tankiness. You get turned into a ball and are invincible to dogs during that sequence most of the time if you do it right. You can even actively stun the mobs. Adding to this…EVERY CLASS dies in one hit, the only mechanics to kind of work in distracting the dogs are stealth and clones and even those don’t save you for all that long. The labyrinth is easy to run, but when you have so many mobs that you cannot escape all that well and that nobody wants to fight it is problematic. Classes with low hp pools get destroyed and those without significant ways to avoid damage just have trouble even getting to the pods. Try a shadowscale jumping on you and see how fast you get annoyed with it. You also have to kill the mobs to even think about opening these pods because they take a second to open unlike the labyrinth pods.

Posted by: Wahaha.7938

Wahaha.7938

It’s kind of different from other loot phases in the game but I’m fine with it, it’s fun to run around as fast as possible dodging monsters.

Posted by: Abdel Muhti.6431

Abdel Muhti.6431

Im totally with you that the actual way the rush to the pods is done may look horrible for players that often kiss the ground while trying to stay alive in an dangerous environment.

First time i was afraid… sings

Thats the way the majority of the players chose their way. Of course there is enough time to cooperate and slay the foes surrounding the pods. But hey… you cant dodge through this easy area? kitten Community says: L2P.

Imagine: This is actually “the last” map with the hardest hitting mobs. It is highly wanted that you dont just ./walk through the content and pick up the shinies while also picking flowers and whistle a song.

Enjoy the pleasure you feel when u once get a crystalline ore and save it to get the awesome magic items from the “dragon isle vendor”. Work for it. You are a strong hero.

Posted by: Inverse.2967

Inverse.2967

The upper lever super high-scale mob-ridden area is about as defective by design as the mordrem invasion event was.

Either ditch the enemies entirely or make a proper event that requires killing all of them to make some super big noxious pod spawn.

Current state of it is another iteration of lessons not learned… again… all over!
Disappointing.

Posted by: LeSavage.1359

LeSavage.1359

This is literally the biggest bullkitten ever.
I dont play a class with stealth so i cant pass freely through mobs and guess next time ill have to go on mesmer/thief/engi. Today i did mistake by not following zerg to noxious pods, in 15 minutes all i did was opening 5 noxious pods alone because i was dying to those legendary mobs. Even in zerg ppl dont bother to ress its just who 1st gets to pods-wins and teleport out. Great system 10/10. You might aswell delete machetes from vendor cause im stacked as kitten due to this bullkitten. Legendary mobs or pods, not both. The top of this pile of kitten is treasure mushrooms that spawns only at that time.

(edited by LeSavage.1359)

Copestetic.5174

This is literally the biggest bullkitten ever.
I dont play a class with stealth so i cant pass freely through mobs and guess next time ill have to go on mesmer/thief/engi. Today i did mistake by not following zerg to noxious pods, in 15 minutes all i did was opening 5 noxious pods alone because i was dying to those legendary mobs. Even in zerg ppl dont bother to ress its just who 1st gets to pods-wins and teleport out. Great system 10/10. You might aswell delete machetes from vendor cause im stacked as kitten due to this bullkitten. Legendary mobs or pods, not both. The top of this pile of kitten is treasure mushrooms that spawns only at that time.

None of my classes have stealth either, and I usually open 10-15 Noxious Pods. Killed? A few times, but no biggy, since there’s WP’s pretty close by the “loot zones”. If I aggro, I’ll just run ahead to drop it and return.

It’s really a non-issue.

Devildoc.6721

None.

It’s fine.

Labyrinth was an entirely different situation. You’re not intended by Anet to kill the wolves. These champs and legendaries are intended to be killed during this 15 minute window. That is the disconnect between Developer Design and player behavior.

The labyrinth gives a way to be invulnerable to the wolves, and also a waypoint and anvil right outside the exit.

These explorable areas in DS, might have their nearest waypoints contested. You may spend an extra 2 minutes (out of a tight 15) running back to try and get pods, and no there is no pickups to make you invulnerable to champ and legendary one shots.

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

I think the Noxious Pods are available even without having beaten the Mouth, but in extremely limited quantities…I only say this because I once was standing next to one on a brand new map(without any way to open it of course, since it was my first time in DS not doing the story).

Copestetic.5174

None.

It’s fine.

Labyrinth was an entirely different situation. You’re not intended by Anet to kill the wolves. These champs and legendaries are intended to be killed during this 15 minute window. That is the disconnect between Developer Design and player behavior.

The labyrinth gives a way to be invulnerable to the wolves, and also a waypoint and anvil right outside the exit.

These explorable areas in DS, might have their nearest waypoints contested. You may spend an extra 2 minutes (out of a tight 15) running back to try and get pods, and no there is no pickups to make you invulnerable to champ and legendary one shots.

I don’t think I’ve seen the nearest WP’s contested in DS once the Meta’s over. Not saying it can’t happen, but I’ve yet to see it happen.

Plot twist: Maybe instead of this supposed “disconnect between Developer Design and player behavior.” Isn’t a disconnect at all? Maybe it’s intentional to add even more value on the contents of Noxious Pods.

If that’s what they were going for, seeing as how this forum even exists, it’s working.

Devildoc.6721

None.

It’s fine.

I don’t think I’ve seen the nearest WP’s contested in DS once the Meta’s over. Not saying it can’t happen, but I’ve yet to see it happen.

Plot twist: Maybe instead of this supposed “disconnect between Developer Design and player behavior.” Isn’t a disconnect at all? Maybe it’s intentional to add even more value on the contents of Noxious Pods.

If that’s what they were going for, seeing as how this forum even exists, it’s working.

it can happen. I’ve been on the receiving end of that one. The legendary wyvern contested the waypoint when I got killed by the legendary mushroom emperor.

Of course, neither legendary mob got killed. Nobody even tried killing them.

If they’re not INTENDED BY ANET to be killed, why do they have events?

Copestetic.5174

None.

It’s fine.

it can happen. I’ve been on the receiving end of that one. The legendary wyvern contested the waypoint when I got killed by the legendary mushroom emperor.

Of course, neither legendary mob got killed. Nobody even tried killing them.

If they’re not INTENDED BY ANET to be killed, why do they have events?

As I mentioned: To increase the value of the content in Noxious Pods.

Devildoc.6721

If they were meant to just be skipped while you looted pods, there wouldn’t be an event.

Let’s go back to the silverwastes labyrinth.

Because you aren’t intended to kill the invincible one shotting mordrem wolves….. there is no event to kill them. You’re intended to avoid the wolves because they cannot be killed, one shot anyone they catch, and there’s a mechanic in the labyrinth which gives you speed, immunity to the wolves, and the ability to stun them.

In Dragon’s Stand? There’s events to KILL the legendary mushroom emperor, the legendary wyvern, and I think a champion/legendary stonehead in one of the other sections.

(edited by Devildoc.6721)

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Do you get any reward other than a champ bag for beating the loot phase champs? Maybe they give something decent.

Devildoc.6721

Do you get any reward other than a champ bag for beating the loot phase champs? Maybe they give something decent.

Honestly I don’t know, I just know that no group ever even bothers trying to fight them.

To me it seems like Arenanet didn’t take player behavior into consideration when designing these events, that’s what this thread is about. Anet designs something with an intent that fits with the themes of the rest of the game (friendly community, people working together), but makes a mistake on something (limited time to collect pods, pods are only real source of crystalline ore outside of repeating the story, which can only be done once per char) and the resulting player behavior is instead of being friendly, helpful, and working together, people become selfish instead.

I mean if a designer comes in the thread and says “well we really just wanted to deceive our players and distract them from getting the pods, and we thought just for once we wanted people to be ruthless and unhelpful to each other in PVE, so that you’d resent other players around you because, this whole game is too carebear and there’s too much positivity in our game where we remove most of the issues where players might get in conflicts with each other (well, eliminating ALL sources of player conflict in an MMO is impossible, but eliminating kill stealing, node ninjaing, loot ninjaing and allowing everyone to res and separating PVP from PVE does help). We for once wanted players to be bitter and hate each other’s guts.”

Well then I’d stand corrected.

But I don’t think that was the intent.

Copestetic.5174

We for once wanted players to be bitter and hate each other’s guts."

Big whoop, there’s an event. The real question is are Legendary bosses tied to an achievement? If so, then yes, they’re there to be killed. If not, well, there’s events going on in Queensdale right this second. I better get there because the developer’s wanted me to do them. But wait, there’s also some in Fireheart Rise, and Southsun Cove, and even Auric Basin!

Point is, big deal. It’s another event. There’s thousands of them. Unless the legendaries are tied to an achievement, I doubt they’ll be killed too often. The loot they drop is crap compared to what the Noxious Pods drop. We all know that.

And your view of people hating each other just because a loot phase was set-up to be a little more difficult to get through’s straight SJW/tumblr worthy. You say people are unhelpful and selfish. I constantly see people trying to rez downed players, banners all over the place, random Aegis boons, Swiftness, and stealth. I even see players trying to thin the mobs out a little.

Point being, you make it sound like this horrible thing, but it’s really not.

(edited by Copestetic.5174)

Devildoc.6721

We for once wanted players to be bitter and hate each other’s guts."

Big whoop, there’s an event. The real question is are Legendary bosses tied to an achievement? If so, then yes, they’re there to be killed. If not, well, there’s events going on in Queensdale right this second. I better get there because the developer’s wanted me to do them. But wait, there’s also some in Fireheart Rise, and Southsun Cove, and even Auric Basin!

Point is, big deal. It’s another event. There’s thousands of them. Unless the legendaries are tied to an achievement, I doubt they’ll be killed too often. The loot they drop is crap compared to what the Noxious Pods drop. We all know that.

Anytime there’s an event, it is yes, a goal that the developers want players to be able to complete. It’s intended that you complete the events when you’re in the area with them.