Quick and Dirty Guide to Breakbars

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Focus Water skill 4 is a Knockback

Since when ?

Hmm, maybe that’s Warhorn. Probably an error on my part.

Or words to that effect.

Labjax.2465

Ya I read that, but you left out so many and such obvious ones that your list was completely pointless. Nearly every response in this entire thread is people listing CCs you missed, which makes for a fun discussion. /eyeroll

People know what abilities provide CC.

It makes for a thread full of helpful responses, is what it makes for. Your negativity is noted, but ultimately serves no purpose other than to give me something to get annoyed at and something to distract me from updating this thread.

Next time you get the urge to make such a response in this thread, write down some “skills that people know already,” in detail, with good formatting, and maybe you’ll feel a little better about yourself. And hey, if you post it, you’ll even be contributing something.

Thanks.

So if I am reading this correctly

Hard CC Direct Break Bar damage
Daze, Float, Knockback, Knockdown, Launch , Pull, Sink, Stun

Soft CC damage over time to break bar
Blind, Chilled, Crippled, Fear, Immobile, Slow, Taunt, Weakness

I am guessing as a thief daredevil I would use the combo below on the blue break bar?

Distracting Dagger
Impairing Daggers
Steal – if you have the right setup
fist furry – palm strike
impact strike – uppercut
stealth ability 1
4-3-2-4-3-2

1 Knockdown from stealth 2 sec
2 Weakness – 2 sec
3 Cripple – 6 sec
4 Blind – 5 sec

Distracting dagger = Daze 1/4 sec
fist furry -> palm strike = Stun 2 Sec
Imparing Daggers = Slow 4 sec, Immobilize 2 sec

Elite
Impact Strike – Daze 2 sec
—-> Uppercut – Launch 2 sec

I can’t comment intelligently on the details of the combos without looking into it more, but it looks like the right idea. Also, I’m going to have to re-check Taunt. Someone was saying it’s hard CC and the one time I tested it closely, it did seem that way, but I’m not 100% sure on that one.

I’m thinking about putting suggested Combos in the OP, but I will probably be relying heavily on the input of other players if I do that. I’m jack of all trades, but master of none when it comes to a lot of the classes, so sometimes I miss the finer details.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I have found the Tempest is HORRIBLE for breaking bars.

Also asura’s Technobabble is OP for breaking them (asura still need to be purged).

Staff ele is pretty good for breaking them, necros are fantastic and engis are great as well.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

(edited by morrolan.9608)

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

For mace warriors, skill 3, 5 and the adrenaline skill all provide stuns. In berserk mode you can use the adrenaline skill quite often with the proper traits which gives the warrior acess to alot of hard cc. You can swap out the offhand mace for a shield to get a stun on skill 4 aswell. If you want to go even further you can take the hammer. Berserker elite also stuns and there is a new launch skill for berserkers. All in all, if you NEED to break that bar they sure have a TON of tools. These aren’t even all of them.

Posted by: Mallis.4295

Mallis.4295

Forgot hammer SW for guard which knockbacks on AA plus knockdown on active. Also you should make a note that there are enemies which you do not want to break the breakbar of since it makes them much more difficult.

(edited by Mallis.4295)

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Here’s some more Ranger ones you can add that I know work(from experience):
LB #5(Cripple)
Axe(MH) #3(Chill)
Axe(MH) #4(Pull)

P.S. – Excellent idea by the way, it’s amazing how many people don’t realize that by breaking the Break Bar you can also shorten the fight as it often gives the enemy Vulnerability, thereby increasing the amount of damage they take from players. You might want to even include that in your original post somewhere.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

It makes for a thread full of helpful responses, is what it makes for. Your negativity is noted, but ultimately serves no purpose other than to give me something to get annoyed at and something to distract me from updating this thread.

Next time you get the urge to make such a response in this thread, write down some “skills that people know already,” in detail, with good formatting, and maybe you’ll feel a little better about yourself. And hey, if you post it, you’ll even be contributing something.

Thanks.

No it doesn’t make a thread of helpful responses, this is all a waste of time. If someone genuinely has no idea their profession has CC, they can go to the wiki for a comprehensive list instead of this jumble of repeats and ad hoc posts.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Control_effect
Click on an effect and it will list every single skill in the game that causes it.

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

From the way it’s listed in the wiki all condi CCs are soft CCs. Taunt is included under hard CC now (before launch it was a condition like fear and benefited from condi duration). Therefore Taunt should be put under hard CC and fear soft.

Edit: tested taunt and it clearly works like fear. It’s a strong DoT therefore it’s a soft CC. Tested it by using beastly warden on champion arrowhead HP. I’m not aware if it still benefits from condi duration…

PS: fear and taunt might look like hard CC because both remove a huge chunk of the breakbar the method of differentiating them is by looking at the rate of depletion Soft CCs have a constant rate while hard CCs start fast then slow down.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

(edited by Varezenem.2813)

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Taunt is listed under hard. Fear is a hard CC because it interrupts.

Soft = "Mechanically, they are not actual control effects (i.e. they don’t interrupt when they are applied, and traits that trigger on “disable” will not trigger on them)"

Labjax.2465

No it doesn’t make a thread of helpful responses, this is all a waste of time. If someone genuinely has no idea their profession has CC, they can go to the wiki for a comprehensive list instead of this jumble of repeats and ad hoc posts.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Control_effect
Click on an effect and it will list every single skill in the game that causes it.

Several people have already found this thread helpful and that’s just counting the ones who posted to say so. I don’t know what version of reality you’re living in bro, but it’s clearly another dimension.

Taunt is listed under hard. Fear is a hard CC because it interrupts.

Soft = "Mechanically, they are not actual control effects (i.e. they don’t interrupt when they are applied, and traits that trigger on “disable” will not trigger on them)"

Yeah, this makes sense.

From the way it’s listed in the wiki all condi CCs are soft CCs. Taunt is included under hard CC now (before launch it was a condition like fear and benefited from condi duration). Therefore Taunt should be put under hard CC and fear soft.

Edit: tested taunt and it clearly works like fear. It’s a strong DoT therefore it’s a soft CC. Tested it by using beastly warden on champion arrowhead HP. I’m not aware if it still benefits from condi duration…

PS: fear and taunt might look like hard CC because both remove a huge chunk of the breakbar the method of differentiating them is by looking at the rate of depletion Soft CCs have a constant rate while hard CCs start fast then slow down.

From the little testing I’ve done, I’m pretty sure Taunt did an immediate chunk. Which ability did you use to taunt? I was using Rev’s taunt.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Can you address the phase after the mob is stunned and regenerates its break bar and immune to consume break-bar?

rhodoc, are you referring to this

So CC makes the breakbar regenerate faster after you have broken it?

or something else?

Axial: From my testing, I’m seeing no such indication. CC simply has no impact on the brown, or “broken” breakbar.

Actually i was referring the state which u mentioned as “brownish color”. I wanted to this state should be documented more clearly

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Posted by: Varezenem.2813

Varezenem.2813

The trait is the upper GM in beast mastery.

Senbu Ren[Wind]
Herald of Ventari

Posted by: Gaaroth.2567

Gaaroth.2567

So, what you are saying is, while the mob is immune to CC effects, we should use CC skills on them?

Sounds like using CC at any time is a good idea. =)

well, depends, for bossese where the bar is up only in particular moments, you should save them for that, laso, for the exact case, you should think to bring an additional CC to speed up the breaking ;-)

Tempest & Druid
Wat r u, casul?

Posted by: Yol.1685

Yol.1685

Warrior rifle 5 (rifle butt) has knockback.

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

Ranger tip: Muddy Terrain seems to work really well on breakbars. And I’m thinking Immobilize is a hard CC.

Edit: Ok, Immobilize may not technically quallify (no interrupt), but it does seem to apply immediate damage to breakbars.

(edited by Naevius.3185)

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

How do multiple applications of soft cc like immobilize work? Since it normally only has 3 active duration stacks going at a time, is it the same with breakbars, with every application after the fourth not doing anything until the first stack has worn off?

Posted by: MrDeVil.1543

MrDeVil.1543

Thanks for the thread OP. It’s a very useful Idiot’s Guide which was much needed.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

The Tempest’s lightning atunement is pretty much a breakbar destroyer, especially with the warhorn equipped. The #4 skill on warhorn travels in a line and rapidly depletes a breakbar, usually to about half of its normal level. The lightning atunement overload produces an electrical field which causes allies to do dazing strikes, receive stun barriers and some other neat stuff that is useful against breakbars.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

Ranger : i giggled at the “if you don’t know this you’re probably a ranger” for LB #4.
Add Glyph of the Tides, it’s a kb, Glyph of Equality is a stun, Celestial Avatar #3 is a daze, and you get an aoe daze when switching to staff with Primal Echoes.

Labjax.2465

Sorry about some of the inaccuracies or straight up neglect in this guide. Glad it’s still helping people. I really do mean to update it, it’s just a lot of dull guide composition work and I haven’t gotten around to it.

Thanks for your continued interest and input.

Ranger : i giggled at the “if you don’t know this you’re probably a ranger” for LB #4.

Hehe. Was wondering if somebody would catch that. Being melee in pug zergs with rangers in them brought that comment out in me. :P

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Yojimaru.4980

Yojimaru.4980

Staff ele is pretty good for breaking them, necros are fantastic and engis are great as well.

Eeeeeh…. not really. Gust (air 3) is quite slow moving and very unreliable against moving targets or elevation differences, Static Field (air 5) only applies the stun at the very edges of the aoe, which makes it quite tricky to use for clutch breakbars, Unsteady Ground (earth 4) also suffers the same problem that Static Field does. You have to lead it quite a bit in front of a stationary target for it to effect them, and if you don’t place it correctly it does nothing. So that pretty much leaves with with loads of soft CC, outside of our utilities/elites.

Posted by: Mallis.4295

Mallis.4295

It should really be direct damage and DoT insead of Hard/Soft CC. Fear and Taunt are both Hard CC but do DoT damage. Daze is soft CC but does direct damage. Weakness and Blind aren’t even CC at all.

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

sticky this

The rest of this post is meaningless fluff so I could write the two words above.

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

Longbow skill 4 is a Knockback (if you don’t know this already, you’re probably a Ranger)

How true. Half the fun in this game is making warriors chase mobs all over the map with my ranger knockback

I especially enjoy rescuing thieves from certain death in WvW with a well-timed knockback. I aim for the aoe circles; there is often a thief on top of them.

Posted by: Electra.7530

Electra.7530

Very useful thread. When I run these HoT maps with my friend, (he’s a ranger, I’m a Mesmer) we can see here how to help each other better with your analysis. Thanks.